NFL 2023

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
That's pretty steep. Think he'd still do great as a DC or something but he hasn't really shown the last few years that he's able to develop young QBs or work with depleted squads.

And he should stay clear of another GM job as hard as he could.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
That's pretty steep. Think he'd still do great as a DC or something but he hasn't really shown the last few years that he's able to develop young QBs or work with depleted squads.

And he should stay clear of another GM job as hard as he could.
It’s hard to draw many conclusions, to be honest. He’s not a progressive coach that much is obvious of course but that doesn’t mean he can’t still be successful. But our roster is so, so bad. There’s been some dubious decisions though at the Pats - such as our bizarre offensive coach setup last year - and it’s hard to judge how much of an influence he had in those, though you’d have to suspect he’s front of centre of that calamity.

It’s odd that he’s still staying on to be honest. Should retire. We are so far away from competing and in no man’s land. But I guess his ego will drive him until he can’t no more after what Brady did in Tampa.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
It’s hard to draw many conclusions, to be honest. He’s not a progressive coach that much is obvious of course but that doesn’t mean he can’t still be successful. But our roster is so, so bad. There’s been some dubious decisions though at the Pats - such as our bizarre offensive coach setup last year - and it’s hard to judge how much of an influence he had in those, though you’d have to suspect he’s front of centre of that calamity.

It’s odd that he’s still staying on to be honest. Should retire. We are so far away from competing and in no man’s land. But I guess his ego will drive him until he can’t no more after what Brady did in Tampa.
That's all well and good but what the feck happened to your username? :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I wondered who the feck RoadTrip was. I thought we had an unwelcome intruder here acting like he knows us :lol:

But it's good old rpitoda. Did you love your time in the US that much bro?

RoadTrip

I wondered who the feck RoadTrip was. I thought we had an unwelcome intruder here acting like he knows us :lol:

But it's good old rpitoda. Did you love your time in the US that much bro?
:lol:

Who is this guy you’re referring to?! I am an intruder :)

Changed for alternative reasons

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Just seen that. Also owners agreed to an international game every 4 years for each team. Not clear though if that’s a home game every 4 years or just to be involved in one. If it’s the former they need 8 a year …
Is your new username an anagram of your old one?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Maybe posting that after getting their arse handed to them by SF and Dallas wasn't the best idea. He's been getting absolutely roasted by Eagles fans

kundalini

Rarely has one opinion told so much about the person who has it. If someone thinks Brock Purdy is the MVP they simply don't know ball and all other opinions can be disregarded.
JT O'Sullivan (a former NFL QB) of QB School did an analysis video of Purdy 3 years ago when he was at Iowa State, long before anyone knew if he would play in the NFL. I've just watched it on Youtube. Brock is doing the same things he does for the 49ers. Throwing with an insane amount of anticipation doesn't just help Aiyuk, McCaffrey, Kittle and Samuel, it allows Iowa State WRs to catch passes when covered. Midway through the video, JT says "He had more anticipation than I can remember watching just about any other college quarterback". Purdy's footwork is also apparent. In hindsight, the scouting failure is breathtaking, because it can't be that Purdy playing for Iowa State is being made to look better than he is by Kyle Shanahan's SF 49ers system. It is obvious now that the scouts didn't appreciate the value of anticipation; too busy looking for tall guys with strong arms and dual threat QBs.

I'm assuming you don't watch QB School videos on Youtube because if you did, you would at least understand how Purdy's skill-set is different to most QBs, making him worthy of MVP consideration, given his stats are MVP level (Purdy is the top QB for completed air yards per pass attempt, 2nd behind CJ Stroud for completed air yards per completion - that's before Deebo and Brandon Aiyuk do their YAC thing. For yards gained per pass attempt he averages 9.9 yards, next best 8.5). If you compare someone like Jalen Hurts to Purdy, they are behaving completely differently. Hurts takes forever to release the ball, he misses reads because he's abandoned the pocket. He then gets credit for making spectacular plays when he could have found his WRs 10 mins earlier; is that heroic or idiotic ?

The strongest case against Brock Purdy as MVP is the point Joy Taylor raised on Speak, that when SF were involved in tight games, team struggling to adjust after injuries to key players, making tons of errors, Purdy was unable to get them the win. Admittedly, the kicker missed a 43 yard field goal in the last few seconds against Cleveland that would have won that match after Purdy had finally put together a decent drive and another shocking attempt missed against the Vikings much earlier in the game. I would expect the MVP to win at least one of those two games, less convinced that the loss to the Bengals says much about Purdy.

I think you can make a reasonable case for Dak Prescott, Jalen Hurts (far less convincing than before last 2 losses), Tyreek Hill, Christian McCaffrey, Purdy. Then perhaps another 5 players (CJ Stroud, Tua, Lamar Jackson, possibly Josh Allen, best defensive player ?) that are within range if they have an impressive last 4 games while the current top contenders struggle. Personally, I'm at the 20 names stage, reducing after each round of games.

Hephaestus

We know Herbert is done for the season but this result surely is the end for Staley. I'd be surprised if he makes it another 48 hours as head coach.
It has to be. He's a defensive minded head coach and they gave up 42 points in the first half against a team that got shut out last weekend. Sherman was right, he should've been fired at half time.

lsd

The Oracle
I know i thought the Raiders were a good bet tonight but this is ridiculous.

Aiden OConnell is looking really good.

Looking forward to a OConnell vs De Vito Superbowl

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What the actual feck Vegas. Going from losing 0:3 to winning 63:21 in one week is just absurd. I'm almost sad they didn't break the scoring record, seemed quite acgievable. The turnovers by the Chargers were ridiculous as well, can't remember ever seeing that.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
JT O'Sullivan (a former NFL QB) of QB School did an analysis video of Purdy 3 years ago when he was at Iowa State, long before anyone knew if he would play in the NFL. I've just watched it on Youtube. Brock is doing the same things he does for the 49ers. Throwing with an insane amount of anticipation doesn't just help Aiyuk, McCaffrey, Kittle and Samuel, it allows Iowa State WRs to catch passes when covered. Midway through the video, JT says "He had more anticipation than I can remember watching just about any other college quarterback". Purdy's footwork is also apparent. In hindsight, the scouting failure is breathtaking, because it can't be that Purdy playing for Iowa State is being made to look better than he is by Kyle Shanahan's SF 49ers system. It is obvious now that the scouts didn't appreciate the value of anticipation; too busy looking for tall guys with strong arms and dual threat QBs.

I'm assuming you don't watch QB School videos on Youtube because if you did, you would at least understand how Purdy's skill-set is different to most QBs, making him worthy of MVP consideration, given his stats are MVP level (Purdy is the top QB for completed air yards per pass attempt, 2nd behind CJ Stroud for completed air yards per completion - that's before Deebo and Brandon Aiyuk do their YAC thing. For yards gained per pass attempt he averages 9.9 yards, next best 8.5). If you compare someone like Jalen Hurts to Purdy, they are behaving completely differently. Hurts takes forever to release the ball, he misses reads because he's abandoned the pocket. He then gets credit for making spectacular plays when he could have found his WRs 10 mins earlier; is that heroic or idiotic ?

The strongest case against Brock Purdy as MVP is the point Joy Taylor raised on Speak, that when SF were involved in tight games, team struggling to adjust after injuries to key players, making tons of errors, Purdy was unable to get them the win. Admittedly, the kicker missed a 43 yard field goal in the last few seconds against Cleveland that would have won that match after Purdy had finally put together a decent drive and another shocking attempt missed against the Vikings much earlier in the game. I would expect the MVP to win at least one of those two games, less convinced that the loss to the Bengals says much about Purdy.

I think you can make a reasonable case for Dak Prescott, Jalen Hurts (far less convincing than before last 2 losses), Tyreek Hill, Christian McCaffrey, Purdy. Then perhaps another 5 players (CJ Stroud, Tua, Lamar Jackson, possibly Josh Allen, best defensive player ?) that are within range if they have an impressive last 4 games while the current top contenders struggle. Personally, I'm at the 20 names stage, reducing after each round of games.
Really good post and cheers for the heads up on that video:

Meller

So Staley got fired at halftime which is kind of funny. Inevitable and the only reason he didn't get the sack after sunday is becuase they had a thursday game but in hindsight it seems kind of weird to not sack him after last weekend.

RoyH1

The Raiders are all over the place this season. No way they should be putting 50+ points on any anyone this season.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
So Staley got fired at halftime which is kind of funny. Inevitable and the only reason he didn't get the sack after sunday is becuase they had a thursday game but in hindsight it seems kind of weird to not sack him after last weekend.
The halftime bit doesn't seem to be true. Pundits were calling for him to be fired at halftime, but I could find anything about him actually being fired.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Just on your Joy Taylor argument. I find it hilarious that they keep mentioning those three losses ( the only non-injury losses of his career) but never contextualize it as a very new qb in his first full season and just ignore every other game he been down in. They also never mention the cowboys weapons as a criticism of dak for some reason. Like lamb, cooks, Gallup isn't stacked or Zach Martin doesn't exist etc. I think it's the difference in respect for the head coaches. Shanahan is the genius play caller and he went to the superbowl with Jimmy G so of course Purdy can't be that good. Mccarthy even though he's won a superbowl gets no credit for it and is just underrated in general.

RoadTrip

The reality is it’s always much more difficult to appreciate the intangible qualities that make players good compared to the physical qualities that make players good.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
The reality is it’s always much more difficult to appreciate the intangible qualities that make players good compared to the physical qualities that make players good.
I agree - the difference Purdy’s anticipation makes is huge. In the video he mentions how Purdy throws his receivers open. This was something that Jimmy G never did - he always wanted the receiver to be open before he threw. This really limited the routes that he could effectively throw to.

Shanahan’s scheme does an excellent job of allowing his players to find space and gaps in the defense. This helped Jimmy G get completions, but he never was able to leverage the opportunities that the scheme provided like Purdy has been able to. It was interesting in the video how creative Iowa State’s offense was with regard to how it created mismatches and space for their receivers. No wonder Purdy looked at home from the outset in our system.

Linked to this is Purdy’s ability and willingness to throw the deep ball - again something that Jimmy G didn’t ever really threaten to do. The defense has to respect this more now which in turn helps our running game and opens up more space in the midfield for shorter, quicker passes that our players are incredibly adept at racking up huge YAC on.

I love watching our preseason games each year because you get to hear so many insights from the commentators as to how camp has been going. I remember watching Purdy last preseason and was immediately struck by how good he looked. He just looked so natural and comfortable. That isn’t typically the case in preseason when the 3rd string QB gets some snaps - they usually look like 3rd stringers!

Have been following my Niners since 1985, when we had a pretty good QB. I can’t say I’ve seen a QB since who reminds me of the way Montana played as much as Purdy does.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible