Gaming Nintendo 3DS vs PS Vita thread.

WeasteDevil

Kaos

Just picked up my 3DS....so suckle on my teets lambs, you too Weaste.

OoT looks terrific, the controls are perfect, the visuals look great...heck even the 3D looks astonishing. Shame that they didn't use an orchestral score for the music, but its as stellar as ever.

They even kept that fecking annoying Owl that tricks you into repeating his dialogue :mad:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Blow it out of your arse.

But in all seriousness, this is the sort of game that baffles me. It baffles me because there's still people who dislike Nintendo and want them to fail, or still think the 3DS has horrible 3D graphics. Sometimes it's not about polygon counts, sometimes it's not about long FMV sequences to tell some pretend deep story, sometimes it's not about having to buy a game and then wait for a patch to actually play it properly.

Sometimes it's just about craft and soul.

Technology may push on and you may get clearer/prettier results, but you certainly only get genius once in a very lonesome while. Whereas Nintendo seem to hit home more often than not, that's why they are still around and that's why the likes of M$ and $ony still to this date try to emulate.

WeasteDevil

It all goes to show at the end of the day how much of a rip-off merchant Apple is. 3G 16GB iPhone 4 unlocked in the US - $649. Hardware wise, it's a down-powered Vita, Vita could actually run iOS better than an iPhone or an iPad.

WeasteDevil

We had this earlier in the thread. The US price does not include things such as 21% VAT, higher labour costs and social security costs, higher corporate taxes, higher transports costs within the EU, localisation in terms of language, etc. You can't simply pluck an exchange rate out of your arse and expect equality.

Kaos

We had this earlier in the thread. The US price does not include things such as 21% VAT, higher labour costs and social security costs, higher corporate taxes, higher transports costs within the EU, localisation in terms of language, etc. You can't simply pluck an exchange rate out of your arse and expect equality.
I don't care. A PSV is not worth £250 to me since I'm not bothered by its 1st party titles, and also the fact I already have a 3DS.

$250 on the other hand..

WeasteDevil

NINTENDO 3DS PRICE DROPS TO $169.99, AS GREAT VALUE AND NEW 3D GAMES COME TOGETHER

Star Fox 64 3D, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 and Kid Icarus: Uprising Prep Nintendo 3DS for a Strong Holiday Season

REDMOND, Wash., July 28, 2011 – Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™ system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world's most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

"For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now," said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. "We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games."

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who's Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season.

In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.

A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color "Virtual Console" games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo's most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost.

By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi's Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Remember that Nintendo 3DS features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Nintendo 3DS - Official Website at Nintendo.
My god, that's one hell of a price drop. I knew that it wasn't selling too well, but that's some drastic action there.

Member 39557

My god, that's one hell of a price drop. I knew that it wasn't selling too well, but that's some drastic action there.
Indeed, they're obviously intent on establishing a strong foothold before the Vita arrives. To be honest, I might consider picking one up if the price drop is that significant.

WeasteDevil

Apparently, according to their earnings report, they only sold 770k 3DS in the last quarter world wide, and as you say with Vita coming along they need to move, but even still, that price drop is massive for such a young piece of hardware. They really need to differentiate it from the DS though, because I truly think that the majority of consumers think that it's simply a DS revision with 3D. Those not interested in 3D will keep going for the cheaper DS. The naming of the thing was a massive mistake IMO. The goal posts have moved as well with iOS and Android taking a lot of the casual crowd.

Member 39557

Apparently, according to their earnings report, they only sold 770k 3DS in the last quarter world wide, and as you say with Vita coming along they need to move, but even still, that price drop is massive for such a young piece of hardware. They really need to differentiate it from the DS though, because I truly think that the majority of consumers think that it's simply a DS revision with 3D. Those not interested in 3D will keep going for the cheaper DS. The naming of the thing was a massive mistake IMO. The goal posts have moved as well with iOS and Android taking a lot of the casual crowd.
That was a criticism of the WII-U name for their new home console too.

It will be an interesting few months. They have some Mario titles and Starfox coming out along with the recent Ocarina remake. If these titles coupled with the price drop fail to sell the system then it could be a bit of a disaster.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo's most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost.

By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi's Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

WeasteDevil

Crazy thing is that in the last quarter the PS2, yes the PS2, sold as many as the DS, double the 3DS, and not much less than the Wii. Only 400k less than the PS3 and 300k less than XB360 for the quarter. :lol:

If we go all the way back to when XB360 was launched, it's not far short of selling more units than XB360 or PS3 in the same time scale. It's the cash cow that just keeps on giving. WTF!

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Crazy thing is that in the last quarter the PS2, yes the PS2, sold as many as the DS, double the 3DS, and not much less than the Wii. Only 400k less than the PS3 and 300k less than XB360 for the quarter. :lol:

If we go all the way back to when XB360 was launched, it's not far short of selling more units than XB360 or PS3 in the same time scale. It's the cash cow that just keeps on giving. WTF!
I remember reading on neogaf that since its realease, the PS3 has sold 50m units, whilst the PS2 has sold 50.1m:lol:

WeasteDevil

At this rate the Wii will be put to bed and the PS2 will still be selling! Emerging markets eh? No hardware costs, pure profit, no need to develop much software as its library is massive as is (just need to press more DVDs), full of shit and also full of high quality. Crazy, crazy machine!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Recent heavy price drop of 3DS and a bonus I just got at work put together made me very keen in a purchase. How many interesting games are out there, realistically? Zelda looks top notch, Resident Evil is another title I definitely want to play, Driver will be out in three weeks and looks solid as well. Anything else?

Member 39557

Recent heavy price drop of 3DS and a bonus I just got at work put together made me very keen in a purchase. How many interesting games are out there, realistically? Zelda looks top notch, Resident Evil is another title I definitely want to play, Driver will be out in three weeks and looks solid as well. Anything else?
Streetfighter 4, Starfox if it's out?

Sarni

I'm growing frustrated with this system before I even bought it. There are about three solid games, each costing $30 at least, with about three more to come within the next six months. There isn't even a Mario or a Donkey Kong game that would sell the system. I'm not going to buy Street Fighter or Asphalt because I could get the exact same game for a iPhone for a few dollars. How are they going to compete with it?

I'm probably going to buy it anyway but I'm starting to reconsider it if all I'm going to do with it is to complete Zelda and then stuck it on the shelf.

Sarni

You can play Street Fighter on a touch screen? :eek:

How? :lol:
I've not played it but I imagine buttons will pop up on a screen or I will simply tap random parts of the screen to generate desired moves. It might not be that bad, I've played Fight Night and MMA and both worked very well.

WeasteDevil

I'm not having it. People buy dedicated arcade sticks to play games like that, you can't do it on a touch screen and it be the same game.

Lambs, I know you like all of this new fangled casual stuff, but you wouldn't seriously play a racing game by tilting your screen to steer on say an iPad over even some sticks over a proper setup with a wheel now would you? My brother in law has a decent looking racing game on his iPad, god knows what it's called, and when he sees my son playing GT5 he always sits next to him and starts playing it, my son just looks at it and says meh! WTF is that shit?

Sarni

I'm not having it. People buy dedicated arcade sticks to play games like that, you can't do it on a touch screen and it be the same game.

Lambs, I know you like all of this new fangled casual stuff, but you wouldn't seriously play a racing game by tilting your screen to steer on say an iPad over even some sticks over a proper setup with a wheel now would you? My brother in law has a decent looking racing game on his iPad, god knows what it's called, and when he sees my son playing GT5 he always sits next to him and starts playing it, my son just looks at it and says meh! WTF is that shit?
Well, if you only want to have a fight or complete one or two races every now and again to keep you occupied for five minutes, then there is nothing wrong with playing this sort of games on an iPhone or iPad, especially as you are likely to have devices with you at all times. It's not supposed to replace a PS3 or an Xbox in terms of gaming, it's just a thing to keep you occupied when you're bored and have no alternative of playing any of the above, like for example when I took my car to get it washed today and waited 45 mins while they were doing it - I would have been bored to death but played Driver on my iPhone instead, then switched to FIFA and beat Arsenal 3-1 with some crisp passes.

WeasteDevil

Well, if you only want to have a fight or complete one or two races every now and again to keep you occupied for five minutes, then there is nothing wrong with playing this sort of games on an iPhone or iPad, especially as you are likely to have devices with you at all times. It's not supposed to replace a PS3 or an Xbox in terms of gaming, it's just a thing to keep you occupied when you're bored and have no alternative of playing any of the above, like for example when I took my car to get it washed today and waited 45 mins while they were doing it - I would have been bored to death but played Driver on my iPhone instead, then switched to FIFA and beat Arsenal 3-1 with some crisp passes.
That may be the case, but what you are playing is something different to the original game. It might have the same name, it might look similar, but it cannot play in the same way, it's not possible. You are playing something different, and that's fine. There is no way that a touch screen can be used for most traditional game types without changing the game itself, it's not possible. My thumb can cover an entire d-pad, but at least I know from tactile feedback where my thumb is and what it is pressing down on. Not only with a touch screen do my two thumbs now cover over 1/3 of the screen, I have zero clue as to where they actually are or what they are "pressing", because, well, you aren't actually pressing anything, you are making touch based gestures.

Sarni

Comparing it to DS though it's not really that much worse in terms of controls and offers the same sort of entertainment for much less money when it comes to pricing of games, and you don't need to carry additional device. Vita will be slightly different as it's going to have a wider library of games as it seems and it will be much more powerful than iPhone 4 (cannot comment on a difference between that and smartphones that will be on the market at the time of Vita release).

Member 39557

You can play Street Fighter on a touch screen? :eek:

How? :lol:

I had a 30 second blast on it in a shop and I used the normal buttons. I would have played longer, but my nephew was practically salivating to have a go, so I stood aside.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I was playing the original 2 championship edition and it works better than the d-pad on a 360 controller (that's not saying something).

It works because they've made the controls (buttons on the bottom of the screen) a slight more lapse. I can pull off all the moves at will, which in reality makes it even better than an arcade stick for that purpose.

Lambs, I know you like all of this new fangled casual stuff, but you wouldn't seriously play a racing game by tilting your screen to steer on say an iPad over even some sticks over a proper setup with a wheel now would you?
Are you kidding me? How the hell do you get the opinion that I like this casual shit? You must be mad man!

My brother in law has a decent looking racing game on his iPad, god knows what it's called, and when he sees my son playing GT5 he always sits next to him and starts playing it, my son just looks at it and says meh! WTF is that shit?
There is no such thing as a decent racing game on the iPhone! It can't possibly work, especially for someone like me who ONLY plays racing games with feedback wheels.