NFL 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Can't believe that we got Devonta Smith and an extra first round pick thanks to throwing that last game

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Don't worry, you will be in love with Bridgewater in no time. Seriously.
The only thing that will make that first pick anything less than moronic will be a trade for Rodgers which seems very unlikely.

I’ve no doubt Surtain is a good player but our secondary is already stacked, he might not even play this year and we desperately need a QB.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Never seen Mac Jones play but the reactions from Pats fans is underwhelming.

I’m just happy we have drafted a QB to challenge Cam. I would assume Jones will be the starter, but got a feeling BB will go with Cam initially before making the switch.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No trade up for Miami then. Apparently there is still a very good RB called Williams left but I know very little about him.

Maybe he will last to 36
Williams, his teammate Michael Carter and Trey Sermon still on the board. Plenty of options for the Fins with either the 36th or 50th picks.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I’m actually OK with the Jones pick because we didn’t need to trade up for it. Whether he succeeds or not who knows but at least we didn’t sell the bank to get him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The only thing that will make that first pick anything less than moronic will be a trade for Rodgers which seems very unlikely.

I’ve no doubt Surtain is a good player but our secondary is already stacked, he might not even play this year and we desperately need a QB.
I read that the Rodgers trade is pretty advanced though. No way they ignore Fields if they didn't have something lined up.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I read that the Rodgers trade is pretty advanced though. No way they ignore Fields if they didn't have something lined up.
This is how i interpreted passing on Fields as well - Elway already has a deal in place and is probably just sorting out the specifics. Otherwise, attempting to go with Bridgewater and Lock, when Fields was available won’t be received well by the fans.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
This is how i interpreted passing on Fields as well - Elway already has a deal in place and is probably just sorting out the specifics. Otherwise, attempting to go with Bridgewater and Lock, when Fields was available won’t be received well by the fans.
It would be completely moronic.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I refuse to get excited, I only see it ending in disappointment.

Carolina Red

Staff
George Paton

(allegedly)

Tiber

Feeling rather conflicted about Miami's Phillips pick after looking into him a bit more.

Very talented. But a history of ankle, wrist and concussion issues - including a retirement?

Miami has taken a chance on a lot of players with injury flags over recent years. Most just end up on IR.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Didn’t pay attention through the night. What’s the latest on Rodgers?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Didn’t pay attention through the night. What’s the latest on Rodgers?
Twitter is abuzz that he wants to leave Green Bay and the Broncos are rumored to be leading contenders to sign him. No official word anywhere, but the fact that the Broncos passed on Justin Fields when he was available to them, seems to suggest there may be something to the Rodgers story.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Feeling rather conflicted about Miami's Phillips pick after looking into him a bit more.

Very talented. But a history of ankle, wrist and concussion issues - including a retirement?

Miami has taken a chance on a lot of players with injury flags over recent years. Most just end up on IR.
Watched all his games last year. No signs of any problems whatsoever. He is a beast.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Twitter is abuzz that he wants to leave Green Bay and the Broncos are rumored to be leading contenders to sign him. No official word anywhere, but the fact that the Broncos passed on Justin Fields when he was available to them, seems to suggest there may be something to the Rodgers story.
The problem is that the only time it would make sense for them to trade him is post June 1st, due to cap management, by that time the Broncos picks won't have much value or at least no more value than any other team in the league. So I'm not convinced by the link to the Broncos, what do they have to offer that would convince the Packers to agree on a trade today/yesterday?

drdoityourself

Its the least I've gotten into the draft for years but the Browns didn't really have major needs or an early pick so it was hard to get excited.
But it was a good night last night. Some borderline unwatchable teams are poised to become very interesting. Of course the Jaguars with Lawrence and then the Bears with Fields. Zach Wilson at Jets is supposed to be fun to watch also. The skill positions in Atlanta and Cincinnati are stacked now and that bodes well for a good season for a Redzone watcher like myself.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The problem is that the only time it would make sense for them to trade him is post June 1st, due to cap management, by that time the Broncos picks won't have much value or at least no more value than any other team in the league. So I'm not convinced by the link to the Broncos, what do they have to offer that would convince the Packers to agree on a trade today/yesterday?
It would make sense for both teams, as well as Rodgers to get a deal done.

The Broncos would get a top QB who could basically set the franchise up to go on another Manning like run at a couple of Super Bowls. They would probably have to give up a few picks and could throw in Bridgewater to sweeten the deal. Rodgers is after all going on 38 with only 3, maybe 4 years top, left in the tank.

The Pack would also benefit from removing Rodgers from the books since he accounts for a $37m cap hit, which gets reduced to $14m if they trade him after 1 June, so if it happens, its more likely to happen then imo.

JPRouve

Scout
It would make sense for both teams, as well as Rodgers to get a deal done.

The Broncos would get a top QB who could basically set the franchise up to go on another Manning like run at a couple of Super Bowls. They would probably have to give up a few picks and could throw in Bridgewater to sweeten the deal. Rodgers is after all going on 38 with only 3, maybe 4 years top, left in the tank.

The Pack would also benefit from removing Rodgers from the books since he accounts for a $37m cap hit, which gets reduced to $14m if they trade him after 1 June, so if it happens, its more likely to happen then imo.

That's why I said that the deal would only make sense post june 1st but it doesn't make sense for the Packers to have a deal agreed now, it makes sense for them to have a bidding war until and maybe even after June 1st because no matter what, they would lose a player that they won't replace adequately this summer. Their focus would be on the future.

It would also make sense for them to wait and see what happens with Wilson and Watson.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I’m convinced Fields likes torturing puppies. Perhaps kicking kittens as well. He also doesn’t call his grandma.

That’s why he dropped.

Tiber

I continue to feel very conflicted on Jaylen Waddle.

The dolphins had a pretty good season last year but desperately needed a WR. We earned the 18th pick and if you told me without context that we found a way to add Jaylen Waddle then I would be absolutely thrilled. Exciting speed WR, may not ideal that he plays a lot in the slot but will make huge plays and has a very good relationship with our QB. His speed alongside Fuller's speed and Parker's ability to catch high balls should be very effective.

However, it's all a bit different with context. We somehow stumbled into the 3rd overall pick and had the choice of any non QB in the entire draft. Including Kyle Pitts imo the best non QB and easily the most exciting pass catcher.

Is Waddle and some vague idea of a player chosen with a 2023 future pick going to be worth more than Pitts? We will have to wait and see but personally I would have bet on Pitts. An O built around Pitts and Gesicki could have been very powerful. As part of the trade up to get Waddle at 6, we also gave up our own pick next year so if 49ers end up being better than us (with Bosa etc back it's possible) then that has an impact on next year's draft aswell

Even beyond Pitts, the trade from 3 to 6 cost us Chase who I personally had above Waddle. Smith is neck and neck with Chase imo and I'd have taken him at 6, Miami disagree and that's fair enough.

I can't help be a bit disappointed. But Waddle is a good player. He would thrive in a team like KC, but last year Miami's idea of an exotic scheme was 2 yard screen passes and throwing it up in the vague direction of Parker. So it's fair to say I do question if our co-OC Dreamteam (in this case mostly Godsey, who was fired after 1 year as Texans OC) will build an exotic playbook around Waddle.

But maybe I'm still just mourning the loss of Pitts. If our 2 Jaylen's stay healthy and fulfil their potential then this will be an epic draft class

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
I’m convinced Fields likes torturing puppies. Perhaps kicking kittens as well. He also doesn’t call his grandma.

That’s why he dropped.
It's going to sound very stupid but he dropped because he is an OSU QB. GMs seems to put a lot of stocks on where certain players come from and the history of the team in particular positions.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It's going to sound very stupid but he dropped because he is an OSU QB. GMs seems to put a lot of stocks on where certain players come from and the history of the team in particular positions.
Paton, Lynch/Shanahan, et al don’t ‘helmet scout’. That’s something fools on reddit do, and maybe the Pittsburgh Steelers.

His slow release is the only football reason I can find to dock him.

lsd

The Oracle
While I'm happy we got Micah Parsons who I think will be a star for us I can't help but wonder would we have paid 160 million to Dak if we knew Fields would be sitting there for us to take?

JPRouve

Scout
Paton, Lynch/Shanahan, et al don’t ‘helmet scout’. That’s something fools on reddit do, and maybe the Pittsburgh Steelers.

His slow release is the only football reason I can find to dock him.
I don't know about that. With the Vikings Paton and Spielman had tendencies.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I don't know about that. With the Vikings Paton and Spielman had tendencies.
There are universities that churn out great players at certain positions, like offensive linemen at Notre Dame or Bama; sure. But no one that is half competent is docking a QB because Dwayne Haskins turned out to have the mental acuity of an 18 year old frat boy.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I continue to feel very conflicted on Jaylen Waddle.

The dolphins had a pretty good season last year but desperately needed a WR. We earned the 18th pick and if you told me without context that we found a way to add Jaylen Waddle then I would be absolutely thrilled. Exciting speed WR, may not ideal that he plays a lot in the slot but will make huge plays and has a very good relationship with our QB. His speed alongside Fuller's speed and Parker's ability to catch high balls should be very effective.

However, it's all a bit different with context. We somehow stumbled into the 3rd overall pick and had the choice of any non QB in the entire draft. Including Kyle Pitts imo the best non QB and easily the most exciting pass catcher.

Is Waddle and some vague idea of a player chosen with a 2023 future pick going to be worth more than Pitts? We will have to wait and see but personally I would have bet on Pitts. An O built around Pitts and Gesicki could have been very powerful. As part of the trade up to get Waddle at 6, we also gave up our own pick next year so if 49ers end up being better than us (with Bosa etc back it's possible) then that has an impact on next year's draft aswell

Even beyond Pitts, the trade from 3 to 6 cost us Chase who I personally had above Waddle. Smith is neck and neck with Chase imo and I'd have taken him at 6, Miami disagree and that's fair enough.

I can't help be a bit disappointed. But Waddle is a good player. He would thrive in a team like KC, but last year Miami's idea of an exotic scheme was 2 yard screen passes and throwing it up in the vague direction of Parker. So it's fair to say I do question if our co-OC Dreamteam (in this case mostly Godsey, who was fired after 1 year as Texans OC) will build an exotic playbook around Waddle.

But maybe I'm still just mourning the loss of Pitts. If our 2 Jaylen's stay healthy and fulfil their potential then this will be an epic draft class
Bottom line - the Fins had a pretty anemic passing game last year and most of their yards were accrued by Fitzpatrick's early success, so Tua is going to need quality weapons to work with - and Waddle is definitely a quality player with game changing potential. If he can be a viable deep threat and special teams returner then that will be good value for a top 10 pick. They need to now use one of their 2nd round picks and go after a decent RB since their current backfield choices are not good enough.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
For what it's worth, Kyle phoned lynch on a Sunday in January and said how much he liked Lance. We traded for 3rd overall the day after Lance's Pro day. It seems this was our plan all along.

JPRouve

Scout
There are universities that churn out great players at certain positions, like offensive linemen at Notre Dame or Bama; sure. But no one that is half competent is docking a QB because Dwayne Haskins turned out to have the mental acuity of an 18 year old frat boy.
And there are universities that don't produce great NFL players at certain positions due to how they use that position and develop/select players.

Also GMs do dumb things every single year.

Tiber

Bottom line - the Fins had a pretty anemic passing game last year and most of their yards were accrued by Fitzpatrick's early success, so Tua is going to need quality weapons to work with - and Waddle is definitely a quality player with game changing potential. If he can be a viable deep threat and special teams returner then that will be good value for a top 10 pick. They need to now use one of their 2nd round picks and go after a decent RB since their current backfield choices are not good enough.
I would have been happy to move on from every WR on our roster last year, including Parker if we got a decent offer. Don't get me wrong I'm delighted to add Waddle to the group. If Fuller actually manages to stay healthy he and Waddle will be brilliant.

It's just the shadow of Kyle Pitts hangs over the pick. It's one thing to not be in a position to draft someone like Pitts, it's Another thing to miss out on him by trading down. I honestly think Miami thought one of Pitts or Chase would be on the board at 6 when they agreed to the trade.

JPRouve

Scout
Like drafting a corner when there’s a highly rated QB available and you’re already loaded in the secondary and desperately need an elite QB?
I wouldn't say that you are loaded at corner because Fuller is a free agent next year while both Darby and Callahan see big increase in their cap numbers in 2022. It actually makes a lot of sense to bring a potential top CB on rookie contract but is it a better idea than a potential franchise QB? I would say no and understand your frustration but keep in mind that you are talking about a rookie, not an elite QB.

In general I would say that drafting a QB, CB or LT is almost never dumb because those positions are expensive and talent is rare. Most teams need to upgrade or maintain these positions every year and can almost always justify the pick.

Tiber

I'm a bit of a mock draft sceptic. But fair play to Todd McShay for getting the first 7 picks right

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I wouldn't say that you are loaded at corner because Fuller is a free agent next year while both Darby and Callahan see big increase in their cap numbers in 2022. It actually makes a lot of sense to bring a potential top CB on rookie contract but is it a better idea than a potential franchise QB? I would say no and understand your frustration but keep in mind that you are talking about a rookie, not an elite QB.

In general I would say that drafting a QB, CB or LT is almost never dumb because those positions are expensive and talent is rare. Most teams need to upgrade or maintain these positions every year and can almost always justify the pick.
That all makes some sense, I’m just frustrated with our QB position yet again.

Tiber

The Eagles getting a first round pick from Miami for the trade down and still ending up with the drafts second best WR is scandalous.

Though im still not convinced they have a QB

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Patriots couldn't have picked a more similar QB to Brady. Overrated Chad carried by elite receiving threats and defense and coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.