Nicolas Pepe - Signs for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Seems a Liverpool type signing.
Bayern will buy him and he'll be their right winger for the foreseeable future. We don't do these types of signings, we want highly marketable players which usually involve inflated fees.

The Nani

Bayern will buy him and he'll be their right winger for the foreseeable future. We don't do these types of signings, we want highly marketable players which usually involve inflated fees.
Don’t think he’s anywhere near Coman or Gnarby never mind Mane.

An inflated scoring record in Ligue 1 thanks to penos won’t translate well.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Don’t think he’s anywhere near Coman or Gnarby never mind Mane.

An inflated scoring record in Ligue 1 thanks to penos won’t translate well.
He has scored the same amount of goals as Gnabry and more than Coman when discounting penalties. This is all for a team that is quite poor in attack and very reliant on Pepe. He has scored over 1/3rd of their goals which is quite rare. If he plays for a team like Bayern that dominates most of their game he will get 20-25 goals excluding penalties in my opinion.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Reminds me of a left-footed Zaha. Clearly likes having the ball at his feet which is something we could really use, but I'm not he looks totally in control enough to make it in the prem.

Still, a player who plays in the position we need who is available...so that's something.

The Nani

He has scored the same amount of goals as Gnabry and more than Coman when discounting penalties. This is all for a team that is quite poor in attack and very reliant on Pepe. He has scored over 1/3rd of their goals which is quite rare. If he plays for a team like Bayern that dominates most of their game he will get 20-25 goals excluding penalties in my opinion.
Disingenuous argument. Coman and Gnabry are both right at one in two for Bayern. Fitness has been their only issue. Disregarding penos, Pepe is scoring one in three in the French league. Yet you expect him to equal or better those two?

Won’t happen. He’s a decent player but very limited.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Disingenuous argument. Coman and Gnabry are both right at one in two for Bayern. Fitness has been their only issue. Disregarding penos, Pepe is scoring one in three in the French league. Yet you expect him to equal or better those two?

Won’t happen. He’s a decent player but very limited.
Your Maths is wrong. Gnabry is on 12 in 36 and Coman is on 8 in 24. They are 1 in 3 exactly. Pepe is getting 1 in 3 for a much inferior team, so yes I would be inclined to think he would improve with more chances.

The Nani

Your Maths is wrong. Gnabry is on 12 in 36 and Coman is on 8 in 24. They are 1 in 3 exactly. Pepe is getting 1 in 3 for a much inferior team, so yes I would be inclined to think he would improve with more chances.
Nearly half their appearances are as substitutes. Again, not a genuine comparison.

Gnabry has 13 in 27 starts while Coman has 10 in 17 starts in all competitions. Meanwhile Pepe has scored 11 open play goals in 34 starts for Lille this season.

So yes, Pepe is scoring at an inferior rate in an inferior team in an inferior league.

Nothing to get excited about.

beingshe7don

Irregardless of whether Pepe plays in an inferior team in an inferior league, the guy is a goal scoring right winger. None of our wingers put on numbers that City or Liverpool wingers do. Pepe is that kind of winger who could elevate our attack in front of goal.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
There will be signings but we won't rock the boat. Thus I can see us ignoring the RW again and insist on lingard and the chong guy

Stacks

Sounds like you're the 19-year-old and naive to realize that English players get hyped up a lot more and valued a lot more as well. I did not deny that Sancho was a talent but for 100m, I stick by my words, he's not worth 100m. He hasn't won any trophies and he hasn't really proven himself against the big teams.
What he says below about Dembele is Fair especially as Sancho has similar goal involvement to minute ratio and similar number of dribbles. Dortmund are also challenging for a title in part because of his performances
Of course he is not worth 100m but the reality is that is how the market looks these days. Dembele went from Dortmund to Barca for 130m so of course the fee for Sancho will be crazy high as well but that is the type of players we have to sign or we can settle with crap like Lingard and scrap for 4th place till 2025. If we can't get Sancho then Pepe is definitely a good alternative.

Stacks

Irregardless of whether Pepe plays in an inferior team in an inferior league, the guy is a goal scoring right winger. None of our wingers put on numbers that City or Liverpool wingers do. Pepe is that kind of winger who could elevate our attack in front of goal.
Not if Pogba is on penos. If so Pepe is no more productive than Martial or Rashford. We need something more than what we already have and I don't think we should just pin our hopes on just anyone as if desperate

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Gnabry has 13 in 27 starts while Coman has 10 in 17 starts in all competitions. Meanwhile Pepe has scored 11 open play goals in 34 starts for Lille this season.

So yes, Pepe is scoring at an inferior rate in an inferior team in an inferior league.
Does that kind of argument mean anything when Bayern score significantly more goals than Lille?
Also every French attacker who made the jump from L1 to Bundesliga magically saw his numbers improve, funny how it works uh?

L1 is defensive and has physicality as well as fast defenders, Gnabry and Coman play against fullbacks who are much slower on the average than the ones Pepe deals with.

NJM78

There will be signings but we won't rock the boat. Thus I can see us ignoring the RW again and insist on lingard and the chong guy
God no, the Lingard part makes me especially mad but if you are right let’s just show faith in Chong as what is the point in him. We won’t win league with either so at least get Chong the experience and see what he can do on a consistent basis.

Fer

Good player. But I think Chelsea could sign him (plus Pulisic) as replacement of Hazard if he moves to Madrid.

Wolvereen

Pepe: Linked with Bayern and PSG

The Caf: Pepe isn't good enough for United

:confused::houllier:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Memphis was also a goalscoring winger

Resch

Pepe: Linked with Bayern and PSG

The Caf: Pepe isn't good enough for United

:confused::houllier:
Who is good enough for the Caf? Some here would have problems to find some talent at Barcelona or Juventus. This would not be a problem, but Ed tops everyone. He would buy a foosball player, if he thinks he could sell some shirts and earn him some money.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Who is good enough for the Caf? Some here would have problems to find some talent at Barcelona or Juventus. This would not be a problem, but Ed tops everyone. He would buy a foosball player, if he thinks he could sell some shirts and earn him some money.
Just about everyone the Caf has dismissed in some capacity is now playing for a top team.
Mane
Firmino
Bernardo Silva
Kouilibally
list goes on....

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He’s not as popular a choice as Sancho but he’s exactly what we need. Pace, dribbling ability and a decent attacking threat. I’d imagine he’d be a fraction of the cost too!

Kaglish10

SportBild: some scouts at Bayern believe, Pepe isn't good enough to play for Bayern.
To be honest, he doesn't look good to me too. His control under pressure isn't quite good. Also, while he's got good pace, it's not as blistering.

I want a winger that would terrify the opponent and leave them dead with his pace alone and then, his control under pressure should be quality. That's why Ounas remains my choice. He's had bad luck under Ancelotti who prefers the 32yrs old Callejon to him this season but his 4 goals and 1 assist in 7 starts looks good. His rating as a right winger on whoscored looks good too. He also looks good against Arsenal. I think he's been injured since then.

beingshe7don

Memphis was also a goalscoring winger
The French league may be a farmers league but it's valued more than the Dutch league. Memphis was no doubt a goalscoring winger but I don't think he was very mature when he moved to United. Pepe is already 24 and has performed against a PSG side whereas Memphis was performing against sides in the Dutch league which wasn't all that great.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The French league may be a farmers league but it's valued more than the Dutch league. Memphis was no doubt a goalscoring winger but I don't think he was very mature when he moved to United. Pepe is already 24 and has performed against a PSG side whereas Memphis was performing against sides in the Dutch league which wasn't all that great.
Memphis also performed in international games. France or Gernany wasn't it? Everyone here was giddy about how he looked against a good team.

MetoTTT

It seems Liverpool are in for him. I think it could be true because when Real give up on Mbappé (this summer), they'll try for Mane/Salah.

Bro Naoned

Supports
FCNantes
Hazard at Lille : 50 goals in 194 matches.
Pépé at Lille : 34 goals in 73 matches.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It seems Liverpool are in for him. I think it could be true because when Real give up on Mbappé (this summer), they'll try for Mane/Salah.
Where did you hear this?

BM have been reported widely as the destination

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'd like to add that whilst I like Pepe, he seems like the type of player someone like Guardiola would develop to a much higher level, Klopp probably would too. Not so sure OGS will be able to that kind of magic though.

Reddevil1978

Would Pepe improve the team? I say yes so snap him up. We need more goal threats and assists.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Being linked by the Mirror who are usually crap but David McDonnell is reporting it so maybe not total crap. Also was listening to Duncan Castles podcast and he reports that Pepe is a player that Mourinho recommended last summer but the club didn't want to move and we have been watching him. Probably wishful thinking but maybe we have moved on from Sancho after getting rebuffed.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Being linked by the Mirror who are usually crap but David McDonnell is reporting it so maybe not total crap. Also was listening to Duncan Castles podcast and he reports that Pepe is a player that Mourinho recommended last summer but the club didn't want to move and we have been watching him. Probably wishful thinking but maybe we have moved on from Sancho after getting rebuffed.
Pépé is the one that rejected all moves last summer, so the Mourinho-club part is wrong.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
All for adding him, I just hope this doesn’t mean we give up on Sancho, be it this summer or next.

Status
Not open for further replies.