NHS winter 'crisis'

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Re: the winter crisis

The experience of Australia last winter already had the NHS on alert to some extent, and there were additional concerns surrouding the flu vaccine for a second year in a row IIRC.

If the pharmaceuticals firms could find a halfway effective version for the Norovirus, the situation would improve

buckooo1978

I've a mate who works for Ambulance Service - he had to deal with some seriously awful reports - waiting times for ambulances were up to 6 hours resulting in deaths

what kind of society do we live in

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Hospital appointments aren't like a trip to the shop round the corner, they often require planning and take up hours of your day. The NHS also sends out a reminder by text as others have alluded to.

Because people see the NHS as a free service, it's a case of no harm no foul from their PoV. A cancellation fee or initial charge would encourage people to take puncuality and attendance seriously. What we have instead is wasted time on the part of staff and slots which could be taken up by other patients.
People often don't have money

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Come on, it was an obvious penalty.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Mozza wants people to wait longer to see a doctor for the sake of a text or phone call. Got it!
It's a minor problem in the grand scheme of the NHS. I'm not happy that people miss appointments, it's rude, but to start fining people will be a waste of time and money.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
You're purposefully missing the point now.
No I am not, I am saying there are people who arent on the poverty line who dont cancel appointments and abuse the system. You and Mozzas argument rests entirely on a fraction of people who may be too sick to either call or text or ask someone to call or text or even answer the courtesy call given to them before said appointment. You dont want anyone to take responsibility. Golden Wonder mentioned a relative with memory issues who still made the effort to handle their appointments. This cost issue is a side track and is entirely avoidable for a one minute phonecall or a text. Not buying your crap.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
You need to tone it down a little bit. He's not stealing your kidney, he's pointing out the logical flaws in your argument.
If you go back you notice he started with just not thinking anyone should be expected to make a call to cancel an appointment they can't make. He only jumped to the poor people arguement after the flaws in his arguement were pointed out. He is trying to score points by moving the goalposts.

SteveJ

Scout
This is the row that never ends
Yes, it goes on and on, my friends...

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
No I am not, I am saying there are people who arent on the poverty line who dont cancel appointments and abuse the system. You and Mozzas argument rests entirely on a fraction of people who may be too sick to either call or text or ask someone to call or text or even answer the courtesy call given to them before said appointment. You dont want anyone to take responsibility. Golden Wonder mentioned a relative with memory issues who still made the effort to handle their appointments. This cost issue is a side track and is entirely avoidable for a one minute phonecall or a text. Not buying your crap.
Golden wonder didn't answer my follow up questions

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Let's cut through all this nonsense of fines and sending in some heavies over a 10-20 quid.

Charge for the appointments from outset (albeit fairly nodest), and those who fall under a certain threshold can have the sum refunded when they show up.

No, that it impacts the poorest and least likely to visit a doctor in the first place. It's an attack on the lower classes, creating an NHS where those with money get even better treatment than they already do.
But what about the poor person who could have had a sooner aappointment but didn't?

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Let's cut through all this nonsense of fines and sending in some heavies over a 10-20 quid.

Charge for the appointments from outset (albeit fairly nodest), and those who who fall under a certain threshold can have the sum refunded if and when they show up.

But what about the poor person who could have had a sooner aappointment but didn't?
What if they don't have the money to book an appointment?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It is genuinely abysmal. Truly scary stuff, I cannot believe that the 5th or 6th richest country in the world has a healthcare system that currently looks like this.

Hospitals which are full at the beginning of night shifts. Patients in A&E over 24 hours. Patients waiting over 4 hours on the back of an ambulance (with sepsis, chest pain etc etc). Patients waiting at home for ambulances for 6-7 hours, the same ambulances which are queuing up 10+ at the back of A&Es, waiting to be able to offload. Yesterday, I saw a patient being seen in the majors who 100% should have been in resuscitation. They simply could not be seen there cos every single bed was full the entire night.

Its a genuine shambles. A&E isn't safe. The hospital at large isn't safe. Its a shambles.

We've been warning about this stuff for ages. Its a perfect storm. Ageing population, poor health education, chronic underfunding, a failing primary care sector and a terrible social care sector on top of more and more gaps in rotas for both doctors and nurses as the NHS becomes a less and less attractive place to work just means that it all goes wrong.

Bloody hell, how have we allowed this to happen?

SteveJ

Scout
There's no magic money tree...unless one owns the f*cking tree.

Ramshock

If you go back you notice he started with just not thinking anyone should be expected to make a call to cancel an appointment they can't make. He only jumped to the poor people arguement after the flaws in his arguement were pointed out. He is trying to score points by moving the goalposts.
Who was moving the goal posts? What is wrong with trying to get people to take responsibility in order to keep something great free and to help it work better. In this day and age not making a call or answering a call or sending a fecking text isnt beyond anyone's capability.

JustAFan

Who was moving the goal posts? What is wrong with trying to get people to take responsibility in order to keep something great free and to help it work better. In this day and age not making a call or answering a call or sending a fecking text isnt beyond anyone's capability.
Mozza was.

Remember I have been making the same arguement you have in this thread

Silva

Missed appointments cost around 0.8% (give or take 0.1) of the NHS budget. Which is obviously a lot of money, but trying to save/recuperate that money is futile and does nothing to address the biggest issues pointed out in this thread. Measures that address this should be like the one I posted a few minutes ago - ones that don't punish people financially, rather encouraging higher attendance rates.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
What if they don't have the money to book an appointment?
We're not talking about life-threatening situations here, or at least that is my understanding.

At worst i know about my St Thomas' check-ups a couple of months in advance, sometimes it is just under s yeer. If a person can't find £5-10 over such a span of time then seeing the ophthalmologist is the least of their problems, and far from the main societal issue. The truly destitute could be given financial relief; although if they nonetheless take the piss ouf ot the system, i see no reason why shouldn't be sent to the back of the line.

Ramshock

We're not talking about life-threatening situations here, or at least that is my understanding.

At worst i know about my St Thomas' check-ups a couple of months in advance, sometimes it is just under s yeer. If a person can't find £5-10 over such a span of time then seeing the ophthalmologist is the least of their problems, and far from the main societal issue. The truly destitute could be given financial relief; although if they nonetheless take the piss ouf ot the system, i see no reason why shouldn't be sent to the back of the line.
Correct we arent talking about life threatening. We are talking about people with colds or flus who make an appointment, get one for 7 to 10 days later then feel better and cant be arsed calling/texting/waking in to cancel.

Ramshock

Missed appointments cost around 0.8% (give or take 0.1) of the NHS budget. Which is obviously a lot of money, but trying to save/recuperate that money is futile and does nothing to address the biggest issues pointed out in this thread. Measures that address this should be like the one I posted a few minutes ago - ones that don't punish people financially, rather ones that encourage higher attendance rates.
Again Silva, a point you seem to like to miss, its about TIME and money and about people who have to wait longer for the sake of a phone call.

JustAFan

It is genuinely abysmal. Truly scary stuff, I cannot believe that the 5th or 6th richest country in the world has a healthcare system that currently looks like this.

Hospitals which are full at the beginning of night shifts. Patients in A&E over 24 hours. Patients waiting over 4 hours on the back of an ambulance (with sepsis, chest pain etc etc). Patients waiting at home for ambulances for 6-7 hours, the same ambulances which are queuing up 10+ at the back of A&Es, waiting to be able to offload. Yesterday, I saw a patient being seen in the majors who 100% should have been in resuscitation. They simply could not be seen there cos every single bed was full the entire night.

Its a genuine shambles. A&E isn't safe. The hospital at large isn't safe. Its a shambles.

We've been warning about this stuff for ages. Its a perfect storm. Ageing population, poor health education, chronic underfunding, a failing primary care sector and a terrible social care sector on top of more and more gaps in rotas for both doctors and nurses as the NHS becomes a less and less attractive place to work just means that it all goes wrong.

Bloody hell, how have we allowed this to happen?
It's not shock when you start working the supply side to meet only low end demand. In the US we have serious issues in many places where any sort of spike in people needing care is going to over-tax the system. Now granted you can't staff to the worst case scenarios but you have to do better. The yearly flu season should not be a huge tax on the health system.