NHS winter 'crisis'

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Plenty of reasons why people may miss an appointment. Charging for missed appointments will affect only the most vulnerable, so I think it would be a bad idea.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
People make mistakes, you going to pretend you've never made them?
No I make them all the time and am responsible for the mistake I make. Nothing wrong with expecting that from adults who do not have any other conditions that affect their memory or abilities.

My doc has a missed appointment fee, they send you a text 48 hrs before and call you the day before. They are also understanding if things (real things that are out of your control) come up, all you have to do is pick up the phone and let them know. If you just do not show up because you can't be bothered or just forgot, well too bad for you.

Really don't understand why expecting adults to take on adult responsibilities is such a problem.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
I have empathy but look my old mother has early onset dimentia and she never misses an appointment because they are either pinned up on the wall or written in a calendar
'If she can do it why can't they' isn't a valid argument. Pinned on a wall or written on a calendar by whom? What kind of support does she receive to get to her appointments?

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
No I make them all the time and am responsible for the mistake I make. Nothing wrong with expecting that from adults who do not have any other conditions that affect their memory or abilities.

My doc has a missed appointment fee, they send you a text 48 hrs before and call you the day before. If you miss it, chances are very good it is your own fault.

Really don't understand why expecting adults to take on adult responsibilities is such a problem.
Because mistakes happen and you'd punish people who often have very little

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I came to the UK to work in the NHS 2 months back and I have to say that it has been a real eye opening experience and sadly not in a positive sense. What's going on right now is just not sustainable and unless something drastic happens things are only going to become worse

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
If someone can't afford to pay are you going to send the baliffs round?

That'll turn a £10 bill into £100 bill

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
If you're sick you won't always be well enough to remember. I'll also repeat people don't have money

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37504449
Mozza, not everyone who misses appointments will have memory problems. It will cut down a huge amount of waste and time loss. Its a very simple idea and everyone has a way of being notified. They even ring you a day or two before ffs.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I'm a general manager in a large acute trust. Believe me when I say this is the worst it's ever been. Although I agree that the NHS has been underfunded for the last 7 years it's a little more complicated than that. The biggest challenge is simply the vast amount of older people requiring help...and just how complex that is. Most of this is down to the unbelievable cuts social care has had to endure. Health are picking up the pieces and are Ill equipped to do this ( hospitals are very dangerous places for older people). More money wouldn't help us in this situation...one we don't have the staff and we would just end up building bigger and bigger warehouses of older people with little hope of them getting home in a timely way. Just reinforcing the cycle.

Please be patient with us during this time though. It's true that at least for us this is the best we have ever prepared. But it was never going to be enough in a system that doesn't work for our frailest. It's relentless and unprecented but everyone is doing Thier best.
As someone new to the system this has been my observation as well, 80-90% of our patients are 70+ and of course you have to care for the elderly but it it is just putting an insane amount of stress on the system

Ramshock

I have empathy but look my old mother has early onset dimentia and she never misses an appointment because they are either pinned up on the wall or written in a calendar
Exactly Geebs, Im as liberal as the next one on here and not for anyone paying for health care but this is to save the NHS not to punish people I wish @Mozza would see that.

JustAFan

Because mistakes happen and you'd punish people who often have very little
Mistakes happen, and when you make them you need to be responsible for them. Unless I have already pointed out there are extenuating circumstances (IE real issues that cause you to miss an appointment not just being shit at life and forgetting).

And missed appointments can punish people who are actually sick and can't get in to see a Doc, but I guess that is okay with you.

Ramshock

Mistakes happen, and when you make them you need to be responsible for them. Unless I have already pointed out there are extenuating circumstances (IE real issues that cause you to miss an appointment not just being shit at life and forgetting).

And missed appointments can punish people who are actually sick and can't get in to see a Doc, but I guess that is okay with you.
Thats basically the issue

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Mozza, not everyone who misses appointments will have memory problems. It will cut down a huge amount of waste and time loss. Its a very simple idea and everyone has a way of being notified. They even ring you a day or two before ffs.
16 million adults with less than £100 in savings. You'll need a system of payment and one of recovery if payment isn't made

Ramshock

He clearly doesnt give a shit

JustAFan

I once, I say ONCE, forgot my wife's birthday. Well did not really forget, just failed to realize that the date had already arrived. Nobody's fault but my own, I was 25 at the time, an adult who should have done better. I paid for that mistake, let me tell you. My own fault though.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Just out of interest, from where did the Government get that one billion pounds that was given to the DUP?

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know

You'll need a dispute resolution mechanism to prove someone missed an appointment for a good reason and not a bad one. Do you take a person at their word or do you presume guilt unless they can prove otherwise? If they plead povertyhow much proof would they need to bring?

Ramshock

You'll need a dispute resolution mechanism to prove someone missed an appointment for a good reason and not a bad one. Do you take a person at their word or do you presume guilt unless they can prove otherwise? If they plead povertyhow much proof would they need to bring?
You incapable of understanding that people can call or walk in? You ignoring me telling you clinics call you to confirm the day before?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'm working in A&E at the moment.

It's fecking mayhem. It's not safe. I have to examine patients with 20 eyes on the patient because there's no cover.

It's in a rut. What's worse is that half the people don't even need to be there.

You have no idea how many times the elderly get dropped off by their selfish families over Christmas because they are unable to cope at home. People treat hospitals like a free care home around these times.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Mozza its a fecking phone call or walk into the clinic, they even call you the day before to make sure. There is no excuse.
What if something else comes up, family emergency, kids sick. Phone got nicked.

How will you collect payment and if you can't do you get ballifs involved?

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
You incapable of understanding that people can call or walk in? You ignoring me telling you clinics call you to confirm the day before?
I understand but if they don't call and they can't afford the £10 what are you going to do for payment and will you get the baliffs involved?

Silva

People miss outpatient appointments, not A&E visits and operations. Fining people for missing appointments, even if it improves the attendance rate, does nothing to alleviate the major problems highlighted here.

Ramshock

What if something else comes up, family emergency, kids sick. Phone got nicked.

How will you collect payment and if you can't do you get ballifs involved?
Mozza you are being obtuse and ridiculous. So feck the other patients who needed that appointment yes? Stop worrying about payment mechanisms and worry about how easy it is to contact the clinic to say you cant make it. It would literally save the NHS with that.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Mozza you are being obtuse and ridiculous. So feck the other patients who needed that appointment yes? Stop worrying about payment mechanisms and worry about how easy it is to contact the clinic to say you cant make it. It would literally save the NHS with that.
Your simple solution isn't.

It really wouldn't save the NHS, lack of social care for the elderly is what's killing the NHS, not missed appointments

Silva

It's a massive exaggeration saying it would save the NHS. It would cause a minor increase in the attendance rate, and put some people off appointments. It would have a minor effect on a wellbeing of the NHS and a major effect on people with anxiety disorders or who otherwise don't want to be a burden.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Hospital appointments aren't like a trip to the shop round the corner, they often require planning and take up hours of your day. The NHS also sends out a reminder by text as others have alluded to.

Because people see the NHS as a free service, it's a case of no harm no foul from their PoV. A cancellation fee or initial charge would encourage people to take puncuality and attendance seriously. What we have instead is wasted time on the part of staff and slots which could be taken up by other patients.

Ramshock

It's a massive exaggeration saying it would save the NHS. It would cause a minor increase in the attendance rate, and put some people off appointments. It would have a minor effect on a wellbeing of the NHS and a major effect on people with anxiety disorders or who otherwise don't want to be a burden.
Okay it wont save but it will fecking help