NFL Thread

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Having just started watching the NFL post season this year (from the UK) and watching on CBS, I'm a bit surprised at how little analysis there is from the panel of 5 experts. I used to get angry when the Champions League was on ITV and the adverts would massively eat up the time but this seems far worse. They must earn $10,000 per word.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Having just started watching the NFL post season this year (from the UK) and watching on CBS, I'm a bit surprised at how little analysis there is from the panel of 5 experts. I used to get angry when the Champions League was on ITV and the adverts would massively eat up the time but this seems far worse. They must earn $10,000 per word.
there are lots of good writers to get analysis from but the tv guys cater to the lowest common denominator

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I don't know how Americans haven't revolted over TV ads over there. Wrecks my head watching anything live from America.

ArseHat

Sure. I mean penalty kicks are basically just being comfortable enough doing them so that the pressure doesn't get to you and field goals are similar in that respect, also being away in the Superdome. I'm not saying that the kick wasn't good or it's not hard to score from 50+ yards, I'm just saying I'm not impressed with kickers in general and that's probably because I had been practising and watching football for almost 2 decades before I saw these people being paid to basically take goal kicks. The bar for doing hard things with balls is just higher for me. Shit, even Messi has sort of raised that bar now. It used to be that scoring more than 30 goals a season was a amazing, now it's just good.
Yea, I see what you’re saying, but a practice environment (for penalties, field goals, free throws in crunch time in particular) will never perfectly replicate a game environment, certainly not a high stakes game like a playoff game or knockout round tie. You hear about so many NBA players who can consistently drain free throws in practice, but are terrible free throw shooters during a game. You see great footballers absolutely sky penalties when under the spotlight. Penalties, field goals, and free throws are more a test of mental fortitude than physical. I respect the mental toughness it takes to consistently succeed in those positions, even if it is their job, because so many who were paid to do the same, have failed in those situations.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Least insightful sports coverage I’ve possibly ever experienced.

They’re doing their best to talk about anything other than the game.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Yea, I see what you’re saying, but a practice environment (for penalties, field goals, free throws in crunch time in particular) will never perfectly replicate a game environment, certainly not a high stakes game like a playoff game or knockout round tie. You hear about so many NBA players who can consistently drain free throws in practice, but are terrible free throw shooters during a game. You see great footballers absolutely sky penalties when under the spotlight. Penalties, field goals, and free throws are more a test of mental fortitude than physical. I respect the mental toughness it takes to consistently succeed in those positions, even if it is their job, because so many who were paid to do the same, have failed in those situations.
In practise they are doing this without pressure yes but they're also not tired. In a match they play at the highest intensity and they get tired and when you are tired you are more likely to make mistakes so that's also a factor regarding free throws. Penalties are more what I said earlier, players don't practise them.

But I agree, in any sport the biggest challenge is being there mentally and I respect that too because that's the biggest challenge for most professional athletes. NFL maybe more so because there are X amount of spots in the whole sport and many players only have 2-4 weeks to impress for a job.

ArseHat

In practise they are doing this without pressure yes but they're also not tired. In a match they play at the highest intensity and they get tired and when you are tired you are more likely to make mistakes so that's also a factor regarding free throws. Penalties are more what I said earlier, players don't practise them.

But I agree, in any sport the biggest challenge is being there mentally and I respect that too because that's the biggest challenge for most professional athletes. NFL maybe more so because there are X amount of spots in the whole sport and many players only have 2-4 weeks to impress for a job.
I think we’ve found some compromise, but I will say that NBA teams usually practice free throws in conjunction with their regular practices/drills so it’s not like a free throw only practice. I know the Lakers run suicides and other high intensity conditioning drills while shooting free throws to mimic game environment. The players will usually be drenched in sweat when they practice them. Also, I’m sure teams do practice penalties, particularly when in the KO rounds of a cup competition, but it’s probably not given as much importance as other areas.

Charlie Foley

Ruling on the field was he touched that right? I don’t think it’s clear enough to overturn

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Looked to me like he didn't touch it, but going to be hard to overturn. First video from the front looked like it hit his hand on the ground or right as it bounced, but the side angle is trickier.

Plus it's the damn Patriots, so yeah.

mav_9me

In real-time the way it bounced looked like it bounced off his fingers/hand but in slow mo can't make any thing out.

Amazing how small these margins are at the highest level.