Gaming Nier: Automata (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

pacifictheme

Released tomorrow but my copy came today. Anyone else getting this? Reviews are excellent and it looks fantastic. The first one had a big cult following so i am thoroughly looking forward to getting stuck in to this later.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Getting the PC release next Friday :) Going to replay Metal Gear Rising & perhaps Bayonetta in preperation for some fresh Platinum goodness.

Siorac

I'll probably get it. Reviews are generally very positive, now I just hope the PC port will be good enough. If not, well, there are plenty other games to play.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
The demo was very good. Think I'll get it later though as Mass Effect is out soon

Kaos

I absolutely loved the first one despite the critics bashing it. Chuffed that this has been well received, definitely picking up :)

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Out today for PC users.

I will resist...
I will resist...
I wi...

Sigh.

Revan

Assumptionman
Is it good? Is it related to the first game I didn't play? To what game is similar?

I mean, if Mass Effect sucks, I should get something else to play.

Siorac

Is it good? Is it related to the first game I didn't play? To what game is similar?

I mean, if Mass Effect sucks, I should get something else to play.
It's very, very good. There are references to the first game but it's completely understandable and playable without it (I haven't played that either, only read a Let's Play).

It's a fast-paced action game, its core combat is comparable to something like Bayonetta. It switches between different genres: platforming, twin stick shooting, bullet hell shooting... the gameplay is always varied, always fast, with lots of exploration. You cannot create your own character but you can customise its abilities based on your preferred style.

The game has a weird, fascinating and sad story that spans multiple playthroughs. Graphically it's decent, nothing special and the PC port has a number of issues though community fixes are already available.

I think it's well worth the price, I'm only 20 hours in but all I could think of yesterday and today is going home and playing it some more.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I think i'll end up getting this too, I was planning on Mass Effect after I platinum Horizon but I don't think im gonna bother now and get this instead.

Peanut Butter

I love the looks of this. Definitely going to buy it at some point.

The PS4 exclusives just keep on coming :drool:

Revan

Assumptionman
It's very, very good. There are references to the first game but it's completely understandable and playable without it (I haven't played that either, only read a Let's Play).

It's a fast-paced action game, its core combat is comparable to something like Bayonetta. It switches between different genres: platforming, twin stick shooting, bullet hell shooting... the gameplay is always varied, always fast, with lots of exploration. You cannot create your own character but you can customise its abilities based on your preferred style.

The game has a weird, fascinating and sad story that spans multiple playthroughs. Graphically it's decent, nothing special and the PC port has a number of issues though community fixes are already available.

I think it's well worth the price, I'm only 20 hours in but all I could think of yesterday and today is going home and playing it some more.
Cheers! I don't like to go into sequels without playing the other games though. Will eventually look into this.

Munkehboi

Completed it all (no spoilers ofc), One of the best games I've ever played. I loved the first Nier but this is soooooo much better and more polished! Just wished it was a little longer but just shy of 60 hours isn't too bad. Now starting Persona 5.

Peanut Butter

Completed it all (no spoilers ofc), One of the best games I've ever played. I loved the first Nier but this is soooooo much better and more polished! Just wished it was a little longer but just shy of 60 hours isn't too bad. Now starting Persona 5.
I love it already - got any tips for me (first boss)? I just can't evade it's attacks.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Wait, it's 60 hours long? I have this sitting on my shelf and wanted to go for it after I have finally done Horizon but I thought it's like 15-20 and then I can move on to Persona 5 or Yakuza 0!

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Wait, it's 60 hours long? I have this sitting on my shelf and wanted to go for it after I have finally done Horizon but I thought it's like 15-20 and then I can move on to Persona 5 or Yakuza 0!
Depends on your playstyle

Munkehboi

In total I clocked 57 hours. Basically I messed up (or so I thought) the first playthrough as I completed it without reliasing I was at the last boss and skipped loads of sidequests so I restarted from fresh, I think I pretty much completed everything in about 45 hours though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Let's talk about Nier Automata. Now before I plunge head first into a sea of reflection of a game I haven't even really finished, I'd like to mention that I've expectedly faced a gaming void ever since I finished Witcher 3 (repeatedly) and that Nier has been at the top (or thereabouts) of my gaming to do list for a long while. In this time, I've played and thoroughly enjoyed games like Horizon and Yakuza 0. But naturally neither with the sheer magnificence of the Witcher 3, a game I regard as possibly among the two greatest I've ever had the fortune of playing.

So coming on to Nier, I had been fascinated by it ever since I saw the initial reviews. Some games give you a sense of being something unique or special. And while I felt it's controls and systems felt clunky to begin with and time to get used to, eventually the expetience flowed into something seemless, intricate and downright brilliant.

The general narrative and quality of the writing/story telling is both over the top and tempered enough to keep a tight leash on your senses. The gameplay is fluid and feels like a dance, at times, and the use of different perspectives (top down, side scroller etc) and switching between them never manages to feel jarring. Essentially it's the unbridled joy of gaming wrapped up in this beautiful little world. Which brings us to the world which isnt enromous by any standards but is carefully crafted enough for you to feel a sense of attachment and adoration for it and it's specific parts. Level design is, for the most part, absolutely superb.

And then there's the music. Like Witcher 3, this is an industry defining benchmark for all games to aspire to. It's rivetting, inspiring and perfectly in synch with game you're playing on the screen.

Finally, I'd like to touch upon something Nier does which may not be for everyone but I loved in that it had a tendancy to unsettle and surprise. From the words of the robots transforming into the soundtrack to their actual words to that amusement park location and it's overall weirdness, the game keeps our on your toes and I loved that.

So after loving my first playthrough for the above reasons, I felt that the game ended too soon and with too many questions unanswered. To my surprised, there was a lot more in store (more playthrough) which I'm still exploring and where this game ends up in my pantheon of greats will depend on that experience. But as of now, I have nothing but adoration for this game. Once in awhile a game comes along which has the sort of attention to detail and class as this one.

Gushing over.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
@amolbhatia50k Nice write up.

If you’re looking for something else to fill the void for top tier games - I’d go for Persona 5. The ostentatious anime appearance of it is a bit tricky to deal with at first if you’re not really into that stuff like I was, but once it clicks you’re left with a phenomenal game. I have yet to play Nier (it is on my list) but I’d probably rank P5 just behind The Witcher 3 on next gen games I’ve played on the PS4.

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
I was at where @amolbhatia50k is after finishing route A. I then started route B and completely lost interest as soon as I realized its just the same thing again with few different cutscenes. I know the story continues after route B but I just couldnt get myself to do a second playthrough in the middle of the first playthrough. Ended up watching the story on youtube.

amolbhatia50k

I was at where @amolbhatia50k is after finishing route A. I then started route B and completely lost interest as soon as I realized its just the same thing again with few different cutscenes. I know the story continues after route B but I just couldnt get myself to do a second playthrough in the middle of the first playthrough. Ended up watching the story on youtube.
I'm thoroughly enjoying the second play through. Of course it is very similar to the first but hacking is very very well done.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I'm at the same point, second playthrough/route B.

Loving it. I don't even mind if it's the exact same with minor tweaks because the gameplay is brilliant and I'm enjoying the change from the first playthrough.

Also, 9S >>> 2B.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I bought this on sale the other day. Been on my list for ages.

I'm refusing to start it though until I'm done with monster Hunter world and Nioh.

Simbo

Anyone played this on PC with Keyboard Mouse? I bought it in the sale but its supposed to be a lot better with controller so waiting till I get hold of one.

amolbhatia50k

I'm at the same point, second playthrough/route B.

Loving it. I don't even mind if it's the exact same with minor tweaks because the gameplay is brilliant and I'm enjoying the change from the first playthrough.

Also, 9S >>> 2B.
How cool is the soundtrack in 8 bit? :drool:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
How cool is the soundtrack in 8 bit? :drool:
Forgot to mention that. Soundtrack is incredible.

Also, on the second playthrough, I found a giant set of underground caves. Was probably there in the first playthrough but didn't find it.

Feels like the type of game where you can miss loads of little and big details even if you're looking for stuff.

amolbhatia50k

Finally really finished it. Simple put, this is one of the best games I've ever played. Absolutely astonishing work from Platinum Games. Every little part of this game is expertly crafted with the detail you'd expect from a much larger peice. Heck, even the final credits and the little messages you get during those have thought put into them. If you haven't played Nier Automata and love gaming, you are missing out. It is unbridled gaming joy in the context of one of the best story's in the medium.

I genuinely feel this game is underrated and hasn't received the praise youd expect from a true achievement in the gaming industry.

Erm, let me whisper this...

This game is better than BOTW. It's so, so beautiful.
No idea about BOTW but Nier is a very special game.

Red_Aaron

Inspired by this thread I went out and brought this today.
Gonna stick it on now to get that dreadful performance out of my head
Hopefully it's as good as you guys suggest

amolbhatia50k

Inspired by this thread I went out and brought this today.
Gonna stick it on now to get that dreadful performance out of my head
Hopefully it's as good as you guys suggest
I might go and buy it tomorrow actually. Played about half when I borrowed it from a friend and it was brilliant but I never completed it.
It requires patience given the multiple playthroughts but the payoff is immense. Games like this, for me, are a landmark of what the medium can be and the heights it can reach, and put into perspective how 'good but not great' a lot of other games I've liked are.

Having said that it is not as universally worshipped as my posts suggest so I imagine it's not for everyone. Hopefully it is for you guys.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
it definitely wasn't for me. I'm usually pretty patient with games and after 10-12 hours of being bored to death I just gave up. The awful PC port didn't help, mind, maybe it's better on ps4.

caid

it definitely wasn't for me. I'm usually pretty patient with games and after 10-12 hours of being bored to death I just gave up. The awful PC port didn't help, mind, maybe it's better on ps4.
Its a shitty port alright. Theres a fan made mod called 'FAR' i think that fixes most issues. I'd say thats virtually essential on PC.
I loved it. The characters, world and storyline were all pretty brilliant. Music was great. Just one of the better RPG's ive played since ... like FFIX or something. Just kept surprising me. I'm kind of bummed out that i've finished it tbh (after 50+ hours).

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It requires patience given the multiple playthroughts but the payoff is immense. Games like this, for me, are a landmark of what the medium can be and the heights it can reach, and put into perspective how 'good but not great' a lot of other games I've liked are.

Having said that it is not as universally worshipped as my posts suggest so I imagine it's not for everyone. Hopefully it is for you guys.
Yeah, it was awesome from what I played. I just couldn't be bothered with it at the time as I'd come off Breath of the Wild and I don't have the energy to play that many games anymore. The concept seemed very unique and I've read a ton about it since I played.

I didn't buy it because I have an essay in for Wednesday. I'll get round to it soon though. It's £24 in Argos if anybody else is interested.