Nick Ajose

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
A player who rarely seems to get a mention on here when discussing the more promising young players at the club (i cant even find a previous thread on him). How does everyone think he is progressing at the club and at this moment in time do you think its likely he will have a future here?

I must admit to not having seen an awful lot of him, but he seems to have come up well through the ranks, scoring a number of goals and setting up countless others. He's got a good left foot, plenty of pace and skill, and decent crossing and shooting ability, so i'd have thought we wouldnt have too many players in the first team squad currently that fit that description.

I guess his aim this season would be regular reserve team football with perhaps a loan move next season. What do the rest of you make of him?

datura

He's a talented player, but fell under the radar a bit until last season when he really imposed himself as a senior player in the Academy and was one of the top performers.

There was an interview with one of the coaches where he alluded to his attitude not necessarily being the best in the past, but he'd really knuckled down and worked hard at his game and reaped the benefits last year.

It will be interesting to see how he adapts to reserve football, where he'll need to establish himself again. He struggled against Oldham to impose himself (the goal was lucky) and he'll need to continue to work at his game and hopefully he'll have a good season as we haven't produced too many quality wide players in recent years.

He's right footed, but comfortable using his left also.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
He's a talented player, but fell under the radar a bit until last season when he really imposed himself as a senior player in the Academy and was one of the top performers.

There was an interview with one of the coaches where he alluded to his attitude not necessarily being the best in the past, but he'd really knuckled down and worked hard at his game and reaped the benefits last year.

It will be interesting to see how he adapts to reserve football, where he'll need to establish himself again. He struggled against Oldham to impose himself (the goal was lucky) and he'll need to continue to work at his game and hopefully he'll have a good season as we haven't produced too many quality wide players in recent years.

He's right footed, but comfortable using his left also.
Interesting that, because whenever i saw him over here in Northern Ireland at the Milk Cup i couldnt work out which was his best foot. He always played on the left when i seen him, but always seemed to go outside of his man rather than cut inside. That is why i assumed he was left footed. Certainly an advantage to be able to play well with both feet.

Datura, would you say he is the most promising wide player coming through the ranks, or would that be Robbie Brady? Most of the young players we're producing at the minute seem to be either central midfield players, or centre forwards. We dont seem to be producing many wingers.

datura

Interesting that, because whenever i saw him over here in Northern Ireland at the Milk Cup i couldnt work out which was his best foot. He always played on the left when i seen him, but always seemed to go outside of his man rather than cut inside. That is why i assumed he was left footed. Certainly an advantage to be able to play well with both feet.

Datura, would you say he is the most promising wide player coming through the ranks, or would that be Robbie Brady? Most of the young players we're producing at the minute seem to be either central midfield players, or centre forwards. We dont seem to be producing many wingers.
Having two good feet is always a great bonus for a winger as it makes them less predictable. If you watch him dribble, he favours his right foot.

Ajose and Brady are both good wide players. Brady has been unlucky with injuries since he's joined the club. Whenever he's really started to impress he's got injured! He has a hint of Keane about him, he's extremely competitive and physical for a wide player and enjoys getting stuck in. I could potentially see him moving centrally.

We haven't got a natural winger in the Academy this season with Brady and Ajose moving up to the reserves - Lawrence is a striker playing wide, and Cole is better centrally. Van Velzen should partially solve this when he is cleared to play, and Barmby might get some games as well, although is still an u16 player.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
there are clear problems down the line in terms of who we already have but I rare him because of his consistancy. He's very underrated. You don't have to be overly flash if your functional. He's consistantly our most consistant winger as opposed to someone like Stewart who is more flash but way more inconsistant.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Bizarre comparison Chief.

I quite like Ajose but in all honesty can't see him making it. He has a lot of work to do. He's definitely good enough to have a pro career, but I just see him not quite being special enough for the top level. Who knows though? I didn't think Cleverley would get anywhere a couple of years ago but he has really gone from strength to strength.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
But Ajose is a winger/striker, Milner a midfielder/winger. Ajose tricky, Milner more about power. They are really very different players, even if you account for the obvious difference in the level they're playing at.

x42bn6

Bury sign Manchester United youngster Nicky Ajose

League Two promotion chasers Bury have signed Manchester United youngster Nicky Ajose on a one-month loan deal.

United Under-18s coach Paul McGuinness, son of former Red Devils boss Wilf, told Bury's website: "Nicky has been with us in the Academy for a long time.

"He is a very exciting player and has the ability to beat defenders with his pace or skill."

The Bury-born forward, 18, signed his first professional deal with United in the summer of 2009.

Ajose made his Shakers debut in Saturday's 2-0 win at Cheltenham, coming on for the final 10 minutes when he replaced six-goal top scorer Ryan Lowe.

That victory put Bury, who made the League Two play-offs under boss Alan Knill two seasons ago and just missed out on the final day last term, up to sixth in the table.
BBC Sport - Football - Bury sign Manchester United youngster Nicky Ajose

x42bn6

We signed Nicky Ajose late on Friday and he's actually a Bury born lad, obviously Manchester United got to him before we did.He's been with them since he was 12 or 14.He played against our reserves on Monday and did really well, he looks really sharp.Then he played again on Wednesday against Bolton reserves and scored a hat trick.We had already mentioned to Manchester United that we were looking at him, we are fortunate that we have quite a good relationship with them and I am extremely thankful that they have allowed us to have him.Its part of his development, he's only with us a month, but within that month, he will see exactly what league two football is all about.

He has blistering pace and an eye for a goal, he also has a really good work ethic about him.We are delighted to have him; he just adds quality to what I think is a pretty good squad anyway.We did the deal late on Friday afternoon and he actually only met up with us as we got on the bus on Saturday morning.'
Bury | Match | Managers Comments | Managers Comments | The clean sheet is massive for us

Typographer needs to be fired

Girish II

There's a full league fixture tonight, lots to look out for. Ajose's Bury are away to Morecombe

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Really like the lad since I got chatting to him on the metro to OT a couple of seasons back. Came across as a likeable and sensible kid.

Love to see him make it here but there's a long way to go and who knows......

datura

Goal and an assist - snippets from the Beeb report:

'The hosts took the lead when Ryan Lowe finished well after good work from Nicky Ajose, Lowe then doubled the lead after a smart cut-back by Phil Picken.'

'After the break, Ajose latched on to a long ball from Shakers keeper Cameron Belford before firing home.'

'Manchester United loanee Ajose starred for the hosts, his fine individual goal capping an excellent performance.'

Picken was a United youth player too.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Goal and an assist - snippets from the Beeb report:

'The hosts took the lead when Ryan Lowe finished well after good work from Nicky Ajose, Lowe then doubled the lead after a smart cut-back by Phil Picken.'

'After the break, Ajose latched on to a long ball from Shakers keeper Cameron Belford before firing home.'

'Manchester United loanee Ajose starred for the hosts, his fine individual goal capping an excellent performance.'

Picken was a United youth player too.
Can only go on doing a good job and his professionalism will come to the notice of SAF.Like to see him step up to the Championship in time.

prateik

A neat pass from Michael Jones on 33 minutes set up Nicky Ajose on the left of the box, but his low drive was blocked by Dunbavin.

GOAL! Bury's lead was extended to three goals on 56 minutes after a long ball forward from Cameron Belford was missed by Dean Winnard and left Nicky Ajose free with space to run at the goal, one on one with Dunbavin. He took his time, composed a shot from the right of the box after rounding the keeper and finished the effort with style.

Ryan Lowe came close to claiming his hat trick on 84 minutes after Ajose squared the ball to him from the left of the box, but Dunbavin got down quickly to take the ball from his feet.

Moments later and Ajose almost made it four as Bennett set him up outside the box, but he curled it wide of the right post.

from the bury official match report

Drifter

American
Bury boss Alan Knill concedes he's likely to lose on-loan Manchester United striker Nicky Ajose when his loan expires at the end of the month.

Such has been the 19-year-old’s impact in his five appearances so far, it appears he has played his way into Sir Alex Ferguson’s plans for the Carling Cup game against Wolves at the end of this month – ending any hopes of extending his deal for now.

Knill would certainly be happy to keep the Bury-born teenager if United changed their mind, but is also pragmatic enough to know the potential long-term benefits of sending a player back to Old Trafford who has blossomed under his tutelage.

“We’re quite lucky to have him because he’s a very good player,” the Shakers boss told the Bury Times.

“He could play a lot higher than League Two but it’s important for his development that Manchester United have allowed us to have him. The deal was just for a month and we haven’t enquired because, firstly, he’s their player and we’re thankful we’ve got him for a month. He could have gone to a lot of places, but he chose to come to us.

“We’re delighted to have him and we’ll see from here. The main thing is that he’s developing as a player.

“I think they’ve got a plan for him and he’s their player. If they wanted to extend it, then we definitely would.”

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Seems quite speculative to suggest he will play in the CC for United. He has not really got much hope of game time IMHO. Be better off where he is.

PS18

There have been a few comments from different people on Bury's forum saying they've spoken to Nicky's agent and been told he'll be heading back to United for that CC game too.

prateik

i seriously doubt he will get game time against wolves with welbeck,hernandez and owen as backups

if he plays for us , he cant go out on loan to another club can he (3 teams in 1 season)
reckon he might go out on loan in jan to league 1

datura

i seriously doubt he will get game time against wolves with welbeck,hernandez and owen as backups

if he plays for us , he cant go out on loan to another club can he (3 teams in 1 season)
reckon he might go out on loan in jan to league 1
I assume you meant macheda?

I think he has a good shout for a place on the bench, especially if Bebe and Obertan start.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I would let him get some first team football. Imo he's still got a long way to go and the experience and confidence of playing in front of a crowd could help him. He's already got a year of reserve football under his belt as is.

datura

I would let him get some first team football. Imo he's still got a long way to go and the experience and confidence of playing in front of a crowd could help him. He's already got a year of reserve football under his belt as is.
This is his first season of reserve football and he's not always been a starter.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
This is his first season of reserve football and he's not always been a starter.
I'm sure I remember watching him last year, perhaps it was for the u18s, but I'm sure I saw him quite a lot for the reserves. If I'm mistaken then actually a full season of reserve football could do him some good.

datura

I'm sure I remember watching him last year, perhaps it was for the u18s, but I'm sure I saw him quite a lot for the reserves. If I'm mistaken then actually a full season of reserve football could do him some good.
2 starts in the Senior Cup, in which they always play a younger team, and one sub appearance for the reserves.