Nigel Martyn

Salvation

Damnation
The most underrated keeper in PL history?

The 1990-2010s England legend thread made me think he should have had a fair crack at the England No. 1 spot too. Don't recall him messing up, capable of some great stops and very good at organising his defences.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Very much an unsung hero, always remember a Merseyside derby where he was excellent

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Aye he was very good. His problem was Seaman was better.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Perhaps a more reliable keeper than any in the league at the moment, at his peak.

Zen

Other than the fact he never got the #1 spot, always found he got his fair share of top praise and people who thought he should of been the number 1 for England. That Leeds team was pretty good though, shame* it had to blow up due to well yeah, how they got it.

*= Not really.

AKDevil

Brilliant keeper. Like some of top strikers around in his era, never got praise he deserved because bigger names about but outstanding in his own right.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

If only he was a few years younger when we had him :(

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Never understood why we didn't go for him when Schmikes retired.

Was a period between 97-01 when he was excellent. And usually was solid.

stubie

Good keeper who had a decent back four playing in front of him between 1998-2002.

Played in an era where England had some top class goalkeepers

Liam147

On Probation
No. I recall being a six year old kid watching Phil Neville do his level best to put us out of Euro 2000. And my dad reassured me that Martyn was actually a good penalty saver. Yeah well that didn't work out did it.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Given how well Seaman played in 1996, and maintained that through 1998, it's little wonder Martyn didn't get more caps. Then when he did get the chance at Euro 2000 he perhaps didn't make the most of it as his flapping against Romania proved pivotal in England's exit. Nevertheless he was better than anything England could muster between Seaman's decline and Hart's emergence.