Nicolas Pepe - Signs for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So that leaves Psg and Barcelona who can afford him alongside us with Barcelona needing to offload coutinho and dembele before they go for him.

Not saying pepe is a bad choice for us, but was just discussing possibilities. Lukaku out pepe in will be a good business.
So many things can change in 6 months time. Dortmund might be sold to a Saudi/Dubai family, Real/PSG/Barca/Bayern/Chelsea/Shitty might get obsessed with him, we might not make it to the CL ourselves or Sancho might have a lousy season or decide to remain there. Id say lets get a top winger now. If we don't sort the RW problem with the new player then we go back for him.

Crashoutcassius

I don't see any credible links to this guy but wouldn't be against it. It would be pretty frustrating to lose a Lukaku who is i the 100 prem goals club for a totally unproven ligue un winger without making any money but I guess it is what it is being a prem club. Is pepe at all versatile or has he played all his games RW? I guess I ask because our current frot 3 seems to be able to switch at will and it is a cool quality to keep

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So many things can change in 6 months time. Dortmund might be sold to a Saudi/Dubai family, Real/PSG/Barca/Bayern/Chelsea/Shitty might get obsessed with him, we might not make it to the CL ourselves or Sancho might have a lousy season or decide to remain there. Id say lets get a top winger now. If we don't sort the RW problem with the new player then we go back for him.
Not in Germany.

Andersons Dietician

Because every team who want to compete for Pl and CL must have 2 great players for every position. For example, City have Bernardo, Sterling, Aguero, Mahrez, Sane and Jesus for 3 positions.

Sancho, Martial, Pepe, Rashford, James, Greenwood, Lingard... still not on City level.
Bernardo has clearly been bought to be the successor to David Silva. To boot we aren’t Man City and can’t afford to spend let’s say 200+ mil on 2 players for one position. Just makes no sense.

Fosu-Mens

Should go for Chukwueze instead. Or Ziyech.

It is a reason as for why Lille has tried to offload him this summer. They know that he is very unlikely to play at a similar level in the future in regards to quantifiable output. Better sell him now when you can get decent £££ for him. That Liverpool and Bayern has showed zero interest and denied any interest should be an indication that his goals and assist does not reflect his actual ability.

Adamsk7

I’d love this guy on the right wing. If we got him, I’d be happy not replacing Lukaku and go in to the season with a very fluid, young and exciting group of players -

Rashford
Martial
Greenwood
Pepe
James
Lingard
Chong

I mean I know there are no proven goal scorers there but Lukaku was supposed to be that and look how that turned out! It’s time we gave these youngsters a chance to impress and in the case of Martial and Rashford, the chance to prove they are the main men. All signs in preseason are that they are up for the challenge.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

It is a reason as for why Lille has tried to offload him this summer. They know that he is very unlikely to play at a similar level in the future in regards to quantifiable output. Better sell him now when you can get decent £££ for him. That Liverpool and Bayern has showed zero interest and denied any interest should be an indication that his goals and assist does not reflect his actual ability.
Arsenal couldn’t get a work permit for him before, has much changed in that regard?

JPRouve

Scout

He was supposed to leave last summer and they promised to let him go this year, that's your reason. In hindsight he should have gone to Lyon instead of stay with Lille. And last season he was doing very well out of position and with a bad team.

ManchesterYoda

This can't be true. We've needed a left footed right sided forward for 7 years or so but it's an unwritten rule that we only sign right footed left sided forwards. Why break the rules now?

Fosu-Mens

Arsenal couldn’t get a work permit for him before, has much changed in that regard?
Last year wasn't it?

Played 7 games for Nigeria in 2019. Played decent amount in La Liga. Should be more than possible to get it done. Do not think the price will be higher than that of Pepe. Not that Pepe would be an improvement compared to the current options, but thats not saying much.

Irrational.

Never trust that Albino Creme Egg. Ever since Jose left, he's been feeding on scraps.

Not too keen on Pepe - although a marginal improvement on what we have he doesn't appear that pace and never seems in total control of the ball. Maybe he'd prove me wrong though.

It baffles me why anyone hasn't bid for Ziyech - he seems a no-brainer and IMO better than Pepe.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I hope this is all bollocks personally about spending £70m on him.

I just don't see a £70m player in him. Doesn't possess top level pace or dribbling ability to be a top winger.

We should try and sign Federico Chiesa if we're ready to spend big on a wide player this season. If not, then I'd rather wait another season and try and sign Sancho.

I'm even on board with Bale and Robben on loan like @Rozay suggested than sign Pepe.

Fosu-Mens

He was supposed to leave last summer and they promised to let him go this year, that's your reason. In hindsight he should have gone to Lyon instead of stay with Lille. And last season he was doing very well out of position and with a bad team.
They are trying to sell him while his stock is at its peak, which is understandable and logical for a selling club. What i'm suggesting is that his "stock price" is somewhat inflated.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Last year wasn't it?

Played 7 games for Nigeria in 2019. Played decent amount in La Liga. Should be more than possible to get it done. Do not think the price will be higher than that of Pepe. Not that Pepe would be an improvement compared to the current options, but thats not saying much.
I think so.

Maybe then, I can’t exactly remember the requirements anymore. I can’t imagine him going for anywhere close to Pepe’s price, personally. They’re very different players though, I don’t think we’d be interested in both. Would be one or the other.

ManchesterYoda

I hope this is all bollocks personally about spending £70m on him.

I just don't see a £70m player in him. Doesn't possess top level pace or dribbling ability to be a top winger.

We should try and sign Federico Chiesa if we're ready to spend big on a wide player this season. If not, then I'd rather wait another season and try and sign Sancho.

I'm even on board with Bale and Robben on loan like @Rozay suggested than sign Pepe.
I wanted us to pick up Robben, but I thought he retired?

Why should we get Chiesa, what's so special about him?

JPRouve

Scout
They are trying to sell him while his stock is at its peak, which is understandable and logical for a selling club. What i'm suggesting is that his "stock price" is somewhat inflated.
No, you talked about his level. His price is inflated like most attackers having a good season. In Ligue 1, he is a 15-20 goals player and it hasn't been something linked to his team. And he was supposed to leave this summer, it has nothing to do with his season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I wanted us to pick up Robben, but I thought he retired?

Why should we get Chiesa, what's so special about him?
There's a thread in the FF about him.

Chiesa is a superb dribbler with good pace and a brilliant first touch.

ManchesterYoda

There's a thread in the FF about him.

Chiesa is a superb dribbler with good pace and a brilliant first touch.
If he's a superb dribbler why did he only have a 44% dribbling success rate last season? Hazard would be an example of a "superb dribbler".

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If he's a superb dribbler why did he only have a 44% dribbling success rate last season? Hazard would be an example of a "superb dribbler".
He played for a Fiorentina team that avoided relegation on the last day of the season. So that should give you a idea of what he was up against last season with limited passing options.

ManchesterYoda

He is exactly the type of player we have needed since Ferguson retired. Left footed right sided forward. I don't understand why there are United fans who DON'T want him. :confused:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

He is exactly the type of player we have needed since Ferguson retired. Left footed right sided forward. I don't understand why there are United fans who DON'T want him. :confused:
Self hate...

AgentP

70m for Pepe
70m for Bruno
75m for Maguire

That's 215m. Right now, I only believe in the Maguire deal happening. The rest I'm not even sure if there is genuine interest from us.

settembrini

He's definitely the right sort of player we need. I am not 100% convinced by his quality but he's clearly better than our current right wing options.

Unfortunately Castles has a terrible track record when it comes to predicting United transfers so him linking us to Pepe means nothing.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
70m for Pepe
70m for Bruno
75m for Maguire

That's 215m. Right now, I only believe in the Maguire deal happening. The rest I'm not even sure if there is genuine interest from us.
We are not signing bruno for 70m. You can quote me on this.

Mainoldo

55m for Pepe
55m for Bruno
75m for Maguire

Probably more realistic if these were to happen.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He's definitely the right sort of player we need. I am not 100% convinced by his quality but he's clearly better than our current right wing options.

Unfortunately Castles has a terrible track record when it comes to predicting United transfers so him linking us to Pepe means nothing.
Its probably better than most tbh.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
70m for Pepe
70m for Bruno
75m for Maguire

im not even sure you'll get Maguire tbh. Think Leicester will hold out for top dollar and dont need to sell. You'd have to top 75m i think, but thats just mental

Castles seems to be guessing a lot lately, he was quite clearly wrong about Maguire medical and leaving the Leicester training camp

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
70m for Pepe
70m for Bruno
75m for Maguire

Doubt Bruno ends up going for that much. Will be closer to 50 IMO

Godfather

Because he just looks like Zaha but more headless
I'm sick and tired of reading about Zaha in every other thread. That guy was fecking trash for us and hasn't done anything since then to warrant a bunch of muppets on here to scream for his signing and compare him to every winger out there. For what it's worth some of these passes in that clip Zaha could only dream of.

Fosu-Mens

No, you talked about his level. His price is inflated like most attackers having a good season. In Ligue 1, he is a 15-20 goals player and it hasn't been something linked to his team. And he was supposed to leave this summer, it has nothing to do with his season.
There is a difference between allowing him to leave and the "we are trying to start a bidding war" approaching that Lille has done the last few months imo. But then again, i have not followed Ligue 1 closely, nor am i as knowledgable about the league as you. So will not say i know what agreement Pepe had with the club last season regarding a future transfer.

Back on the most important topic:
1. Would you sign him to United?
2. If so, what can we expect?
3. What would you say is a fair price for him?
4. How would you compare him to Chukwueze?

Status
Not open for further replies.