NFL 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Agreed & I think there will be more players holding out going forward, backing themselves to get paid eventually rather than risk injury & end up with little. The threat of holdout was the only way Zeke got his contract & in hindsight, maybe Dak shouldn’t have been so professional with his conduct.
Agree. The tag in itself is very confusing to me. No idea why the players put up with it.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Sure. But that doesn’t change anything about the risk involved in playing under the tag.
It depends on the position. What happened to Dak was rare, and he will make it back in Dallas or wherever. If I’m a RB instead of a QB it’s a different story.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Sure. But that doesn’t change anything about the risk involved in playing under the tag.
Players know that though, and it's not like the Cowboys offered him nothing. Don't get me wrong it absolutely sucks and I was gutted for Dak yesterday, but he knew he was betting on himself this year and that this was a potential outcome. We all love it when a player does that and it works out, but this is just a reality in the NFL that any play can be your last, players know that too.

He's "lucky" in a way that it seems to be a straightforward injury which he will fully recover from. He'll probably be fine by the start of next season and will still get paid eventually.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
They are forcing the passing game, never more evident than this week. They were running pretty well on the Bengals (Lamar aside) when they wanted to, but spent most of the game trying to get Lamar into a passing rhythm. Lamar is clearly injured, exceptionally reluctant to pull the ball down and run and his mechanics are all over the place, when he did run he looked like he had concrete shoes on. Lamar missed practise last week when a knee injury and sickness, he also had a groin strain in training camp.

Yesterday the Ravens defense absolutely trucked Burrow. The Ravens offense failed to really get started. None of it is helped by the Oline looking patchwork, but Lamar is definitely not 100%>
Yeah those were my thoughts too, but you have a bye after next week so still think he'll be fine going forward.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Whats most likely for Dak and Dallas now then?

Say he has no complications and he should be good to go for the start of next season. Would Dallas:

1. Tag him again, at the cost of approx $35mil
  2. Still look to tie him down to a long term deal, around the value he was looking for this year
  3. Move him on
  4. Offer him a "prove yourself" lowball deal

Curious to know what precedent is here for this kind of thing.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Or maybe he should have lowered his expectations, he could have had a 5 year contract. Take it or leave it. He did not take it.
If he was being offered less money than Goff/Wentz then maybe he was right to reject. If he wanted Mahomes money, then I think that’s a bit foolish & he took the risk backing himself without a long term deal.

Obviously, now it’s easy to say he should have taken the deal but it really depends on what he values himself as and what Dallas were offering.

Carl

2 is out of question now.
Surely a tag is out of the question for Dak though? Another season on the tag leaves him 29yrs old looking for his big money contract. I like Dak, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of QB to continue to get better as he goes beyond 30.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Whats most likely for Dak and Dallas now then?

Say he has no complications and he should be good to go for the start of next season. Would Dallas:

1. Tag him again, at the cost of approx $35mil
  2. Still look to tie him down to a long term deal, around the value he was looking for this year
  3. Move him on
  4. Offer him a "prove yourself" lowball deal

Curious to know what precedent is here for this kind of thing.
Brees had his shoulder injury when player under the franchise tag if I'm not mistaken, but he left for the Saints after that.

There's not much Dak can do if he's tagged again though, apart from holding out. If they don't tag him, he'll get paid handsomely in free agency. Maybe not what he would have gotten after a 5,000 yard season this year but still a top contract in the market, probably around what the likes of Watson earn right now.

I don't think there's any way the Cowboys suddenly cave and pay him the money they didn't want to pay him this offseason in the first place. He won't sign any lowball or short-term deal.

So that leaves him with another franchise tag or on the free agency market imo.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Surely a tag is out of the question for Dak though? Another season on the tag leaves him 29yrs old looking for his big money contract. I like Dak, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of QB to continue to get better as he goes beyond 30.
That would mean, missing two seasons of football, almost. I don‘t think he can afford to do that.

Carl

Brees had his shoulder injury when player under the franchise tag if I'm not mistaken, but he left for the Saints after that.

There's not much Dak can do if he's tagged again though, apart from holding out. If they don't tag him, he'll get paid handsomely in free agency. Maybe not what he would have gotten after a 5,000 yard season this year but still a top contract in the market, probably around what the likes of Watson earn right now.

I don't think there's any way the Cowboys suddenly cave and pay him the money they didn't want to pay him this offseason in the first place. He won't sign any lowball or short-term deal.

So that leaves him with another franchise tag or on the free agency market imo.
A tag sounds so risky though, for Dak. Say he comes back on the tag and suffers a number of ankle injuries throughout. How many teams would pay him big on free agency then?

I think this changes everything for Dallas now, and expect us to either draft a new starting QB or look to trade for one. Or, y'know, Dalton...

Carl

That would mean, missing two seasons of football, almost. I don‘t think he can afford to do that.
I wonder if Dallas would even want to pay him circa 35million dollars next season coming off the back of this injury..

Either way, I think we draft a QB now. Either to start or spend a year backing up Prescott.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
A tag sounds so risky though, for Dak. Say he comes back on the tag and suffers a number of ankle injuries throughout. How many teams would pay him big on free agency then?

I think this changes everything for Dallas now, and expect us to either draft a new starting QB or look to trade for one. Or, y'know, Dalton...
A tag followed by a contract is the most probable outcome. I don’t think this changes anything other than him getting a contract one year later than we thought. They already have the best backup QB in the league so Jerry has leverage, but still they can’t let a potential franchise QB walk.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Disagree completely about the straightforward injury part , a lot of players are never really able to recover completely specially from the mental aspect . Gordon Hayward had a similar injury and has never been the same since . I would be shocked if he is anywhere near his best next season

Carl

Disagree completely about the straightforward injury part , a lot of players are never really able to recover completely specially from the mental aspect . Gordon Hayward had a similar injury and has never been the same since . I would be shocked if he is anywhere near his best next season
Not sure anyone has said it will be a straightforward recovery.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Players know that though, and it's not like the Cowboys offered him nothing. Don't get me wrong it absolutely sucks and I was gutted for Dak yesterday, but he knew he was betting on himself this year and that this was a potential outcome. We all love it when a player does that and it works out, but this is just a reality in the NFL that any play can be your last, players know that too.

He's "lucky" in a way that it seems to be a straightforward injury which he will fully recover from. He'll probably be fine by the start of next season and will still get paid eventually.

I was replying to that one,sorry somehow ended up missing the quote

Carl

Aye, we can just never know what complications he could run into post surgery or how he'll be mentally. My perception of Dak though is that he's really mentally strong, so if anyone is able to shake that off then I think he's the right character. But yeh, this is why I think its changed everything now though. I dont ever see Dak getting a long deal in Dallas now, whereas I always thought he'd end up getting paid previously.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
It was a “clean” break apparently and the estimated timeline is a 4-6 month recovery. Of course you can have complications during rehab, but it looked a lot nastier than it probably is if the medical reports are to believed. I don’t think this is anywhere near career-threatening, but stating the obvious I’m not a medic and am just basing myself off of reports.

mav_9me

I am no expert but some of those throws by Brees are abysmal. How many completions does he even have?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Out of all these elder statesmen at QB trying to nab one last SB, I like Big Ben’s chances the most by far. I don‘t trust Brees or Rivers throwing it, and Tommy Boy can’t keep track of what down it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.