NFL Thread 2019

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I do think if Zeke and Cooper weren’t up in the same year though, they’d have already completed this deal with Dak. Probably at a similar level to Wentz. But Phili is built around Wentz whereas whilst Dak is very good, Dallas should be and are a run orientated team. Which means contracts for key lineman also become that much more important. Not many teams who have a QB wanting market setting money and a RB who is top tier too, at the same time, also wanting market setting money. Not to mention Cooper, although I do think Cooper’s leverage is much less although Dallas gave up a fair chunk for him to then not pursue him long term and let him go in a free, in a season where they were unlikely to challenge for the Super Bowl.

I think Dallas is in a really tough spot. Partly though their own making.

As a Patriots fan, it’s times like this that you appreciate Brady’s desire to just win and not earn (obviously, I’m not saying he’s a super human who doesn’t care about money - I’m sure a large part is having a super rich wife) really helped and continues to help us.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Oh it's madness no doubt, but that Wentz deal is the cause of it.

Wilson getting what he got is one thing, Dak could reasonably be told to feck off if he tried citing that, but he's better than and has outperformed Wentz consistently, and is also available to play every game where Wentz has had big injury problems.
That's certainly debatable. Wentz came 3rd in MVP voting back in 2017. I know who I'd rather have at QB between those two. And I'm no Wentz fan either.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Oh it's madness no doubt, but that Wentz deal is the cause of it.

Wilson getting what he got is one thing, Dak could reasonably be told to feck off if he tried citing that, but he's better than and has outperformed Wentz consistently, and is also available to play every game where Wentz has had big injury problems.

It's the market that's insane.
Disagree on that one. Dak had a better rookie season but Wentz was miles ahead during 2017, and would've won MVP at a canter if he didn't tear his ACL. Last year Wentz had one (passing) TD and one INT less than Dak despite playing 5 fewer games.

Wentz has flashed the ability that he could be an elite QB in the NFL, whereas Dak is just what he is - a dependable field general who performs above average if he has the right pieces, i.e. Zeke in this case, around him.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I'd take Wentz over Dak all day long.

Wentz injury record the only concern with him. If he stays fit he'll be in the upper class of QB's and perennial MVP candidate.

RoadTrip

That's certainly debatable. Wentz came 3rd in MVP voting back in 2017. I know who I'd rather have at QB between those two. And I'm no Wentz fan either.
Disagree on that one. Dak had a better rookie season but Wentz was miles ahead during 2017, and would've won MVP at a canter if he didn't tear his ACL. Last year Wentz had one (passing) TD and one INT less than Dak despite playing 5 fewer games.

Wentz has flashed the ability that he could be an elite QB in the NFL, whereas Dak is just what he is - a dependable field general who performs above average if he has the right pieces, i.e. Zeke in this case, around him.

Wentz injury record the only concern with him. If he stays fit he'll be in the upper class of QB's and perennial MVP candidate.
No doubt Wentz has potential but you need to be on the field to ever realise it. His injury history is more than just a concern. And with each one you have to wonder how often he will come back to the same level.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
No doubt Wentz has potential but you need to be on the field to ever realise it. His injury history is more than just a concern. And with each one you have to wonder how often he will come back to the same level.
Exactly. It's been a while since he performed on a really high level. There's no guarantee he'll be getting back there.
Dak shouldn't be paid, though. Neither should Zeke.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Salary cap will probably rise another ~$10m to around $200m total. 2020 is also the last year of the current CBA, which might make things a bit more complicated for several deals to be done.

I don't think he'll get $40m/year but it's not that ridiculous to ask for it in the first place imo.
I have a feeling the NFL will go into a lockout after the current CBA. The players union will posture and seek a CBA like the one NBA currently has, the owners will bark back that they are losing money, ratings are going down, franchise values are plummeting etc and the player eventually cave and take a deal worse than they currently have.

chetan

Cowboys should walk away, Dak is not even a top 10 QB in NFC. But knowing Jerry he won't.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I have a feeling the NFL will go into a lockout after the current CBA. The players union will posture and seek a CBA like the one NBA currently has, the owners will bark back that they are losing money, ratings are going down, franchise values are plummeting etc and the player eventually cave and take a deal worse than they currently have.
Aren't the players already preparing for a lockout?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
They might get a good deal, but it’ll involve extending the regular season by one or two games. Probably just one at first.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Never watched pre-season before (besides the one game I went to) and currently watching the Patriots steamroll the Lions. Not much different from football I reckon? Lots of different players in a massive squad getting minutes to prove themselves etc. Any point in continue following this as a non-die hard fan?

RoadTrip

Never watched pre-season before (besides the one game I went to) and currently watching the Patriots steamroll the Lions. Not much different from football I reckon? Lots of different players in a massive squad getting minutes to prove themselves etc. Any point in continue following this as a non-die hard fan?
Not really. The closest to real action in pre-season is usually week 3 games of preseason.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Absolutely none. The Lions once went 4-0 in preseason and 0-16 in the regular season. It's a complete waste of time.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No point following it unless you're just curious about new players who may or may not otherwise play much once the season starts

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No point outside of maybe of a dozen of snaps, if you want to see whether a new scheme is really different from the previous one. But even then it's not that interesting because it's vanilla on both sides.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

Anyone seen this? Like the Browns’ own version of Hard Knocks. Not as good but interesting.
The more I see of Kitchens, the more I think he is a good fit for Cleveland.

I’ve heard him mentioned as a weak point, being a rookie coach on a team loaded with personality, but their real problem is the offensive line.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

The only person that doesn't is Skip Bayless.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I do think if Zeke and Cooper weren’t up in the same year though, they’d have already completed this deal with Dak. Probably at a similar level to Wentz. But Phili is built around Wentz whereas whilst Dak is very good, Dallas should be and are a run orientated team. Which means contracts for key lineman also become that much more important. Not many teams who have a QB wanting market setting money and a RB who is top tier too, at the same time, also wanting market setting money. Not to mention Cooper, although I do think Cooper’s leverage is much less although Dallas gave up a fair chunk for him to then not pursue him long term and let him go in a free, in a season where they were unlikely to challenge for the Super Bowl.

I think Dallas is in a really tough spot. Partly though their own making.

As a Patriots fan, it’s times like this that you appreciate Brady’s desire to just win and not earn (obviously, I’m not saying he’s a super human who doesn’t care about money - I’m sure a large part is having a super rich wife) really helped and continues to help us.
It always amazes me when I hear all the pundits and ex-players in particular say the players need to get their money, and forget about the team.

I do get it in a way as they can be cut at any moment.

In the AFL the most successful and dominant teams in recent years:

- Geelong won three Premierships, in 07, 09 and 11, and lost the grand final in 08.

- and Hawthorn won four. The first was in 08, lost the grand final in 12, and then won 13, 14 and 15.

These kinds of teams won't be seen again for years, and they were so successful because their best players all took unders in order to stay together and be successful.

In fact it cost Hawthorn their best player at the end of 2013 as he received a godfather offer from another team (Sydney - who had beaten them in 2012). Thankfully though we got our revenge in 2014 and destroyed them in the Grand Final despite them poaching our best player. And Geelong lost their best player at the end of 2010 to a godfather offer too.

Anyway long story short - it's no wonder that most successful teams across different codes all had their best players taking team friendly contracts (until two unprecedented offers were put to their two best players respectively - but they had both at least won two premierships each before leaving). Brady and the Patriots should be a lesson for everyone else, and not the exception to the rule.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
the lesson is that the nflpa needs a stronger union that would enable larger contracts (guaranteed too) while also letting players stay together.
Just can’t see guaranteed contracts ever happening in the NFL. Too many injuries and owners are too strong and unified. I’ll never fault a player for sitting out like Le’Veon Bell did last season.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Anyone else hear the story about Brown trying to smuggle in a poorly painted version of his banned helmet into training?

:lol:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Just can’t see guaranteed contracts ever happening in the NFL. Too many injuries and owners are too strong and unified. I’ll never fault a player for sitting out like Le’Veon Bell did last season.
Well, me neither but it didn't exactly turn out to be profitable for him in the long run.

JPRouve

Scout
It always amazes me when I hear all the pundits and ex-players in particular say the players need to get their money, and forget about the team.

I do get it in a way as they can be cut at any moment.

In the AFL the most successful and dominant teams in recent years:

- Geelong won three Premierships, in 07, 09 and 11, and lost the grand final in 08.

- and Hawthorn won four. The first was in 08, lost the grand final in 12, and then won 13, 14 and 15.

These kinds of teams won't be seen again for years, and they were so successful because their best players all took unders in order to stay together and be successful.

In fact it cost Hawthorn their best player at the end of 2013 as he received a godfather offer from another team (Sydney - who had beaten them in 2012). Thankfully though we got our revenge in 2014 and destroyed them in the Grand Final despite them poaching our best player. And Geelong lost their best player at the end of 2010 to a godfather offer too.

Anyway long story short - it's no wonder that most successful teams across different codes all had their best players taking team friendly contracts (until two unprecedented offers were put to their two best players respectively - but they had both at least won two premierships each before leaving). Brady and the Patriots should be a lesson for everyone else, and not the exception to the rule.
NFL contracts are for the most part not guaranteed, players really should think about themselves because at the first opportunity they will be cut. And Brady can't be a lesson for anyone, his wife is wealthier than he is.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
NFL contracts are for the most part not guaranteed, players really should think about themselves because at the first opportunity they will be cut. And Brady can't be a lesson for anyone, his wife is wealthier than he is.
I read his interview yesterday after he put his Boston house on the market, he's living the fecking life man, just crazy.

"We have a great home in New York and we've spent time in California over the years," he said. "My son lives in New York. I have spent time in California. We have a home in Costa Rica we've gone to for 12 years. We have a home in Montana we've gone to. I think we just have been blessed to have our kids experience the world. My wife is from Brazil. We do a lot of travel. We built our home in California. We sold it. We built this one in Boston. We're just fortunate enough to have options and we'll decide when the time comes.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I have very stupidly agreed to take part in a fantasy NFL draft game with a load of friends who are obsessed with NFL. I however have not watched a full NFL game since it was on Channel 4 about 20 years ago.

Help me out here guys - who the hell should I try to get? What are the most important positions? Am I insane?

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I have very stupidly agreed to take part in a fantasy NFL draft game with a load of friends who are obsessed with NFL. I however have not watched a full NFL game since it was on Channel 4 about 20 years ago.

Help me out here guys - who the hell should I try to get? What are the most important positions? Am I insane?
Load up on WRs and RBs early (check out whether it's PPR or not). Don't draft a TE and QB early unless the likes of Watson, Mahomes or Rodgers fall to you in the 5th round or later. Don't draft a kicker or defense before the two last rounds of the drafts (if they're included in your roster). Don't follow trends, i.e. do not panic if everyone starts taking QBs or TEs in a particular (early) round. Take the value that's presented to you.

If you're top 3: draft Barkley, Kamara or McCaffrey. Try to make sure you have approximately 3 RBs and 3 WRs after the first six rounds.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy

It all depends on the rules used for your fantasy game and the site used (Yahoo, ESPN etc). I quite like the explanations given by Matthew Berry for drafting, bearing in mind this is an ESPN based article
https://www.espn.com/fantasy/footba...-your-fantasy-football-team-matthew-berry-way

Take a look at the thread for the current draft going on here too, bearing in mind that it is a dynasty draft, not a single year draft. Should give you an idea or two on players.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Load up on WRs and RBs early (check out whether it's PPR or not). Don't draft a TE and QB early unless the likes of Watson, Mahomes or Rodgers fall to you in the 5th round or later. Don't draft a kicker or defense before the two last rounds of the drafts (if they're included in your roster).

If you're top 3: draft Barkley, Kamara or McCaffrey. Try to make sure you have approximately 3 RBs and 3 WRs after the first six rounds.
Ok awesome - thanks.

JPRouve

Scout
I read his interview yesterday after he put his Boston house on the market, he's living the fecking life man, just crazy.
And it would be the same if the Patriots never paid him, not even a cent. Brady is a very special case without even mentioning the fact that we all know that the patriots are cheating in some ways.:D