Next United Manager: Pep Guardiola?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LR7

His philosophy mightn't suit your "tradition", but I think Van Gaal is going to end having changed United's style to a more possession based one.
That isn't the point I made. It's irrelevant to me personally as I alluded to in my post. As long as it's attacking I'm fairly easy going, and as I said I'd be more than happy with Pep.

Getsme

Certainly not better than Mourinho and I think there's another two or three that you could argue being just as good too.
Not so sure about that, it's a tough one to call at the moment that's for sure. We could debate who's better for weeks and still not come out the other side any clearer :)

I'd take Pep over Giggs every day of the week, in no way should Giggs be given the reigns at United without any management experience. I don't care how long he will have been a LVGs assistant for he needs to manage another team for at least 5 or 6 (and that's being generous) seasons before he can even be on the list for candidates to become a United boss

Dr Fink

It's a resounding no from me on Guardiola. I could manage Barcelona, LOL, which has been shown by his predecessors and successors (edited). Pep was the man of the moment a few years back, but that's it. Hasn't impressed me one bit since, which is when could have genuinely proved his worth to me. Bayern have struggled to adapt to his ways. Domestically in Germany it's a one-horse race, so that was always sewn up. Dortmund have gone backwards. In Europe Bayern have been found wanting since his appointment. The tiki-taka is dead and something I personally find boring to watch.

Anyway, how can we start to think ahead? We've a fair few years of King Louis to enjoy.

Giggs could be groomed to take over after LVG. Klopp is better in my opinion and would be more suited to Utd. I think he has got it wrong to stay at Dortmund.

Long reign King Louis!!!!

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It looks like LVG is grooming Giggs for the role, so I doubt Pep would be offered it. My preference would be for LVG to continue if he becomes as successful as I expect.

If he is unsuccessful, and by that I mean United win sod all in his time, and United decide to try a different approach then I would prefer Klopp or Simeone.
Manager who won Ligas, CLs, Bundersligas vs a manager who managed 4 games...hmmm pretty hard choice indeed.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Hope Giggs gets the chance.
Yeah first at 1-2 other clubs and then if he makes the grade..

Sheer nepotism has brought this club to its knees. I hope we've learnt the lesson about that.

Getsme

It's a resounding no from me on Guardiola. I could manage Barcelona, LOL, which has been shown by his predecessors. Pep was the man of the moment a few years back, but that's it. Hasn't impressed me one bit since, which is when could have genuinely proved his worth to me. Bayern have struggled to adapt to his ways. Domestically in Germany it's a one-horse race, so that was always sewn up. Dortmund have gone backwards. In Europe Bayern have been found wanting since his appointment. The tiki-taka is dead and something I personally find boring to watch.

Anyway, how can we start to think ahead? We've a fair few years of King Louis to enjoy.

Giggs could be groomed to take over after LVG. Klopp is better in my opinion and would be more suited to Utd. I think he has got it wrong to stay at Dortmund.

Long reign Kink Louis!!!!
What has Giggs done that Pep hasn't?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I would love him here, he is a class manager and the ideal candidate to succeed LvG.

By the time he is here I hope even our "technically worst" players will be able to actually pass a football. Our fitness and tactical awareness will improve anyway under LvG. Would be perfect foundations for Guardiola to build on.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
It's a resounding no from me on Guardiola. I could manage Barcelona, LOL, which has been shown by his predecessors. Pep was the man of the moment a few years back, but that's it. Hasn't impressed me one bit since, which is when could have genuinely proved his worth to me. Bayern have struggled to adapt to his ways. Domestically in Germany it's a one-horse race, so that was always sewn up. Dortmund have gone backwards. In Europe Bayern have been found wanting since his appointment. The tiki-taka is dead and something I personally find boring to watch.

What?

Also, I like how you want Giggs, someone with zero experience at managing a top club to take over United, yet you don't want a proven CL winning coach. Logic.

Unrelated to that post, I think City's ex-Barca connections could sway Guardiola over there.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

Tata Martino didn't do well with a similar group to what Pep had 2011/12.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Think he'll end up managing City next personally. Klopp to Arsenal and we'll probably hire Giggs the same summer.
Why? He turned them down in the Summer of 2012 so what makes them any more attractive now?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
There's no point talking about "a few years" down the line because that's a really long time in football. So much can happen and change during that time.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Hope Giggs gets the chance.
Liverpool might aswell give it to Gerrard

Chelsea might aswell give it to terry

Until he has gone away and actually proven he van become a manager then he shouldn't even be considered for a managerial post at United.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I wonder if LVG went on to manage Acrington, do you think Pep could see himself there in a few years? :angel: just sayin...

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

A) Barcelona have been nowhere near as good since Pep left. If anything it has proven what a good job Pep did there.

B) Bayern have been found wanting in Europe since he arrived? He's been there for one season in which he reached the semi-finals. Bit hyper-critical don't you think? Remind me, how many teams have ever successfully defended the CL?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Pep would be such an obvious choice if he were available, I don't see how anyone would not want him here. Probably the best manager of his generation with a fresh approach to the game, willing to take the risk to accomodate new strategies, flexible tactically with possibly the greatest desire to win among all young managers. He would be a sublime choice.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I want to see him up against some top opposition like Real again before I'll be convinced. His tactics vs Real last year were appalling.
He cocked up the second leg, that's all. Happens to the best. With a bit of luck they could have won at Bernabeu and bury the tie completely there, it didn't work out and they lost the return leg early on.

Getsme

I want to see him up against some top opposition like Real again before I'll be convinced. His tactics vs Real last year were appalling.
Fergie had many of those type of games, that's what happens when you play attacking football, sometimes it goes horribly wrong.

Skills

Snitch
:lol: he's humiliated Madrid multiple times, and has destroyed us twice in Champions League finals during our best ever period in European football.

MDFC Manager

There's no point talking about "a few years" down the line because that's a really long time in football. So much can happen and change during that time.
Fair point. 3 years ago, I never expected Fergie to be succeeded by Moyes, who would then be succeeded by LvG.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
It's pretty obvious Giggs will be the next in charge, unless there's some sort of massive fall out with him and the club. Which is a shame... I'd prefer someone with more managerial experience.

vidal7

People saying giggs should manage united are the same ones who belive in santa claus, heaven and 72 virgins, also they believe some knight in shining armour will come and save their lives.
First it was keane,then ole and now giggs. I Remember how excited everyone was when keane went into management, how when ole won norways's league with molde and i stantly thought as assistant manager/future united manager.
Its like saying because you are a great driver you will be great car engineer. Giggs needs tp proove himself to united amd united are not obliged to give him the job. IT will be a stupid decision and will undo any good work done by LVG.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Another excellent excerpt from Pep's book about the most devastating loss in his career.

http://www.espnfc.com/club/bayern-m...t-as-manager-bayern-4-0-defeat-to-real-madrid

Does anyone have any other snippets from his book?
Another excellent excerpt from Pep's book about the most devastating loss in his career.

http://www.espnfc.com/club/bayern-m...t-as-manager-bayern-4-0-defeat-to-real-madrid

Does anyone have any other snippets from his book?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...hester-city-apart-etihad-style-barcelona.html

Skills

Snitch
Why? He turned them down in the Summer of 2012 so what makes them any more attractive now?
He wanted a break then? Or already had Bayern sewn up for the next year?

Txiki Begiristain is pretty heavily involved at Man City and also worked with Pep at Barcelona. He would be their first choice.

fallengt

If he win another UCL with Bayern or any team but Barca, I'll be fully convinced. Until then I don't think many teams can adapt to his philosophy.
But if Pep is the only option to prevent Giggsy from being the next manager, I'll take that chance.

Last edited:

binary bot
It's pretty obvious Giggs will be the next in charge, unless there's some sort of massive fall out with him and the club. Which is a shame... I'd prefer someone with more managerial experience.
What makes it obvious? The influence of Fergie and the class of 92 diminishes with each season. We've dumped Moyes and company and our transfer activity has been completely different to what everyone predicted. I don't think the people now pulling the stings will care for any sentimental decisions - it'll be solely based on what keeps the team most successful and in turn keeps the share price up.

I've noticed people have become extremely critical of Pep in the last few years, the reaction to him exiting the CL last season was bizarre.

Andy_Cole

What makes it obvious? The influence of Fergie and the class of 92 diminishes with each season. We've dumped Moyes and company and our transfer activity has been completely different to what everyone predicted. I don't think the people now pulling the stings will care for any sentimental decisions - it'll be solely based on what keeps the team most successful and in turn keeps the share price up.

I've noticed people have become extremely critical of Pep in the last few years, the reaction to him exiting the CL last season was bizarre.
I agree. It seems Ed Woodward will go for the 'flashiest' available option when the time comes, and that person if available will be Pep.

Status
Not open for further replies.