NHL 2011-2012 season

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
I think Ovechkin simply is so used to doing things on his own that he doesn't know how to utilize his teammates properly in a unselfish way. The guy loves scoring goals so much that he has never really bothered to think about others. His linemates and those on PP with him usually Bäckström and Semin are often reduced to simply feeding him the puck and pick up his scraps.

Another top player that has seen his goal tally go down is Stamkos. Everyone knows he loves to pull the trigger from the left side in the zone so teams just try and shut him down these days. This season he only has 1 goal in 5 matches and in last seasons play-offs he had 6 goals in 18 matches. Might just be a temporary slump but I would be a bit worried if I was part of the coaching staff in Tampa.

Avs-Leafs tonight, two fast skating teams with a good start that hopes to sneak into the play-offs this season. Giguere is starting for Avs, will be interesting to see how he plays vs his old team.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Bruins continue to struggle offensively.
They better wake up soon, the NHL play-offs race doesn't wait on any passengers;)

Impressed with Dallas much better than I expected.

Tribec

I'm pretty sure that the Oilers will be keeping Nuge up in the bigs this year after his debut 7 games, we've still got a couple before we announce the deal, but so far so good.

The best 60 minutes of hockey we've played in a while last night, and a shut out to boot. So we can now rest for 2 games where we draw and lose to tie our record back.

MarylandMUFan

Was at the Caps-Wings game and had a blast. The Caps are currently playing a style of hockey that wins playoff games (crashing the net). Not sure if they have the discipline to keep it up for an entire season though. They go out West to Edmonton and Vancouver where they usually struggle so it will be interesting to see how they do.

Mike Green is looking really solid.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
I'm pretty sure that the Oilers will be keeping Nuge up in the bigs this year after his debut 7 games, we've still got a couple before we announce the deal, but so far so good.

The best 60 minutes of hockey we've played in a while last night, and a shut out to boot. So we can now rest for 2 games where we draw and lose to tie our record back.
No reason to send the Nugget-Hobbit down, he is ready for NHL. Seen him a few times and he reads the game excellently making up for his small size. He might fade a bit in a few months though because his body might not be able to cope with a full NHL season just yet.

And yes the Caps are looking mighty good but as usual we have to wait until play-offs when it comes to them.

Tribec

No reason to send the Nugget-Hobbit down, he is ready for NHL. Seen him a few times and he reads the game excellently making up for his small size. He might fade a bit in a few months though because his body might not be able to cope with a full NHL season just yet.

And yes the Caps are looking mighty good but as usual we have to wait until play-offs when it comes to them.
Nuge does seem ready, and he is adding weight all the time, but he does look very wirey still. However, if he can carry on the way he's going that kid line will have a blast all year. It's still early doors yet, but there would be no reason why we couldn't sit him out a bit through the season. Last season due to injuries all over we rode Hall and Eberle till they dropped. This year we've got a bit more depth in the squad, and can rest him a bit.

What has impressed me so far this year has been our netminding. OK, it's not the strongest in the league, but it does seem as if Khabi has come back from his stint inside, a new player, whilst Dubs has progressed from playing so much last year. He's genuinely challenging Khabi for the starting job.

As I've said many a time 29th is what I'm aiming at this year for the Oilers, anything more is a bonus. I'm waiting to see this years first Oil Change episode, if it's anything like last year then it's going to offer a good insight again into this clubs.

sidsutton

maybe the Habs are doing the reverse of their usual start strong and then fade to #8. Start shit and charge to #8!

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
here's one for the hockey fans. I'm both infuriated and bamboozled by this.

My wife's sister's family get to meet Wayne Gretzky in the coming weeks for some Sick Kid's Hospital function thing. My wife was like "wow you get to meet Wayne Gretzky!" and they were all like "yeah whatever, I'm going to ask him if he knows Jurgen Klinsmann"

Can't fecking believe that. I'd jizz in my pants if I met Wayne Gretzky, they don't even care.

Tribec

My wife's sister's family get to meet Wayne Gretzky in the coming weeks for some Sick Kid's Hospital function thing. My wife was like "wow you get to meet Wayne Gretzky!" and they were all like "yeah whatever, I'm going to ask him if he knows Jurgen Klinsmann"

Can't fecking believe that. I'd jizz in my pants if I met Wayne Gretzky, they don't even care.
I can understand your frustration, meeting someone like him is special. I've met his brother Keith years ago, when he played a season the UK, and saw Gretzky play for the Oilers, but that's it. I'd have so many questions, but wouldn't get them out in a coherant fashion.

In other news slightly related, Edmonton council have approved the deal for the new arena, so hopefully we can start work on it ASAP, as long as we get the provincial money. Then we get a lovely new arena, with a new ice plant, thus returning Edmonton to the top if not near to the top in the best ice league. The ice at the Rexall doesn't help the OIlers in any way these days, it's not very good. Still it will be sad to leave that place, with so much history.

Iron Stove

:lol:

Klinsmann is a pretty bizarre choice of celebrity to ask him about. Is your wife's family German, Doc?

Tribec

So this thing, where you score more goals than the opposition, winning I think they call it, it feels good. To do so 4 times in a row, I like that. Though just looking at the Western Conference, they've got it all wrong. I mean the Oilers at the top???? Come on that can't be right, even this early in the season... :devil:

My god how we've managed to do this, considering how much we've been out shot, I don't know. Dubs and Khabi have been on fire, it can't last of course and true order will sort things out. However, it's bloody good to see, and makes me realise that in a year or two's time this will be the norm, or should be with the talent we've got. 29th is our's to lose for sure, but the rest of the places are our's to gain.

Tribec

What's going on in the NHL?? The Leafs top the East and the Oilers the West! The Oilers on the best run since 2002, Khabbi is flying again the Wall has been re-built. Also since when did the Oilers learn to defend? I mean we've got the least GAA in the league, and look at who we've got in our defensive corps right now.

Yeah I'm rather excited, but since its been 10 years since it was this good, I think I can get a little excited. Not since the play-off run of 06 has it felt this good to be an Oiler. Lapping it up and milking it for all I can, as it won't last, it can't last with the kids we've got. Still aiming for 29th.

Last night 3-0 against a Kings team that should have beat us, but the confidence in the team, and the team buying into the systems has produced this run, and to keep LA down to 19 shots at home, is how we tend to be treated by teams ourselves. Phoenix next and they have been doing OK, and they normally cause us problems, so the run may well end against them.

Dr. Dwayne

I can understand your frustration, meeting someone like him is special. I've met his brother Keith years ago, when he played a season the UK, and saw Gretzky play for the Oilers, but that's it. I'd have so many questions, but wouldn't get them out in a coherant fashion.
They barely know who he is, let alone care. :( They're meeting him tonight, apparently.

:lol:

Klinsmann is a pretty bizarre choice of celebrity to ask him about. Is your wife's family German, Doc?
Yes, sort of. Their mom was a landed immigrant who never gave up her German citizenship. My dad's an ex-Kraut. They probably figure that since they both live in California...., the cnuts. Can you tell that I'm jealous? :nervous:

Tribec

I'm in shock, I'm heading to A&E, the Oilers are out of the 4 game skid, when normal service had been resumed. This being the Oilers though, not a scrappy 2-1 win, oh no.... 9 freaking 2 against the Hawks.

Whoops, just fainted again, when did the Oilers start to destroy teams again? It's normally the other way around. Hall's 2nd hat-trick was nice, but Nuge with 5 assists. After all the hype around Hall and Seguin, I'm now thinking Nuge is the better of the two, and we may have got ourselves our first real great centre since the dynasty days.

All we got to do is stop picking up injuries, we've got 3 D out now, with Barker out for 3 months, Sutton and Porter have gone for a time. Omark has broken his ankle with the OKB's. We've had the most amount of games lost through injury over the past 2 season's if we come close to that this year we'll end up in trouble again.

Tribec

Crosby is back! :D
It's been virtually 12 months, if he breaks down in the next few weeks, and I say IF (hoping not), I think we will possibly have to consider if he's going to be the next Lindross rather than the next Great One. I know the league and the Pens will be hoping otherwise, but the way the season has gone and all the reports last year do worry me that we may not see the same Crosby we saw before, a little more cautious and a little afraid even.

Iron Stove

Yeah, I never thought of him as the heir to that title like a new Gretzky or Lemieux, but since Ovechkin became predictable he's the single best player in the game and has been missed even though I'm sure the hype will get unbearable soon enough.

Mostly though I'm elated for the sake of my pathetic fantasy team :lol:

Still, like you say it's not a given that he'll be back to his best this year and some fans treat him as a 2 ppg player because he went down during a hot streak last year.

Dr. Dwayne

It's been virtually 12 months, if he breaks down in the next few weeks, and I say IF (hoping not), I think we will possibly have to consider if he's going to be the next Lindross rather than the next Great One. I know the league and the Pens will be hoping otherwise, but the way the season has gone and all the reports last year do worry me that we may not see the same Crosby we saw before, a little more cautious and a little afraid even.
Lindros had so much potential, then he kept getting his bell rung. I saw him in person once here in Toronto (with little Darcy Tucker) and was surprised at how small in stature he was compared to how he looked on TV. Mind you, he did look a giant next to Tucker but I reckoned I could take the both of them.

gbgary

Lindros had so much potential, then he kept getting his bell rung. I saw him in person once here in Toronto (with little Darcy Tucker) and was surprised at how small in stature he was compared to how he looked on TV. Mind you, he did look a giant next to Tucker but I reckoned I could take the both of them.
if he'd not tried to be some sort of thug (for lack of a better term) he'd have been a lot better off.

veeery nice return for crosby. being off this long doesn't bode well though. look at mark savard.

B's get their 9th in a row. they've gone from last to third in the overall standings. GO B's!

gbgary

10 in a row. tonight in buffalo (first game since the Lucic/miller incident). came back from 3-1 down to win in a so. keep it going. GO B'S!

DocRockter

Stars with a great win over LA.. Loui ties it with a football tactics in 19.40 of the 3rd and Otter wins it in OT..

Without Morrow, Burish and Goligoski also so a great win all around.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Avs with another loss. just 5 wins in regulation time now the past 55 games and Joe Sacco is still the coach. How low can he sink this team? Already sick of this season and Avs don't even got a first round pick if this pathetic trend continues.

Tribec

I'm hoping Hallsy is going to be OK, not out for a long time. We've not got that much depth on the wings, the only guy we could do with if he's out for a while is Omark and he's out with a broken ankle. It could be that Brule get's a call up, but let's hope not.

Typical of this team this year, we do the impossible by beating the Wild in Minny, something this team hadn't done in 17 previous games there, and then lose to the Avs, with all respect to them, we thought we'd come away with the points. Still so far so good for the Oil, it's looking way better than it did this time last year.

gbgary

B's put phil kessel and the leafs in their place with a big 6-3 win in toronto. playing some great hockey for the last month. took 25 out of a possible 26 points. keep it going...

GO B's!!

Tribec

Congratulations to RNH, on repeating Rookie of the Month for second straight month and only the second to do this after Malkin.. Threepeat would be nice.

Congratulations to Ryan Jones, his first NHL hat-trick in the Oilers 6-3 win over the CBJ's. A further couple of Jones facts, that's his first ever multi-goal game in the NHL and he's now got 9 goals, 1 more than Ovie.. :devil:

We played a pretty crap second period after an OK first last night, but blew the Jackets away in the third. I'm hoping they were keeping plenty back for tonights big game.. Battle of Alberta tonight, so we've got to win, and maintain our pace to challenge for a play-off spot. :eek: I said it didn't I??? I'm starting to think we can make the post season for the first time since 06.

Keeping with the Oiler theme, what do you make to Burke's interview he's given or at least the teasers that he's come out with??
On Anti-Bullying, and How Brian Burke’s Son Helped Mend His Relationship With Kevin Lowe | Backhand Shelf | Blogs | theScore.com

Burke gave theScore’s Sophia Jurksztowicz a lengthy interview on the work he’s doing, and as I mentioned, you aren’t gonna wanna miss the teasers below – he’s incredibly candid. He discusses how Brendan helped mend his relationship with Kevin Lowe, which was at one point a full-blown disaster (including – and how crazy is this – they were going to rent a barn in Lake Placid and have an ACTUAL fist fight before Gary Bettman found out, called and intervened).
Lowe would have battered him, no danger. What was Burke thinking of? Mind you how did it get to that point between the two of them, considering it was just an offer sheet put in by Lowe for a player.

sidsutton

Thoughts on the realignment? Not sure about the playoff format personally as it could get stale playing the same teams every year in the divisional part of it although it could keep more teams with a playoff interest at the end of the season. Need more details on how teh four divisional champs will play it out for the Cup.