Nicky Butt "United will always have a massive place in my heart"

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Having spent 17 years at Old Trafford and half a dozen years playing for Newcastle, former England midfielder Nicky Butt admits he has divided loyalties when the Magpies travel to Manchester United tonight.

The 35-year-old, who was released by the Toon this summer, says he will always be United through and through but he revealed that Newcastle are also in his heart – so he hopes tonight’s game ends in a draw.

Butt, who won six league titles, three FA Cups and a Champions league at United after growing up with the likes of Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, David Beckham and the Neville brothers, said: “I spent half my life at United.
“I knew everyone inside the club from the canteen ladies and the chefs to the kit people. That made leaving very hard – the most emotional thing I’ve ever had to do.

“If you play for United week in, week out you don’t want to leave but I got to the stage where I wasn’t even second choice in midfield.

“As a professional, I knew it was time to go. It was something that had to happen. The manager was brilliant because he understood but bigger and better players than me have left United and will do in the future.

“When I was leaving I had a few choices but I only wanted to go to Newcastle. And, although I had some tough times at Newcastle with injuries, my form and the fans, there are no regrets, none at all.

“United will always have a massive place in my heart, but Newcastle has a strong place there too and that is why I hope the game ends in a draw.”

As for a possible return to the game in some capacity, Butt added: “To be honest, I’m not really fussed at the moment to go playing again or get into coaching.

“I’ve had a few calls from people wanting me to play this season but nothing that has excited me enough.”
I always liked Butt when he was here....... :)

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
He's unlucky he didn't do better with us, i.e. play even more regularly and be regarded as a star. Sadly, his career collided with the two best central midfielders this club has ever seen.

1995/6 and 1997/8 in particular were fantastic seasons for him. During the former, he was being compared to Bryan Robson and the comparisons were genuinely evident, I thought.

Mannheim Red

He's unlucky he didn't do better with us, i.e. play even more regularly and be regarded as a star. Sadly, his career collided with the two best central midfielders this club has ever seen.

1995/6 and 1997/8 in particular were fantastic seasons for him. During the former, he was being compared to Bryan Robson and the comparisons were genuinely evident, I thought.
Thats a contentious comment about the two best ever midfielders.
Whilst I wont dispute your claim about Scholes Im afraid I would have to disagree with you if you think Keane was better than Robson. Quite simply Robson was a far better all round footballer
IMO

204Red

I recall Fergie saying that one of the reasons he was able to sell Ince was that he thought Butt was a better long term option.

loyal Red servant... along with Phil Neville.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
10:30 James Tuck is out and about this morning to catch up with Treble-winning midfielder Nicky Butt. The ex-Red is meeting various members of the media, and the reason for this will soon become apparent.. Watch this space. (AB)
Have we replaced Ole yet?

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
What, so you're saying that his dream might not come true?

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
12:27 I love the suspense Adam's generated. I was at a hotel in Manchester to speak to Nicky about an exciting new venture in his career. Next weekend he's flying to Hong Kong to spend seven days with South China FC and, if he's happy, he'll be coming out of retirement to play for them for a season. It's a big leap into an alien environment and culture, and the former Red has agreed to document his week's experience, Karl Pilkington-style, for ManUtd.com and ManUnited.com.cn. More on that next week.
Update on post 11 about Nicky.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Always impresses me that most of the players who leave here talk well about the club and Ferguson. Even if they have left in acrimonious circumstances.

Not always the case with a lot of other big clubs around Europe.