NFL 2015-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
  • Marshawn Lynch signed a 2 year deal to stay with Seattle.
  • Brandon Marshall traded to the Jets for a 5th round pick.
  • Harvin rumored to be released once Marshall passes his physical

Free agency starts in 3 days

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I still can't believe the didn't let Lynch run the fecking ball.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Ooohhh, Manning signs for another year.

Pats have also decided not to pick up Revis option for a second year. Apparently they are confident at re-negotiating a better long term deal.

Love the madness of free agency, can't wait!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't have the nous for all these trades and draft picks.

But a 5th round pick seems a little bit light, the rumor was that Fox or the GM wanted to get rid of him because of his character but he is still prolific,
replacing him won't be easy.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Pats need to try to keep McCourty and Revis. Losing both would be terrible business.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I don't have the nous for all these trades and draft picks.

But a 5th round pick seems a little bit light, the rumor was that Fox or the GM wanted to get rid of him because of his character but he is still prolific,
replacing him won't be easy.
He's old, he's got a big cap hit and the Bears are going nowhere fast. But yes, I am surprised it was so low.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I'm starting following this year, watched Superbowls in the past but looking forward to paying attention the whole season. What's everyone's favourite news sources? BBC and the Guardian aren't much use as my usual outlets...

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
Ooohhh, Manning signs for another year.

Pats have also decided not to pick up Revis option for a second year. Apparently they are confident at re-negotiating a better long term deal.

Love the madness of free agency, can't wait!
They were never going to pick up that option- the cap hit would have been unbelievable.

If they do manage to sign him it'll be 4-years at 16/17m I reckon.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Is Bulaga really worth $7-8 million for the Packers ? Let him walk. Green Bay's ZBS isn't overly dependent on personnel anyway. Especially a right tackle who can't stay fit for the whole season.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Is Bulaga really worth $7-8 million for the Packers ? Let him walk. Green Bay's ZBS isn't overly dependent on personnel anyway. Especially a right tackle who can't stay fit for the whole season.
Bulaga was part of a group that Rodgers said is the best he's had. Bulaga will have to take less than what he can get elsewhere though for him to stay. Just like Cobb and Nelson have done before him.

GloryHunter07

Chris Johnson (CJ2k) SHOT IN THE SHOULDER - in stable condition. Driver of car he is in apparently killed.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Bulaga was part of a group that Rodgers said is the best he's had. Bulaga will have to take less than what he can get elsewhere though for him to stay. Just like Cobb and Nelson have done before him.
To be fair quarterbacks say complementary stuff like that all the time. Rodgers said a lot of positive things about Deitrich-Smith last season and they replaced him just fine with Linsley. Brady was 'very upset' when Mankins left but the line was exceptional after the KC game. The FA tackle market is really bad so desperate teams will throw money at Bulaga. You're right, if he gives the Packers a home discount and settles for $5-6 million then good. Anything over that is a bit much given his medical history and they could probably draft an above average run blocking tackle in the mid rounds (Sambrailo ?) to replace him. Anyway, Ted Thompson's a smart GM, he'll sort it out.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
He is the best RT in the FA. And in top 5 last season overall, I think. More importantly, he has an understanding with rest of the line and maybe we can get anyone at same level, but can't think of better options.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Jeez. Suh to sign the richest contract for a defensive player ever with Miami. $114 million over 6 years, 60 guaranteed. That's elite QB level money.

He is the best RT in the FA. And in top 5 last season overall, I think. More importantly, he has an understanding with rest of the line and maybe we can get anyone at same level, but can't think of better options.
But he has missed 28 of the last 64 regular season games with injuries. If I'm the GM the last thing I'd want is giving a big contract to a player with durability concerns. If you have the right scheme, replacing one starter isn't that big of a deal. Someone like Bakhtiari was taken in the fourth round and he's been solid if unspectacular with 32 uninterrupted starts since getting drafted. And playing left tackle is substantially more complex that the right.

Last edited:

ha_rooney

Suh is going to make crazy money :eek:

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Jeez. Suh to sign the richest contract for a defensive player ever with Miami. $114 million over 6 years, 60 guaranteed. That's elite QB level money.

But he has missed 28 of the last 64 regular season games with injuries. If I'm the GM the last thing I'd want is giving a big contract to a player with durability concerns. If you have the right scheme, replacing one starter isn't that big of a deal. Someone like Bakhtiari was taken in the fourth round and he's been solid if unspectacular with 32 uninterrupted starts since getting drafted. And playing left tackle is substantially more complex that the right.
If Bulaga signs else where its like Barclay that takes his spot at RT and that was a pretty big drop off from what we saw last season from him.

I do agree he'll only stay if its at the right price, which will be significantly cheaper than what he can get else where.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Slightly off topic, but anybody know any trusted sites in England to get a white Gronk Jersey :lol:
I bought the Brady one a few years ago but have only wore it like 2 or 3 times, it absolutely drowns me :(

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Question: Should the salary cap be eliminated or altered to mirror MLB (tax) or NBA (soft + tax)?

Colin Cowherd was arguing against the cap especially in a sport with 50+ players and various yearly minimum salaries. The league also has a spending floor - a club must spend actual cash that meets this floor - however, it is spread over four CBA years (2013-2016) and must meet at least 89% average over the four year period. The penalty is nothing much - the club must basically give the shortfall to the players, much less severe than collusion or exceeding the salary cap (I believe the cash under the cap rule still applies too). This creates another accounting method that clubs also need to not only account for back-loaded contracts, but also ensure they spend X dollars each league year to meet this rule. Probably not a big ordeal overall but nonetheless a talking point

I was always for the hard salary cap in the NFL but have seen some persons raise valid points. I've longed wanted to see the top tier players remain with their original club, if desired, despite salary cap implications. However, I also do not want to see a club or two dominate the free agent market (i.e. Red Sox and Yankees). But there's a big difference in provisions allowing a club to retain its drafted players beyond the initial contract despite salary cap levels versus signing dozens of free agents.

Why not allow a club to retain its drafted and groomed players in a similar fashion to the NBA, and then tax clubs that exceed certain salary thresholds, and pool that money to be distributed to those that stay under the cap?

Would it destroy a portion of the league's ability to compete with larger markets? Or is the large market claim a mere myth?

The NFL is so massive that each club earns X dollars from a revenue sharing pool before the first kickoff of a season (or is projected to receive X dollars). A hard cap is not necessary for an equal/fair revenue sharing scheme (exhibit: NBA, MLS, NHL).

With the present and projected health of the NFL, would a soft cap, or even a no cap system, benefit the league or cause a haves/have nots society?

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Julius Thomas to Jacksonville apparently.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Revis heading back to the Jets ?

What's the draft pick order?
Round 1 only :

1 Tampa Bay
2 Tennessee
3 Jacksonville
4 Oakland
5 Washington
6 New York Jets
7 Chicago
8 Atlanta
9 New York Giants
10 St. Louis
11 Minnesota
12 Cleveland
13 New Orleans
14 Miami
15 San Francisco
16 Houston
17 San Diego
18 Kansas City
19 Buffalo -> Cleveland for Sammy Watkins trade up
20 Philadelphia
21 Cincinnati
22 Pittsburgh
23 Detroit
24 Arizona
25 Carolina
26 Baltimore
27 Dallas
28 Denver
29 Indianapolis
30 Green Bay
31 Seattle
32 New England

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Revis said he wants to remain with the Patriots if they're willing to meet a certain price, presumably lower than other clubs may offer. Kinda hard to leave a winning organization but money talks.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad

Revis heading back to the Jets ?

Round 1 only :

1 Tampa Bay
2 Tennessee
3 Jacksonville
4 Oakland
5 Washington
6 New York Jets
7 Chicago
8 Atlanta
9 New York Giants
10 St. Louis
11 Minnesota
12 Cleveland
13 New Orleans
14 Miami
15 San Francisco
16 Houston
17 San Diego
18 Kansas City
19 Buffalo -> Cleveland for Sammy Watkins trade up
20 Philadelphia
21 Cincinnati
22 Pittsburgh
23 Detroit
24 Arizona
25 Carolina
26 Baltimore
27 Dallas
28 Denver
29 Indianapolis
30 Green Bay
31 Seattle
32 New England
I still think they will land Revis if the reports are anything to go by. Revis says he is will willing to resign at a certain price, $18m left in the cap room now plus I'm sure there will be a few restructuring such as Dola, possibly Mayo too would free up a bit more. The money is still there as things stand to keep Revis, if they do manage to lock those two down before the market that would be huge.

McCourty has been talking to Revis since agreeing to stay too.

Last edited:

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Question: Should the salary cap be eliminated or altered to mirror MLB (tax) or NBA (soft + tax)?

Colin Cowherd was arguing against the cap especially in a sport with 50+ players and various yearly minimum salaries. The league also has a spending floor - a club must spend actual cash that meets this floor - however, it is spread over four CBA years (2013-2016) and must meet at least 89% average over the four year period. The penalty is nothing much - the club must basically give the shortfall to the players, much less severe than collusion or exceeding the salary cap (I believe the cash under the cap rule still applies too). This creates another accounting method that clubs also need to not only account for back-loaded contracts, but also ensure they spend X dollars each league year to meet this rule. Probably not a big ordeal overall but nonetheless a talking point

I was always for the hard salary cap in the NFL but have seen some persons raise valid points. I've longed wanted to see the top tier players remain with their original club, if desired, despite salary cap implications. However, I also do not want to see a club or two dominate the free agent market (i.e. Red Sox and Yankees). But there's a big difference in provisions allowing a club to retain its drafted players beyond the initial contract despite salary cap levels versus signing dozens of free agents.

Why not allow a club to retain its drafted and groomed players in a similar fashion to the NBA, and then tax clubs that exceed certain salary thresholds, and pool that money to be distributed to those that stay under the cap?

Would it destroy a portion of the league's ability to compete with larger markets? Or is the large market claim a mere myth?

The NFL is so massive that each club earns X dollars from a revenue sharing pool before the first kickoff of a season (or is projected to receive X dollars). A hard cap is not necessary for an equal/fair revenue sharing scheme (exhibit: NBA, MLS, NHL).

With the present and projected health of the NFL, would a soft cap, or even a no cap system, benefit the league or cause a haves/have nots society?
I'm not even close to understanding the Salary Cap but I think its a good thing, in the sense you can't hoover up all the talent and pay top dollar. Smaller markets would surely struggle if that were the case right?

ha_rooney

Great news on McCourty, apparently won't hinder the financial side of things with Revis too much. Would be fantastic if we kept both.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Orlando Franklin moving from Broncos to Chargers. Thats not good news for the Broncos.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Patrick Willis contemplating retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.