nfl 12/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

gormless

May have missed it, but couldn't see a thread for it, and its now draft time. On my phone in a foreign country so no idea if its started yet, but looks certain colts will take luck as no.1 pick (may have already happened)

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
According to ESPN, Luck will be #1, RG3 will be #2. I hope the Pats draft some decent defenders but Belichick will probably add another TE or WR.

kikks

Get in. Good trade, and picking Kalil at 4. I like it. Hope the later picks can give us some good corners, safety's and receivers.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I was utterly shocked Jerral "Jerry" Jones moved up to #6 to get Claiborne (who might turn out to be a damn good CB) and giving up #14 and a 2nd rd pick. Rarely do the Boys move in the 1st rd. Too many holes in that team to be giving up draft picks.

DevilRed

Really wierd draft this year. Alot of teams trading multiple picks to move up one or two spots in the draft. The browns gave up alot of picks just to move up one spot to take Trent Richardson. I suppose they were desperate for a playmaker in the offense but they gave up quite a bit just to move up one spot which might not even have been necessary in the first place.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
I’ll take anybody from last years Alabama defense. Upshaw and the second corner who also plays the slot (name?) flashed more when I watched full games, but Hightower was clearly an excellent player at that level too. Not sure exactly how he will be used but I’ll take talent. Have never seen Jones and Syracuse play but his brother is a beast, so I will put my faith in that at the moment. Spinning elbows to the face of Sanchez/Tebow would be worth the disciplinary action.

Dobba

Despite it looking like the Bucs were making the draft up as they went along, can't really complain about the 2 picks so far. Still got a "must get" list almost as long as the losing streak mind.

manutddjw

Really wierd draft this year. Alot of teams trading multiple picks to move up one or two spots in the draft. The browns gave up alot of picks just to move up one spot to take Trent Richardson. I suppose they were desperate for a playmaker in the offense but they gave up quite a bit just to move up one spot which might not even have been necessary in the first place.
This was really strange. It's not like Minnesota was going to take Richardson because they have Adrian Peterson and it doesn't seem feasible that someone would've traded with Minnesota (and Minnesota would agree) to get a running back.

I guess it wouldn't be the Browns way, to not do something stupid.

DevilRed

This was really strange. It's not like Minnesota was going to take Richardson because they have Adrian Peterson and it doesn't seem feasible that someone would've traded with Minnesota (and Minnesota would agree) to get a running back.

Was reading some articles and the speculation was that Minnesota received alot of offers for their number 3 pick because quite a few other teams wanted to draft Trich as he would give any team an instant playmaker/star running back.

Either that or Minnesota played the Browns like a puppet on strings. Like you said, I wouldn't be surprised considering it IS the Browns we are talking about here. :lol:

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Anybody know if hightower can play olb? Seems strange to get another inside linebacker with mayo already there and spikes coming good
Don't think he has done it full time, but Bama had him and Upshaw going after the QB in passing situations so he has some rush ability. Its hard to say without knowing what the base front will be. Based on last year you would think his role would be SLB next to Mayo and Spikes and maybe some nickel DE. Thing is, I like Ninkovich too despite his physical limitations.

Erics_Collar

Well the Bucs were one of the teams rumoured to trade up to take Richardson. The fact that eventually did trade up to get Doug Martin before the Giants could shows that those rumours had substance. I think the Browns did well there.

The Brandon Weeden pick however, is another story altogether.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Please don't let RG3 be another Heath Shuler...not sure I could handle the disappointment :(
I think RG3 will outshine Luck - maybe not year one or two, but overall.

And am happy with the Niners pick. My biggest criticism of them last year was that they didn't try and go downfield more. The moves they have made in free agency and the draft suggest that this will become a more heavily utilised section of their playbook.

kikks

I really hoped Reuben Randle would fall to the Vikings, and I don't really know much about Josh Robinson. But he seems to be fast as feck, so it will be exciting to see him in action. 3 staring players drafted, and all in positions of need. If we can get a good wide receiver and some solid linebackers now, I will be really happy! Hopefully Ponder can step it up now that he will have better protection around him.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The feedback on the Pats draft picks appears to be positive, Hightower in particular seems to be well liked, and it's good we're addressing the problem with all the picks being defenders. With the draft almost over, I hope we can get back and negotiate a deal with Welker - very important we keep him for the long-term.

MrMarcello

You mean other than 2012, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2004, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999 and 1996 when they did move in the 1st round?
Huh? Do you understand what I mean by saying "move in the first round" as in move UP to draft higher (especially into the top 10) as I don't talk about moving DOWN in a draft. I left out the 'up' accidentally, obviously.

They tried to move into the top 10 in 1994 to draft McGinnest but could not get a deal done. That's the only other time I recall Jerry attempting to move into the top 10.

Post Jimmy, they dropped out of the first round in 1995, 1996, 2000 and 2001 (Galloway trade), 2004, 2007 (but moved back into first round to 26 from 36), and 2009 (Williams trade).

Moved up in 1994 (five spots to 23), 1997 (three spots to 22), 1999 (2 spots to 20), 2008 (three spots to 24 with 2nd 1st rd pick they had), 2010 (three spots to 24) and 2012 (biggest jump 14 to 6).

Dropped down in 2002 (6 to 8).

MrMarcello

I think RG3 will outshine Luck - maybe not year one or two, but overall.

And am happy with the Niners pick. My biggest criticism of them last year was that they didn't try and go downfield more. The moves they have made in free agency and the draft suggest that this will become a more heavily utilised section of their playbook.
I wouldn't be surprised to see RG3 end up another Akili Smith but I do think he'll do fine. Being a Redskin I will have to root against his success though. He won't be anything remotely similar to how Newton looked last year. It will take him a couple years to either establish himself as the real deal or end up an average QB or bust. He's no Vick either but I think he'll be a better pocket passer.

Luck is going to be class. He is the real deal. RG3 is set up to show better success initially as Indy have hardly anything left and the Skins love to spend money.

Oh, and how about those Skins drafting another QB today and one many scouts and analysts rate him highly. It's going to be interesting when RG3 has some bad games and the fans/press start talking about Cousins.

kikks

Mike Mayock was also talking about Cousins being very clever, and that he would be a good backup quarterback who could help the franchise QB prepare for games etc.

Chapster

love the eagles draft. was very happy with our first couple of rounds and we even got a big bodied receiver to boot.

Whilst the secondary is still a concern (with asante gone and no improvements at Safety) I'm hopeful that the new secondary coach will raise the play of the existing talent.

Chapster

I wouldn't be surprised to see RG3 end up another Akili Smith but I do think he'll do fine. Being a Redskin I will have to root against his success though. He won't be anything remotely similar to how Newton looked last year. It will take him a couple years to either establish himself as the real deal or end up an average QB or bust. He's no Vick either but I think he'll be a better pocket passer.

Luck is going to be class. He is the real deal. RG3 is set up to show better success initially as Indy have hardly anything left and the Skins love to spend money.

Oh, and how about those Skins drafting another QB today and one many scouts and analysts rate him highly. It's going to be interesting when RG3 has some bad games and the fans/press start talking about Cousins.
nah no real worries there, there won't be any pressure on RG3 unlee he's still struggling in yr 2.

also no backups (other than grossman) on the skins roster and you got to worry about injuries with RG3 since he'll occasionally take the big hit if he does take off and go. Good pick I reckon.

kikks

Needed that to be fair, gary! Patriots too. If the Vikes had gotten Reuben Randle, I would've been ecstatic. I'm fairly happy still. Will be interesting to see the two wide receivers we picked. Love Kalil, liked Harrison Smith. The rest I will have to see when the games start coming. Question marks on the selection of the TE in the fourth round and the kicker in the 6th. But I guess we needed to replace Shiancoe as a more rounded, pass-blocking TE. The kicker, I don't know why was drafted, as we have Longwell. But oh well. Fairly pleased with the draft overall!

MrMarcello

Felt Dallas should have drafted a big DT/NT type instead of that DE that was a backup at Boise State. Brandon Thompson was taken a few picks later in rd-3 or could have taken Josh Chapman in rd-4.

Rd-1: Claiborne, CB - should play himself into perennial All-Pro level
Rd-3: Crawford, DE - strange pick, backup in college, probable backup in NFL
Rd-4: Wilber, OLB - Kiper liked the pick but this guy is probably a ST player initially
Rd-4: Johnson, SS - hard to find info on him, passed on Allen and Iloka at SS
Rd-5: Coale, WR - decent pick, analysts liked him
Rd-6: Hanna, TE - this could be their steal of the draft
Rd-7: McSurdy, ILB - tackling machine but makes team on ST ability only

My redraft:
Rd-1: Claiborne, CB - stick with this pick
Rd-3: Thompson, DT - big body for middle of DL, Ratliff goes to DE
Rd-4: Wilber, OLB - stick with this pick
Rd-4: Sanders, OT - swing tackle might also learn OG position until he fully develops
Rd-5: Coale, WR - stick with this pick
Rd-6: Hanna, TE - stick with this pick
Rd-7: Allen, SS - played 'rover' at SC but should be SS in NFL, raw talent

gbgary

Needed that to be fair, gary! Patriots too. If the Vikes had gotten Reuben Randle, I would've been ecstatic. I'm fairly happy still. Will be interesting to see the two wide receivers we picked. Love Kalil, liked Harrison Smith. The rest I will have to see when the games start coming. Question marks on the selection of the TE in the fourth round and the kicker in the 6th. But I guess we needed to replace Shiancoe as a more rounded, pass-blocking TE. The kicker, I don't know why was drafted, as we have Longwell. But oh well. Fairly pleased with the draft overall!
ap and your qb's sophomore season are the keys to your season. it won't be pretty if ap isn't 100% and ponder isn't much better. he showed flashes last year though.

kikks

Very true. What we draft won't matter squat if Ponder still ain't on point. AP was running sprints again the other day, and hopes to begin cutting soon. Let's hope he'll be back in his All Day-form again for the start of the season. I would've liked the Vikings to have added another RB, maybe gone after Chris Polk in FA. But he's signed for the Eagles now. Can't wait for the games to start!

Erics_Collar

Felt Dallas should have drafted a big DT/NT type instead of that DE that was a backup at Boise State.

Rd-3: Crawford, DE - strange pick, backup in college, probable backup in NFL
What on earth are you talking about? I watched every Boise State game last year, Crawford started them all.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Love what the eagles have done thus far, Boykin and Mcnutt could be two vital pieces, Boykin could develop into a very good slot corner and is an excellent kick returner which is what we have needed.

Mcnutt's routes are fantastic and he holds the ball over the middle really well, a good target inside the 20 which is what we need next season. Need to convert in the redzone more.

gbgary

Very true. What we draft won't matter squat if Ponder still ain't on point. AP was running sprints again the other day, and hopes to begin cutting soon. Let's hope he'll be back in his All Day-form again for the start of the season. I would've liked the Vikings to have added another RB, maybe gone after Chris Polk in FA. But he's signed for the Eagles now. Can't wait for the games to start!
the second year after a knee is always better than the first, but if anyone can come all the way back in one year ap is the one who'll do it. he's a awesome player.

Status
Not open for further replies.