Neymar

Status
Not open for further replies.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
Neymar Sr. confirmed that United's offer reached FC Barcelona.

"The offer reached the club, and they replied that they weren't interested in selling. They asked us if we were interested in leaving, but it also wasn't the case. Barcelona doesn't sell, he still has 3 years in his contract. It was a Man Utd project, but it stays in the past." says Neymar's father (who is also his agent)

granted he isn't the most articulate person in the world, but he wouldn't lie.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/futeb...proposta-milionaria-do-united-ela-chegou.html

Traub

This seems like the only possible transfer of the past few years where tapping up hasn't taken place.

littlepeasoup

Most of the stories about the Neymar interest noted that Ed knew he probably wouldn't get him in the summer (no shit) but that he saw him as a more realistic target for 2016. We might see this pop up again next summer.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
He's hardly going to say his son wanted to leave, but Barcelona refused to let him go. He might be telling the truth, but there were some reports (in the Guardian as well) that Neymar was open to leaving Barcelona for United and it was more of a 2016 project. We'll have to wait and see if anything happens.

ottosec

It's only a matter of time until we land a top 10 player.

m1y2

so we tried for Muller, Neymar, Bale? who else? we could try Ribery/Robben if we want to hey are not on the same level as the two have still some years in them but I guess we are after younger players. We need a winger if we want to win anything in the winter.. senior player...

Dante

Average bang
We had nothing to lose (other than some reputation with spackers on the internet).

But we had plenty to gain.

It was worth trying.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
If Messi was 32/33 years I would understand his interest to stay in Barcelona but in the current situation I can see him being in his shadow for some more years. The best player from Brazil repeating during the best years of his career "it's a pleasure to play with Messi", for me is awkard.
If he wants to get protagonism should look for another destination.
I think that should have chosen Madrid,and I am not saying this for being a Madrid fan but mainly because Cristiano is older. Wagner Ribeiro also recommend him to go to Madrid in a letter that published recently in Instagram.
Unfortunately for the expensive clause I think that a Figo case is not possible, therefore I don't see a transfer to United as a utopia

Last edited:

acnumber9

You have to admire Woodward's desire to try for the best players. I know he only does it for marketing reasons but I still like it.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
I think it was a savvy move to kick the tires on this one. Barca are financially vulnerable right now and it's time for him to decide on a contract renewal. With tax & fraud investigations looming, a fresh start could be appealing.

RedStarUnited

The delusion. Neymar would leave Barcelona for United. Right.
He might not want to move if everything was perfect. But everything isnt perfect.

Barcelona will need to renew him next summer but face a wage problem because they are already operating at a maximum wage/income ratio (over 70%). Remember that Messi is probably due a renewal soon too, so they have to work that angle out. Renew both of them so that they are happy and also somehow manage to sustain or lower their wages overall.

Next up is Neymar's own desire to be the best player in the world. This will not happen as long as Messi is around at Barcelona. And seeing as Messi is only 28, he will probably still be around and performing for 3 years or so. Is Neymar willing to wait 3/4 years to get recognised in his own right? Only he knows.

Taking all that into consideration, its not so delusional for Woodward to lay the ground work for any transfer next summer. If Neymar was to want to leave, only United could probably afford the fee and wages he will cost. Real Madrid might be able to afford him but Barca are very unlikely to listen to their offers.

As Ballague recently said, this will probably be the saga of next summer. United love a summer saga.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
feck this 'Oh forget it, Real and Barcelona are interested, we are not signing this player'. We're Manchester United, it's a pretty good sell and we can pay top dollar.

Mindhunter

It's great that we are trying for these players. That's where we should be trying.

Also, people saying we embarrass ourselves should take a hike. Our interest wasn't public at all, this was revealed by the player's agent for obvious reasons.

MDFC Manager

It's great that we are trying for these players. That's where we should be trying.

Also, people saying we embarrass ourselves should take a hike. Our interest wasn't public at all, this was revealed by the player's agent for obvious reasons.
7-8 years ago: "We're such a huge club but we can't pay up for the best players in the world. Embarrassing"

Today: "Why are we trying to buy the best players in the world? Embarrassing"

Kostur

海尔的老板
Why didn't we try to get him from Santos?
Ed wasn't here yet.

I've once read an article on Neymar's transfer and all the circumstances surrounding it. Can't recall all of it but it was all connections between him and his father, Rosell, somebody who was Rosell's friend and who was connected with Nike's governing body or whatever runs Nike and some other weird ass people.

Add all this tax problems and transfer's zillion alleged fees that don't add up and it's some shady shit going on around 'ere.

Mindhunter

7-8 years ago: "We're such a huge club but we can't pay up for the best players in the world. Embarrassing"

Exactly, I remember the meltdown when the Hazard deal fell through. Everyone was saying the exact opposite thing back then.

During the Fabregas saga, some folks here felt that we are embarrassing ourselves by trying to get a settled player from Barca who doesn't want to move. We all know what happened after that. No club in the world will pursue a player without talking to his agent first to get a sense check. The fact that people believe that we are calling up players and agents randomly is what is embarrassing (and laughable).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

It's not embarrassing but it does come across as naive. Ditto the emails to Bayern about Muller and the Bale/Ronaldo stuff that's ended up all over the press every summer since Woodward took the reins.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Ed wasn't here yet.

I've once read an article on Neymar's transfer and all the circumstances surrounding it. Can't recall all of it but it was all connections between him and his father, Rosell, somebody who was Rosell's friend and who was connected with Nike's governing body or whatever runs Nike and some other weird ass people.

Add all this tax problems and transfer's zillion alleged fees that don't add up and it's some shady shit going on around 'ere.
10 m€ for his father(his society)+30m more once the tranfer was closed.Probably the most expensive transfer in football

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
...so we were never interested in Pedro.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
It's not embarrassing but it does come across as naive. Ditto the emails to Bayern about Muller and the Bale/Ronaldo stuff that's ended up all over the press every summer since Woodward took the reins.
It is not naive as well. There is nothing wrong in trying to sign world class players. Obviously it is going to be really difficult to get such players because their current clubs are equally big in stature but I doubt we inquired without getting hint from player's agent first. Of course now when it didn't happen the player/his agent will say that they didn't want to leave.

The only thing which might seem naive is these reports ending up in papers. But then, it is not United who is doing it. The other side is doing, maybe to deter United in future (Bayern) or keep the topic active (Neymar's dad). The only place where these stories harm 'reputation' is among internet gang. Woodward will keep going after the targets and one of these days he will land a big name like those mentioned.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Great players don't always stay at clubs for their whole career. We've got solid interest and no doubt foundations laid with the agents of some of the best players around Europe. If something changes with their situation, we'll be in a strong position to sign them from the start.

I don't think there's any harm in that. If it only works for 1 of them in the next 5 years it'll be a success because having a Bale, Neymar or Muller would make a huge difference.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
If Messi was 32/33 years I would understand his interest to stay in Barcelona but in the current situation I can see him being in his shadow for some more years. The best player from Brazil repeating during the best years of his career "it's a pleasure to play with Messi", for me is awkard.
If he wants to get protagonism should look for another destination.
I think that should have chosen Madrid,and I am not saying this for being a Madrid fan but mainly because Cristiano is older. Wagner Ribeiro also recommend him to go to Madrid in a letter that published recently in Instagram.
Unfortunately for the expensive clause I think that a Figo case is not possible, therefore I don't see a transfer to United as a utopia
After the taxgate emanated from the capital? Improbable that Perez et al can lure him back after burning the bridges. Let's not forget, it's twice he has spurned your club.

Could he leave? Absolutely. I see a settled player but he's also a marketing machine and perhaps wants more of the spotlight at some point so you can never rule it out - a big reason why I am not a fan of these acquisitions in the first place. Wherever he were to go if he was to go, Nike would be an integral aspect.

On the flip side, the club has invested heavily in the player and know that the future is Neymar so they will not let go so easily either

Question234

neymar and lvg lol

match made in heaven, still think it's a bit delusional to think neymar could end up in manchester.

Grib

Good, we should be looking at the top teir of players

The delusion. Neymar would leave Barcelona for United. Right.
Don't be so naive, Muller has already allued to a players mind set, it went something like this
A players career is short, money is a consideration, the pl has a lot of money

You can look it up yourself. We have money, they can be tempted, we should try.

Delusional, catch yourself on

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How much would he even cost? The Barcelona transfer was so dodgy I don't even know how much they paid. £100m? £120m? £150m?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Great players don't always stay at clubs for their whole career. We've got solid interest and no doubt foundations laid with the agents of some of the best players around Europe. If something changes with their situation, we'll be in a strong position to sign them from the start.

I don't think there's any harm in that. If it only works for 1 of them in the next 5 years it'll be a success because having a Bale, Neymar or Muller would make a huge difference.
Bingo. Woodward is planting seeds.

Grib

Oh the embarrassment, the shame!
I know right!?

We should just settle for top four finishes and maybe a cup run every few years and forget about trying to sign top players,at least it wouldn't embarras some of our fan base

Status
Not open for further replies.