Nicholas Williams | Bilbao winger

zaafi

Inaki Williams' younger brother. 21 years old that can play both left and right wing to a very high level.

He just had another fantastic performance against Atletico Madrid earlier today. Got a penalty for his team that they missed and scored a world class goal (almost two). He has got tremendous pace and great dribbling ability.

One of the most exciting players I've seen for some time and you get the feeling something is going to happen every time he gets the ball. We should be all over this guy, and I think it's unbelievable how under the radar this guy goes. Apparently only €50m release clause as well.

Uniquim

Signed a new deal until 2027 just 2 weeks ago, and his brother signed a 9-year contract a couple of years ago. Iñaki is 100% staying until he retires, and I kind of think Nico will be staying at Bilbao too. The club inspires a lot of loyalty in basque players.

zaafi

Signed a new deal until 2027 just 2 weeks ago, and his brother signed a 9-year contract a couple of years ago. Iñaki is 100% staying until he retires, and I kind of think Nico will be staying at Bilbao too. The club inspires a lot of loyalty in basque players.
His contract was about to expire, and you'd think he might have bigger ambitions than Athletic Club the rest of his career, especially because he didn't renew it for 5 years and he is destined to become a better player than Iñaki.

Definitely worth looking into!

Uniquim

His contract was about to expire, and you'd think he might have bigger ambitions than Athletic Club the rest of his career, especially because he didn't renew it for 5 years and he is destined to become a better player than Iñaki.

Definitely worth looking into!
Iñaki had interest from Liverpool, United and others too. Apparently both clubs were in touch about a transfer. Muniain is another that could've moved, but stayed on. It's hard to say what Nico will do, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up staying. Called his new contract a dream come through, and mentioned how he'd been at the club since 11 and all that. For most clubs I'd disregard it as lip service, but with Bilbao you do see a lot of players staying, and a lot of those who leave and up wanting to go back later on.

If he does move, I'd love to have him at United though.

didz

His contract negotiations dragged on for a very long time and, judging by the fairly low release clause, it would seem that that was the point of contention. I definitely don't see him being a Bilbao lifer like his brother. Whether or not he moves next summer, he's purposely ensured that he'll have offers.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don’t know much about him but based on the clips what I like is that he seems to not he perturbed by congested spaces. Our biggest requirement in summers to come is adding players who don’t fall apart under the slightest bit of stress and aggression from defenders.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Iñaki had interest from Liverpool, United and others too. Apparently both clubs were in touch about a transfer. Muniain is another that could've moved, but stayed on.
Neither was this clearly talented. Iñaki was ultimately Athletic level, Muniain at his best might have gone a step further to somewhere like Manchester United Sevilla or Napoli or Borussia Dortmund. Nico, he could go to an Arsenal/Liverpool and play(well, not arsenal exactly, martinelli and saka are better, but you get the point hopefully). Honestly the way he's playing this season, he could end up at City even

I really hope he stays at Athletic his whole career. Them being a CL side on a semi-permanent basis would be cool

SAFMUTD

Amazing goal against Barca also an assist, definitely a top talent quick as feck as well.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
His buyout is 50m euros / £43m despite signing a new contract until 2027, a lot of clubs have shown an interest in him, including the big two in Spain and Villa and Liverpool.

SAF is the GOAT

He's above average winger imo, so I don't see why this over-excitement

plus he plays mainly as an LW and we need a natural RW, enough with the experiments

DomesticTadpole

He's above average winger imo, so I don't see why this over-excitement

plus he plays mainly as an LW and we need a natural RW, enough with the experiments

People are probably looking that Garnacho seems more productive from the right and Rashford seems really off his game and Antony isn't productive from anywhere. Don't want him to move from Bilbao to be honest as they are starting to bring in younger players, but don't want him going to a club here unless it is us, thing is apart from a bigger wage not sure what we can offer him at the moment. We would need to sell the club is on the up and has big ambitions.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
His buyout is 50m euros / £43m despite signing a new contract until 2027, a lot of clubs have shown an interest in him, including the big two in Spain and Villa and Liverpool.
How cheap! Let's see if Athletic enters the Champions League, an incentive not to be tempted.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Bilbao players rarely leave. His brother is still there and he was touted as a good talent years ago

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Bilbao players rarely leave. His brother is still there and he was touted as a good talent years ago
He probably wouldn't have had his agent negotiate a release clause that low if he was set on being a Bilbao lifer.

Might have bigger ambitions than just being another Muniain. At least it seems he's given himself options.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
While there does seem to be some cult-like loyalty amongst many of their players they don't actually all stay there. For example Laporte, Kepa, Herrera and Javi Martinez have all left when big moves were offered.

I would think many Basque players (or players with some Basque heritage) definitely prefer playing at Athletic as opposed to some other clubs of similar level but in the last decade or so maybe apart from Muniain and Inaki Williams the ones who've attracted interest in the top European clubs have ended up leaving.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
They also make sure the players get a good wage, because their market pool is very small and they have to give them good conditions. They can only get players from a small part of Spain and France, and most people who live in the Basque Country but outside of Bilbao and San Sebastian metropolitan area couldn't care less to represent a basque club.

It's been a while since the last french basque player, though. (Lizarazu who was an amazing left back).

DomesticTadpole

They also make sure the players get a good wage, because their market pool is very small and they have to give them good conditions. They can only get players from a small part of Spain and France, and most people who live in the Basque Country but outside of Bilbao and San Sebastian metropolitan area couldn't care less to represent a basque club.

It's been a while since the last french basque player, though. (Lizarazu who was an amazing left back).
Laporte was French basque wasn't he?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Laporte was French basque wasn't he?
I don't think he is, but he qualified to play for Bilbao as he was a youth player at Bayonne in the Basque country - they count players who have received their 'footballing education' in the Basque country as being Basque.

I think players like Griezmann and Le Normand would technically be eligible to play for them as well due to coming through at Sociedad, despite not being born Basque.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Dream signing to be the long term guy on the opposite wing to Garnacho. Don't see it happening but he's class.

A proper quality, modern winger who can play either side, can go inside or outside, can take on his fullback relentlessly and is suited to the prem with his pace and strength and actual explosiveness. He's the type of player Sir Alex would've been all over.

DomesticTadpole

I don't think he is, but he qualified to play for Bilbao as he was a youth player at Bayonne in the Basque country - they count players who have received their 'footballing education' in the Basque country as being Basque.

I think players like Griezmann and Le Normand would technically be eligible to play for them as well due to coming through at Sociedad, despite not being born Basque.
If they spent enough time in the youth system. They have just signed a 21 year old Senegalese left back from Osasuna who has lived there since he was four and come through Osasuna's academy system.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

They have some gimmicks to capture extra talent, but I think one of the "clauses" is that the player needs to learn basque, if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, he is born on the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region, not from the basque country. Amazing region to visit alongside with the Occitaine region if you have the chance to visti one day.

Uniquim

There was a lot of discussion among Bilbao fans as to whether Griezmann would qualify, because he was already like 14 when he arrived at Sociedad and he moved there specifically for footballing reasons. They tend to accept kids from families that move to Basque country to live there, but if they specifically move for footballing reasons that's a different case. Some thought Griezmann was eligible, and and some thought he wouldn't be. That's like 10 years ago, and Griezmann never really showed interest anyway. Think there was a presidential election later on where one candidate talked about signing Griezmann if he got elected too. He didn't get elected.

Was a bunch of discussion about Saborit as well. He moved to basque country where his mother had moved for work, and he was already 16-17 or so. Only reason he was able to play was because he moved for non-footballing reasons. But he already played for a la liga club's academy, and then immediately joined Bilbao, so not sure that one should've been allowed. There were a couple of years running where there were a few questionable policy decisions, but they've tightened it back up with the two most recent presidents.

Moving to the region to settle for non-footballing reasons, and/or spending youth years in basque country still makes players eligible though, which is fair enough. Athletic have partnerships with I think it's 175 clubs listed on their site, and they mostly recruit from those clubs, also sending coaches to different clubs now and then, and inviting the clubs to play at Lezama now and then etc and together with the club pick the best talents to join Lezama. Athletic is almost like a basque national team.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
They have some gimmicks to capture extra talent, but I think one of the "clauses" is that the player needs to learn basque, if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, he is born on the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region, not from the basque country. Amazing region to visit alongside with the Occitaine region if you have the chance to visti one day.
Bit of a stretch calling Agen "not far" from the Basque country, but I agree it's a wonderful area. It's where I grew up. :)

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Bit of a stretch calling Agen "not far" from the Basque country, but I agree it's a wonderful area. It's where I grew up. :)
It's not basque country, I agree. Everything looks closer in Google Maps.

They just used the gimmick of Laporte being part of the Bayonne squad which made him eligible to sign for Atheltic under their rules. (young players who take part of a basque club can be hired)

About your region: I love it, I try to go to there or Occitaine every year. It's a perfect mix of luscious nature landscape alongside with extremely charming and very old towns, balanced with a decently planned modernization of the bigger cities without compromising the old neighborhoods. You can really see that there was some kind of an effort to keep the old parts as original as possible.

Not to mention the amazing food, wine and spirits quality.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
About your region: I love it, I try to go to there or Occitaine every year. It's a perfect mix of luscious nature landscape alongside with extremely charming and very old towns, balanced with a decently planned modernization of the bigger cities without compromising the old neighborhoods. You can really see that there was some kind of an effort to keep the old parts as original as possible.

Not to mention the amazing food, wine and spirits quality.
Can't agree more :) (while reading your message, I thought you weren't gonna mention the food, but thank God you got there)

I always feel like the Southwest of France is a bit forgotten/underrated, the whole Southeast has great PR (Nice, St Tropez, etc.) but I think it's just as nice if not better.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Can't agree more :) (while reading your message, I thought you weren't gonna mention the food, but thank God you got there)

I always feel like the Southwest of France is a bit forgotten/underrated, the whole Southeast has great PR (Nice, St Tropez, etc.) but I think it's just as nice if not better.
Much better IMO. And I've been in both places. Southeast has the Mediterranean coast and some remnants of the italian architecture, but in terms of beauty of the villages and cities there's clearly no comparison.
Curiously, the place I enjoyed the most in the southeast was St Paul de Vence and Eze.