Nicolas Pepe - Signs for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban

I reckon we'll get him after we secure Maguire. It's impossible to work on 2 deals at a time.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There is a difference between allowing him to leave and the "we are trying to start a bidding war" approaching that Lille has done the last few months imo. But then again, i have not followed Ligue 1 closely, nor am i as knowledgable about the league as you. So will not say i know what agreement Pepe had with the club last season regarding a future transfer.

Back on the most important topic:
1. Would you sign him to United?
2. If so, what can we expect?
3. What would you say is a fair price for him?
4. How would you compare him to Chukwueze?
They will do it because it was a massive surprise that he signed for them in the fist place, he picked them for Bielsa instead of Monaco and Lyon. So if Lille want to sign someone like him in the near future, they better make sure to not be seen as a club that would prevent players from leaving.

As for your questions, I already said that I don't know what to think other than he is a very good Ligue 1 player, I would like to see him play in continental competitions in order to have a better idea about his level and for that reason I think that an intermediary club would be ideal. In terms of price, probably around 40m and I don't know Chukwueze.

haram

Should go for Chukwueze instead. Or Ziyech.

It is a reason as for why Lille has tried to offload him this summer. They know that he is very unlikely to play at a similar level in the future in regards to quantifiable output. Better sell him now when you can get decent £££ for him. That Liverpool and Bayern has showed zero interest and denied any interest should be an indication that his goals and assist does not reflect his actual ability.
Why does no one want Ziyech then.

Fosu-Mens

They will do it because it was a massive surprise that he signed for them in the fist place, he picked them for Bielsa instead of Monaco and Lyon. So if Lille want to sign someone like him in the near future, they better make sure to not be seen as a club that would prevent players from leaving.

As for your questions, I already said that I don't know what to think other than he is a very good Ligue 1 player, I would like to see him play in continental competitions in order to have a better idea about his level and for that reason I think that an intermediary club would be ideal. In terms of price, probably around 40m and I don't know Chukwueze.
Makes sense.

40m is more realistic compared to some of the prices mentioned in the media.
I find it difficult in general to evaluate players in Ligue 1, and Pepe could be extremely good, and he could be really bad.

JPRouve

Scout
Makes sense.

40m is more realistic compared to some of the prices mentioned in the media.
I find it difficult in general to evaluate players in Ligue 1, and Pepe could be extremely good, and he could be really bad.
Bad players don't score or assist in France, there is a reason why it's the league that provides the most players to the others.

ManchesterYoda

When Salah was at Roma, he was on my list of transfer targets, left footed right sided forward, statistically a good player and young. Back then, almost everyone doubted Salah, because he was a Chelsea reject and was a "no-name". There was no hype around him. I think people doubt Pepe because he's a "no-name" playing for Lille in French league. There's no guarantee that ANY player we sign will be a success, but the odds are FAR GREATER if we sign players that are statistically good and have just had an excellent season. It's better than signing a player that is statistically average and just hoping for the best.

Fosu-Mens

Why does no one want Ziyech then.
Don't know. Big clubs put of by his lack of efficiency and willingness to shoot at all times?
Not willing to go to clubs below a certain standard?
Locadia and Depays rather unsuccessful transfers to the EPL?
Played in the ACoN, and this might have delayed something?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Is he 70m good? I've seen him play a handful of times, but never been particularly amazed.

We do need a right winger/forward, but if it's not Sancho, then at least that level of quality. Or even just a loan until we get that type of quality.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I hope this is all bollocks personally about spending £70m on him.

I just don't see a £70m player in him. Doesn't possess top level pace or dribbling ability to be a top winger.

We should try and sign Federico Chiesa if we're ready to spend big on a wide player this season. If not, then I'd rather wait another season and try and sign Sancho.

I'm even on board with Bale and Robben on loan like @Rozay suggested than sign Pepe.
Chiesa all the way even if it cost a good bit more he has a lot more potential/

Hawks2008

You fools, don't you know that Pepe bad and Sancho is the ONLY player who can improve us and he is guaranteed to sign next season.

Fosu-Mens

Bad players don't score or assist in France, there is a reason why it's the league that provides the most players to the others.
True, but it could be argued that there is a greater risk attached to signing attacking players compared to defensive players, especially players that have an individualistic playing style.

I'm not saying he is a bad player, but I'm not sure how he would perform against balanced defences. E.g. my perception of Ligue 1 is that compared to the EPL on average, the teams play with a higher risk and the number of opportunities for counters etc. are higher in France. And teams in the EPL are more focused on team balance on average.

United Pro

We do need a right winger/forward, but if it's not Sancho, then at least that level of quality. Or even just a loan until we get that type of quality.
Like who? Who could we get at the level of Sancho? Also, what players are available on loan that would improve us? Even with Bale, Madrid would want a permanent transfer.

Realistically speaking there isn't anyone at the level of Sancho (Sancho included) available this summer. So, the question is whether we don't sign a right wing/forward this summer (even if we sell Lukaku) whilst hoping Sancho joins next summer or we go for a player like Pepe this summer.

Rinnegan240

I think so.

Maybe then, I can’t exactly remember the requirements anymore. I can’t imagine him going for anywhere close to Pepe’s price, personally. They’re very different players though, I don’t think we’d be interested in both. Would be one or the other.
Chukwueze possesses better close control, dribbling ability and range passing. Also plays in a significantly much more quality league than Pepe.

However, Pepe possesses better range shooting abilities and work rate but his ability on the ball is really suspect to be honest.

Don't think he is worth €90M but this is a crazy market.

I'm not sure Villarreal have any plans of selling Chukwueze and he is rumoured to have a release clause of around €70M - €80M. Also heard Liverpool and Bayern displayed some interest but nothing much so far.

JPRouve

Scout
True, but it could be argued that there is a greater risk attached to signing attacking players compared to defensive players, especially players that have an individualistic playing style.

I'm not saying he is a bad player, but I'm not sure how he would perform against balanced defences. E.g. my perception of Ligue 1 is that compared to the EPL on average, the teams play with a higher risk and the number of opportunities for counters etc. are higher in France. And teams in the EPL are more focused on team balance on average.
Not really, the issue in Ligue 1 is that attacking players tend to leave sooner, so that's where there is a "hole", the league is bereft of good experienced attacking players. It's a lot riskier to go after defensive players because outside of the best teams, defenders will face either inexperienced and/or subpar attackers compared to Serie A, Liga and PL.

MyDevil

No way. Woody doesn't know how to negotiate 2 deals at one time, let alone 3.

ManchesterYoda

I'd like to point out that Sancho isn't a right winger. He's a winger and can play both left wing and right wing. This is important because not all wingers can.
Sancho career so far
Left wing: 55 games, 41 goals and assists.
Right wing: 37 games, 28 goals and assists.
That's excellent on both wings. He's statistically excellent and young. We should definitely sign him asap, whether that's now, in January or next season.
It doesn't mean we should ONLY sign Sancho and nobody else though. The truth is that at present, none of our attacking players are good enough, the young players have potential and we have Sanchez, who on form IS quality, but we've not seen it yet for us and might not ever see it.

beingshe7don

Like who? Who could we get at the level of Sancho? Also, what players are available on loan that would improve us? Even with Bale, Madrid would want a permanent transfer.

Realistically speaking there isn't anyone at the level of Sancho (Sancho included) available this summer. So, the question is whether we don't sign a right wing/forward this summer (even if we sell Lukaku) whilst hoping Sancho joins next summer or we go for a player like Pepe this summer.
I think not going for Pepe this summer will leave us light in the forward department especially if Lukaku leaves. Ole seems to be looking for inverted wingers with the full backs providing the width. Pepe and AWB could forge that partnership. Jadon Sancho is a tricky one because if he has a phenomenal season, his stock will rise to around 120m and if Real and PSG continue to have crappy seasons, they will throw crazy money at him and even United make the CL, that's not going to be enough to get him here. I think going for Pepe this season is a good idea... He has the ability to play RW as well as RF/ ST which gives us options. So that should not deter us from getting Sancho if need be...

kirk buttercup

If we were to sign Pepe ( I still think that's too much for him )and Bruno Fernandes we have addressed the whole right side in one window . I dont think it's likely but imagine AWB playing with those two in front of him . Not a bad prospect

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
Pepe is a bit more productive version of Walcott. Good player, but not one for a dominant team, in which forwards have to play in tight spaces. Would see him as a wide midfielder in a 4-4-2.

Sterling Archer

Was it not ambitious plans? I remember reading that somewhere but I can’t recall from where it came and been holding on to it all summer but if it’s come from a Lille exec then it doesn’t really have that much weight.

I don’t think there is any truth that we are in for Pepe. If we have any designs on getting Sancho at all next summer then why would we buy Pepe now.
Yes, think it was ambitious. Doesn't feel like it at present so will be an interesting few weeks to see how much more happens. If we add Maguire, Pepe, Longstaff, Bruno and loan Bale then that will be ambitious.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

I’d rather sign a cheaper one unless he’s a sure bet. Trying to get Malcom on a fee-paying loan might be plausible. Or getting a more experienced player who could give us a couple of years and then go for a top class one next summer, i.e. Sancho.

LoCalXT

Pepe is good enough for United
Some of you are delusional!

SirScholes

I'm sick and tired of reading about Zaha in every other thread. That guy was fecking trash for us and hasn't done anything since then to warrant a bunch of muppets on here to scream for his signing and compare him to every winger out there. For what it's worth some of these passes in that clip Zaha could only dream of.
Lingard has amazing highlights like so I’m not one for going off *clips*
he looks like your standard above average winger might be better than Lingard but for 70 mil I want more

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Pepe is good enough for United
Some of you are delusional!
We literally have one right winger who’s 19 and has about 3 senior appearances. It’s really not hard to be good enough for our RW spot right now.

ManchesterYoda

Lingard has amazing highlights like so I’m not one for going off *clips*
he looks like your standard above average winger might be better than Lingard but for 70 mil I want more
Last season
Pepe - 33 goals and assists - average rating 7.62
Lingard - 6 goals and assists - average rating 6.59

What more do you want?

United Pro

I think not going for Pepe this summer will leave us light in the forward department especially if Lukaku leaves. Ole seems to be looking for inverted wingers with the full backs providing the width. Pepe and AWB could forge that partnership. Jadon Sancho is a tricky one because if he has a phenomenal season, his stock will rise to around 120m and if Real and PSG continue to have crappy seasons, they will throw crazy money at him and even United make the CL, that's not going to be enough to get him here. I think going for Pepe this season is a good idea... He has the ability to play RW as well as RF/ ST which gives us options. So that should not deter us from getting Sancho if need be...
Agreed, I think not properly replacing Lukaku (if we are to sell) is a huge risk. We currently have more than enough options, but we're lacking in quality. Pepe would add another dynamic to our right side that we don't currently have. I much prefer Sancho and I do have reservations on Pepe's technical ability but I think he would be a very good option to have for next season.
I’d rather sign a cheaper one unless he’s a sure bet. Trying to get Malcom on a fee-paying loan might be plausible. Or getting a more experienced player who could give us a couple of years and then go for a top class one next summer, i.e. Sancho.
Malcom is a shout on a loan. The other problem is that there are no guarantees that we will sign Sancho next summer. I'm sure we will be in for him, but if he continues to impress, you can bet that there will be plenty of other teams involved. If the scouts/Ole believes that Pepe would help out for the coming season, I'm all for it. Even if Sancho comes in next season, he can easily play anywhere behind the striker, so he'd still have a place in the team.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Never seen him play a game, but he looks promising from my YouTube scouting, plus I'm getting more and more desperate for transfers as the days go on...so let's go for him :lol::(

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Last season

What more do you want?
Sancho.

But If we could get Pepe this window I would be ecstatic. He should be a good fit with Wan Bissaka on the right.

jesperjaap

You fools, don't you know that Pepe bad and Sancho is the ONLY player who can improve us and he is guaranteed to sign next season.

What a fool believes - Michael McDOnald

You think Sancho is the ONLY player that can improve on Mata and Lingard......schmuck

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Agreed, I think not properly replacing Lukaku (if we are to sell) is a huge risk. We currently have more than enough options, but we're lacking in quality. Pepe would add another dynamic to our right side that we don't currently have. I much prefer Sancho and I do have reservations on Pepe's technical ability but I think he would be a very good option to have for next season.

Malcom is a shout on a loan. The other problem is that there are no guarantees that we will sign Sancho next summer. I'm sure we will be in for him, but if he continues to impress, you can bet that there will be plenty of other teams involved. If the scouts/Ole believes that Pepe would help out for the coming season, I'm all for it. Even if Sancho comes in next season, he can easily play anywhere behind the striker, so he'd still have a place in the team.
That's my problem with it. I'm hopeful Gomes and Chong continue to progress, and maybe James will be a great purchase as well. Pepe is hardly a #10, I've only seen him play out on the right wing. I don't see how Sancho and Pepe fit in the same team whilst also giving games to our promising youngsters. Hence my preference to either get a potentially elite player there or a short-term fix until we get an absolute top drawer player for the much maligned right side of attack.

Alabaster Codify7

This, and Fernandes, are feeling more and more like agents capitalising on ridiculously good seasons for both in case they can't replicate those numbers for 19/2020. Striking while the iron is hot. Especially with Pepe, who is being linked to loads of teams without actually seeming to be of interest to any of them. Fernandes, at least, seems to be linked almost exclusively to United.

welshwingwizard

That's my problem with it. I'm hopeful Gomes and Chong continue to progress, and maybe James will be a great purchase as well. Pepe is hardly a #10, I've only seen him play out on the right wing. I don't see how Sancho and Pepe fit in the same team whilst also giving games to our promising youngsters. Hence my preference to either get a potentially elite player there or a short-term fix until we get an absolute top drawer player for the much maligned right side of attack.
I don't get the issue. You just end up with a super competitive attack where people have to prove themselves. James and chong won't be the ones that lose out but lingard or even martial if he doesn't step up. Those who have been coasting.

SirScholes

Last season

What more do you want?
Because it’s that simple? You can’t compare the French and English league

Lingard would double his stats in that Mickey Mouse league
Zlatan at psg season before his move to us
38 goals in 31 games and 13 assists

The next season for Utd

17 goals and 5 assists

Bojan11

Because it’s that simple? You can’t compare the French and English league

Lingard would double his stats in that Mickey Mouse league
Zlatan at psg season before his move to us
38 goals in 31 games and 13 assists

The next season for Utd

17 goals and 5 assists
What?

Maybe Zlatan scored less because he was playing for the 6th best team in the league. Lingard would certainly not double his stats. Most of the best imports have come from the so called Mickey Mouse league.

MrSingh2002

Pepe and Chukwueze are both interesting but I'd say Chukwueze edged it for me watching the highlights. Pepe wouldn't get away with half of his skills or take ons in the Premier League but could still be a big improvement on Mata and Lingard on the right wing.

Just strange to give Mata a new deal and still go for another winger after signing James.

Status
Not open for further replies.