Nfl 2011-2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excal

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
punching cats for eggs at a dustbin near you
Right my NFL following caftards a bit of advice is required.

I've agreed to take part in a fantasy league type thing and know nothing about the sport, can you provide me with any hints or players to look to get in the draft? Perhaps suggest some that might not be well known but have potential to surprise?

Also i need to start watching the sport so suggestions on a team to follow would be good, i've looked at the titans and falcons as possibles....

Thanks for any help and/or advice

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Follow the Patriots! If you have a favorite player then maybe start following the team he plays for or watch a couple of teams during pre-season and pick one.

I can't help you with the fantasy advice as I only have a passing interest in the NFL but there's a few lads on here who have great knowledge and I'm sure they'll be able to help.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle

I've agreed to take part in a fantasy league type thing and know nothing about the sport, can you provide me with any hints or players to look to get in the draft? Perhaps suggest some that might not be well known but have potential to surprise?

Also i need to start watching the sport so suggestions on a team to follow would be good, i've looked at the titans and falcons as possibles....

First of all what kind of draft is it? Auction or regular (snake)?

After that you can ask us for specific players, but what might be really helpful if you're completely unfamiliar is to go to ESPN and Yahoo and find their rankings at each position.

sidsutton

A quarterback is essential so try and draft Joe Montana or Dan Marino.

sidsutton

What do caftards think of the Chris Johnson holdout? Which side are you on?

Chapster

CJs. he is their best player, is the 2nd best RB in the league so should be paid like one. If he gets injured, he gets cut, so I think he's right to look after himself and make sure he gets paid

mjs020294

The Bucs are on the rise. The squad that played the other night on had two players over 25. Laying the foundations to be a very good team in 2012-13. They might even be a dark horse to win the NFC this year.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
First of all Jgray, do NOT follow the Jets. Go with a team with a good young QB and core who you can watch develop over the next 5 years, as you learn more about the game. Tampa Bay, St Louis or even Detroit spring to mind, I would probably go with Bradford or Freeman at this point. Atlanta is a good one too.

Tiberius Aquila

The Caf's fantasy hockey champ 07/08
Know your scoring categories! I can't emphasize this enough. Every league may be tweaked a bit differently so a player who is gangbusters in one league may not yield quite the same results in another. A quarterback who puts up great numbers with 1 point per 10 yards passed will not look as shiny with a 1 point per 25 yards passed, for instance.

I like to establish a good rapport with others in my league so fair trading and such can happen. It's good to be known as someone who can be dealt with. Could prove the difference late in a season when that last piece of the puzzle is on someone else's roster.

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
Well i'm going to stump for the Bucs, I like the sound of a young developing team and the young QB sounds like one to watch.

I assume WR and RB's are the main draws in the draft, the draft we're doing - isn't an auction but instead we pick in turn with 1 picking first on the first go round but last on the second. My downfall will be not knowing which players to get in the draft - the lads doing it with me have followed the sport for a bit now and will be aware of who to draft but I can only go on stats which aren't always reliable.

If you could name 3 or 4 players that I should look to try and get in who would you say and why?

As for points scoring, i don't really know how that works to be honest!

Tiberius Aquila

I assume WR and RB's are the main draws in the draft, the draft we're doing - isn't an auction but instead we pick in turn with 1 picking first on the first go round but last on the second. My downfall will be not knowing which players to get in the draft - the lads doing it with me have followed the sport for a bit now and will be aware of who to draft but I can only go on stats which aren't always reliable.

If you could name 3 or 4 players that I should look to try and get in who would you say and why?

1) Be flexible. Any 3 or 4 players you want to target may be way long gone before it comes to you. Someone else has them in their sights too. The draft is an exceedingly fluid situation. Be ready to change quickly.

1a) If that stud you wanted gets taken leaving you slack-jawed, move on quickly. Concentrate on the next best player.

2) Don't follow a run on a certain position, for example, 4 or 5 RBs disappear in a row right off and you're slightly panicked. Change tack, grab a high end QB instead, or some other highly-ranked player at a different position. Don't follow the herd.

3) Homework. If you don't do it, you're gonna take a shellacking.

Tiberius Aquila

1) Be flexible. Any 3 or 4 players you want to target may be way long gone before it comes to you. Someone else has them in their sights too. The draft is an exceedingly fluid situation. Be ready to change quickly.

1a) If that stud you wanted gets taken leaving you slack-jawed, move on quickly. Concentrate on the next best player.

2) Don't follow a run on a certain position, for example, 4 or 5 RBs disappear in a row right off and you're slightly panicked. Change tack, grab a high end QB instead, or some other highly-ranked player at a different position. Don't follow the herd.

3) Homework. If you don't do it, you're gonna take a shellacking.
Do you know your draft position yet? How many league members?

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
Do you know your draft position yet? How many league members?
I think there are 10 teams in it, possibly 12 and the draft positions aren't sorted yet, i'm trying to get my head around everything but keep stumbling across random terms that throw me, like sleeper picks!?

I've lumped a load of players in my pre-draft roster, is that the best plan of attack and then just aim to get as good a player i can in terms of projected points?

I presume you've done plenty of these in the past then? i'm going to try some mock drafts and see how they work out.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Well i'm going to stump for the Bucs, I like the sound of a young developing team and the young QB sounds like one to watch.

Definitely hunt that info down. This will affect the types of players you end up drafting and the priority. Post them here and we'll help you out.

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
Here are the points;

Offense
Passing Yards:1 point per 25 yards
Passing Touchdowns:4 points
Interceptions Thrown:-2 points
Rushing Yards:1 point per 10 yards
Rushing Touchdowns:6 points
Receiving Yards:1 point per 10 yards
Receiving Touchdowns:6 points
Fumble Recovered for TD:6 points
Fumbles Lost:-2 points
2-Point Conversions:2 points
Kicking
PAT Made:1 point
FG Made 0-19:3 points
FG Made 20-29:3 points
FG Made 30-39:3 points
FG Made 40-49:3 points
FG Made 50+:5 points
Defense / Special Teams
Sacks:1 point
Interceptions:2 points
Fumbles Recovered:2 points
Safeties:2 points
Touchdowns:6 points
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns:6 points
Points Allowed 0:10 points
Points Allowed 1-6:7 points
Points Allowed 7-13:4 points
Points Allowed 14-20:1 point
Points Allowed 21-27:0 points
Points Allowed 28-34:-1 point
Points Allowed 35+:-4 points

gormless

CJs. he is their best player, is the 2nd best RB in the league so should be paid like one. If he gets injured, he gets cut, so I think he's right to look after himself and make sure he gets paid
This. But I'd argue he's the best rb in the league. AP hasn't been the only weapon on the vikings offence like CJ has been for the titans

Oh and jgraham. If you can, get tom Brady. If bot him get Breese. I think he'll do well with an improved running game to help him out

Tiberius Aquila

Here are the points;

Offense

Okay, this one really sticks out for me, because you're only getting 4pts for every passing touchdown but 6pts for every rushing touchdown.

This boosts the stock of a running back vs a quarterback.

Chapster

Here are the points;

Offense
Kicking
Defense / Special Teams
looks like standard score (althuogh the FG look slightly out of whack (thought it was 2 pts unless it was >45 yrds).

Tiberius Aquila

I think there are 10 teams in it, possibly 12 and the draft positions aren't sorted yet, i'm trying to get my head around everything but keep stumbling across random terms that throw me, like sleeper picks!?

I've lumped a load of players in my pre-draft roster, is that the best plan of attack and then just aim to get as good a player i can in terms of projected points?

I presume you've done plenty of these in the past then? i'm going to try some mock drafts and see how they work out.
Sleeper picks are players who, for whatever reason, aren't drawing as much attention as others and who could be late round gold. Guys who've been injured and are healthy now, guys coming off sub-par years, etc.

Avoid the hype of big name rookies. They're trouble, usually. It takes a few years to start putting up the numbers that fantasy owners can live with.

If you follow your pre-draft rankings you're not going to go too wrong, but remember those projected stats are subject to many unforeseen elements. The absolute best way to go into your draft is in knowing the players. Short of that read what the "experts" predict and go with that.

Have fun is rule number!

Yes, I've played in and won a number of league titles in my day. :)

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Here are the points;

Offense
Kicking
Defense / Special Teams
Yahoo league?

If that's the case, I like to sort the whole player list by average draft position while drafting. While it makes sense to try to get the players you want, it also helps if you can get them at the right time relative to other players (or maybe later as a bargain). There's always going to be a few quirks because of how dumb some people can be while drafting, but usually it evens out pretty well. It gives you a good idea of whether you're drafting a player way too early or getting a bargain late. That said if people seem to be completely ignoring a player for some unknown reason, you might want to check if they're injured long-term (or suspended).

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Never draft more than two players from one team. If you do, it's often good to get a QB/WR or QB/TE combo, assuming said combo put up stats (i.e. like say Romo/Witten).

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Pats running riot on Glazers' Bucs, 21-0 after 1 quarter :drool:. It might only be pre-season but we're looking good.

I don't like the new kick-off rule, too many touchbacks and takes away from the entertainment of the kick return. Also, I don't think it's a good idea having the officals look at every TD score to make sure it actually is a TD. It's far more entertaining watching the kicking unit run out there to get the PAT whilst the opponent decides to challenge the call or not. Imo the new rule slows the game down further and again takes away some of the entertainment of the game.

Chapster

Pats running riot on Glazers' Bucs, 21-0 after 1 quarter :drool:. It might only be pre-season but we're looking good.

I don't like the new kick-off rule, too many touchbacks and takes away from the entertainment of the kick return. Also, I don't think it's a good idea having the officals look at every TD score to make sure it actually is a TD. It's far more entertaining watching the kicking unit run out there to get the PAT whilst the opponent decides to challenge the call or not. Imo the new rule slows the game down further and again takes away some of the entertainment of the game.
haven't seen any games yet but I can imagine htat's frustrating. Unfortunately the kick off thing is for player safety... so it'll be here to stay.

Neutral

BTV
Raiders pick up Terrell Pryor in the 3rd round of the Supplementary draft.

Raiders next year won't have picks in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
So we did our draft and I ended up with this lot - how does it look?

Payton Manning
Ray Rice
Rashard Mendenhall
Steve Johnson
Brandon Marshall
Larry Fitzgerald
Kellen Winslow

Bench

Sam Bradford
Tim Hightower
Mike Tolbert
Beanie Wells
Jacoby Ford
Steve Smith

Kicker

Josh Brown

Defence

Patriots.

I know Manning isn't 100% yet but shouldn't be far off. Jacoby Ford I think from my research has the potential to be a dark horse in this years fantasy.

So anyway, any stand out problems?

gormless

Peyton Manning puts up ridiculous statistics year on year. Larry Fitzgerald is arguably the most talented receiver in the league, but he has an average QB. But he still put up good stats last year with godawful QB's so he should come good with a slightly better QB this year.

And I'm fairly sure Brandon Marshall is currently being treated for some sort of mental illness. He's also a good bet to be arrested at some point over the course of the season

jveezy

Fo' shizzle

Payton Manning
Ray Rice
Rashard Mendenhall
Steve Johnson
Brandon Marshall
Larry Fitzgerald
Kellen Winslow

Bench

Sam Bradford
Tim Hightower
Mike Tolbert
Beanie Wells
Jacoby Ford
Steve Smith

Kicker

Josh Brown

Defence

Patriots.

I know Manning isn't 100% yet but shouldn't be far off. Jacoby Ford I think from my research has the potential to be a dark horse in this years fantasy.

The awesome thing about Manning is that he's very consistent week to week. You're either going to get good numbers out of him or great numbers. Bradford is a solid choice at backup.

Edit: Sometimes I run into problems choosing who to start when I have two good quarterbacks. You don't look like you'll have that problem. Manning is clearly the better player and he's good enough that even if Bradford happens to score higher in one week, keep starting Manning unless he's absolutely shit. If you get too caught up in juggling players around, you tend to end up overthinking things and starting the wrong player every week.

I don't know much about Jacoby Ford except that he's blazing fast, but my big concern would be who is actually going to throw him the ball. Same with Brandon Marshall and Steve Johnson. And maybe Steve Smith depending on which Steve Smith you got. Pretty much all your receivers don't have the greatest quarterbacks throwing to them. The good receivers like Fitzgerald find a way to make things easier on their QB so they end up putting up big numbers anyways.

One thing you might want to do if you're not sure who to start is to look at who they're playing and compare them to the stats on this page (or similar pages):

NFL - Statistics by Team - Yahoo! Sports

Some times you can get by starting a mediocre receiver against a weak pass defense or a mediocre rusher against a weak rush defense if you're really stumped. But at the same time don't overthink it and drop a consistently good player because you're worried about who they're playing. Good players find a way to make plays regardless of who they play against.

If you can get a little over ten points per week from everyone on your team, you're doing well, though this is where having Manning is very nice because he usually gets around 20.

Chapster

Payton Manning
Ray Rice
Rashard Mendenhall
Steve Johnson
Brandon Marshall
Larry Fitzgerald
Kellen Winslow

Bench

Sam Bradford
Tim Hightower
Mike Tolbert
Beanie Wells
Jacoby Ford
Steve Smith

Kicker

Josh Brown

Defence

Patriots.

on first glance your team looks fairly strong. You may need to look into strengthening your RB throughout hte season but your first choice ones are very very good. Mike tolbert is a good pick though because ryan matthews is made of glass

Steve Smith (Car) or (Phi)?

your starting WR are pretty good all 3 are number one receivers in their respective teams

sidenote: I recall there was a Redskins fan on this forum. What are your thoughts on John Beck/Rex Grossman as a starting QB? are you guys tanking for Andrew Luck.

Neutral

BTV
on first glance your team looks fairly strong. You may need to look into strengthening your RB throughout hte season but your first choice ones are very very good. Mike tolbert is a good pick though because ryan matthews is made of glass

Steve Smith (Car) or (Phi)?

your starting WR are pretty good all 3 are number one receivers in their respective teams

sidenote: I recall there was a Redskins fan on this forum. What are your thoughts on John Beck/Rex Grossman as a starting QB? are you guys tanking for Andrew Luck.
I'm the Redskins fan....we won't get Luck. I believe we'll win 6 games this season. As for my thoughts on Beck and Sexy Rexy :nervous:

Status
Not open for further replies.