Neymar joins PSG on a five year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fully Fledged

Sure, most part of the decade, conveniently excluding the part of the decade when Utd were massively more successful.

Your argument is laughable. We were only really worse than them the last 4 seasons (and last season we were arguably better winning 2 trophies to their 0). The decline in performance has been to our own mismanagement, not financial disadvantage. Your strenuous attempt to try linking the two together is feeble at best.
I pointed all this out. I even went as far as to point out that City haven't dominated while we've been down and that the league has been spread across 3 teams since we last won it and he is still arguing he's right?

AXVnee7

Barca have been well and truly bullied into submission. If they weren't such an arrogant bunch I'd almost feel sorry for them.

Fully Fledged

I agree with that.
When he arrived, it was a risky investment.
PSG on the other hand are buying a tried and tested player (at the highest level). He is reliable. Entering his peak. Has a huge commercial following.
£200M is about the right fee for him.
His wages are very high, though.
Who gets his image rights? This is the most talked about transfer since CR7 they are bound to make a hat full of endorsements off of him. I can see a boat load of companies from Qatar wanting a piece of the action.

TsuWave

It is factual. For the most part of the last decade (which is last 6 seasons), City have been better than United. I didn't say the whole decade, so not sure why would you take 2007-2017. The most part of the last decade is 2011/12 - 2016/2017. During this period, City have been the better team of Manchester.
Even that is arguable, in that time period City have 2 titles and 2 league cups, we have a league title, an FA cup, a league cup and the europa

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I feel like we need one of those sad charity adverts for Barcelona. You know the ones that show footage of poor children with sad music playing and then at the end the music picks up a bit as a message of hope is delivered before asking for your money.

Jericholyte2

My concern in regards to this investment is the instability it causes.

Clubs such as United, Arsenal, Bayern, Barcelona, Juventus, and others are able to spend money because they built successful brands from a foundation of success on the pitch, and as such have stable business models. The likes of City, PSG, I'd also throw in the RB clubs into the mix too and to a lesser extent Chelsea are only able to spend this money is due to the wealth of an investor / owner.

If, hypothetically speaking, clean renewable energy was discovered and patented, causing oil to become obsolete as a fuel source, many of these clubs would end up facing liquidation.

I know it's an unrealistic hypothetical, but the successes of these clubs are built of very shaky foundations. Imagine if a club's owner decided they didn't fancy it anymore and suddenly refused to fund transfers, where would this leave them?

rtr

I don't agree with the notion that money has ruined football. It's actually made it more interesting. Players and managers are assets now, continuously moving forward. Every year there's a huge shift in quality and power between teams.

Football was never going to stay the same since its inception, especially in the world we live in now. Maybe roughly 100 years ago, the notion of spending on players being a "thing" was still new and, honestly, I wouldn't have been interested. The finance of the game is, I think, something to be marvelled at. It's not just a kick about anymore... there's money, contracts, agents, clauses, profit, loss etc... I'm looking forward to seeing how Barca try to bounce back from this, maybe they'll try for Dembele.

A lot of people don't realise for themselves, but they enjoy the summer window almost as much as the season itself. I think that's cool and I respect that. Makes a lot of sense, it has such a huge say on the actual season.

Fully Fledged

Clubs such as United, Arsenal, Bayern, Barcelona, Juventus, and others are able to spend money because they built successful brands from a foundation of success on the pitch, and as such have stable business models. The likes of City, PSG, I'd also throw in the RB clubs into the mix too and to a lesser extent Chelsea are only able to spend this money is due to the wealth of an investor / owner.

If, hypothetically speaking, clean renewable energy was discovered and patented, causing oil to become obsolete as a fuel source, many of these clubs would end up facing liquidation.

I know it's an unrealistic hypothetical, but the successes of these clubs are built of very shaky foundations. Imagine if a club's owner decided they didn't fancy it anymore and suddenly refused to fund transfers, where would this leave them?
Wait until 2040 when we ban petrol/diesel cars. That will do 'em.

prtk0811

I honestly believe all of this is leading to a possibility of Pep Guardiola going to PSG IF it doesn't work out at City in the next year or two. Just an opinion don't shoot me.

The money being spent on Neymar is amazing and I just get a feeling this could be his escape route should City fail to win honours.
You are not alone to think that.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

I will just highlight these and ask you how they did it? What Agnelli and Berlusconi for example did?

Jerch

I feel like we need one of those sad charity adverts for Barcelona. You know the ones that show footage of poor children with sad music playing and then at the end the music picks up a bit as a message of hope is delivered before asking for your money.

donkeyfish

PSG is a private business and a State has the right to invest. PSG version Qatar exists, no?
Free-market economy and "fair competition" are 2 different ideas even if inter-linked in a certain sense.
A free market economy, or a competitive economy as an ideal, is one idea of fair competition. So they aren't as much linked, as different levels in the hierarchy of a (quite popular) theory.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So I started the last year's Pogba thread and this year the Neymar thread. Suggestions for next season?

Ernest Rota

On a side note, does anyone else feel sorry for clubs like Tottenham. It feels like oil money clubs are set to rule football and clubs like spurs that are trying to break into Europe's elite the right way seemingly will never get a fair chance to compete.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
A free market economy, or a competitive economy as an ideal, is one idea of fair competition. So they aren't as much linked, as different levels in the hierarchy of a (quite popular) theory.
I agree. Diverse definitions and ways of thinking.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Done dealio then. Make a thread in FF someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.