nfl 12/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutral

BTV
I wouldn't be surprised to see RG3 end up another Akili Smith but I do think he'll do fine. Being a Redskin I will have to root against his success though. He won't be anything remotely similar to how Newton looked last year. It will take him a couple years to either establish himself as the real deal or end up an average QB or bust. He's no Vick either but I think he'll be a better pocket passer.

Luck is going to be class. He is the real deal. RG3 is set up to show better success initially as Indy have hardly anything left and the Skins love to spend money.

Oh, and how about those Skins drafting another QB today and one many scouts and analysts rate him highly. It's going to be interesting when RG3 has some bad games and the fans/press start talking about Cousins.
Of course he'll be a better pocket passer, I'd say he was already better. Also the run is an option for him, but not something that is his 1st instinct.

His junior and senior year at Baylor, he combined for ~7500 yards passing and ~1300 yards running the ball.

He is mobile and will get out of the pocket, but I don't see him running regularly in the NFL.

gormless

Feel good story time:
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Tuesday announced the signing of former Rutgers football player Eric LeGrand to its 90-man offseason roster.

LeGrand, who played for new Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano at Rutgers, suffered a spinal cord injury as a college junior and hasn't walked in 19 months after tackling an Army kick returner on Oct. 16, 2010. LeGrand intends to walk again, and hoped to return to the spot where he fell at MetLife Stadium, lie down and walk away.

The Bucs said in a release that LeGrand's signing with the team was a fulfillment of another goal.

"If Tampa Bay's personnel department developed a scouting report on LeGrand," the team wrote, "as they do on all players they are considering signing, the first line was surely: 'Will never quit.'"

Said Schiano: "Leading up to the draft, I couldn't help but think that this should've been Eric's draft class. This small gesture is the least we could do to recognize his character, spirit, and perseverance. The way Eric lives his life epitomizes what we are looking for in Buccaneer Men."

Neutral

BTV
Bountygate update

- Jonathan Vilma suspended for the entire season
- Anthony Hargrove 8 games(Packers signed him in the off season)
- Will Smith 4 games
- Scott Fujita 3 games(now with the Browns)

I was ok with the bounty Vilma placed on Brett Favre, he should have been rewarded for that...not punished :(

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Fair play to the NFL, I didn't think they'd suspend Vilma for the entire season. Saints really need to sort out a deal with Brees otherwise they'll be fecked for the long term and not just this season.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Does anyone remember Nate Fikse from the 03' draft? He was a kicker from UCLA and he played for the 49ers and the Saints!

kikks

the second year after a knee is always better than the first, but if anyone can come all the way back in one year ap is the one who'll do it. he's a awesome player.
Hope the Vikings show a little bit of restraint with him. He will be raring to go from the first game! If we can have him back fully fit (please please) in October, I'll be happy. Toby Gerhart is not a bad running back, and can help take most of the load in the beginning, while steadily ramping up the snaps for AP. I hope for 6-7 wins, and a show of progress from Ponder.

The Pack will be a scary team of their new defensive picks gel early on, and #12 keeps up his pinpoint precision. Do you think you'll see Donald Driver back for the start of the season?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Feel good story time:
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Tuesday announced the signing of former Rutgers football player Eric LeGrand to its 90-man offseason roster.

LeGrand, who played for new Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano at Rutgers, suffered a spinal cord injury as a college junior and hasn't walked in 19 months after tackling an Army kick returner on Oct. 16, 2010. LeGrand intends to walk again, and hoped to return to the spot where he fell at MetLife Stadium, lie down and walk away.

The Bucs said in a release that LeGrand's signing with the team was a fulfillment of another goal.

"If Tampa Bay's personnel department developed a scouting report on LeGrand," the team wrote, "as they do on all players they are considering signing, the first line was surely: 'Will never quit.'"

Said Schiano: "Leading up to the draft, I couldn't help but think that this should've been Eric's draft class. This small gesture is the least we could do to recognize his character, spirit, and perseverance. The way Eric lives his life epitomizes what we are looking for in Buccaneer Men."
Wow - not bad for our 'devil owners' is it? More info here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...ured-rutgers-dt-eric-legrand-symbolic-gesture

forevrared

Gutted about Junior Seau. Hall of Famer, easily. He was the type you always respected regardless of who you paid for.

In lighter news (for me anyway), I can't get enough of the Saints misfortunes. Vilma out the entire year with Payton and Micky Loomis possibly facing federal wiretapping charges. If that gets proven, I expect unprecedented punishments to be handed out. I hope Goodell doesn't stop until the Saints no longer exist.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
:( I can't help but think, as everyone else is, that Seau's suicide may have been related to concussions and football in general. His son is supposed to be attending my old school to play lacrosse next year or the year after. I can't imagine what his kids are going through. Seau had some issues before, but, unless he was avoiding shooting himself in the head for the funeral, why would he shoot himself in the chest?

Neutral

BTV
:( I can't help but think, as everyone else is, that Seau's suicide may have been related to concussions and football in general. His son is supposed to be attending my old school to play lacrosse next year or the year after. I can't imagine what his kids are going through. Seau had some issues before, but, unless he was avoiding shooting himself in the head for the funeral, why would he shoot himself in the chest?
Maybe he donated his brain to research.

I hope he becomes the definitive 'poster child' for head trauma in the NFL. The players are simply too big, too quick, and the game too violent. We're gonna have a whole bunch of seriously damaged players in the next 20-25 years :(

ha_rooney

According to ESPN, Gaffney is rejoining the Pats. That means he joins Branch, Welker, Lloyd, Stallworth, Slater, Edelman, Gonzalez & Ocho at WR. I hope us stocking up at WR is not in anticipation of losing Welker, I expect Ocho & possibly Branch to be cut.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Maybe he donated his brain to research.

I hope he becomes the definitive 'poster child' for head trauma in the NFL. The players are simply too big, too quick, and the game too violent. We're gonna have a whole bunch of seriously damaged players in the next 20-25 years :(

That could be it. A number of players are starting to ask that after they pass their brains be studied for the effects of the head traumas.

If you have never watched it, take a look at the movie North Dallas 40, based on a book written in the early 70's, even back then players were destroying their bodies just to play the game.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Sad news on Junior. If he had played his best years on the East Coast, or for a bigger club like Dallas or San Francisco, he'd be debated up there with the likes of Taylor and Butkus.

Awesome news on LeGrand.

And I call bullshit on the Vilma suspension. I hope the NFLPA sue the shit out of the NFL. I really believe it's time for an independent ruling system for these sports leagues as the appeal process goes through - the fecking same person that handed out the suspension. Does anyone really think a judge would overturn his/her own ruling? That's why the appeals process goes through a different court. Not in professional sports. It's hogwash.

Neutral

BTV
Terrell Suggs tore an achilles playing basketball - more than likely out for the season. Ravens fans won't be happy.

Marcello - you don't think Vilma deserves the suspension? The coaches got spitroasted, it makes sense the players who took part also pay their dues.

MrMarcello

Because there's a mention he paid/contributed 10k to the pool, that's worthy of a year long suspension (and it so happens to be NFL poster-boy Brett Favre)? I think there better be far more evidence for a year long suspension, like multiple bounties. "We have made it clear that punishment without evidence is not fair," NFLPA.

The coaches and management got hit large because they had been told to stop yet continued to approve this and encouraging it. There was evidence too, in the form of emails and player testimonies.

Current/former players are debating, and seems more feel the suspension is ridiculous. Mike Golic thinks it is a crock of shit. Let's start suspending offensive players that block a defender that is already engaged with another offensive player - that is intent to injure.

There's one reason the NFL is taking an OTT approach to suspensions now days - lawsuits.

I say eliminate the helmet and bulky shoulder pads and you'll have no more of this crap. Reduced concussions, no helmet-lead hits, and helmet-to-helmet collisions, etc. No player is going to risk head injury without a helmet, as this product gives a player the illusion of invincibility. It works just fine in rugby and Australian rules without a helmet.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7882462/athletes-react-strongly-vilma-suspension

http://chi.scout.com/2/1183248.html

http://deadspin.com/5907040/most-nf...e-latest-saints-suspensions-surprising-nobody

Neutral

BTV
You know how I feel about Favre...It's on this very page.

Football is a violent sport, and of course players go out there to hurt each other. What do you think a safety or a MLB is trying to do when he launches himself at a WR coming across the middle? But none of that takes away from the nature of the allegations against these guys.

I'm under no illusions as to why Goodell handed out the big penalties - he is covering his own ass, but I still agree with the suspensions.

MrMarcello

Vilma deserved no more than 6-8 games, max. He's singled out because there's mention he offered 10k to take out a QB. The NFL has to protect their QBs, ya know. If it had been 10k to take out some WR or RB, he wouldn't be the scapegoat.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Terrell Suggs tore an achilles playing basketball - more than likely out for the season. Ravens fans won't be happy.

Marcello - you don't think Vilma deserves the suspension? The coaches got spitroasted, it makes sense the players who took part also pay their dues.
If he messed around, at least I hope he got a triple double.

ha_rooney

The Suggs injury will really impact the Ravens, he was a key component to their defense last season.

Just reading that next season all turnovers will automatically be reviewed by the officials. Shit idea imo, it will further slow games down and once again takes away from the excitement of the game as to whether the coach will challenge the play or not.

Also reading that they may consider abolishing KOs in the future - :houllier:

Neutral

BTV
The Suggs injury will really impact the Ravens, he was a key component to their defense last season.

Just reading that next season all turnovers will automatically be reviewed by the officials. Shit idea imo, it will further slow games down and once again takes away from the excitement of the game as to whether the coach will challenge the play or not.

Also reading that they may consider abolishing KOs in the future - :houllier:
It's one of the best ideas they've floated in a long time. Not sure why you think it's crazy.

It's a big change, and change comes slowly to big sports...but people on Special Teams are basically Kamikaze mentalists, so anything that might help to reduce that sort of impact is at least worth debating over.

ha_rooney

It's one of the best ideas they've floated in a long time. Not sure why you think it's crazy.

It's a big change, and change comes slowly to big sports...but people on Special Teams are basically Kamikaze mentalists, so anything that might help to reduce that sort of impact is at least worth debating over.
The KO is an exciting, unpredictable play and when players break through and get good field position or a TD or fumble, it's exciting and immediately puts pressure on the other team. The change last year to put KOs to the 35yard line led to a lot of touchbacks but the option to return was still possible. To eliminate the KO completely would take away some of the fun, the current rule is fine IMO.

Neutral

BTV
The KO is an exciting, unpredictable play and when players break through and get good field position or a TD it's exciting and immediately puts pressure on the other team. The change last year to put KOs to the 35yard line led to a lot of touchbacks but the option to return was still possible. To eliminate the KO completely would take away some of the fun, the current rule is fine IMO.
Those advocating getting rid of it, aren't doing it because of footballing reasons(all of your points are valid)...rather they are worried about the injury angle...and looking for ways to minimize things.

Like I said it's just an idea...

gormless

Would ruin the game if a team was down by 14 points with a few minutes left. Touchdown, "oh shit, we can't do an onside kick anymore"

Neutral

BTV
Would ruin the game if a team was down by 14 points with a few minutes left. Touchdown, "oh shit, we can't do an onside kick anymore"
Yup...lots and lots of fundamental changes. Which is why it will not happen anytime soon.

But this is why it's not something you can just ignore

NY Giants Co-Owner John Mara

One thing we did determine is that by moving the kickoff to the 35 yard-line, it reduced the number of returns but reduced the number of concussions by 40 percent...So I don't think you'll see that rule change. The kickoff is by far the most dangerous play that we have in our game. The hits are pretty violent and they come from all different directions. There are guys running full speed, that's the problem. That's why we put the rule in. It shortens the field a little bit and it cuts down the number of returns.
40 percent drop in concussions because of a tweak...

An idea by Greg Schiano to placate the onside brigade
This is Schiano’s plan: Replace all kickoffs with a punting situation, including after the opening coin toss and to start the second half. So, as an example, when Team A scores a touchdown, it immediately gets the ball back on a fourth and 15 from its own 30-yard line.

It can punt it back to Team B — the most likely outcome and a safer play since the bigger collisions usually happen on kickoffs.

Or it can line up and go for the first down, essentially replacing an onside kick with an offensive play that would require more skill than luck.

ha_rooney

Didn't realise there were so many concussions caused from the KO return, a 40% drop is huge.

The second idea would be a very good alternative and as the quote says, it would be based more on skill than luck (although there is always an element of luck involved).

kikks

Eli would like that second idea :p

Sounds good though. I didn't know that there were so many injuries connected to the kick-offs either. But what will poor Hester do then?

MrMarcello

Eliminate the helmets!

You'll see no leading with the head. Back to the basics of tackling too. Works just fine in rugby and Australian rules.

That's no more radical than eliminating kickoffs. It would make the players more marketable by seeing their face - the clubs and league would love this and so would players with endorsements potential.

gormless

Whist on the subject of concussions and Seau, a lot of people seem to be assuming it was concussion related, but it could possibly have been steroid related. He was most likely juicing throughout his career, and a side effect of that is depression

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding when it comes to concussions and how they're caused.

A concussion occurs when the brain impacts the inside of the skull due to rapid changes in momentum. We often think of them occurring due to the head being hit by something, because an external impact usually causes the head to accelerate or decelerate very quickly, but an impact isn't required at all to cause a concussion. Rotational accelerations are especially harmful because the brain doesn't rotate about its center of mass, so rapid twisting and whipping motions can lead to some violent impacts between the brain and skull.

In the case of helmets, the main protection comes from the padding inside and not the hard shell on the outside. The shell does help to spread the energy out to different parts of the padding which help slow the impact down, but the fact that it protects your skull from fractures doesn't contribute to protection against concussions. Actually a shell to shell impact doesn't dissipate the energy well at all, since it's not designed to collapse. A softer shell that still spreads the energy around while doing a better job of slowing the impact down would probably work better. Actually putting padding on the outside of the helmet would probably be one of the best ways to cut down on both concussions and blunt force injuries, but the NFL will never do that because it looks stupid.

Eliminating helmets would cut down on concussions from an attitude perspective since players would change their tackling habits (leading with the head causes a lot of concussions, not because of contact with the head but because this puts the head in a position where it's liable to get violently whipped in one direction or another) but wouldn't protect against other concussions caused by players' heads bouncing off the ground. Leather/foam helmets would probably be the best of both worlds.

gormless

Eliminating helmets would cut down on concussions from an attitude perspective since players would change their tackling habits (leading with the head causes a lot of concussions, not because of contact with the head but because this puts the head in a position where it's liable to get violently whipped in one direction or another) but wouldn't protect against other concussions caused by players' heads bouncing off the ground. Leather/foam helmets would probably be the best of both worlds.
I know the point you're making here: but I just felt the need to post this

Prediction Time

Here's my post season qualifiers. In no particular order.

AFC
- Houston Texans
- New England Patriots
- Baltimore Ravens
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- San Diego Chargers
- Denver Broncos

NFC
- Green Bay Packers
- Chicago Bears
- Philadelphia Eagles
- Atlanta Falcons
- San Francisco 49ers
- Detroit Lions

I just can't figure out what the Saints will do after their summer of turmoil, so I'll take a chance on them just missing out.

Your turn...

ha_rooney

My predictions:

AFC North: Ravens; Steelers (wildcard)
AFC East: Patriots; Jets (wildcard)
AFC South: Texans
AFC West: Chargers

NFC North: Packers
NFC East: Eagles; Giants (wildcard)
NFC South: Falcons; Saints (wildcard)
NFC West: 49ers

Superbowl: Patriots beat Packers

The NFC is packed with talent. I think Brees will get the Saints into the playoffs and I think the Lions will suffer with their disciplinary issues and miss out this year.

AFC is a lot easier to predict. It was a toss up between Denver & NY for the last spot and I think the Jets just about sneak into the playoffs. Will be interesting how the Bengals perform this year, Dalton was quite impressive last year and looks a solid QB but whether they can make the playoffs again I'm not too sure.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Does anyone here subscribe to NFL Game Pass? Am thinking of doing it this season so I can see all the Niners game - but just wanted to hear peoples experiences of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.