Supports
Liverpool

Baker Mayfield covid infections with OBJ in the line-up: 0
Baker Mayfield covid infections since OBJ left: 1

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

Baker Mayfield covid infections with OBJ in the line-up: 0
Baker Mayfield covid infections since OBJ left: 1
If the Rams ever play the Browns with Mayfield and OBJ in their teams, the Rams should cheese and play OBJ at CB as he probably would have a better chance of catching passes from Mayfield than when he was at the Browns!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Plus I think there is still this “I am part of a cool niche elite who understand the NFL and don’t just think it’s Rugby” mentality which unites us as fans of the sport rather than just fans of our teams.
This is true. If I sense someone is really into the NFL I immediately make the assumption that you at least have the capacity to interpret advanced and adjusted stats which already makes me think higher of you than the average football-minded Englishman who downs 20 pints* before a 3pm game and is in the stands in December without a fecking shirt on.

* Which of course is impressive in its own right and nothing to be scoffed at, don't get me wrong.
This reminds me of when we went to see the Broncos play at Mile High. We got in the Uber heading downtown earlier in the day and we’ve obviously got jerseys on etc.

Guy hears my accent and you could immediately tell he’d written us off as day-tripping tourists who know nothing, until I started talking his ear off about the players we’d drafted that year and how exciting the roster was but Vance Joseph seemed like a bluffer and the Chiefs were looking unbeatable and the speed they had on offence was scary blah blah blah.

By the time we got out of the car it was like we were best mates :lol:

Charlie Foley

Who the F are you? Was I even talking to you? Who do you support anyway? Oh the 49ers? Oh look at me, I support the 49ers and I love numbers. Pythagoras fanboy

Ok I’ll stop now please don’t thread ban me :lol:
I do love numbers but I have no idea how you knew that :lol:

RoadTrip

This reminds me of when we went to see the Broncos play at Mile High. We got in the Uber heading downtown earlier in the day and we’ve obviously got jerseys on etc.

Guy hears my accent and you could immediately tell he’d written us off as day-tripping tourists who know nothing, until I started talking his ear off about the players we’d drafted that year and how exciting the roster was but Vance Joseph seemed like a bluffer and the Chiefs were looking unbeatable and the speed they had on offence was scary blah blah blah.

By the time we got out of the car it was like we were best mates :lol:
I had a similar experience for one of the games I went to see - Pats @ Jets. The Jets guys I was sitting next to were amazed I knew why the Jets were shit :lol:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I kind of hate it already.

It's a film based on a brief period in Sean Payton's life when he was banned from coaching.

I didn't watch it, but I saw that it's Kevin James in the thumbnail, and I was going to make a joke about how I bet Rob Schneider is in it too. But I don't need to, because I checked the cast and he actually is.

Why is Kevin James still in stuff?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
How is it that in the NFL thread everyone is so nice to each other . Are you all good people or just good at pretending to be nice . Need drama like f1 to spice it up
I actually come here to talk about American sports, as the old boards I frequented broke up or became too toxic.

This is the thread for the adults in the room. Speaking of which: we’re going to need to see some ID.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Nah disagree. He sometimes crumbles under pressure which prevents him from getting into elite territory, but he is a good NFL QB nonetheless. Mayfield is below average.

I'd have 10 QBs over Stafford:
Lamar
Allen
Burrow
Mahomes
Herbert
Murray
Prescott
Rodgers
Wilson
Brady

I'd have the likes of Cousins, Carr, Ryan, Tua, Tannehill, Jones, Wentz, ... over Mayfield as well on top of that.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Stafford is miles better than Mayfield. There are "good" QBs, like Stafford, and then there are "very good" QBs, and then there are "elite" QBs. Mayfield would be in that average/below average category IMO.
This goes without saying. Stafford is putting up elite numbers this year - only Brady has more yards (barely) and Rodgers a better rating (again just barely). Mayfield is light years behind these three in all key stat categories.

entropy

Yeah, he is good at padding stats. Which was my point.

@RobinLFC his entire time at Detriot was him being utter shite for most of the game and throwing like crazy when it came to the 4th quarter. That’s not a good qb, just someone good at padding his stats.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
This goes without saying. Stafford is putting up elite numbers this year - only Brady has more yards (barely) and Rodgers a better rating (again just barely). Mayfield is light years behind these three in all key stat categories.
True. Not sure who I would compare him to of past decades. Perhaps a Danny White, or Neil Lomax*, or Drew Bledsoe but with longevity - those three would put up solid numbers in today's era. They were good QBs, great at times but would often crumble, as you say, or make a bad decision too often. It also does not help that Stafford endured many years playing for arguably the worst run club in the league.

*Lomax suffered from an arthritic hip and was forced to retire at age 31 after missing all of 1989 but he was on pace to compile massive passing numbers for that era. He also played for one of the worst run clubs in the league in the 80s - the St Louis Cardinals (who moved to Phoenix in what would be his last playing season, 1988).

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

@RobinLFC his entire time at Detriot was him being a terrible under pressure and throwing like crazy when it came to the 4th quarter.
Then how would you measure or judge him if you disregard passing yards, his QB rating, his 33-9 TD:INT ratio or his 9-4 record?

I'd turn the argument of your last sentence around and say that his entire time in Detroit was him being surrounded by terrible teammates bar one receiver and often times him keeping them close regardless. Before this season he had 31 4th Q comebacks since he came into the league in 2009, trailing only Brady and Big Ben. In 2016 alone he had 8 of those (they went 9-7). Now they've put him in a good team with good supporting cast and good coaching for only one season and he's near the top of the league in every statistical category and team record.

Like I said: not elite but definitely good. Can't even be argued against imo.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

@RobinLFC his entire time at Detriot was him being utter shite for most of the game and throwing like crazy when it came to the 4th quarter. That’s not a good qb, just someone good at padding his stats.
What does that even mean? If a QB is improving his stat line in the 4th quarter then he’s playing well in crunch time.

entropy

Then how would you measure or judge him if you disregard passing yards, his QB rating, his 33-9 TD:INT ratio or his 9-4 record?

I'd turn the argument of your last sentence around and say that his entire time in Detroit was him being surrounded by terrible teammates bar one receiver and often times him keeping them close regardless. Before this season he had 31 4th Q comebacks since he came into the league in 2009, trailing only Brady and Big Ben. In 2016 alone he had 8 of those (they went 9-7). Now they've put him in a good team with good supporting cast and good coaching for only one season and he's near the top of the league in every statistical category and team record.

Like I said: not elite but definitely good. Can't even be argued against imo.
Sean Mcvay doesn’t allow him to throw like he used to when he was in detroit. He has gotten better at managing games. Still sucks under pressure. But him being on an amazing team and better coaching always helps.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Sean Mcvay doesn’t allow him to throw like he used to when he was in detroit. He has gotten better at managing games. Still sucks under pressure. But him being on an amazing team and better coaching always helps.
How do these four unrelated statements advance your argument in any way when stacked up against the actual numbers ?

He's 2nd in passing, 2nd in QB rating in a league that features Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Jackson and others.

Stafford is performing in the upper echelon of all NFL QBs, as well as significantly higher than Goff during their Super Bowl year.

entropy

How do these four unrelated statements advance your argument in any way when stacked up against the actual numbers ?

He's 2nd in passing, 2nd in QB rating in a league that features Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Jackson and others.

Stafford is performing in the upper echelon of all NFL QBs, as well as significantly higher than Goff during their Super Bowl year.
Those stats are similar to stats like yards per carry. Pretty useless.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
@RobinLFC come on he had good weapons while in Detroit. Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones, TJ Hockenson to name a few. I find it hard to blame his teammates tbh.
I know it's not saying much, but A) sucks in NY right now, B) sucks in Jacksonville right now, C) not better off than under Stafford in Detroit right now. Their defense hasn't helped them either and their coaching was atrocious (Jim Caldwell was decent but they made the playoffs under him, the less said about Patricia the better). It wasn't the worst of circumstances in the league, but certainly not a good situation either imo.

RoadTrip

This debate is so bizarre. On the one hand we started off comparing a Stafford to Mayfield which is a joke because Mayfield is nowhere near as good.

And now we are debating if Stafford is elite, which is also a joke because he just isn’t.

Stafford is a top 15 QB, perhaps sneaks in to the top 10. Better than average, but not elite. Overall, very good.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This debate is so bizarre. On the one hand we started off comparing a Stafford to Mayfield which is a joke because Mayfield is nowhere near as good.

And now we are debating if Stafford is elite, which is also a joke because he just isn’t.

Stafford is a top 15 QB, perhaps sneaks in to the top 10. Better than average, but not elite. Overall, very good.
You can only go by the number's he's producing this year, which are top 2 in the league in two key categories.

RoadTrip

You can only go by the number's he's producing this year, which are top 2 in the league in two key categories.
But you don’t ever just go by the numbers. Previous years are important. The eye test is important. Context is important. Sure all of that creates subjectivity, and I get that. So for example if someone had Stafford as say 7-10 in the league I could live with it. If someone said he was 12-16 I could live with it. I have him at 11 so I’m accounting for subjectivity. But elite for me is like top 5. And mayfield is as far down as 20-25 if not lower. So, in my opinion, in very different spectrums to where I have him which is why I find it quite odd.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
But you don’t ever just go by the numbers. Previous years are important. The eye test is important. Context is important. Sure all of that creates subjectivity, and I get that. So for example if someone had Stafford as say 7-10 in the league I could live with it. If someone said he was 12-16 I could live with it. I have him at 11 so I’m accounting for subjectivity. But elite for me is like top 5. And mayfield is as far down as 20-25 if not lower. So, in my opinion, in very different spectrums to where I have him which is why I find it quite odd.
Results are more important than any of these things. Previous years are irrelevant because they're in the past. If anything they are more problematic than helpful because they incentivize people to remain dogmatically brainwashed about a player based on past reputation, irrespective of what they're doing in the present. The eye test is totally subjective which isn't helpful given that a vast majority of people don't have any background in football and wind up believing whatever they want. Stafford is already top 12 all time in yards and TDs and now that he's on a decent team, will probably end up top 5 all time with the possibility of winning a ring or two with the Rams. His stats this year just reinforce that he is in the upper echelon of pro-QBs.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Agree with the entire post except for the bolded part. If you have e.g. Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen and Kyler, that's a (subjective) top 5. No one will convince me that Wilson or Lamar are not a elite QBs (and I guess Herbert and Burrow within this and 2 years as well but maybe then Brady and Rodgers are already gone). Dak is on the verge of that list right now, but I doubt he can ever truly make that next step.

Results are more important than any of these things. Previous years are irrelevant because they're in the past.
Disagree twice. Results are a team's stat so only a part of a QB's evaluation. And previous years of course count when evaluating a player, you can't say a player is elite if he has 10 awful years and one good season. Nick Foles was never elite because he had 5 great games and won a Super Bowl MVP.

Everything needs to be taken into consideration when assessing a QB. Record, accuracy, pocket presence, awareness, decision making, leadership, clutchness, deep balls, ... Everything. You can't say "oh look he threw for 5k yards he's great" because guys like Carr can do that and they are just not great QBs at all.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

So injury proof in Houston, so many nagging injuries in Arizona, shame to see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.