Neymar told ‘don’t go blubbering’

Baxter

I was going to put this is in the PSG match thread, but interested to know what people think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46926841

"It's Neymar's style, but don't come and complain when you get kicked," said Strasbourg's Anthony Goncalves.

"He is a great player, I respect him. He can enjoy himself but don't come blubbering afterwards."

I think that’s out of order. I haven’t seen the footage, but kicking someone because they’re better and then basically telling them to man up is ridiculous.

Anyone else think the Strasbourg player should be in trouble after that statement?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I was going to put this is in the PSG match thread, but interested to know what people think.

"It's Neymar's style, but don't come and complain when you get kicked," said Strasbourg's Anthony Goncalves.

"He is a great player, I respect him. He can enjoy himself but don't come blubbering afterwards."

I think that’s out of order. I haven’t seen the footage, but kicking someone because they’re better and then basically telling them to man up is ridiculous.

Anyone else think the Strasbourg player should be in trouble after that statement?
I think it's the showboating that is argued to be disrespectful. He might have been caught doing an unnecessarily skill for no other reason outside to embarrass the opponent and make him look good.

Edit - saw the clip and he wasn't showboating on that instance!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's a cnut. Kicking a player because you can't stop him dribbling you is not legal, so why should he not complain?

Hoof the ball

Yeah, it's rather poor in taste, really. It's like the old mentality in England where the old-school CB's would let the striker know he's there by booting him hard and indiscriminately.

cyberman

Hes right, its one of the main reasons why you don't set out to embarrass the opposition by showboating.
Posters will say yeah its up to the defender to stop him, entertainment etc but this is the real world. There's a risk involved.
A rainbow flick will get you kicked.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Hes right, its one of the main reasons why you don't set out to embarrass the opposition by showboating.
Posters will say yeah its up to the defender to stop him, entertainment etc but this is the real world. There's a risk involved.
I saw the injury incident though - or at least I think I did. I don't remember a rainbow kick in it. But he got clipped 3 times for doing nothing.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, but then said kicker doesn’t get the right to sit there wondering why he’s moaning.

Thuggish behaviour and attitude to hold by Anthony Gonclaves.

crossy1686

career ending
It's a dark art but kicking someone who's better/faster than you is a leveller, not with the intent to injure of course. If you moan about it or roll around on the floor like an absolute cock, expect to get kicked more. Messi is the perfect example of someone who gets kicked to death but carries on anyway. Neymar's diving and cheating is every bit as bad, or worse, than the kicking in my opinion.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He's a cnut. Kicking a player because you can't stop him dribbling you is not legal, so why should he not complain?
What's there to complain about when the referee has given you the foul?

SirAF

Ageist
It's a dark art but kicking someone who's better/faster than you is a leveller, not with the intent to injure of course. If you moan about it or roll around on the floor like an absolute cock, expect to get kicked more. Messi is the perfect example of someone who gets kicked to death but carries on anyway. Neymar's diving and cheating is every bit as bad, or worse, than the kicking in my opinion.
This.

MJJ

I think it's the showboating that is argued to be disrespectful. He might have been caught doing an unnecessarily skill for no other reason outside to embarrass the opponent and make him look good.

The game needs more showboating not less.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Here's the clip, the Strasbourg player basically kicks hims 3 times in a row without playing the ball and obviously no card given.

What's even more pathetic than the Strasbourg player is their coach said basically the same thing in a long angry rant. If you get triggered by players doing football skills, just don't play football.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I remember when Arsenal tried to do a hack job on Nani after he did that Kerlon seal move against them. I believe Evra had shot his mouth beforehand as well.

STYLOISRED

This is football! football is entertainment. you don't kick a player for embarrassing you on the pitch, you try your best to better him and if at the end you are unable to, you be a good sport and give him his respect.
I don't care if Neyma is the biggest cvnt in world football he doesn't deserve to get kicked.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
To be honest, I've never got that. If someone is using a rainbow flick on you, for example (this one always gets a "reply" from an opponent), well, simply don't let him get the better of you. Expecting the opponent to not use certain skills because you're not as good as him seems more disrespectful towards you than letting him fool around with the ball.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
You get injured.
And the ref can do no more than blow the whistle, show him a yellow or send him off.

If the referees protect the players properly you will have less players diving or complaining or exaggerating contact.
No you wouldn't. The diving would still occur because a lot of times, contact wouldn't be seen or a foul wouldn't been given if the player stays on his feet instead of going down - that's just the reality of it. Diving has nothing to do with protecting players properly.

harms

Staff
Here's the clip, the Strasbourg player basically kicks hims 3 times in a row without playing the ball and obviously no card given.

What's even more pathetic than the Strasbourg player is their coach said basically the same thing in a long angry rant. If you get triggered by players doing football skills, just don't play football.
Oh, it was a rainbow flick! Haven't even seen the clip before using it as an example. For some reason it always triggers aggressive response.
I don't understand how is it not a yellow.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He showboated after he'd been kicked 3 times.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I concur. :D

harms

Staff
I saw the injury incident though - or at least I think I did. I don't remember a rainbow kick in it. But he got clipped 3 times for doing nothing.
On a full replay in @BBRBB's post it looks like he used a rainbow flick just before.

edit: Nope, it was just after.

That's a shit rule that should be left behind in the days of Gentile.

JSArsenal

What?

Neymar's diving hurts no one physically but a bad kick can seriously injure someone. Are you really saying that kicking another player, which can cause injury is better than a dive?

There has been a media campaign against Neymar starting at the World Cup which means its now open season against him on the pitch. He's not the only player who does flicks, tricks and rolls around a bit on the floor but for some reason everyone thinks its okay to hack him down.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Messi's immense in that sense, isn't he?

Abizzz

When you already know the other guy is going to be on the floor rolling and crying as soon as he's touched you might as well kick him properly in my opinion.

ArjenIsM3

I really don't like Neymar simply because of his constant diving and whining but this is disgusting from Goncalves. Those kicks should have easily earned him a yellow. Also, what he and his coach are saying is of the lowest order. Just because he uses certain skills he deserves to get kicked? Ridiculous. There's no excuse for kicks like these. Again, I think Neymar is a dirty player in his own right with his constant diving but that doesn't justify intentionally kicking him.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Oh, it was a rainbow flick! Haven't even seen the clip before using it as an example. For some reason it always triggers aggressive response.
I don't understand how is it not a yellow.
Nah, he did the rainbow flick just after, as he likes to show he won't be intimidated by some kicking, but he went off shortly after because of the pain.

Frankstaple!

If the referees protect the players properly you will have less players diving or complaining or exaggerating contact.
You will always get players diving and feigning injury just the same as you will always have players that like to have a "nibble" at an opponents ankle!
Tackling in football is getting less and less and if you look at tackles of ten years ago that were yellow cards they are now a straight red which means players are being protected, but diving is still on the increase?
Even if a player is carded (yellow) for diving/feigning then I think it should be looked at retrospectively and a 2 game ban handed out!

StrettyEnder07

Jesus how soft do you want the game to go! So he has to stand back watch him showboat, let him crack on and make him look a fool, let him past so he can go bag himself a hat-trick so everyone can hail Neymar! What world you living in, its football, a mans sport, contact etc. its bad enough you can't tackle anymore, whether you win the ball or not apparently its not allowed if you touch the player. Don't ever remember Best, Pele, Maradona, Cruyff etc. whinging and moaning about being kicked and they had the likes of Chopper Harris at them constantly.

Man the hell up and just get on with the game, modern football full of absolute fairies

RedStarUnited

This is why I was on Neymars side when the whole world called him out for diving.

No one plays like him in world football, he should be protected not condemned.

Hawks2008

Honestly hate players like that, pathetic to resort to such tactics and it's always these nothing players that do it. Glad Neymar got to flick it over that dude.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The idea that because you’re a really good dribbler, you’re forced to get lumps kicked out of you and actually carry on without alerting the refs or being angered is pretty fecking batshit to me.

The idea that diving is worse than actually being hacked at is even more batshit crazy to me.

Cloud7

Ahh yes, the old lesser talented players wanting to kick down a more talented player. What a joke.

Showboating and tricks make football entertaining. If it wasn’t for flair players, the less talented thugs who think just hacking down better players is fair game would be out of a job, or at least paid much less.

I have genuine disdain for players like that. The world needs more Neymar’s who play the game to entertain, not more Goncalves’.

Devil may care

Neymar is petulant, arrogant and play acts a lot, thus the responses, it's not a one game thing this is a build up of the constant way he goes on, it's the same reason you'd see little sympathy for Ronaldo in the same circumstances, if this were Messi or David Silva there'd be a different outook IMO.

RedStarUnited

Jesus how soft do you want the game to go! So he has to stand back watch him showboat, let him crack on and make him look a fool, let him past so he can go bag himself a hat-trick so everyone can hail Neymar! What world you living in, its football, a mans sport, contact etc. its bad enough you can't tackle anymore, whether you win the ball or not apparently its not allowed if you touch the player. Don't ever remember Best, Pele, Maradona, Cruyff etc. whinging and moaning about being kicked and they had the likes of Chopper Harris at them constantly.

Man the hell up and just get on with the game, modern football full of absolute fairies
Why is kicking someone deliberately considered okay but diving isnt?

Its okay for you to kick me and risk injury but its not okay for me to fake injury to avoid being kicked.

StrettyEnder07

What?

Neymar's diving hurts no one physically but a bad kick can seriously injure someone. Are you really saying that kicking another player, which can cause injury is better than a dive?

There has been a media campaign against Neymar starting at the World Cup which means its now open season against him on the pitch. He's not the only player who does flicks, tricks and rolls around a bit on the floor but for some reason everyone thinks its okay to hack him down.
95% of the time he doesn't get touched, mans a rodent boo hoo he got a kick, get over it