Nicolas Pepe - Signs for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestietom

But Ole mentioned in one of his press conferences that it doesn't matter if they are not British as long as they fit the qualities we are looking for.
Getting transfers over the line is down to Woody. Only one at a time is ridiculous. Pepe would be great for us.

United Pro

Castles has an article on the Times saying that we have progressed discussions with Lille for Pepe:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Be an incredible signing for us. Lukaku out and Pepe in.

Rashford, Martial, Pepe, Sanchez, James, Greenwood, Chong as our attacking options would be fine with me.

Andersons Dietician

What's weird is the comment from the one Lille exec that Manchester United had big plans for the summer in addition to Pepe. A big project maybe was the phrase.
Was it not ambitious plans? I remember reading that somewhere but I can’t recall from where it came and been holding on to it all summer but if it’s come from a Lille exec then it doesn’t really have that much weight.

I don’t think there is any truth that we are in for Pepe. If we have any designs on getting Sancho at all next summer then why would we buy Pepe now.

Godfather

I hope it's true. Finally someone for our right wing. Although I'd have no problem starting Greenwood there. Not sure it's wise to risk burning him out already though.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He seems like a less talented Zaha. I've only seen clips of him play so is that doing him a disservice?

Nero

Castles talking shite as he has been all this window.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's nowhere near aa fast as I thought he was. For someone that isn't all that technical, I am not so sure.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Rather wait and go for Sancho . We are not getting both .
According to rumours Sancho could have come to United this year and he refused us. There is no guarantee he would sign with us next year either as Real might step in. Therefore let us try to sort the RW position now with players who actually want to sign for us. If that guy fails to deliver and Sancho would want to join us then we sign him up

Houdini

Would be a quality signing! We missed a player like him for a long time.

Macedonian Red

If we have any designs on getting Sancho at all next summer then why would we buy Pepe now.
Because every team who want to compete for Pl and CL must have 2 great players for every position. For example, City have Bernardo, Sterling, Aguero, Mahrez, Sane and Jesus for 3 positions.

Sancho, Martial, Pepe, Rashford, James, Greenwood, Lingard... still not on City level.

R'hllor

Never watched Pepe, know shit about him but is it just me or they pushing stories about many being interested for him almost every 12h, it gives a scam vibe.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Why would they step in with asensio, Vinicius jr, and Brahim Diaz already in the ranks? Along with Hazard.
I was using Real as an example. There are many top clubs who might be interested in a top young winger who can play on both flanks

binary bot
Lille seem to have created this 70m market for him by linking him to every club under the sun. I'd want a sure thing for 70m. Is he that?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
People moan about not signing anyone then get linked to somebody they haven't even seen play 90 minutes and complain.

What a fan base :lol:

kirk buttercup

he might underwhelm here imo. He is decent but what's the figure being Thrown out 70m - 80m ? And yet we wont pay that for Maguire or 60m for bruno which imo would add huge amounts to the team . People are right Sancho might not come here but 80m on this guy seems expensive to me he is not that quick , not that technical . I think this might be agents putting names out but let's see .

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
The guy has massive potential to improve and is very young. I’m not sure if he is as good as Sancho but would be a massive upgrade on our non existent right hand side. Something does tell me Sanchez will improve there drastically next season. I know we forget about Sanchez because he has been so poor for us, but surely when he is fit and firing, not many teams can handle him.

Patrick08

I was using Real as an example. There are many top clubs who might be interested in a top young winger who can play on both flanks
So that leaves Psg and Barcelona who can afford him alongside us with Barcelona needing to offload coutinho and dembele before they go for him.

Not saying pepe is a bad choice for us, but was just discussing possibilities. Lukaku out pepe in will be a good business.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’d rather get Bale on loan for a year. Or get Robben out of retirement on a one year deal.

We absolutely must try and get Jadon Sancho next year.

Mr Smith

He seems like a less talented Zaha. I've only seen clips of him play so is that doing him a disservice?
Yes, a huge disservice. He was the most influential player in Ligue 1 last season. I can see how you might have been underwhelmed by him if you were expecting a flying winger; he's a bit more subtle than that; more a winger/playmaker than an outright winger.

buckooo1978

people saying they'd rather wait for Sancho....fair enough he's a better player

City didnt have an issue signing Mahrez when they have Silva, Bernardo Silva, Kevin DB, Sane etc....

we need to be adding more quality to the team and squad

if hes the requisite quality and available he could be a good signing with Sancho signed next year when we qualify for the CL

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yes, a huge disservice. He was the most influential player in Ligue 1 last season. I can see how you might have been underwhelmed by him if you were expecting a flying winger; he's a bit more subtle than that; more a winger/playmaker than an outright winger.
Thanks. I won't pretend to know anything about him, barely seen him play, so I'll take your word for it.

dasty

For the absurd price being quoted for him I'd prefer us to wait and see. Lille seems desperate to sell by linking him to every club in the world including Arsenal (seriously, where would they find the funds for a 70m signings?), and there really isn't any apparent interest in him at all. Paying 70m for him and then 80m for Maguire this window will hurt our ability to buy good players for a reasonable price for a long long time.

Chairman Steve

Hmmm it is a Times article though, which is usually one of the sources at the very top of reliability. Maybe he’s the Lukaku replacement? Can he play anywhere across a front three? Transfermarkt says he’s predominantly right wing and can play central.

I don’t see any reason why it would deter from any future Sancho chase either. If we fill the ranks with forwards who can play anywhere across a front three and are easily interchangeable then we’re laughing.

Didn’t realise he was 24 either. He’d give that front three an experienced head if Lukaku left.

Last edited:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Ole said he was looking for pace and x-factor. Makes sense.

Maybe Zaha is better at taking players on and is a bit faster. Statistically that seems to be the case. But Pepe appears to have more end product, probably the most important thing Zaha lacks.

Pepe scored 13 and assisted 9 from open play, 22 in total. Lille scored 47 in total. In other words, he was directly involved in 47 % percent of their goals last year in Ligue 1. The expected goal stat is similar.

In total, he scored 22 and assisted 11, 33 in total. Lille scored 68 goals. Meaning he was basically directly involved in 50 % of their goals in Ligue 1.

Impressive figures.

Smores

If we had a chance at Sancho he'd be coming this summer. Some seem to have themselves convinced he's coming next season based on nothing.

We're not in a position to wait and there's other positions to fill that will also need CL to get the best players.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Hmmm it is a Times article though, which is usually one of the sources at the very top of reliability. Maybe he’s the Lukaku replacement? Can he play anywhere across a front three? Transfermarkt says he’s predominantly right wing and can play central.

I don’t see any reason why it would deter from any future Sancho chase either. If we fill the ranks with forwards who can play anywhere across a front three and are easily interchangeable then we’re laughing.

Didn’t realise he was 24 either. He’d give that front three an experienced head if Lukaku left.
Would be good to have an experienced head to guide the young players like Rashford, Greenwood and Lingard

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
First of all, Pepe has been linked heavily with other clubs too and I think this is just the agent is using our name. And Castle is the one who said the deal with Maguire is done so can’t trust him. I don’t think we even interested in him, I think we will give chances to Greenwood and wait for Sancho next year.

Tiber

Castles has been making big claims about United all summer - none have been true.

Best to ignore this latest one until a reliable source confirms

Status
Not open for further replies.