NFL Thread 2013-14

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
59 yard coming, ball spiked with 1 second left. No matter what happens, great finish to the game.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
Remember when United used to be involved in exciting games? :(

Sweet Jesus, that was some finish.

Andrew~

Crazy games all round. Got a feeling San Francisco are going to beat Seattle tonight.

iSparky

Oh my heart! I used to get that feeling watching united :(

iSparky

Poor Gronk, we need to wrap him in lots of bubble wrap whenever he comes back from this injury.

Andrew~

Nice drive up the field by Seattle leading to a Lynch TD run. Aldon Smith is one of three or four human freaks I've seen in this league (JJ Watt, Calvin Johnson and Jimmy Graham being the others). Just an incredible athlete.

JP77

Roethlisberger doesn't sound too happy, refused to comment on one question and pin pointed Coach Haley when asked why we didn't run the ball more.

My interest is quite invested in the Seahawks/Niners game. The bookies had the 49'ers as favorites today, could get the Seahawks at 5/4, almost stuck them in on an Acca but didn't get round to it.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Roethlisberger doesn't sound too happy, refused to comment on one question and pin pointed Coach Haley when asked why we didn't run the ball more.

My interest is quite invested in the Seahawks/Niners game. The bookies had the 49'ers as favorites today, could get the Seahawks at 5/4, almost stuck them in on an Acca but didn't get round to it.

Think that wouldn't be a bad bet.

The Niners just aren't looking fluid on offense this season. Hasn't helped having Crabtree and Manningham out, but think the problem lies with the playcalling. Either our receivers struggle to get separation, or we dont have the plays that create some space in the secondary.

20solskjaer

Think that wouldn't be a bad bet.

The Niners just aren't looking fluid on offense this season. Hasn't helped having Crabtree and Manningham out, but think the problem lies with the playcalling. Either our receivers struggle to get separation, or we dont have the plays that create some space in the secondary.
I was looking at seattle too, went with over 41.5 in the end

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Glad to see the refs have called some defensive holding calls on Seattle - they also missed a blatant pass interference against Crabtree.

kikks

Hehe. I ain't even mad. That was an amazing finish.

Actually, I am a bit mad. WHat the hell was the PI call on Greenway? Smh. Well, I was expecting the Vikings to lose, and they managed to. Even if it took some work.

Andrew~

Two things: Seattle have been struggling coverage somewhat since KJ Wright went off, and they have killed themselves today with all these penalties. It's kind of ridiculous how bad they are.

20solskjaer

Looks like the redcafe betting curse has struck once again! No scores in the 3rd with less than 2 mins to play :lol:
Only another 9 points required now, the rest are coming in no problem so far, had denver, arizona and san diego on the spread

Andrew~

Blah. They gave that one away. Not entirely unexpected but the manner of it was no good.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Gronk :(

With Brady you never know, but without Gronk I'd say our chances of going to the SB are very slim. We've had no luck with injuries this season and he's become an injury prone player. As good as he is, you have to worry about his durability with all these serious injuries.

GloryHunter07

Anyone else think that was a bad tackle on Gronk? Or just bad luck?

Talking of tackling, Raiders give up the customary TD where running back "breaks" about 8 tackles...

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Anyone else think that was a bad tackle on Gronk? Or just bad luck?

Talking of tackling, Raiders give up the customary TD where running back "breaks" about 8 tackles...
It used to be an unspoken rule in the NFL to not go low and hit players around the knees.

However I have heard a few players this year saying that they are going to start hitting receivers low in order to avoid getting fined for higher hits. They acknowledge that it increases the chance of injury, but they feel like they don't have much choice.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
No doubt he stepped out and no doubt Roethlisberger got away with a forward lateral.

the forward latt was close, you have to not look where his feet or body are but where the ball is and since he swings his arm out in front of his body you have to look at where the ball was when he released it and where it was when the receiver caught it. The camera angle does not help, but it was probably a forward latt but was pretty close.

Similar to the Music City Miracle where Bills fans still think it was a forward lateral because they watch the recievers body not where the ball was thrown from and where it was actually caught.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
the forward latt was close, you have to not look where his feet or body are but where the ball is and since he swings his arm out in front of his body you have to look at where the ball was when he released it and where it was when the receiver caught it. The camera angle does not help, but it was probably a forward latt but was pretty close.

Similar to the Music City Miracle where Bills fans still think it was a forward lateral because they watch the recievers body not where the ball was thrown from and where it was actually caught.
I'm well aware of the rule. The Bills/Titans game was more obvious of not being a forward lateral IMO, just that Bills fans are snakebit from all those SB losses they will believe anything is against them. Roethlisberger's throw looks to me that the ball moves forward, and I did look at where his feet where versus his arm. His feet are just behind the PIT 32 and the ball finds the receiver at/near the PIT 33.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
It used to be an unspoken rule in the NFL to not go low and hit players around the knees.

However I have heard a few players this year saying that they are going to start hitting receivers low in order to avoid getting fined for higher hits. They acknowledge that it increases the chance of injury, but they feel like they don't have much choice.
Its the league's new rules that are making players tackle below the waist.
Take away the helmets and we won't see defenders aiming for legs nor going high for the knockout/highlight film hits. I've always felt that way, never understood why the league went to helmets from the start. I hated wearing a helmet when I played in Texas youth leagues. Always had more fun playing tackle the man or backyard/pickup games. We saw real tackling then, just like rugby. The helmet has long given players a sense of invincibility.