Nfl 2011-2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

So finally a bit of business is going on in the NFL, Cam Newton is the number 1 pick.

Reckon things will snowball from here and we will get a full season out of it, maybe sans two preseason games.

Broncos get Von Miller, very nice.

forevrared

I know we gave up a ton but I am pretty pumped about Juuuullliiooooooooooooooooooo!

If he starts contributing early, we could easily have the best offense in the NFL by week 6.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Some guy has got drafted by the Lions & he doesn't look very happy about it.

I'm suprised Favre hasn't tried to make a comeback yet.

Chapster

abit of reaching here

amazing amount given up by the falcons

#1, #2, #4 this year and #1 and #4 next year

Chapster

some surprises in the picks... bowers is falling like a stone

Chapster

I'm surprised eagles went with Watkins. I'm guessing they are going to make an all out play for Nnamdi Asomugha

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
I like the 49ers pick, though I'm not sure it's at the best spot. Arizona taking Patrick Peterson screwed things up, though it shouldn't surprise me that the best player in the draft isn't going to last until 7.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Breaking News on the CNN website: "The 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals grants NFL's request to restore a lockout amid a labor dispute, court clerk says."

I take it this is not good news?

gormless

Pats lack of pass rush is really getting ridiculous now. Passed up on Bowers 3 times. Unbelievable. Especially when we picked a corner I've never even heard of. Could have got Amukamara if they wanted a corner.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Nobody wanted to see a pass rusher more than me but Bowers really doesn’t seem like a scheme fit. He’s strictly a 4-3 end, surely? Not to mention the knee issues. They had their pick of the second tier of pass rush talent with the first pick of the second round though and chose to pass. Oakland has given away their second rounder next year to go with the first picked up from the Saints. Maybe they can trade them to get a pass rusher in 2028.

On second thought, maybe Ryan Mallett can come off the edge on third downs.

mjs020294

Bowers is good value where the Bucs took him. Lots of talent but a risk because of his knee. Really love how the Bucs have draft the last couple of years. First two picks last year DT, first two this year DE. With the young offensive players they already have the future is looking vey bright.

Neutral

BTV
Happy with how the draft has gone for the Skins so far...For once we actually held on to our picks!

No more giving away a fortune to trade for duds/overrated 'stars'.

Chapster

BTV - who do you follow again?

gorm - Prince is more a cover corner isn't he? Pats usually go for the all around guys not just the cover guys.. Still surprised he fell as far as he did but people consider he doesn't have 'elite hands'.

Buccs did really well with the draft I think. Bowers in rd 3 is fantastic.

I'm not particularly happy with the eagles picks, as I hadn't read too much on it, but after reading the 'scouting' reports seems like they were pretty solid picks and not necessarily reaches

gormless

BTV - who do you follow again?

gorm - Prince is more a cover corner isn't he? Pats usually go for the all around guys not just the cover guys.. Still surprised he fell as far as he did but people consider he doesn't have 'elite hands'.

Buccs did really well with the draft I think. Bowers in rd 3 is fantastic.

I'm not particularly happy with the eagles picks, as I hadn't read too much on it, but after reading the 'scouting' reports seems like they were pretty solid picks and not necessarily reaches
I haven't seen much of Amukamara to be honest, but from the little I have (highlights online, and "experts" opinions) he looks like he could do a job for the pats. Couldn't have done any worse than Butler did last year anyway. I'm just quite pissed that we missed out on 2 years of Richard Seymour for a tackle who may not even start next year. Seymour could have made the difference against the jets. Sanchez had so much time to throw. Was sure we were getting a pass rusher, and possibly Ingram as well.

Chapster

I haven't seen much of Amukamara to be honest, but from the little I have (highlights online, and "experts" opinions) he looks like he could do a job for the pats. Couldn't have done any worse than Butler did last year anyway. I'm just quite pissed that we missed out on 2 years of Richard Seymour for a tackle who may not even start next year. Seymour could have made the difference against the jets. Sanchez had so much time to throw. Was sure we were getting a pass rusher, and possibly Ingram as well.
you have to protect brady. Isn't Light off contract? Mankins held out last yr... O-line was a big need. The only thing that stopped you from beating hte jets last year was a ridiculously good game played by the Jets secondary that game.
Brady had eons in the pocket but couldn't find an open receiver. Never seen anything like it.

How old is Wilfork btw? still some good seasons in him?

Chapster

Chapster - the once mighty, now richer than ever, completely inept and hapless

Washington Redskins
oh bugger I just re-read your post above and it said Skins. :lol:

amazed you guys didn't go QB at any stage this draft. Maybe you'll make a play for Palmer, can't see the eagles giving up Kolb to you guys.

Or maybe you'll hang onto McNabb with that ridiculous contract he signed last yr?

gbgary

maybe the skins will make an offer for palmer.

my Packers did well i think. more beef up front to take care of rodgers, more weapons on offense and a little more depth.

Chapster

yeah packers had a good draft.

Why are there only 30 actual picks in rd 7?
I remember Detroit lost theirs for something or other but they got it back on appeal?

who lost picks?

gormless

you have to protect brady. Isn't Light off contract? Mankins held out last yr... O-line was a big need. The only thing that stopped you from beating hte jets last year was a ridiculously good game played by the Jets secondary that game.
Brady had eons in the pocket but couldn't find an open receiver. Never seen anything like it.

How old is Wilfork btw? still some good seasons in him?
Yeah, they were coverage sacks, I remember one time when he stood in the pocket for a good 7 or 8 seconds then just had to throw it away. No deep threat hurt us there. Tate doesn't count. In the regular season game, Brady just picked on Cromartie and stayed away from Revis, but in the playoffs, Cromartie played very well as well and Brady had nowhere to really go. And Wilfork is coming up 30 I think, but he's got a few good seasons in him. If Wright (last years leader in sacks for the Pats) comes back from his concussion, then Wilfork might end up at DE, he did alright there at times last year.

Edit: I think Light will be back, he doesn't seem to want to leave. Though talking of O-line men: Marcus Cannon was picked by the pats in 5th round. Has cancer and if it wasn't for that rumour is Bears would have taken him in the first. Suggests he'll be quite good once he's finished his treatment

Chapster

yeah seems like a good risk/reward pick. Like Bowers for the buccs. Top 5 prospect but for a potentially dodgy knee.

Strange picks by the eagles, especially that last one. I know Weaver coming back from an ACL but a fullback that doesn't enjoy lead blocking or seek contact?!?

Alex

Happy with how the draft has gone for the Skins so far...For once we actually held on to our picks!

No more giving away a fortune to trade for duds/overrated 'stars'.
The lockout has helped in preventing Sneider from going out and doing stupid things, next year will probably be the best year for the Skins since he has been there, maybe.

forevrared

Scratching my head over the punter the Falcons took in round 6. :confused:

He was apparently a kicker there as well so that's the only thing I can make of it, considering we have an awesome punter already in Michael Koenan and 2 years ago set a record for least amount of punt return yards allowed (<100 all season).

Really like the look of Jacquizz Rodgers in round 5, although his parents were morons for naming him that. He had over 50 TD's in college in a pretty solid conference.

Neutral

BTV
oh bugger I just re-read your post above and it said Skins. :lol:

amazed you guys didn't go QB at any stage this draft. Maybe you'll make a play for Palmer, can't see the eagles giving up Kolb to you guys.

Or maybe you'll hang onto McNabb with that ridiculous contract he signed last yr?
McNabb won't be there to take the 1st snap of the season for the Skins, whenever that is.

He'll be gone, without doubt.

Chapster

YEah i didn't think so re: McNabb...

some say a deal with the vikings was on but I cant see Ponder not starting with the Vikings reaching as they did

GloryHunter07

I'm surprised eagles went with Watkins. I'm guessing they are going to make an all out play for Nnamdi Asomugha
Im praying we do everything we can to keep Nnamdi, we didnt use up cap space on a first round pick this year so should have the room.

Also could do with keeping Bush and Miller.

Chapster

Circuit of 8 hints that the players will lose the appeal on the lockout injunction....

but mediated talks continued today...

most peope don't expect a full season anymore :(

Excal

Great article on Deadpsin, "The Bizarre Cult of Pro-Owner NFL Fanboys"

No success is ever entirely self-made. Billionaires don't just crawl out of a fecking swamp and then work 23-hour days until they're filthy rich and deserving of every penny. There are a million factors that go into the making of a successful person, and hard work is merely one of them. There's an element of luck. There's certainly an element of breeding. There's an element of good timing, of catching the wave at the precise right moment. All of those things factor in, not to mention the millions upon millions of tax dollars used to subsidize the stadiums many of these fine gentlemen happen to now own. But these pro-owner people seem to believe that NFL owners are fecking magical money unicorns that came out of a glowing cistern on a mountaintop, and they have carte blanche to strongarm people accordingly.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
I was reading that the NFL might miss its first 3-5 games, thus leading to a truncated season.

Can they not just start the season when all the financial guff is sorted out, play the full 16 games then finish in March or whenever?

Chapster

it would have flow on effects for future seasons if it ended in March, adequate rest/recovery, etc

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
it would have flow on effects for future seasons if it ended in March, adequate rest/recovery, etc
Yeah, but teams get 6/7 months off between seasons as it is. Hypothetically speaking, if the season finished in March this year the players would still get at least 5 months off (barring pre-season training) before the start of the next one.

Would that not be adequate recovery time?

Chapster

Freeman: 80-85% Of NFL's CBA Deal Is Done - Bleeding Green Nation

some good news today re: lock out. IT seems like relations are thawing between the NFLPA and the NFL itself, so we may see a deal done sooner rather than later. Importantly Shaun O'Hara has been telling his teammates to be ready to attend camp mid July. Shaun O'Hara (from my reading this offseason) seems to be a prominent rep of the players during the negotiating process

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Surprised this thread hasn't been bumped after the lockout came to an end.

As expected, plenty of activity:
Asomugha to Jets/Texans?
Reggie Bush on the verge of going to Miami.
Haynesworth to the Patriots. (What the feck!?)
Sidney Rice to the Seahawks. Nice move by Seattle...shame they don't have anyone to throw the ball to him.

And a bunch of other shit too.

Neutral

BTV
Skins so far

Donte Stallworth - if he is fit, and knuckles down, it could work.
Jabar Gaffney - again veteran guy, had a good season last year, hopefully will contribute
Brandon Stokley - ummm more wide receivers?
Josh Wilson - need a CB, so why not?
Kellen Clemens - Beck as starter, so he Clemens can do what he's done all his career, walk around with a clipboard.
Bo Cofield - pretty happy with this signing, can play a couple of positions.

13 wide receivers on the roster at the moment.

Outgoings

McNabb - Never should have signed him in the 1st place, not sad to see him go at all.

Haynesworth - Same story, petulant feck, pocketed $50mil+ for doing nothing at all, ahh front office and not giving a damn about money. My only regret is, he'll now knuckle down, and be a success for the Pats, on the cheap :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.