NFL Thread

diarm

Tbf both teams had an equal chance of getting the opportunity in the first place. NE won the toss, just have to deal with it.

You’re making it out like KC were robbed, they just weren’t good enough.
Everyone bar Patriots players and fans were robbed of a satisfying ending. Both sides would have an equal chance of winning a coin flip before kick off so why bother playing the game?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
New England had multiple opportunities to score a touchdown. If they had failed should they have automatically lost the game?

That would actually be a fairer rule - the coin toss winner gets the first drive. Score and you win, fail to score and you lose. It's still super shit but it's fairer than one side getting two chances and one side getting none.
I’m not really advocating for the rule I’m just saying that KC had equal chance to effect the game. Their defence lost them the game.

If it was the other way round I wouldn’t be complaining.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Tbf both teams had an equal chance of getting the opportunity in the first place. NE won the toss, just have to deal with it.

You’re making it out like KC were robbed, they just weren’t good enough.
you don't "just have to deal with it". you can advocate for a fairer system, which i am doing

Berbaclass

you don't "just have to deal with it". you can advocate for a fairer system, which i am doing
It’s useless in the context of the game which is played under the current rules though. The players are aware of the rules and it’s up to them to effect the game. KC lost the game themselves.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
It’s useless in the context of the game which is played under the current rules though. The players are aware of the rules and it’s up to them to effect the game. KC lost the game themselves.
they lost the game after being arbitrarily placed in a position where the odds were stacked against them

Carolina Red

Staff
Tbf, the NFL is the only level on the American football pyramid that doesn’t allow both teams a possession in overtime.

High school and college both start at a set yard line and give each team the ball.

diarm

I’m not really advocating for the rule I’m just saying that KC had equal chance to effect the game. Their defence lost them the game.

If it was the other way round I wouldn’t be complaining.
It's not equal and I can't believe you can't see that. One side has a risk free go at an attacking drive, knowing that if they fail they will have another opportunity with their defence. The other side has all of the risk in attempting to defend a drive, knowing if they fail they won't get an opportunity with their attack.

There is very little effect KC players can have on a coin toss they weren't allowed to call.

diarm

why not just play rock paper scissors, best of 3? both teams had an equal chance in the first place
Rock, paper, scissors would be infinitely better than a coin toss for determining sides, kick offs and other such matters across all sports!

It would add an intriguing element to captaincy and make for great viewing!

Berbaclass

Tbf, the NFL is the only level on the American football pyramid that doesn’t allow both teams a possession in overtime.

High school and college both start at a set yard line and give each team the ball.
It's not equal and I can't believe you can't see that. One side has a risk free go at an attacking drive, knowing that if they fail they will have another opportunity with their defence. The other side has all of the risk in attempting to defend a drive, knowing if they fail they won't get an opportunity with their attack.

There is very little effect KC players can have on a coin toss they weren't allowed to call.
Again guys, I’m not saying that the rule is fair. I said during the previous game that I didn’t think it was.

I’m just saying that both sets of players know what they have to do and are aware of the rules and KC were let down by their defence.

Berbaclass

you're missing the point and i think its because you are a fan of one of the teams who played in the game
No I’m not I agree with you that the rule is not very fair, I just think it’s irrelevant because they play with the current rules in mind and KC failed on defence. I don’t think it’s fair to say KC couldn’t do anything to stop NE scoring because they absolutely could and almost did multiple times.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
While I agree that the current system isn’t fair (or fairer say like college football where both teams get the ball), this also is the system that’s been in play forever and everyone knows the rules. You don’t see a big clamor or movement in getting it changed either. I remember the days when the first team who scored (even by a field goal) that won. I’m not too bothered either way, as both teams had 60 minutes to settle the game and prevent OT. Also there’s some excitement knowing that you score a TD and it’s over. A walk off or golden goal situation. Not saying college football overtime’s aren’t exciting either, btw. Just feel college OTs are cool for college and NFL OT is fun and exciting for the NFL. And while it may not be ideal, the coin flip has a lot to do with it.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Tbh it’s just sad that all everyone will talk about now is the OT, when in reality we played an excellent game against the odds.

I think the current OT system is stupid and needs changing but the hyperbole changes so much when it’s the Patriots who benefit. Comments like “won because of a coin toss” are kind of silly because we still had to get a TD to make that comment relevant. Brees won the toss. One slip up and the Rams were in with a short field.

I’m sure there is a fairer system out there for OT. I think part of the issue is players don’t want it changed because they don’t want to have to play more time.

Anyway, I’m glad we won. Should be a great Super Bowl.

Berbaclass

KC have themselves to blame for letting it get to the coin toss through bad game management. If they were a bit smarter they’d have won that game but I think the inexperience showed in the end.

They should have wound the clock down more and not given the ball back with 2 minutes left. That was asking for trouble.

As far as I’m concerned they had 60 minutes to win the game and they know what happens if it’s level at the end of it. The OT rule may not be the fairest but they had the chance to not let it come down to that. Not to even mention things like Ford’s offside...

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I know that this is a football forum but NFL is the best sporting league in the world. My weekends are going to be so boring now
Try getting on to AFL given it will be on during the off season. It's a much faster and harder sport. Plus it's a football code where they actually kick the ball.

Highlights from the Grand Final in September. 100k people in the stands. Game went down to the last minute.

Also #46 for Collingwood (Mason Cox), the black and white team, is an American who has come across and has been playing well.

Last edited:

haram

KC have themselves to blame for letting it get to the coin toss through bad game management. If they were a bit smarter they’d have won that game but I think the inexperience showed in the end.

They should have wound the clock down more and not given the ball back with 2 minutes left. That was asking for trouble.

As far as I’m concerned they had 60 minutes to win the game and they know what happens if it’s level at the end of it. The OT rule may not be the fairest but they had the chance to not let it come down to that. Not to even mention things like Ford’s offside...
The OT rule is shit. What happened in regulation changes nothing.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
There’s no point in saying the players know the rules beforehand when the actual point is that these said rules are terrible.

lsd

The Oracle
Patriots gifted another easy ride into the superbowl . The AFC is a joke .

When Miami Dolphins are one of the best teams things need to change .

They really need to shake up the divisions again . I certainly can't be bothered watching Brady and Co again in a Superbowl

RoadTrip

They really need to shake up the divisions again . I certainly can't be bothered watching Brady and Co again in a Superbowl
:lol:

Get a grip.

And no one’s forcing you to watch.

Erics_Collar

Sylar

Tbh it’s just sad that all everyone will talk about now is the OT, when in reality we played an excellent game against the odds.

I think the current OT system is stupid and needs changing but the hyperbole changes so much when it’s the Patriots who benefit. Comments like “won because of a coin toss” are kind of silly because we still had to get a TD to make that comment relevant. Brees won the toss. One slip up and the Rams were in with a short field.

I’m sure there is a fairer system out there for OT. I think part of the issue is players don’t want it changed because they don’t want to have to play more time.

Anyway, I’m glad we won. Should be a great Super Bowl.
Not really
It's said almost every year and a lot no matter which team benefits

Here it might be argued more cos you have more patriots fans here - thus making an opposing argument against it cos their team won

But both teams not getting possession is crazy in a playoff game especially when it decides something so big

RoadTrip

Not really
It's said almost every year and a lot
Here it might be more argued cos you have more patriots fans making an argument against it cos their team won

But both teams not getting possession is crazy in a playoff game
I don’t think there’s anyone who supports it, including patriots fans. The majority of which on here have clearly said that it’s not the best rule. But perhaps if you read the next sentence, you’ll understand the context of my post. Some of us fans perhaps get overly defensive because of the level of BS.

The fact of the matter is this: the rule sucks, whoever is playing, whoever benefits. It’s bad for any fan of the sport. But to say it’s the sole reason a team wins is wrong. It contributes. Unfairly so. Which is why it’s a crap rule. But that doesn’t mean it’s the only reason a team wins.

Kazi

The ot rules suck only cause every time Brady is around, the guy drives down the field pinging darts everywhere

Didn’t hear any complaints about them in the earlier game

Brady forever

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The ot rules suck only cause every time Brady is around, the guy drives down the field pinging darts everywhere

Brady forever
That's because you don't read anything other than patriots posts. It's talked about in here every time and it's a bullshit rule.

Also in the earlier game each team had a drive.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Brady forever
You're kidding right? Even in the early game people were saying that the OT rules suck, as they've been saying for years in the NFL thread.

They do suck, it's very unfair. I don't begrudge it to Brady though, he made the plays and performed as clinically as ever. You just know what's gonna happen and you ain't stopping him. Harsh on Mahomes of course, think he was a bit impressed by the occassion in the first half, and the Pats' D played lights out.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
I get it that emotions might be involved here due to people being upset about the outcome of the OT in this particular game but the rule has been around for long enough and all teams know it so they play with it in mind.
Neither defence in this instance was particularly good so either team should have ensured they win it in regular time. Once it gets to OT, they both knew the result of the coin toss will have an influence on the eventual winner.

I liken this to penalty kicks at the end of a draw match in football. When it occurs in a World Cup final, I’ve heard many pundits cry about the rule being unfair and would love for a better way to decide a World Cup winner. However the teams can’t go on playing forever until a winner is found, so concessions have to be made at some point (usually not very fair) to decide a winner and bring the game to an end.

This is the best alternative idea I’ve seen so far,
First team gets possession and they have one drive to score a touchdown. Kicks don't count and no extra points. Whether or not the first team score, possession is given to the second team who have the same one drive to try and score. This continues on a one drive, sudden death basis until one team scores and the other doesn't.

There's no real advantage to either side. No reason for one side not to take a risk on fourth down and no huge advantage to winning the toss. It's simple as feck and would remove the total anticlimax of endings like tonights.
although I’m not sure how the coaching staffs and players will take a game which continues for 30 minutes or more without an outright winner. I would alter it a bit to allow for kicks and extra two points (one teams kicker could score and the other misses), anything to bring the match to an end quickly.

I’m a Pats fan so I was delighted in this case, but I’ve been at the losing end of an unfair rule when my national team lost the Confederations Cup finals in 2003 to a Thierry Henry golden goal in extra time. I was gutted at the time about the loss not about the rule because the rules are well known beforehand so you can’t complain about it after you fall victim.

Sgt.Major

Tom feckin Brady! What a monster!

Can't wait for Bill Burr's Monday morning podcast, he'll be drunk as feck. :lol:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Didn't think the patriots had much of a chance to get there after regular season. Thought chiefs would win comfortably but that was an incredible display from the whole squad.

OT rule isn't the best and Mahomes should've been given a chance. But we all knew the rules before it started and the chiefs D had the chance to get it back to the O - they couldn't.

9 Super Bowl appearances - yikes.

Sylar

I don’t think there’s anyone who supports it, including patriots fans. The majority of which on here have clearly said that it’s not the best rule. But perhaps if you read the next sentence, you’ll understand the context of my post. Some of us fans perhaps get overly defensive because of the level of BS.

The fact of the matter is this: the rule sucks, whoever is playing, whoever benefits. It’s bad for any fan of the sport. But to say it’s the sole reason a team wins is wrong. It contributes. Unfairly so. Which is why it’s a crap rule. But that doesn’t mean it’s the only reason a team wins.

The next sentence is irrelevant to you saying the hyperbole changing when its the patriots benefits. Its not. Its the from the majority of people, no matter which team plays in the playoffs or which team wins and has been for years.
There is no level of BS. Comments like 'won cos of a coin toss' are not just aimed at Patriots. Teams are defo benefiting and having an advantage cos of coin toss though.

They bottled it. They gave up 3 3rd and 10 conversions.
They didnt 'bottle it'. Thats ignoring the tiredness of the defence as well as the good play calling and execution of the Patriots.

Sylar

Tom feckin Brady! What a monster!

Can't wait for Bill Burr's Monday morning podcast, he'll be drunk as feck. :lol:
Defo impressive for Brady to get to another superbowl
But he was not good and hugely benefits from a GOAT coach and system
And a well built franchise

Not that it takes away from his own status but it defo helps him. But fair play to him for still going

RoadTrip

The next sentence is irrelevant to you saying the hyperbole changing when its the patriots benefits. Its not. Its the from the majority of people, no matter which team plays in the playoffs or which team wins and has been for years.
There is no level of BS. Comments like 'won cos of a coin toss' are not just aimed at Patriots. Teams are defo benefiting and having an advantage cos of coin toss though.

They didnt 'bottle it'. Thats ignoring the tiredness of the defence as well as the good play calling and execution of the Patriots.
You’ve just agreed with me in your post. So let’s just leave it where it is.