NHS winter 'crisis'

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'd be well up for paying more tax.
As would I, and most of the people I speak to. It was one the disappointing thing about Labour's manifesto in that they were only increasing taxes on the well off. I'd increase taxes across the board and plough money into the NHS, Social Care and Education.

Sadly, I feel a large portion of the country want taxes to remain low whilst still expecting a fully functioning free healthcare system. Something has to give eventually.

Classical Mechanic

Nice to hear the NHS is more efficient than at least one other country's anyway. And of course we should try and make it even more so, but that aside I vote higher taxes!
The NHS was ranked as the best national healthcare service in Europe in some study IIRC. That was on a per capita basis though, I think we spend less than most other countries on it.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
As would I, and most of the people I speak to. It was one the disappointing thing about Labour's manifesto in that they were only increasing taxes on the well off. I'd increase taxes across the board and plough money into the NHS, Social Care and Education.

Sadly, I feel a large portion of the country want taxes to remain low whilst still expecting a fully functioning free healthcare system. Something has to give eventually.
The selfish people that really just don't want to pay taxes counter with two myths, firstly the problem's too big, increased taxes wouldn't help; and secondly it's not lack of money that's the problem, it's inefficiency in how it's spent. These myths help them feel better and less, well, selfish, than they actually are.

The NHS was ranked as the best national healthcare service in Europe in some study IIRC. That was on a per capita basis though, I think we spend less than most other countries on it.
Thanks, I was kind of fishing for back-up :)

Classical Mechanic

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Yeah, looking at the last paragraph:

The authors said there could be at least two explanations for the poor performance of the larger Beveridge countries. The first, they suggested, could be that public organisations do not offer the compensation and other incentives required to recruit the type of “world-class” managers needed to handle such a large organisation effectively. The other could be political interference getting in the way of decisions that should be focused on the patient.

I'm not sure what they mean by political interference but I suggest not having at least one reorganisation with every new government would be a good start, and listening to the managers and allowing them to manage would also help.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
I'm a bit over in average in terms of wealth and income, but I wouldn't be happy to pay more tax. I work hard and hate it. I lived with my in laws for a decade to save money. I don't do these things to pay for other people to have free stuff. I'm not saying I don't support the welfare state, but within reason. I'd rather target those that are an unnecessary burden on it, as in my opinion they are the ones who are stopping unfortunate people from getting the help they need.
Why do you think you should pay less tax than most western European countries that have excellent health services ?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Listening to Iain Dale yesterday evening, and he was saying that year-on-year flu-related admissions are up 190%.

It's easy to say sometimes. Many families have 2 parents working full time to get by. I personally consider that a failure of our economic model. Whilst we can't fix that long term, maybe the government could offer employers like a sick relative incentive, like in the same model as maternity pay.
Something i suggested in the Westminster thread, was a form of paid statutory carers' leave for those in work. You'd be entitled to a minimum number of days each year like with parental rights. The Tories did consider a more wishy-washy version, although there was no money behind it and remains on the drawing board.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yeah, while there's obviously a lot of room for complaints due to severe problems, underfunding, inefficiency etc, it's easy to forget that (generally speaking) it's still an absolutely fantastic service filled with dedicated and hard-working people.

mitChley

A&E should be really for emergencies but now it’s like gps encourage you to go there to get access to the system.

They should have more nhs drop in centres to cater for things that aren’t an emergency
In Sheffield they are closing both the Walk in Centre & Minor Injuries Unit. A friend is a Dr and she says the advice now is GP, or A&E for anything.

Fully Fledged

Yep.
I'll never understand how they get in. They say that we need to cut costs so that we don't leave debt to our children.
Our children need to live long enough to inherit the debt.

My local hospital's maternity ward is in special measures. We are endangering our children before they are even born.

Smores

I'm in a red zone according to the flu map :nervous:

If this aussie flu epidemic is as bad as feared then it really could be a breaking point for the NHS. You just know the Tories would blame punlic servants and inefficiencies though

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Yep.
I'll never understand how they get in. They say that we need to cut costs so that we don't leave debt to our children.
Our children need to live long enough to inherit the debt.

My local hospital's maternity ward is in special measures. We are endangering our children before they are even born.
You should consider yourself fortunate that Labour and the subsequent Coalition government left you with a maternity unit at all; they weren't so generous hereabouts.

Until some peoople understand that the NHS faces challengs which transcend party tribalism, we're not going to make any worthwhile progress on the matter.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
You should consider yourself fortunate that Labour and the subsequent Coalition government left you with a maternity unit at all; they weren't so generous hereabouts.

Until some peoople understand that the NHS faces challengs which transcend party tribalism, we're not going to make any worthwhile progress on the matter.
It's almost as if there's a particular political party who have pursued austerity, cost-cutting measures while in government...

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Or if you do actually prefer tribalism...
I'm not saying I necessarily prefer tribalism. Or that there aren't plenty of things Labour can be blamed for, because I'm sure a lot of the current inefficiencies are things that have existed from long before the coalition government stepped in.

But at the same time, it's not particularly difficult to see why people will put the majority of the blame on the party who have been in government for nearly a decade now, and who are ideologically driven towards lower taxes and a smaller state in a time when the NHS also happens to be struggling. And again...simply putting more money into the NHS isn't necessarily a catch-all solution that's going to fix all of its problems, but at the same time it's easy to see why people are sceptical when we look at broken pay cap promises, and Hunt's tone deaf handling of the junior doctor strikes, and things like the Tories insisting we need a seven-day NHS when we already have one.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I'm not saying I necessarily prefer tribalism. Or that there aren't plenty of things Labour can be blamed for, because I'm sure a lot of the current inefficiencies are things that have existed from long before the coalition government stepped in.

But at the same time, it's not particularly difficult to see why people will put the majority of the blame on the party who have been in government for nearly a decade now, and who are ideologically driven towards lower taxes and a smaller state in a time when the NHS also happens to be struggling. And again...simply putting more money into the NHS isn't necessarily a catch-all solution that's going to fix all of its problems, but at the same time it's easy to see why people are sceptical when we look at broken pay cap promises, and Hunt's tone deaf handling of the junior doctor strikes, and things like the Tories insisting we need a seven-day NHS when we already have one.
And voters need to step up themselves. From a financial standpoint, in how they look after their own relations (social care), and with regards to personal health.

Figures aren't bang up to date but the trend is obvious.
They are also somewhat misleading. For example, what were Labour's intended spending commitments for the NHS during the period 2010-2017? IIRC, both Cameron and Clegg pledged significantly greater sums then did Miliband in 2015. Whereas last year, Corbyn proposed to spend billions in excess of the rest (although still short of what the NHS claims it needs).

How much of the spending from 1997-2005 was effective in the long run: PFI indebted hospitals, botched computerisation attempts, layers of middle management which were ultimately removed, community hospitals closed in favour of expensive monoliths e.t.c.

Additionally, many of those countries further up the graph supplement their health expenditure with a higher proportion of private funding (blasphemy for NHS orthodoxy).

I think a good starting point for Health and other ministerial departments in the future, would be some % of GDP minimums. We already observe one for DfID, and sort of do so with Defence if barely.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know

NHS needs money. Tories want tax cuts. Priorities

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Exactly, it's prehistoric compared to most other Western European health services - want a good service, pay for it.

People trying to blame it on the flu epidemic, don't other countries have flu epidemics?
We have one right now, no problem whatsoever. My doc even told me he was less busy during flu epidemics as everyone knows what they've got.

Fully Fledged

There's one in France too. We also have old people.
I live in the middle of the deep countryside, an extremely rural area and there are seven hospitals within half and hour's drive
The French health system is the best that I have personally had any dealing with. There may be a better one out there but I have had no interaction with it.

redmeister

Why do you think you should pay less tax than most western European countries that have excellent health services ?
Because I'm not happy to pay the cost of people shoving food in their fat faces! I'm not prepared to listen to some political rants about NHS cuts, when they have nothing to say about the public. 27% of this country is obese. According the chart above France and Sweden spend about 1-1.5% more of their GDP's on their health services. Yet in France the obesity rate is 17% and Sweden it's just 12%.

According to the Telegraph we now spend more on obesity related illness than on the police or fire service.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ng-obesity-related-conditions-than-on-the-po/

Minimalist

Because I'm not happy to pay the cost of people shoving food in their fat faces! I'm not prepared to listen to some political rants about NHS cuts, when they have nothing to say about the public. 27% of this country is obese. According the chart above France and Sweden spend about 1-1.5% more of their GDP's on their health services. Yet in France the obesity rate is 17% and Sweden it's just 12%.

According to the Telegraph we now spend more on obesity related illness than on the police or fire service.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ng-obesity-related-conditions-than-on-the-po/
Real shame we're so desperate to 'go our own way' then isn't it? Sounds like Britain could learn a thing or two from other EU cultures.

Regardless the obesity/smoking/drinking thing is a smokescreen in the long-term. The chronic cases don't live as long as healthy as people and the finances work out.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

The single biggest issue facing the NHS right now isn't obesity but the fact that we have an ageing population who are living much longer than previous generations and who are therefore requiring a lot more care.

And obviously obesity remains a major problem, but arguing that your taxes are going to help people stuffing their 'fat faces' is basically you justifying not wanting to pay more tax by highlighting one specific area of health. And I'm not saying you necessarily should want to pay more taxes, because I've got no doubt you already pay plenty and it's extremely frustrating when they're spent inefficiently, as can often be the case with public services. But health spans far beyond obesity.

And anyway, if you're going to cut down obesity then education is needed. Obviously it isn't good for people to be overweight but it's easy to see why people fall into such lifestyles when they may be fed a poor diet in their younger years at home and when they're surrounded by a consumer-based culture which has major food retailers constantly barraging them to buy their products on the TV and various other media outlets. And it's often a major problem for people from poor backgrounds due to the fact that cheap fast food is often a lot more affordable than a balanced and varied diet.

redmeister

The single biggest issue facing the NHS right now isn't obesity but the fact that we have an ageing population who are living much longer than previous generations and who are therefore requiring a lot more care.

And obviously obesity remains a major problem, but arguing that your taxes are going to help people stuffing their 'fat faces' is basically you justifying not wanting to pay more tax by highlighting one specific area of health. And I'm not saying you necessarily should want to pay more taxes, because I've got no doubt you already pay plenty and it's extremely frustrating when they're spent inefficiently, as can often be the case with public services. But health spans far beyond obesity.

And anyway, if you're going to cut down obesity then education is needed. Obviously it isn't good for people to be overweight but it's easy to see why people fall into such lifestyles when they may be fed a poor diet in their younger years at home and when they're surrounded by a consumer-based culture which has major food retailers constantly barraging them to buy their products on the TV and various other media outlets. And it's often a major problem for people from poor backgrounds due to the fact that cheap fast food is often a lot more affordable than a balanced and varied diet.
We can't do anything about ageing, but we can do something about obesity. I'm saying that instead of people paying more tax, we should looking at ways we can be more healthy and then not cost so much, so we have more to spend on illness we don't cause ourselves. No one ever seems to have the same venom towards the public that they do political parties and when it comes to public spending, usually the tories.

Blackwidow

We can't do anything about ageing, but we can do something about obesity. I'm saying that instead of people paying more tax, we should looking at ways we can be more healthy and then not cost so much, so we have more to spend on illness we don't cause ourselves. No one ever seems to have the same venom towards the public that they do political parties and when it comes to public spending, usually the tories.
You do not solve problems like this. The biggest costs in the health system are old people. Like this people just are older when they have the health problems - does not help with health costs overall but increases pension costs for everybody. That is why poorer people have a lower life expectancy rate. Has a lot to do with education and lifestyle, too.

You for sure do not solve the problems with putting less money into the system - you would have to put much more into it.

redmeister

You do not solve problems like this. The biggest costs in the health system are old people. Like this people just are older when they have the health problems - does not help with health costs overall but increases pension costs for everybody. That is why poorer people have a lower life expectancy rate. Has a lot to do with education and lifestyle, too.

You for sure do not solve the problems with putting less money into the system - you would have to put much more into it.
But less wouldn't be going into it. More would be available for old people.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Given the size of the problem, how about doing both? Tackling obesity and paying more taxes? I'm willing to do my bit.

redmeister

Given the size of the problem, how about doing both? Tackling obesity and paying more taxes? I'm willing to do my bit.
I think there is a bit of a catch 22 type situation. Let's say we do both those things, then people are going to live even longer. Then we aren't going to have enough money in the NHS!

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man

Fukc me, that post sums up whats wrong with uk in a nutshell.

Kag

People don't blame the public (those that do, tend to vote Tory) because the public isn't at fault.

The government has already mercilessly and systematically decimated the disabled in Britain, increasing numbers of whom have killed themselves out of desperation.

Concurrently, they are actively underfunding the NHS, demoralising the service and are deserving of the full backlash heading their way.

Blaming fat Bob down the road because he drinks too many pints, or dizzy Doris because she missed her appointment, just completely misses the wider issue.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Albeit based on an experience from over a year go, but the London Ambulance Service would at least try to get a paramedic car or bike to a call-out; that individual seemingly takes point and advises control as to the precise urgency. If we didn't have the first medic on scene we might well have taken the decision to drive to a hospital. In this most depressing casem the woman was all alone and had no such alternative. :(

Some years ago, before Chase Farm Hospoital waas gutted by Labour and the Coalition, an ambulance responded within 10 minutes to a severe anxity attack (although we didn't know it was that at the time). These days...who knows.

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
People don't blame the public (those that do, tend to vote Tory) because the public isn't at fault.

The government has already mercilessly and systematically decimated the disabled in Britain, increasing numbers of whom have killed themselves out of desperation.

Concurrently, they are actively underfunding the NHS, demoralising the service and are deserving of the full backlash heading their way.

Blaming fat Bob down the road because he drinks too many pints, or dizzy Doris because she missed her appointment, just completely misses the wider issue.
In one. Many fall for the same old, tired, blame-shifting trick every time.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Sack off the majority of the middle and upper management and use the money saved to recruit doctors and nurses.

Bring back the old style matron that used to run the ward with an iron fist.

I read the other day that the average NHS maintenance contract has a light bulb change charged at £50!!

I’d be all for introducing a NHS card for all British born people too. Even a system where when you are admitted/seen in A&E you give your national insurance number for them to check you are a British citizen. Hundreds of million of NHS money is spent on foreign day trippers looking to abuse free health care.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
The Tories won’t be happy until the NHS is replaced with private care.

I hope the people that voted them in aren’t now the ones complaining about the NHS.

Sweet Square

I’d be all for introducing a NHS card for all British born people too. Even a system where when you are admitted/seen in A&E you give your national insurance number for them to check you are a British citizen. Hundreds of million of NHS money is spent on foreign day trippers looking to abuse free health care.
Er..........

1) You sound like the BNP(Or New Labour - "British jobs for British people")

2)The NHS is dependent on the work of migrants. You want people to work for a system but at the same time stopping them for accessing it due to their nationality.

3)Your suggestion seems very unpopular with people who work in the NHS - https://www.theguardian.com/society...ism-claims-distraction-from-nhs-real-problems

4)And finally there is very little concert evidence that "health tourism" cost the NHS hundreds of million of pounds - https://www.theguardian.com/politics/reality-check/2013/oct/22/health-tourists-costing-nhs-2bn