NFL 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I'm talking strictly based on last year's form. Smith won the ratings game and threw for less picks than anyone else, which counts for a lot.
Stats are often misleading - why can't you grasp that?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
But its one year. Its way too small of a sample size.
Not really. A way too small of a sample size would be a couple of games. If he can keep it up for a protracted period over an entire season then that is more than enough to compare and contrast with other QBs. At the end of the day its a 'what have you done for me lately' world.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Not really. A way too small of a sample size would be a couple of games. If he can keep it up for a protracted period over an entire season then that is more than enough to compare and contrast with other QBs. At the end of the day its a 'what have you done for me lately' world.
But what did Smith do for the Chiefs other than having the lowest interception rate in the league? Its not like they are in the SB with the Pats.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
But what did Smith do for the Chiefs other than having the lowest interception rate in the league? Its not like they are in the SB with the Pats.
Its not up to him to single handedly carry the Chiefs to the SB. Ultimately it takes a team effort on both sides of the ball. Russell Wilson, Rivers, Big Ben and others also had good years and didn't make it.

RDCR07

Its not up to him to single handedly carry the Chiefs to the SB. Ultimately it takes a team effort on both sides of the ball. Russell Wilson, Rivers, Big Ben and others also had good years and didn't make it.
Every point I make, you can circumventing and bringing up a completely different point. I thought we were only talking about the season Smith had?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Every point I make, you can circumventing and bringing up a completely different point. I thought we were only talking about the season Smith had?
We are. You just made a pretty illogical point that he can't be that good because the Chiefs aren't in the SuperBowl, so I provided you with a bit of context that others have also have good years (some already past SB winners). Its not on the QB to singlehandly lead the team to the SB. Its an overall team and coaching effort.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
We are. You just made a pretty illogical point that he can't be that good because the Chiefs aren't in the SuperBowl, so I provided you with a bit of context that others have also have good years (some already past SB winners). Its not on the QB to singlehandly lead the team to the SB. Its an overall team and coaching effort.
That's not what he said at all.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
No idea what happened to my post last night...

I said Cleveland will sign Cousins. They're many millions under the cap and with that much space they can throw a big deal at Cousins and solve their QB woes quickly. Then draft Barkley and a top tier defensive player. Things may turn around quickly.

RDCR07

No idea what happened to my post last night...

I said Cleveland will sign Cousins. They're many millions under the cap and with that much space they can throw a big deal at Cousins and solve their QB woes quickly. Then draft Barkley and a top tier defensive player. Things may turn around quickly.
He is very close to signing with Denver today. Browns offered Smith a contract as well but not as much as Washington did.

MrMarcello

He is very close to signing with Denver today. Browns offered Smith a contract as well but not as much as Washington did.
Free agency hasn't began, and doesn't until March. Smith wasn't a free agent so Cleveland couldn't offer him squat unless KC was willing to trade him to Cleveland and talks were ongoing.

MrMarcello

Cousins alone wont make Denver a SB team. They need to revamp that offensive line. If you give Cousins time, then he can be really good.
And Cousins would crunch their cap considerably making it tougher to build up the OL (unless they luck out like Dallas and find some great players in consecutive drafts).

RDCR07

Free agency hasn't began, and doesn't until March. Smith wasn't a free agent so Cleveland couldn't offer him squat unless KC was willing to trade him to Cleveland and talks were ongoing.
My mistake. They tried to TRADE for Smith.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
A point on the Smith Cousins debate. Cousins has never had a great running game so has to throw all the time. The Chiefs have been a running team with Charles and now Hunt. Etc.

How do we know that Smith can’t throw as much as Cousins and be better if in an offence that asks that of him?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In theory, the vikings make the most sense for Cousins, they have the best supporting cast and probably the best defense out of the potential candidates. They also have enough cap to sign him without making lots of changes.

Nikhil

Alex Smith to Redskins. Is Mahomes good enough to be KC's starting QB? Haven't seen him play at all.

By the way, the wages in the NFL are extraordinary. I get that NFL players have short careers, but God, the money is brilliant.

gormless

Alex Smith to Redskins. Is Mahomes good enough to be KC's starting QB? Haven't seen him play at all.

By the way, the wages in the NFL are extraordinary. I get that NFL players have short careers, but God, the money is brilliant.
It's not really. Other sports have guaranteed contracts. Players in the NFL sign contracts with huge figures, but chances are they aren't gonna actually see that money

JPRouve

Scout

It depends a lot on your position and your draft ranking, plenty of players earn relatively little on their rookie contracts. Though being a QB, OT or CB is indeed very lucrative.

mav_9me

A point on the Smith Cousins debate. Cousins has never had a great running game so has to throw all the time. The Chiefs have been a running team with Charles and now Hunt. Etc.

How do we know that Smith can’t throw as much as Cousins and be better if in an offence that asks that of him?
Maybe they didn't ask him to throw a lot cuz they know he is not that good when consistently asked to be a big passer? Just saying.

Didn't they not have any running game and were exclusively throwing in the second half of their playoff loss this year?

JPRouve

Scout
Maybe they didn't ask him to throw a lot cuz they know he is not that good when consistently asked to be a big passer? Just saying.

Didn't they not have any running game and were exclusively throwing in the second half of their playoff loss this year?
IIRC, they were offensively terrible when teams started to force Smith to throw the ball. According to Chiefs fans, he is too cautious.

RDCR07

Is Mahomes good enough to be KC's starting QB? Haven't seen him play at all.

Yes he can be. The kid is talented. No doubt about it. Its also good that they decided to go with him and make it clear he was their QB this early. This gives him plenty of time to be ready and prepare to be a starting QB.

RoadTrip

Yeah, maybe. But maybe they don’t make him throw lots each game because like other teams in the NFL they are overly focussed on balance and building from a running game? Just saying.

Point being both are valid arguments and both could be true. There’s no point in being sarcastic ...

KC rated Mahomes as a better option than Smith long term. Washington rated Smith better than Cousins. Everyone had different opinions.

I am certainly interested to see who out of Cousins or Smith can actually take the next step next season. If either.

RoadTrip

Yes he can be. The kid is talented. No doubt about it. Its also good that they decided to go with him and make it clear he was their QB this early. This gives him plenty of time to be ready and prepare to be a starting QB.
Agree that it’s definitely clever to do this now than right before the draft as is the case with many other FA deals which happen in the intervening period between new season and draft.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, maybe. But maybe they don’t make him throw lots each game because like other teams in the NFL they are overly focussed on balance and building from a running game? Just saying.

Point being both are valid arguments and both could be true. There’s no point in being sarcastic ...

KC rated Mahomes as a better option than Smith long term. Washington rated Smith better than Cousins. Everyone had different opinions.

I am certainly interested to see who out of Cousins or Smith can actually take the next step next season. If either.
Fair enough, but if someone argues that Smith will take this Redskins roster to the next level (while Cousins couldn't), it's pushing things too far imo. One can chose Smith over Cousins, but he's just NOT going to push them to a "deep-playoff-run level" kind of level, especially in a strong division (I know AFC West was great too but the Chiefs were better all around than Washington and better coached).

We'll see who's right on this deal in less than a year time, and it's not like they're overpaying for Smith imo, but nah, they will just keep their level or be slightly better/worse off, but can't see them making the playoffs next year.

mav_9me

I was most definitely not sarcastic. I don't know enough about American football to be sarcastic. I was just throwing it out there.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Anyone with more than two brain cells can see Cousins is a much better qb. Even if he is a "gunslinger".

RoadTrip

Fair enough, but if someone argues that Smith will take this Redskins roster to the next level (while Cousins couldn't), it's pushing things too far imo. One can chose Smith over Cousins, but he's just NOT going to push them to a "deep-playoff-run level" kind of level, especially in a strong division (I know AFC West was great too but the Chiefs were better all around than Washington and better coached).

We'll see who's right on this deal in less than a year time, and it's not like they're overpaying for Smith imo, but nah, they will just keep their level or be slightly better/worse off, but can't see them making the playoffs next year.
Could well be true. In fact I agree tbh. But getting Smith means less cap on the Qb and maybe they can actually build something around Smith.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Cousins is easily the better QB for me. I’m actually surprised there is even a discussion about that.

MrMarcello

Anyone with more than two brain cells can see Cousins is a much better qb. Even if he is a "gunslinger".
It's seemingly obvious this was a move based on money and a failed relationship, not a move based on an organization thinking this other QB will take them a level above (not that I rate Cousins that high anyhow). They did make a quick move to shore up the inevitable by acquiring a competent QB, one that will be able to make plays with his feet and not commit turnovers frequently unlike the former, but now negates the vertical threat and a passer that can literally win them games like the former.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Average NFL salary is just under 2m. Average baseball is 4m and NBA is over 6m.

Status
Not open for further replies.