NFL Thread

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
They don’t need to officiate again if that’s the level they’re gonna perform at in a conference championship game.

High school officials wouldn’t mess that call up. And that’s saying ALOT.
I've witnessed plenty of garbage officiating at amateur and youth level. It's certainly possible it would be a miss call.

There's a bonafide penalty on every play, probably more than one, that go uncalled. I agree on the level and in a short field with all the officials congested there's no excuse to miss/not call that blatant a play. Funny thing is you'll have pundits on TV moaning about it all this coming week but if say that call cost the Cowboys or Pats most wouldn't care.

Pscholes18

I think they should have a extra quarter and whoever is leading at the end wins, like extra time in football. If no leader play another.

Isn’t it like that in Basketball?

The overtime rules have been talked about for years a lot of people think I should be like college football or they should just play a whole extra quarter. but this is the NFL and thesethese pl make millions of dollars and they have brands to sell and nobody wants to get hurt so I don't think we will ever see a major major rule change for overtime in NFL.

mav_9me

The pats are 4 on 4 in 3rd downs so far. Unless the Chiefs buck up their run defense they are done.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
I really don't like the Rams at all. I reckon I'm fecked now as I don't see we either the Pats or Chiefs beating them.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
but its actually very hard. even in 2018 the best in the world at 63% from 50+ yards. and zeurlein just hit two of them in clutch spots
I know it's hard, doesn't mean I have to be impressed with kickers. Odds are with him afterall to hit that kick.

Snow

Am I right in saying you wouldn’t be impressed by a penalty kicked directly in the top corner (in a shootout or stoppage time) to win or go to the World Cup or Champions League finals? Not having a go, just curious.
I wouldn't be impressed with that no. Penalty kicks aren't something footballers spend their time training. If they would they would hit penalties like that consistently.

MrMarcello

I can remember when 57 yards was something only done at the end of a half or end of a game. It was unheard of years ago. These kickers today are much more physically fit and stronger.

Snow

Which was the hardest?
Threading a ball to a team mate with perfect weight is probably the hardest. Also controlling the ball away from danger with someone stronger than you breathing down your neck is very hard. You see United attackers struggle with that every game.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I'm sorry, I didn't realize I had no control over what impresses me.
I'm with you. No doubt it's skilful and very tough to pull off in tense situations, they're still very dull to watch compared to the rest of the sport. Overtime should be first to score a td!

Deleted member 101472

The guys who place the ball for the kicker, do they do anything else?

Snow

I can remember when 57 yards was something only done at the end of a half or end of a game. It was unheard of years ago. These kickers today are much more physically fit and stronger.
Well think about how much these kickers have practised throughout their life. How many years is it? They didn't start when they were 5 but rather something like 14-16. So they've got about as much experience kicking as a 15 year old that has played tennis since he was 5. Look at Morten Andersen. He was an exchange student in the US, tried kicking for his high school team and he wound up getting a scholarship because he was so good compared to other US kids and he had never kicked an American football before but by Danish standards he was a very good footballer. He was the best college football kicker in the US having only been a kicker for 4 years.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Rams have now twice benefited from officiating in an NFC title game. Anyone recall the Bert Emanuel catch in Jan 2000? Cost the Bucs a shot at kicking a winning FG.
Yeah. The Calvin Johnson one and then later Dez v GB get notoriety now, but that was the original great ‘catch’ which kickstarted the deep philosophical debate about what constitutes a reception.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Pats are defending out of their mind. Chiefs can't give Mahomes any time.

MrMarcello

I'd have never thought the Chiefs would have a goose egg at halftime.

I'm sure @Eboue has the stats readily available, but I seem to recall something about the Pats defense was much better over the last 8-10 regular season games, right up there with the best in the league.

ArseHat

I wouldn't be impressed with that no. Penalty kicks aren't something footballers spend their time training. If they would they would hit penalties like that consistently.
Fair enough. I see where you’re coming from, the angle that they are paid professionals, and it’s their job to do it, which is understandable. True, most will be able to make a field goal from a reasonable distance with enough practice, even moreso for a pro (although a 48 yarder is quite some distance and his 57 yard try set the record for longest playoff game winner). Anyone can also convert a cool unsaveable penalty in practice or during a kickabout with their mates.

However, not many will be able to replicate that form on the biggest stage in front of 50 thousand plus fans screaming at you, millions watching from around the world, where the pressure of a nation and/or fan base rests on your shoulders, and a make or miss could define your life and legacy. No amount of training and practice will prepare you for that. Even the likes of Jordan, Messi and Cristiano have failed on the biggest stage. That’s what I and most will find impressive, rather than the successful kick. Succeeding under the biggest pressure (if this was a regular season game, it wouldn’t be as impressive obviously), and he came up big twice in the same game.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It’s a no-lose situation for the Super Bowl from here: a rematch of the best regular season game in memory, or old Goat vs new Goat.

Snow

Fair enough. I see where you’re coming from, the angle that they are paid professionals, and it’s their job to do it, which is understandable. True, most will be able to make a field goal from a reasonable distance with enough practice, even moreso for a pro (although a 48 yarder is quite some distance and his 57 yard try set the record for longest playoff game winner). Anyone can also take a cool penalty in practice or during a kickabout with their mates.

However, not many will be able to replicate that form on the biggest stage in front of 50 thousand plus fans screaming at you, millions watching from around the world, where the pressure of a nation and/or fan base rests on your shoulders, and a miss or make could define your life and legacy. No amount of training and practice will prepare you for that. Even the likes of Jordan, Messi and Cristiano have failed on the biggest stage. That’s what I and most will find impressive, rather than making the kick. Succeeding under the biggest pressure, and he came up big twice in the same game.
Sure. I mean penalty kicks are basically just being comfortable enough doing them so that the pressure doesn't get to you and field goals are similar in that respect, also being away in the Superdome. I'm not saying that the kick wasn't good or it's not hard to score from 50+ yards, I'm just saying I'm not impressed with kickers in general and that's probably because I had been practising and watching football for almost 2 decades before I saw these people being paid to basically take goal kicks. The bar for doing hard things with balls is just higher for me. Shit, even Messi has sort of raised that bar now. It used to be that scoring more than 30 goals a season was a amazing, now it's just good.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
It’s a no-lose situation for the Super Bowl from here: a rematch of the best regular season game in memory, or old Goat vs new Goat.
Who is the new Goat?

I thought this was supposed to be old goat vs new goat with all the commentators wetting themselves over Mahomes