Neymar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bert_

When was the last time we saw a top Brazilian forward that was still anywhere near to their peak by the time they hit 30? They all seem to peak way too early.

Not so much the case for their deeper players though. Very weird.

Ace Krampus

Yeah, it makes me laugh that people scoff at him. If he could stay fit, he's one of fewer than a handful of players that could bring United close to winning a league. Probably a top ten player of all time. His lack of availability would be far more of a concern to me than any baggage he would bring or concerns about him being a fading star.
As the Spartan ephors said to Philip II of Macedon, "if."

Plastic Evra

Would be a blessing in disguise for PSG to be able to offload him and even get some small financial package in the process.

Extraordinary talent unplayable when on its day. But irregular, fitness and discipline issues, monster wages... With Luis Enrique and possibly a completely renewed attack line losing some of the primadonna egos that team might actually go somewhere.

Eddy_JukeZ

Ronaldo
Pele
Ronaldinho
Rivaldo
Romario
Garrincha
Kaka
Zico
Cafu
Roberto Carlos

There's ten off the top of my head that history will remember as better players.
Kaka and Rivaldo are not better players than Neymar.

And there's a very good argument for Neymar over Ronaldinho.

thomas porter

If Chelsea sign him after spending massively on players like mudryk and nkunku it'll just further show how unbelievable poor their transfer strategy has been under the new ownership.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If Chelsea sign him after spending massively on players like mudryk and nkunku it'll just further show how unbelievable poor their transfer strategy has been under the new ownership.
If Chelsea could bring Neymar, that would be a major coup as that's exactly the type of player they need. Said it in Chelsea's thread, their current team is very workmanlike, and devoid creativity.

croadyman

If Chelsea could bring Neymar, that would be a major coup as that's exactly the type of player they need. Said it in Chelsea's thread, their current team is very workmanlike, and devoid creativity.
Yeah it definitely would be a coup and provide a threat to the rest of this league

kaku06

Absolutely laughable post. In what world Neymar is better than Ronaldinho? Talk about disrespect. And also peak Neymar isn’t even close to match kaka and Rivaldo’s peak. What’s Neymar peak anyway? At club level other than that Remontada I fail to remember a legendary performance from Neymar where he single handedly destroyed more than a decent opposition.

Bert_

Kaka and Rivaldo have had better careers than Neymar. If Neymar hadn't wasted his best years at PSG then he might have achieved more.

Not even a contest with Ronaldinho though. One of the greatest of all time. He carried Barca and Brazil in the mid 00s. If he had the drive of Messi/Ronaldo then who knows what he could have achieved.

OverratedOpinion

He's such a special player but I don't feel overly concerned. I just can't see how his injury issues get any better playing in a more intense and more physical league.

Eddy_JukeZ

Absolutely laughable post. In what world Neymar is better than Ronaldinho? Talk about disrespect. And also peak Neymar isn’t even close to match kaka and Rivaldo’s peak. What’s Neymar peak anyway? At club level other than that Remontada I fail to remember a legendary performance from Neymar where he single handedly destroyed more than a decent opposition.
I mean you're talking about my laughable post when you're churning out garbage like this. He was clearly better than both at their peak. He was far better for Brazil than Kaka ever was and has 3-4 club seasons at least clearly eclipsing Kaka ever did in his club career. Besides running faster with the ball, I'm not sure Kaka does anything better than Neymar. If you want to make an argument he does, I'd be curious to read it. Rivaldo was better for Brazil than Kaka, so less of a stronger argument in that regard and I actually think Rivaldo peaks higher than Kaka did on club level too arguably, but he's got too few seasons where he was world class and Neymar has like 6-7. And what does Rivaldo do better than Neymar on the field? Very minimal things again.

And that sounds like your problem. There's plenty of performances where he destroys great teams. Destroyed Real Madrid in the 4-0 Clasico. Superb vs Bayern in both legs when they progressed through. Incredible vs Atalanta(besides some abysmal finishing I admit). Just a few games off the top of my head.

I also like how you brush aside the Remontada when it was a better individual performance than anything Kaka served up and even Rivaldo(despite his last season heroics vs Valencia).

And as for Neymar vs Ronaldinho, Ronaldinho's longevity suffers greatly compared to Neymar. Performed far worse for Brazil than he did and I think they're very very close in ability. If you want to say Ronaldinho is clearly above him in talent, go ahead.

Eddy_JukeZ

Kaka and Rivaldo have had better careers than Neymar. If Neymar hadn't wasted his best years at PSG then he might have achieved more.

Not even a contest with Ronaldinho though. One of the greatest of all time. He carried Barca and Brazil in the mid 00s. If he had the drive of Messi/Ronaldo then who knows what he could have achieved.
How do you measure them having better careers?

Ronaldinho has never carried Brazil and I would find it disingenuous to suggest a player even carries in football. That Barcelona team wasn't just a Ronaldinho solo show.

As for the drive bit, you can't just ignore his lack of professionalism compared to other greats. He didn't have the drive those two did. I don't like arguing in hypotheticals like that for players. And even if he did, he had less talent than Messi. Ronaldo had less talent though compared to Ronaldinho, that I'll concede.

OverratedOpinion

Neymar is better than Kaka or Rivaldo.

More creative, better on the ball, better goalscorer, better set piece taker. He's even better at pressing.

Better at nearly every aspect you'd want from an attacker.

Eddy_JukeZ

The fact Neymar is so unlikable and never won a world cup will cost him his spot in history.
Neymar is very unlikable on here. He's been consistently underrated on here. Saying he's unlikable outright, I'm not sure that's true. Plenty of people like him.

Never winning a world cup is team success based and he's been unlucky with injuries in every single world cup he's participated in.

kaku06

I mean you're talking about my laughable post when you're churning out garbage like this. He was clearly better than both at their peak. He was far better for Brazil than Kaka ever was and has 3-4 club seasons at least clearly eclipsing Kaka ever did in his club career. Besides running faster with the ball, I'm not sure Kaka does anything better than Neymar. If you want to make an argument he does, I'd be curious to read it. Rivaldo was better for Brazil than Kaka, so less of a stronger argument in that regard and I actually think Rivaldo peaks higher than Kaka did on club level too arguably, but he's got too few seasons where he was world class and Neymar has like 6-7. And what does Rivaldo do better than Neymar on the field? Very minimal things again.

And that sounds like your problem. There's plenty of performances where he destroys great teams. Destroyed Real Madrid in the 4-0 Clasico. Superb vs Bayern in both legs when they progressed through. Incredible vs Atalanta(besides some abysmal finishing I admit). Just a few games off the top of my head.

I also like how you brush aside the Remontada when it was a better individual performance than anything Kaka served up and even Rivaldo(despite his last season heroics vs Valencia).

And as for Neymar vs Ronaldinho, Ronaldinho's longevity suffers greatly compared to Neymar. Performed far worse for Brazil than he did and I think they're very very close in ability. If you want to say Ronaldinho is clearly above him in talent, go ahead.
Honest to God I don’t know where to start from :lol:.
-Neymar has 6-7 world class seasons?
-Compared to Neymar kaka was just fast?
- Neymar had 3-4 club seasons better than kaka ever did anything in his club career?
- What did Rivaldo ever do better than Neymar?
- Neymar v PSG was a better performance than anything Kaka and Rivaldo ever served up in their career.
- Destroyed Madrid 4-0 (no he didn’t, making up things now. Messi and Suarez were better than him)
- Rivaldo did minimal things compared to Ney
- Ronaldinho was inferior to Neymar too :lol: :lol:

Absolute cluster feck of a post. Probably the worst post I have seen in a while. I’m not even sure anymore that you have seen Kaka, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho the way you have talked about them. Neymar had 6-7 world class seasons? Remontada was better than anything that they ever did in their careers?

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

Honest to God I don’t know where to start from this post:lol:
Just start, but I'm already prepared to laugh back myself.

What does Kaka do better on the field than Neymar?

What does Rivaldo do better on the field than Neymar?

How do you evaluate Neymar likely breaking Pele's record and outperforming Kaka for Brazil?

git_united

It’s weird with Neymar. To me his biggest (footballing) crime is coming into his own at the same time that Messi and Ronaldo were peaking. Nevertheless he might not have hit the heights at Barcelona that he did if he wasn’t playing alongside Messi. For sure he failed to grab the baton from those two and I think that’s going to be his legacy.

OverratedOpinion

It’s weird with Neymar. To me his biggest (footballing) crime is coming into his own at the same time that Messi and Ronaldo were peaking. Nevertheless he might not have hit the heights at Barcelona that he did if he wasn’t playing alongside Messi. For sure he failed to grab the baton from those two and I think that’s going to be his legacy.
I think his biggest footballing crime was believing going to PSG would be a good move for his career.

People would understand not being as good as Messi or Ronaldo.

Canuckred64

I think his biggest footballing crime is that he has the same problem as a number of Brazilian strikers, he likes to party too much.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
His biggest mistake was moving into irrelevancy in the French league. He was setup to be Barcelona's very best.

git_united

I think his biggest footballing crime was believing going to PSG would be a good move for his career.

People would understand not being as good as Messi or Ronaldo.
Yeah but the comparisons with the other Brazilian greats are slightly colored by the fact that they were the best on the planet even if for a year or two. We can’t ever say that about Neymar.

kaku06

His biggest mistake was moving into irrelevancy in the French league. He was setup to be Barcelona's very best.
No doubt. That was a suicide move from him footballing wise. He was well on his way to be amongst the greatest and he pissed it away by making that move.

OverratedOpinion

The bigger problem are his constant injuries while at PSG.
Hasn't helped but I still feel any player in France is going to get question marks about their standing in the game. Still happens with Mbappe who has done great in the Champions league, lead his team to a world cup and just scored a Hat-Trick in the world cup final!

I think if Neymar had stayed at Barcelona a lot more people would have accepted how brilliant he is.

Bert_

Both Ballon d'or and World Cup winners for one but the fact they spend the best part of their careers playing at a high level is enough for me. Neymar spending his best years playing part time for the football equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters has done him no favours. Apart from the mountain of cash of course!

Ronaldinho has never carried Brazil and I would find it disingenuous to suggest a player even carries in football. That Barcelona team wasn't just a Ronaldinho solo show.

As for the drive bit, you can't just ignore his lack of professionalism compared to other greats. He didn't have the drive those two did. I don't like arguing in hypotheticals like that for players. And even if he did, he had less talent than Messi. Ronaldo had less talent though compared to Ronaldinho, that I'll concede.
I agree his lack of professionalism and drive was a detriment to his career and legacy. But it's the same critism I'd apply to Neymar. He took the easy option of a well paid party lifestyle in Paris over footballing achievments.

In terms of raw talent, I'd argue Ronaldinho is on a par with Messi in a lot of areas. Even better than him in terms of raw ball skills. The things that guy could do with a ball under pressure still baffle me. Not just in terms of his ball control, but his vision and ability to pick out a pass from seemingly nothing. Raw talent is only as good as your application of though at the end of the day.

Valencia Shin Crosses

There's a weird hate boner for Neymar here that I assume comes from him going to PSG as if he hasn't dominated opposition in the UCL for them as well. His real problem has been he's injury prone, but even with the injuries his production is absurd for how entertaining of a player he already is. Add in the fact that he's been the star man for Brazil for a decade now and yeah his career has become stupidly underrated.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona

Players do carry when you have a somewhat solid team. Of course no player can carry 10 awful ones. Messi almost got us a CL in 2019 despite our team being a defensive disaster. With some basic pressing and defending he would have.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Ronaldo
Pele
Ronaldinho
Rivaldo
Romario
Garrincha
Kaka
Zico
Cafu
Roberto Carlos

There's ten off the top of my head that history will remember as better players.
Kaka and Rivaldo are definitely not better than Neymar. Even Ronaldinho is debatable in terms of longevity as his peak was extremely short.

flappyjay

Kaka and Rivaldo are definitely not better than Neymar. Even Ronaldinho is debatable in terms of longevity as his peak was extremely short.
His stint at PSG has really fecked his legacy. Now people are pretending that he has never been good.

caid

Its PSG. He's basically been retired the last 6 years. So his longevity is redundant.

kaku06

Just start, but I'm already prepared to laugh back myself.

What does Kaka do better on the field than Neymar?

What does Rivaldo do better on the field than Neymar?

How do you evaluate Neymar likely breaking Pele's record and outperforming Kaka for Brazil?
Lukaku is also a record holder on international stage for Belgium. Just saying. But I do acknowledge he is far better for Brazil than Kaka. On a club level as much as I love Neymar, I do but I can’t put him above the likes of Kaka and Rivaldo. Kaka was just amazing at Milan way better than Neymar has been at any club. As for longevity, the less said about his 6 years at PSG the better.

CallyRed

Neymar hosts the best parties and is always committed to going to his sister's birthday, no matter what.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
With no CL this coming season, can they even afford him in view of FFP?

Eddy_JukeZ

Lukaku is also a record holder on international stage for Belgium. Just saying. But I do acknowledge he is far better for Brazil than Kaka. On a club level as much as I love Neymar, I do but I can’t put him above the likes of Kaka and Rivaldo. Kaka was just amazing at Milan way better than Neymar has been at any club. As for longevity, the less said about his 6 years at PSG the better.
What do you think Kaka does on the field that's better than Neymar?

Eddy_JukeZ

Players do carry when you have a somewhat solid team. Of course no player can carry 10 awful ones. Messi almost got us a CL in 2019 despite our team being a defensive disaster. With some basic pressing and defending he would have.
Messi in 2019 was better than anything Ronaldinho ever did and even then, I wouldn't say he carried. I don't like using that term in football.

Status
Not open for further replies.