NFL 2015-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
@Sylar : No probs, I'll take a longer look. Thanks for trying though :)

Ok, one thing that has always puzzled me about the NFL, is it seems the whole thing is money motivated.
Take Revis and Asaunte Samuel as examples. Superbowl winners, but are / was more than willing to move to lesser teams, that in all honesty, won't be winning the Superbowl anytime soon, just to get a big pay day.

Now, don't get me wrong, I get that if people offer you a lot of money, it is hard to turn down, but when they are already on big wages, and to be fair, don't really need the money, why would they choose to end with a more than probable mediocre end to their careers, just for money

gormless

Ok, one thing that has always puzzled me about the NFL, is it seems the whole thing is money motivated.
Take Revis and Asaunte Samuel as examples. Superbowl winners, but are / was more than willing to move to lesser teams, that in all honesty, won't be winning the Superbowl anytime soon, just to get a big pay day.

Now, don't get me wrong, I get that if people offer you a lot of money, it is hard to turn down, but when they are already on big wages, and to be fair, don't really need the money, why would they choose to end with a more than probable mediocre end to their careers, just for money
From a few things I've read, football is a way out of the ghetto for a lot of players. Therefore, they go for the money rather than success as money has always been the motivating factor. Asante Samuel got a tattoo during his Pats contract negotiation that simply reads, "Get Paid"

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me

Football is an incredibly brutal sport. The damage these guys do to their bodies is massive. Contracts arent fully guaranteed and the average career is like 3 years long. Any time they plant their knee could give way. Any time they block they can suffer brain injuries. Any time they get tackled or tackle they can get concussed. Careers can end in a single play or practice. As gormless says, these guys grew up very poor and most didn't get a good education because of all the hours put into the sport. The contracts are the rest of their lives.

There is actually a great documentary on how these guys get torn apart by vultures when they do actually get paid. Tons of them go bankrupt.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
I wouldn't blame Samuel for taking that big deal, though. He was coming to the end of his rookie contract and as a 4th round pick wouldn't have been making a boat load of cash.

Revis, on the other hand, has been minted since the second he set foot in the NFL.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

:( mercenary cnut

Anyway he had a great season for us and did his job.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad

:( mercenary cnut

Anyway he had a great season for us and did his job.
Just woke up and saw this. Shit :(

I like Revis though, nothing against him in fairness. He got what he wanted, a Super Bowl ring, we got what we wanted and this realistically was his last shot at a big deal.

Is there anyone left in free agency of decent value now? I'm hoping we sign Browner back to be honest now Revis is gone. Browner isn't a number 1 CB as such but he is a good player for size and strength.

iSparky

Cromartie is still out there. Wonder if he is an option the Pats are considering.

Its disappointing but if you said a year ago that Revis would come in, help us win a Super Bowl and then take off we'd have taken it. Pity he's going to the Jets though.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Not surprised that Revis hit the road. The Pats were never going to fork out that guaranteed money.

In other news: Jason Worilds has retired at 27. He was a free agent and probably would have made between $6-8m per year from whomever signed him.

gormless

Just woke up and saw this. Shit :(

I like Revis though, nothing against him in fairness. He got what he wanted, a Super Bowl ring, we got what we wanted and this realistically was his last shot at a big deal.

Is there anyone left in free agency of decent value now? I'm hoping we sign Browner back to be honest now Revis is gone. Browner isn't a number 1 CB as such but he is a good player for size and strength.
The theory about letting Browner go is that he doesn't fit the system anymore now that Revis is gone. He brings physicality, but you need to cheat the safety over to his side to cover for him, which only works if you have a Revis/Sherman on the other side. Now that Revis is gone, the Pat's can't do that anymore

Wittmann45

Not surprised that Revis hit the road. The Pats were never going to fork out that guaranteed money.

In other news: Jason Worilds has retired at 27. He was a free agent and probably would have made between $6-8m per year from whomever signed him.
Very odd. Maybe the CTE/head injury studies are really getting to players. A number of guys who could conceivably play on for a number of years and make many more millions have retired within the last couple days

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ryan Mathews to the Eagles, per source.

Last edited:

ha_rooney

wtf, I've just read that Browner was made a free agent?! Completely missed this news.

AFC East should be fun next year. All teams around us making moves, Pats need to address the big holes at CB now.

Phil

I'd have taken Browner back..

I'm very excited by Graham at Seattle, one of my favourite TEs.

iSparky

ESPN says that Tramon Williams and Patrick Robinson are listed as possible replacements for the Pats at CB with Revis now gone. Williams is due to visit the Saints and Robinson is attracting attention from the Vikings, Steelers, Panthers and Dolphins. Saints also interested in re-signing him.

ha_rooney

Pats signed couple of WRs (Kevin Dorsey & Brandon Gibson). Can't say I've heard of either of them, hopefully there's a bit of focus on recruiting on the defensive side now. RB also needs to be addressed.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Jabaal Sheard and two rubbish receivers who'll be cut before training camp ends.

Sylar

haha shit, forgot about that shark.

Free agency has been fun!

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
The theory about letting Browner go is that he doesn't fit the system anymore now that Revis is gone. He brings physicality, but you need to cheat the safety over to his side to cover for him, which only works if you have a Revis/Sherman on the other side. Now that Revis is gone, the Pat's can't do that anymore
It's a rubbish theory, to be fair. Especially when it comes to Earl Thomas and their mainly cover 3 concepts. Financials, as usual.

GloryHunter07

Very odd. Maybe the CTE/head injury studies are really getting to players. A number of guys who could conceivably play on for a number of years and make many more millions have retired within the last couple days
Worlids wants to do work with his church i think. Jehova's Witness.

Mighty Boosh

Free agency has been absolutely crazy this year, loving it!

Chip is either going to be an absolute hero or run out of Philly, apparently Murray is scheduled for a visit today not sure if they'll have room for him, Matthews and Sproles though. And whats gone wrong with the Saints? Many peoples pick for the Superbowl last preseason now appear to be in rebuild mode, Graham is gone and apparently they're open to trading anyone on the roster :eek: AFC East has had some influx of talent aswell, fun times ahead.

GloryHunter07

Chip is either going to be an absolute hero or run out of Philly, apparently Murray is scheduled for a visit today not sure if they'll have room for him, Matthews and Sproles though. And whats gone wrong with the Saints? Many peoples pick for the Superbowl last preseason now appear to be in rebuild mode, Graham is gone and apparently they're open to trading anyone on the roster :eek: AFC East has had some influx of talent aswell, fun times ahead.
I actually wouldnt be that surprised if the Saints traded Brees.

JPRouve

Scout

I read that they have cap issues at some point they were 16m over the cap.

ha_rooney

DeMarco Murray apparently heading to Philly to sign with them.

iSparky

Saints are said to be pushing for Browner. Offering more than $5M per year. I would love to see him come back to us but I get the feeling that the Pats have moved on already.

ha_rooney

Saints are said to be pushing for Browner. Offering more than $5M per year. I would love to see him come back to us but I get the feeling that the Pats have moved on already.
Shame that. He might get called for flags, but his size and physicality is so useful and it was only when he started defending on Matthews that we were able to stop that cnut in the SB.

iSparky

Amendola contract has been restructured. $12.75M over 3 years. Can max out at $15M Great deal, fair play to him. He played really well towards the end of the season. Harvin is also going to visit the Pats too.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
Ben Grubbs to Kansas City for 2015 5th round.

iSparky

Browner to the Saints confirmed. 3 year deal apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.