NHL 2011-2012 season

kikks

That's the saddest looking post I've seen in this subforum! Tough loss to take. A stupid penalty to take too, with like 20 seconds remaining!

Neutral

BTV
Yeah it's tough...but it's the playoffs, and in such a close series, with two teams so evenly matched, that was the death blow.

I don't think we'll recover from that. Seconds away from going up 3-2 in the series, instead now facing elimination - I expect the Rangers to complete the job the next time the teams meet on the ice.

Neutral

BTV
Well not sure how we picked ourselves back up...but following the pattern of this series, we're due to lose the next one...hahah

shame for us, that happens to be the decider. Man this could have been the series clincher :(

kikks

I have a bad feeling now. Haha. But yeah, let's hope it follows the pattern. Or else Tortorellas press conference after game 7 is going to last approximately 1 second

Neutral

BTV
Shattered :(

Oh well it was just the start of what is going to be a horrible weekend sports wise. Caps are gone, and it'll be the same with United.

kikks

Pretty happy about it! Devils next. Don't even know if I wanna wake up tomorrow morning to watch the game :/ And also, the Vikings have their stadium. So two positives, and one huge, fecking negative. Unfortunately, they don't offset.

gbgary

haven't watched a bit of hockey since the B's went out but have seen the scores. rooting for the kings to go all the way and upset the nhl apple cart.

kikks

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu/¤#/("/#¤(/"#¤"#/%/"(. 3-2 to NJ.

kikks

Well, trailing 2-0 again. I guess it's goodbye playoffs. Goddamn Devils.

Iron Stove

Pretty surprising teams in the finals this year. Looks like the Kings would be the favorites for this one, although I wouldn't make any bet after this year's playoffs.

Tribec

The five minute penalty ruined the game as a contest.
I agree, and for one of the few times a year, Don Cherry called it right. I watched it and he clearly slowed and almost stopped, bringing the hit upon himself. A 2 minute penalty would have been suffice.

I'm really torn on the Kings winning the cup, I still hold some resentment towards them because of THE trade, I just don't like them. However it's another win for the West, and that's good. Plus they have 3 former Oilers in the team, and I can't begrudge two of them the win, Greene and Stoll were part of our Cup run in 06. So I congratulate the Kings through gritted teeth, and move onto the build up to the draft.

However talking of the draft, THE trade and the Oilers. I'm not sure if I'm totally happy with the re-employment of MacT yesterday. As long as he's not going to be any where near coaching the team I'll be happy. I'm hearing lots of rumours about our coaching plan for next year. Sutter or Cooper are the leading lights, but I wouldn't count Todd Nelson out either.

As long as we can finish in the top 20 I'll be happy, we'll probably miss the play-off's, but we aren't that far away now.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
I agree, and for one of the few times a year, Don Cherry called it right. I watched it and he clearly slowed and almost stopped, bringing the hit upon himself. A 2 minute penalty would have been suffice.
He slows because he played the puck back to his left and of course the boards being right in front of him no real reason to keep going foward. The Devils players was heading in for the hit the whole time, the puck had been played away and he failed to keep control of his actions. Remember when watching things in slow motion, things appear much slower then they are in real life and therefore are often distorted. Plain and simple you can't do what Bernier did and he cost his team dearly for his lack of discipline.

mjs020294

Remember when watching things in slow motion, things appear much slower then they are in real life and therefore are often distorted. Plain and simple you can't do what Bernier did and he cost his team dearly for his lack of discipline.
And also remember at full speed in such an important game the adrenaline is flowing. Its hockey FFS, hitting is part of the game. He miss timed it slightly but a two minute penalty would have been sufficient. The five minute penalty completely ruined the game as a spectacle.

JustAFan

And also remember at full speed in such an important game the adrenaline is flowing. Its hockey FFS, hitting is part of the game. He miss timed it slightly but a two minute penalty would have been sufficient. The five minute penalty completely ruined the game as a spectacle.
Legal hits are part of the game, illegal ones get penalized according to the rules of the game. Sort of like laws, right.

Adrenaline is no excuse, the reason the rule is in place is to prevent injuries to players, it is up to the players to keep control of themselves. Bernier lost control of himself, and delivered a hit that all year long has been against the rules, the only person to blame is the player.

You can't let players have free range just because its the playoffs. Later in the game we had a high sticking, that caused a cut, the rules were applied there and a 4 minute penalty was given. 4 minutes out of the game, the Kings were able to take 4 minutes off the clock. Why no complaints about that penalty?

It's been a major penalty all season long, Bernier screwed up and he should have kept himself under control, since he did not, he and his team paid the price. Too bad for them, but it is their own fault, not the refs.

But by all means lets throw the rules out and put players careers and quality of life on the line (concussions are not joke) because MJS doesn't want his spectacle ruined. There is a very valid reason those hits are treated as major penalties, and it has nothing to do with your entertainment.

Besides seeing the Kings go out there and execute their power play and punish the Devils for their lack of discipline was quite a site to behold.

JustAFan

Also earlier in the series didn't the Kings earn a major penalty, interesting no complaints about that call. The Kings were able to go out and kill that one off right? If so, an interesting difference in the champions and the runners up.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
The five minute penalty ruined the game as a contest.
Shouldn't have committed it, and it was quite blatant. I do wonder if the ref played off the result and not the act. With blood on the ice and a player down injured it's probable the ref was influenced to call it harsher than possibly deserved.

However, does anyone feel that rule of the full five minutes regardless of goals scored is fair?

JustAFan

Shouldn't have committed it, and it was quite blatant. I do wonder if the ref played off the result and not the act. With blood on the ice and a player down injured it's probable the ref was influenced to call it harsher than possibly deserved.

However, does anyone feel that rule of the full five minutes regardless of goals scored is fair?
Since it is for serious rules infractions, then yes, the idea is to say to players DO NOT DO THAT, the risk to your team is too great.

gbgary

i watched the final period. the pen was big but it's not like it decided the game. nj had two more periods to go and kept giving up goals. gratz to the kings.

let's go Bruins

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Hello yanks, I have refrained from posting in this thread before as I am only a recent new viewer of the NHL, I love watching all sports and not so long ago started watching NFL but when I started watching the NHL I became pretty hooked. I was watching some games earlier too on YouTube and I love the skill and speed that the game moves at, its pretty damn impressive. Plus the hits are awesome. Anyway, I see that the draft is today and tomorrow and I am going to tune in and watch some of it, is anyone else going to have a look at it?

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Hello yanks, I have refrained from posting in this thread before as I am only a recent new viewer of the NHL, I love watching all sports and not so long ago started watching NFL but when I started watching the NHL I became pretty hooked. I was watching some games earlier too on YouTube and I love the skill and speed that the game moves at, its pretty damn impressive. Plus the hits are awesome. Anyway, I see that the draft is today and tomorrow and I am going to tune in and watch some of it, is anyone else going to have a look at it?
Yeah I'm going to follow the draft despite my team Colorado not having a first round pick. And in a week or so the free agency frenzy starts:drool:

If you are looking for a good hockey forum I would recommend hfboards it's like a hockey version of Caf. And yes NHL is addictive, think I watched over 300 games this season.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Yeah I'm going to follow the draft despite my team Colorado not having a first round pick. And in a week or so the free agency frenzy starts:drool:

If you are looking for a good hockey forum I would recommend hfboards it's like a hockey version of Caf. And yes NHL is addictive, think I watched over 300 games this season.
Sweet going to check out that hfboards, thanks. Yeah I have really been enjoying it, been following Anaheim mostly. They have the 6th pick in round 1 if I remember correctly.