NFL 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
No travel restrictions on traveling from the US to the UK except for self-isolation at the moment and as owners they of course can watch any game they'd like in the stadium.
For all the sticks you can pick to beat your owners with, you're really gonna go with "they refused to travel to Manchester during a global pandemic"?

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I must say though, that I do think Mahomes and the whole Chiefs O coordination for that matter did lose their heads. Yes the Bucs D was great and Mahomes was running for his life, but the truth is I got the impression that the Chiefs were blindsided by how deep the Tampa safeties were playing and just didn’t have a response. The way the Bucs D shaped up, they could and should have been able to connect on short quick routes. Not taking anything away from how well the Bucs D played at all, but I think it’d be amiss to ignore that the Chiefs didn’t adjust well at all. I know the o-line was awful and that’s a factor too, but it just felt like they kept setting Mahomes up for failure with their play calling when it was clear that he just wasn’t going to connect with anyone deep.
Yeah, fair point:

SwedishFish

For all the sticks you can pick to beat your owners with, you're really gonna go with "they refused to travel to Manchester during a global pandemic"?
The lack of interest they show in Manchester United is astounding. Global pandemic or not, it doesn't exactly seem to bother them too much when they are celebrating the Super Bowl with 25.000+ fans in the stadium. To compare that with occasionally turning up for the team that they own in an empty stadium isn't too much to ask. It shows the disinterest of their ownership.

SwedishFish

Mahomes did well under the circumstances, he threw some good passes and was unlucky with a few drops from his teammates.
He had no protection what so ever and was relentlessly attacked by the Buccs aggressive defense. I think the poor offensive line is to blame more than Mahomes in this game.

As the hope of a win started to slip away you could tell his head dropped big time and the morale was sucked out of him. Still tried his best and I've no doubts that bar any serious injuries this definitely won't be the last time he's at this stage in his career.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Watched the game last night with a couple of friends.

Tampa’s defence/blitz was incredible it seems. I feel sorry for Mahomes but his head dropped very early. Maybe he knew with his injury he was fecked.

I know I’m not a seasoned poster in this thread, but once again 7 Rings for Brady. Absolutely mental. Defence certainly deserve most of credit. Gronk was class too. Love that manchild.

Could someone educate me as to why the talk of Brady/GOAT is frowned upon here? Genuinely curious. If it’s the point that he gets over-attention and is labelled the reason for winning so much, then I understand. But surely even taking away all that - the man is still the GOAT.
Good post and spot on.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I must say though, that I do think Mahomes and the whole Chiefs O coordination for that matter did lose their heads. Yes the Bucs D was great and Mahomes was running for his life, but the truth is I got the impression that the Chiefs were blindsided by how deep the Tampa safeties were playing and just didn’t have a response. The way the Bucs D shaped up, they could and should have been able to connect on short quick routes. Not taking anything away from how well the Bucs D played at all, but I think it’d be amiss to ignore that the Chiefs didn’t adjust well at all. I know the o-line was awful and that’s a factor too, but it just felt like they kept setting Mahomes up for failure with their play calling when it was clear that he just wasn’t going to connect with anyone deep.
There was a sequence when they kept hitting Kelce underneath for 8-12 yards & I thought that would open up the deep ball to Hill but Tampa just kept shutting them down. I’m surprised they didn’t try more short plays or screen plays just to get something going on offense. The constant pressure on Mahomes was superb though. I can’t think of any pass where he had a clean pocket & didn’t have to go dancing around trying to buy time.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Agreed. Its one of the main reasons the Chiefs weren't able to get into a rhythm on offense. When you're being overwhelmed at the LoS you call plays to alleviate the pressure - screens, bubble screens, short passes to RBs and TEs etc. Mahomes was never going to out scramble the likes of Barrett, JPP, Suh, and others and improvise his way to success. Bowles simply out-coached Reid and Bieniemy, which is frankly amazing given that they had the foresight of seeing what the Bucs D did to Rodgers two weeks earlier when Barrett and JPP alone got 5 sacks against a Packers OL who didn't have the luxury using injuries as an excuse for their QB getting battered.

SwedishFish

Tampa’s defence/blitz was incredible it seems. I feel sorry for Mahomes but his head dropped very early. Maybe he knew with his injury he was fecked.

I know I’m not a seasoned poster in this thread, but once again 7 Rings for Brady. Absolutely mental. Defence certainly deserve most of credit. Gronk was class too. Love that manchild.

Could someone educate me as to why the talk of Brady/GOAT is frowned upon here? Genuinely curious. If it’s the point that he gets over-attention and is labelled the reason for winning so much, then I understand. But surely even taking away all that - the man is still the GOAT.
Agree with this.

Think people just tend to hate anyone who wins too much, it's just one of those things. We build idols and tear them down.

I actually have more sympathy for Brady in this particular instance. He was the underdog for almost the entire journey. Fitting that he proves the worth of his legacy in this way.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
No travel restrictions on traveling from the US to the UK except for self-isolation at the moment and as owners they of course can watch any game they'd like in the stadium.
Why on earth would they force themselves into having to quarantine for 3-4 weeks to travel to attend in an empty stadium? Not to mentioned the entirely unnecessary and irresponsible risk involved. There’s plenty of legitimate reasons to criticise them without resorting to this, in fact it would have been more worthy of criticism if they HAD travelled during the pandemic just to watch a game.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The Bucs are one of the very best run defenses in the league, the Chiefs are an average/below average rushing offense, a team like the Bucs should have no respect for the Chiefs running game and were never going to stack the box unless the Chiefs forces them too do so which had for consequences the two deep safeties and constant bracketing of Hill and Kelce.
The entire game can be resumed to one thing, the Chiefs strength, pass protection, wasn't a strength due to the fact that most of their line was made of backups with some of them being out of position and their weakness remained their weakness.

JPRouve

Scout
Why on earth would they force themselves into having to quarantine for 3-4 weeks to travel to attend in an empty stadium? Not to mentioned the entirely unnecessary and irresponsible risk involved. There’s plenty of legitimate reasons to criticise them without resorting to this, in fact it would have been more worthy of criticism if they HAD travelled during the pandemic just to watch a game.
Even without a pandemic, why would anyone compare a random football game with the Super Bowl?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Brady, Gronk, Arians all returning next season with a few key pieces of that defense a year older and more mature. They're gonna be close again next season.

The best moment all game was probably Winfield's taunting penalty on Hill. 100% deserved that and I would've given up 50 penalty yards at that stage to be able to do that to the cnut.

Mad respect for Mahomes though, he actually quite won me over last night. I just love a good underdog so I'm sure it'll change very soon again but the way he kept playing with his O-line getting battered, nothing but respect for that. Heart of a warrior.

RIP David Carr

MrMarcello

Worst Superbowl of all time. Last night's game was far better in every way.

Bucs were superb and executed their game plan or perfectly while Chiefs were just outclassed and paid the price for their arrogance.
In modern day for sure. I imagine a handful of those matchups pre-1985 were horrendous aesthetically. Thinking of that 14-7 Dolphins/Indigenous Persons game in 72 at the top of the list. It was terrible from what bits I've seen. The 16-6 Steelers/Vikings game a few years later was probably horrible as well.

MrMarcello

Load of crap. They were without most of their starting O-line: not an excuse but a simple fact. They also didn't lose their discipline at all? They were simply overrun by the Bucs D-line. They committed a few (questionable) penalties but that didn't lose them the game, their inability to give Mahomes a few seconds did.

And did you call with Reid or Mahomes or were you inside their dressing room? Because there is no evidence at all that they thought "they had it in the bag", and I very much doubt that was the case with Brady being on the other side. No professional athlete or team approached a Super Bowl like that.
Nah, some of those great Cowboys (95) and 49ers (89 & 94) sides waltzed into SBs knowing they were winning. Bears did in 85 as well.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Don’t really think it’s fair to suggest they should be coming to games tbh.

Sara125

So guys I’ve got a quick question. How come Tom Brady is still playing at 43? Is this common or is he an exception? I’m asking because surely American football is much more physically demanding than normal football, yet most outfield players in normal football usually retire in their mid to late 30s.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
So guys I’ve got a quick question. How come Tom Brady is still playing at 43? Is this common or is he an exception? I’m asking because surely American football is much more physically demanding than normal football, yet most outfield players in normal football usually retire in their late 30s.
An exception. At least, an exception to be playing at that age and still be successful. But just an exception overall too.

JPRouve

Scout
So guys I’ve got a quick question. How come Tom Brady is still playing at 43? Is this common or is he an exception? I’m asking because surely American football is much more physically demanding than normal football, yet most outfield players in normal football usually retire in their mid to late 30s.
It's an exception but it's important to remember that Brady had no athleticism to lose in the first place, his talent is entirely in his ability to understand the game way better than even the other top QBs and also be a great leader. Here you can see Brady at his physical peak:

Last edited:

Sara125

It's an exception but it's important to remember that Brady had athleticism to loose in the first place, his talent is entirely in his ability to understand the game way better than even the other top QBs and also be a great leader. Here you can see Brady at his physical peak:

Ohh okay thanks! Interesting to know that he relies on his reading of the game more than physicality. I thought maybe he was some athletic powerhouse like Ronaldo :lol:

MrMarcello

Ohh okay thanks! Interesting to know that he relies on his reading of the game more than physicality. I thought maybe he was some athletic powerhouse like Ronaldo :lol:
He's a freak when it comes to his diet and regiment, much like Ronaldo though without the physical genetics Ronaldo possesses.

https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/a19535249/tom-brady-reveals-insane-diet-in-new-book/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...43-year-old-super-bowl-champion-for-one-week/

Ladron de redcafe

He is the greatest ever. It's hardly disputable at this point. He joined a franchise that hadn't reached the playoffs in 13 years and immediately propelled them to the championship, at the age of 43.

3 touchdowns today and he was measured and on-point all night long.

Ladron de redcafe

Mahomes tried but it wasn't there for him and as Romo says he will have to win at least 8 rings now if he wants to be mentioned alongside Brady
I think so as well. The head to head is in Brady's favor, and for Mahomes, the fact that a 43 year old just beat him in his first year with a team that hadn't even reached the playoffs in ages, is enormous.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
MVP: Russell Wilson
OPOTY: Davante Adams
DPOTY: Nick Bosa
OROY: Clyde Edwards-Helaire
DROY: Isaiah Simmons
CPOTY: Alex Smith
COTY: Pete Carroll

NFC North: Packers
NFC East: Cowboys
NFC South: Saints
NFC West: Seahawks
Wild card I: Falcons
Wild card II: 49ers
Wild card III: Bucs

AFC North:
Ravens
AFC East: Bills
AFC South: Titans

AFC West: Chiefs
Wild card I: Browns

Wild card II: Steelers
Wild card III: Raiders

NFC Championship game: Seahawks vs Packers
AFC Championship game: Chiefs
vs Ravens

Super Bowl LIII: Ravens over Seahawks

Super Bowl LII MVP: DK Metcalf :cool:
The bright side is that my predictions next season can't really be that much worse.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
We build idols and tear them down.
Sounds like @altodevil
It's an exception but it's important to remember that Brady had no athleticism to lose in the first place, his talent is entirely in his ability to understand the game way better than even the other top QBs and also be a great leader. Here you can see Brady at his physical peak:

:lol: Always makes me laugh

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
I think so as well. The head to head is in Brady's favor, and for Mahomes, the fact that a 43 year old just beat him in his first year with a team that hadn't even reached the playoffs in ages, is enormous.
How does it make sense to rank QBs on the basis of head-to-head match-ups? Mahomes and Brady have only ever played each other twice in the post-season and boiling down the result solely down to the relative performance of the QBs does a major disservice to the other 52 players on each roster plus the coaching staffs. I find it hard to argue that New England beat Kansas City in January 2019 solely because Brady was better than Mahomes; the truth is that the final outcome is a result of many factors, of which the relative performance of the QBs is a significant but not necessarily decisive part. Similarly, how does it make sense to pin down last night exclusively as a QB battle when Tampa Bay were much the better team in all phases of the game? Reducing the game down to a Brady-Mahomes contest ignores the Chiefs missing key starters on OL, the Bucs blitzing a lot, lot less than usual, the Bucs playing a lot more two-high looks than usual, and the Bucs using a lot more Play-Action than usual on offense.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
How does it make sense to rank QBs on the basis of head-to-head match-ups? Mahomes and Brady have only ever played each other twice in the post-season and boiling down the result solely down to the relative performance of the QBs does a major disservice to the other 52 players on each roster plus the coaching staffs. I find it hard to argue that New England beat Kansas City in January 2019 solely because Brady was better than Mahomes; the truth is that the final outcome is a result of many factors, of which the relative performance of the QBs is a significant but not necessarily decisive part. Similarly, how does it make sense to pin down last night exclusively as a QB battle when Tampa Bay were much the better team in all phases of the game? Reducing the game down to a Brady-Mahomes contest ignores the Chiefs missing key starters on OL, the Bucs blitzing a lot, lot less than usual, the Bucs playing a lot more two-high looks than usual, and the Bucs using a lot more Play-Action than usual on offense.
If that coin flip went the Chiefs way, Brady might've never even gotten the ball and the whole narrative would make a U-turn. Indeed doesn't make any sense to reduce it to Brady vs Mahomes.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Really incredible how this Bucs D held the Chiefs offense to without a TD. Doubt it's ever happened since Mahomes has been there. Will be a long time if it ever happens again.

Decimated o-line with people playing outta position plus Mahomes not being fully healthy obviously contributed to the result.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
If that coin flip went the Chiefs way, Brady might've never even gotten the ball and the whole narrative would make a U-turn. Indeed doesn't make any sense to reduce it to Brady vs Mahomes.
Yeah, I think people correctly understand that QB is by far and away the most important position but then end up taking the argument to absurd levels by implying that QB is the only position that matters. There are far too many moving parts in the sport outside of the QB's control which ultimately determine the success of the team as a whole. The truth is more likely that you can't consistently win in the post-season without an elite QB but just because you have an elite QB doesn't mean that you are going to consistently win in the post-season.

MrMarcello

Wonder what the Chiefs outlook is going forward when Mahomes cap numbers start meaning less supporting talent. Gotta fix the OL and shore up the defense, that ain't cheap bar hitting on some gems in the draft and/or finding bargain free agents who have career years.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Second highest total was also Pat in the loss to Vegas.

We pin this on a bad o-line and yes that’s the fundamental issue. But the reason he ended up running so much is ALSO because the Chiefs failed to adapt their game plan. It was clear Mahomes had rightly lost all faith in having a pocket, and I can’t remember therefore many plays where he dropped back and even gave throwing from the pocket a chance. He immediately ran, largely due to rushers swarming so quickly. But, the Chiefs never adapted to do something different to get it out quick. It was almost like “it’s Mahomes, it’ll eventually pay off if we just keep doing it”. Some of the blame is on them too. Which feels so odd to say because the ingenuity of the Chiefs offence has been special all year.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Wonder what the Chiefs outlook is going forward when Mahomes cap numbers start meaning less supporting talent. Gotta fix the OL and shore up the defense, that ain't cheap bar hitting on some gems in the draft and/or finding bargain free agents who have career years.
The OL situation is going to take care of itself once the two COVID opt outs and. two injured guys return. They should be at full strength next season.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We pin this on a bad o-line and yes that’s the fundamental issue. But the reason he ended up running so much is ALSO because the Chiefs failed to adapt their game plan. It was clear Mahomes had rightly lost all faith in having a pocket, and I can’t remember therefore many plays where he dropped back and even gave throwing from the pocket a chance. He immediately ran, largely due to rushers swarming so quickly. But, the Chiefs never adapted to do something different to get it out quick. It was almost like “it’s Mahomes, it’ll eventually pay off if we just keep doing it”. Some of the blame is on them too. Which feels so odd to say because the ingenuity of the Chiefs offence has been special all year.
That's what's so confounding about last night. They knew they were weak on OL and also knew the Bucs D was peaking coming into the game, and yet didn't adapt their own game plan to mitigate weaknesses. The ball should've been out of his hands in 2 (no more than 3) seconds on each snap.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
the glazers bottled it. they got their head down and were too arrogant and just bottled it. don't make excuses

Sylar

Brady, Gronk, Arians all returning next season with a few key pieces of that defense a year older and more mature. They're gonna be close again next season.

The best moment all game was probably Winfield's taunting penalty on Hill. 100% deserved that and I would've given up 50 penalty yards at that stage to be able to do that to the cnut.

Mad respect for Mahomes though, he actually quite won me over last night. I just love a good underdog so I'm sure it'll change very soon again but the way he kept playing with his O-line getting battered, nothing but respect for that. Heart of a warrior.
Yeah agree with this. United making CL again should help the Glazers fund another Superbowl run.

Brady played well last night. However his last two Superbowl wins his defense has conceded single digit points. You'd struggle to find any quarterback in the top 20 or so that could lose in those conditions.
im so jealous of this. Wish Packers would sort out their D. It always starts the season with, yeah thats a playoff team but not a superbowl team, then the hype and Rodgers takes over, and then the eventual disappointment
Think anyone who still thinks Brady isn't GOAT is just blinkered and biased
Cant have been a dispute since like 2 rings ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.