Nicolas Pepe - Signs for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoo

From what I’ve seen he plays more like a striker then RW. A front 3 of him, Rashford and Martial could be exciting but would need a proper midfield and defence behind them.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He has been good in every seasons played in Ligue 1, personally I like him but as I said in an other thread I would like to see him in a European competition because some players don't up their game against tougher opponents.
Fair enough

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I personally don't think he's gonna amount to much in a bigger league. Mane at Liverpool is a better player comfortably and Pepe's stats are very misleading.

I would rather see us break the bank for Sancho or give Tahith Chong a chance over signing someone like Pepe for €70m.

Gopher Brown

I personally don't think he's gonna amount to much in a bigger league. Mane at Liverpool is a better player comfortably and Pepe's stats are very misleading.

I would rather see us break the bank for Sancho or give Tahith Chong a chance over signing someone like Pepe for €70m.
Strange thing to say - Mane’s comfortably better than just about everyone we’ve been linked with.

Aloysius's Back 3

@JPRouve

I know many attackers have had good amount of goal scored in the French league to later struggle to hit similar levels at other Leagues, a bit like lacazette for example.

However, the sheer number of goals and assists that Pepe has done surely is alot - I've heard its around 51 now and the season has hardly finished.

Does the numbers he is producing make you think he might have a better chance than someone in France we have seen do well in the past?

Fer

Would rather Sancho than him
Between Sancho and Pepe... Who plays more often in the right?
Pepe is more a wide striker than a winger like Sancho, or they could play as classic wingers?

beingshe7don

Sancho has been hyped up by the media because he's English. He's no doubt a good player but he's no where a 100m player that everyone is making him out to be. I would say at best 60m player. I feel Greenwood and Chong will get sidelined if we got Sancho. Pepe is the better option and will not stifle the growth of Greenwood and Chong and significantly cheaper as well.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sancho has been hyped up by the media because he's English. He's no doubt a good player but he's no where a 100m player that everyone is making him out to be. I would say at best 60m player. I feel Greenwood and Chong will get sidelined if we got Sancho. Pepe is the better option and will not stifle the growth of Greenwood and Chong and significantly cheaper as well.
Why would Sancho stifle their growth and Pepe wouldn't?

Who cares if he is cheaper, and will you moan about the club's ambitions/functioning if we sign players that aren't good enough when ones that are were available?

mewnew11

I won't be surprised if Woodward ignores Pepe and goes for Sancho and haggles with Dortmund for half the summer until they say no. Then we come back in for Pepe but he has already agreed to join another club.
This!

Mcking

Not impressed tbh. I feel he would be another of these limited players we've been signing in the last few years who were lacking in certain important aspects for the role and position they play in.
I feel his all-round play is not very accomplished, and he is lacking in terms of finesse. We really should be signing players who are more technically sophisticated.
Futhermore, I usually have reservations about signing non-centre forwards whose reputation are built mainly on numbers. If they are unable to replicate such prowess, then what? I would steer well clear.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Sancho has a better goal and assist ratio per minute than Pepe inspite of being four years younger and playing in a tougher league. Not to mention the fact that Pepe takes penalties for his team whereas Sancho doesn't.

Sancho 10 goals and 13 assists in 2078 minutes - 90.3m per g/a
Pepe 19 goals and 11 assists in 2865 minutes - 95.5m per g/a

Sancho rated being highly has nothing to be with him being English. He's an excellent player.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@JPRouve

I know many attackers have had good amount of goal scored in the French league to later struggle to hit similar levels at other Leagues, a bit like lacazette for example.

However, the sheer number of goals and assists that Pepe has done surely is alot - I've heard its around 51 now and the season has hardly finished.

Does the numbers he is producing make you think he might have a better chance than someone in France we have seen do well in the past?
The first sentence is not really true, there isn't many attackers that have regularly scored goals in France and didn't do the same elsewhere, the opposite is more common. Lacazette is on a similar pace with Arsenal when you consider that he was taking penalties for Lyon and plays less minutes per seasons, he also has more assists for Arsenal.

As for Pépé I don't know, I would like to see more of him.

Infra-red

Sancho has a better goal and assist ratio per minute than Pepe inspite of being four years younger and playing in a tougher league. Not to mention the fact that Pepe takes penalties for his team whereas Sancho doesn't.

Sancho rated being highly has nothing to be with him being English. He's an excellent player.
Indeed. In fact 8 of Pepe's 19 goals were penalties. In terms of open play:

Sancho 10 goals and 11 assists in 2078 - 98.9m per g/a

Pepe 11 goals and 9 assists in 2865 - 143.2m per g/a

beingshe7don

He's been quoted at 100m which I don't think is the right valuation of him at the moment. If we can nab Pepe for 40/50m, I think that would be a lot prudent of a decision as this would help in investing in other parts of the squad. We don't have 500m to spend and getting Sancho will not magically get us back to winning ways.

Kaglish10

I really don't fancy neither him, bergwijn nor Lozano.

I would rather have João Felix and Adam Ounas here. Adam Ounas has better control, linkup play and I love his throughball than any of these players. A shame that Ancelotti prefers the ageing Callejon to him at Napoli.

BlueHaze

Sancho just turned 19. Pepe will be 24 in a month. There is no doubt Sancho is the better option. Also your first statement in that post is bs. The hype around him has feck all to do with nationality and everything with raw potential. The guy is being incredibly productive for a 19 year old kid.

beingshe7don

Why would Sancho stifle their growth and Pepe wouldn't?

Who cares if he is cheaper, and will you moan about the club's ambitions/functioning if we sign players that aren't good enough when ones that are were available?
Sancho is 18/19 years of age.... 100m is not the correct valuation. You don't understand the long term effects it would have on us as far as buying players are concerned. The other clubs will hold us ransom to pay that much for any upcoming 18-year-old talents.

beingshe7don

Sancho just turned 19. Pepe will be 24 in a month. There is no doubt Sancho is the better option. Also your first statement in that post is bs. The hype around him has feck all to do with nationality and everything with raw potential. The guy is being incredibly productive for a 19 year old kid.
Sounds like you're the 19-year-old and naive to realize that English players get hyped up a lot more and valued a lot more as well. I did not deny that Sancho was a talent but for 100m, I stick by my words, he's not worth 100m. He hasn't won any trophies and he hasn't really proven himself against the big teams.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Sancho was nowhere near as effective in the CL, so I can understand where people are coming from saying he is overhyped. I doubt he is the player to take us up a level, he is more a player for the future. Mbappe was fantastic in the CL and definitely worth the money.

Pepe looks a quality player. Able to manoeuvre the ball in tight situations, and is a great finisher from the right hand flank which is exactly what we need.

Sign him up!

BlueHaze

Sounds like you're the 19-year-old and naive to realize that English players get hyped up a lot more and valued a lot more as well. I did not deny that Sancho was a talent but for 100m, I stick by my words, he's not worth 100m. He hasn't won any trophies and he hasn't really proven himself against the big teams.
Of course he is not worth 100m but the reality is that is how the market looks these days. Dembele went from Dortmund to Barca for 130m so of course the fee for Sancho will be crazy high as well but that is the type of players we have to sign or we can settle with crap like Lingard and scrap for 4th place till 2025. If we can't get Sancho then Pepe is definitely a good alternative.

Wolvereen

He is not good enough for Man Utd, just like Mane back in 2016. :rolleyes:
This. So many players who fit the bill and who were round pegs in round holes that we missed out on and our fanbase considered them "not good enough". Now those same players are shining with other teams while we're still stuck with the likes of Lukaku and hoping Martial one day comes consistently good.

ti vu

From what I’ve seen he plays more like a striker then RW. A front 3 of him, Rashford and Martial could be exciting but would need a proper midfield and defence behind them.
He does plenty of track back defensive work and ball carrying from deep like a winger. He can't cross well though.

He did good amount of runing behind cutting to central position like a forward and has good return.

I don't think that front 3 would work. One needs to be sidelined for a no 10. Reason is as all of them ain't that great creative to other when being forced outwide as their best strait involved dribbling. A no 10 is a must to release them. And it's not just Pogba. A proper no 10 attacker.

Ahsan_6386

I have never seen him play and the video compilations are impressive as is the one of Samuel Chukwueze . So to everyone who follow both Ligue1 and La Liga who is more impressive and better suited for us Pepe or Chukwueze ?

Aloysius's Back 3

I have never seen him play and the video compilations are impressive as is the one of Samuel Chukwueze . So to everyone who follow both Ligue1 and La Liga who is more impressive and better suited for us Pepe or Chukwueze ?
I'm not going to pretend like I watch these guys alot -

But we don't seem to score from headers, corners or free kicks.

Pepe for me is a forward that plays as an inside forward with the ability to do such things more than chukwueze who is more a direct winger to me.

ti vu

Chukwueze is impressive in his own right, but with Pepe you can say he has been consistently improving over past season, which is an important aspect as many young players couldn't replicate and maintain their development into new season. So IMO if we're to buy one of them. get Pepe is a more safe option if obtainable. Chukwueze to be on the radar to come back in the future.

Last edited:

Womp

idiot
He is great. Not the type of player we'd be interested in though. Not enough marketability.

Reynoldo

Get him and Sancho, we deserve to be over stocked on the right after the famine there in recent years

Status
Not open for further replies.