Gaming Nintendo 3DS vs PS Vita thread.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I wanted to buy 3DS a few times, and again this month but them had a look at game list and realized there is basically nothing to play for this. There's Zelda and new Mario and that's about it, Starfox looks interesting for most but doesn't do the trick for me. Why does an 1-year old system have such poor game library?

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
There are quite a few good games out now IMO, but what I might like, you might not so I guess it just depends.

Anyway, some recent US sales;

- Super Mario 3D Land is the fastest selling portable Mario game in company history
- sold more than 500,000 units since launch
- last week's 3DS sales tripled (by 325%)
- the week of Super Mario 3D Land's debut, sales rose 49% over the previous week
Super Mario 3D Land, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and Wii all see record-breaking sales | GoNintendo - What are YOU waiting for?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
There are quite a few good games out now IMO, but what I might like, you might not so I guess it just depends.

Anyway, some recent US sales;

Super Mario 3D Land, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and Wii all see record-breaking sales | GoNintendo - What are YOU waiting for?
Zelda and Mario look like great fun, but the likes of Ghost Recon etc. are supposed to be terrible really. I am not convinced by something like Asphalt either seeing as it's a game that costs a dollar for an iPhone or iPad.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Ghost Recon is supposed to be a good game. I haven't played it but it got mostly positive reviews - Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars Critic Reviews for 3DS.

Overall I have been pretty happy with the games so far, although there's been lots of new DS games that I've been playing too though so those took up quite a bit of portable gaming time.

Super Mario 3D Land is awesome though.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I didn't do bad on the price ,Tesco do an in-store deal of any 3ds (I got metallic red) and Mario land for £149 and we had £20 or unused points so I chucked that into Zelda and got the lot for £160. That's more like it! Now for Streetfighter tomorrow for a tenner, and I'm golden. Though it's tough to cram this lot in with Skyward sword and Metroid Prime trilogy (finally got round to it).

Redlambs

Ah yeah that's a good price, and the red one looks great.

BTW if you like the original Kid Icarus game don't forget to register two of your games for a free download of the 3D Classics version - Free 3D Classics Kid Icarus game when you register your purchases | Nintendo 3DS - Nintendo
Yep, already done. I have literally tons of back catalogue games I should register for stars, because you get nintendo points with them, but I've never done it before. Kid Icarus is too good an opportunity to miss!

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I always register my games right away. The only rewards I've ever got from there are a couple of notebooks. Hopefully one day I'll finally manage to get a game or something :p

WeasteDevil

Yep. Since it's much more interesting than anything else of late, I suspect I'll enjoy it :)
Typical Nintendo ball though no? Underpowered hardware not much of an update from what they had before, nicely repackaged with a gimmick that nobody really needed, forcing people to buy it for the 1st party titles and letting most then buy 3rd party shovelware crap. Amirite?

Neo_Mufc

Have ordered my 3ds just for the mario game. I hope its the shizzle.

Kaos

Bought my 3DS near release and sold it very soon after.

I think I'll still wait for the new phoenix wright game

Kaos

Was it that bad? Have you played the new mario?
I know it sounds unusual, but I've never particularly been a fan of the Nintendo franchises such as Mario and Zelda. What I really loved about the DS was its huge library which would attract all sorts of 3rd party support, which is where my favourite DS games came from.

When I bought the 3DS at launch I realised there was nothing beyond the usual Nintendo franchises, none of which particularly excited me...not even Ocarina of Time which had me bored (Yeh, I said it!). There wasn't really much yet going for it in terms of 3rd party support.

Though I suppose if you like your Marios, Kid Icarus etc then you'll probably find much to like about the 3DS.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I do like it, it has all the typical hallmarks of a Mario game, and it looks superb :)

However it is far too easy so far, and there's something sluggish about Mario's movement which is surprising and slightly annoying.
Yeah it's quite easy, there are a few trickier bits (well for me anyway) as you go on. Plus...

Once you've completed the eight worlds...
there might be eight special worlds with six levels in each, which might take a few of your lives :D

Havak

Pokemon master
Typical Nintendo ball though no? Underpowered hardware not much of an update from what they had before, nicely repackaged with a gimmick that nobody really needed, forcing people to buy it for the 1st party titles and letting most then buy 3rd party shovelware crap. Amirite?
I wouldn't agree on the underpowered point. This is just about capable of producing Wii-like graphics. I got Mario Kart 7 last week and it looks better than Mario Kart Wii. For a handheld console these kind of graphics are perfectly fine, and from the looks of things games like Resident Evil and Monster Hunter will be more than good enough for the realistic graphic freaks out there. Graphics tend to amaze you for a few minutes and then it's all about the game.

I got Super Mario 3D Land before launch, it was easy for a while but then it gets far more challenging. It's packed with content and I've unlocked the special crown level for getting the 5 stars on my save file. Top quality game but once you've done everything, you're unlikely to touch it again.

Mario Kart on the other hand, I can see myself playing this for years online. I was still playing Mario Kart Wii quite often up until the release of this. I've done every cup, got all the karts and characters, and I have at least a 2-star ranking on all of the cups as well. My VR is about 2000 online, I'm really enjoying this.

I've read that the red version of the 3DS is almost sold out everywhere now and the other colours are going pretty fast. This is finally the must-have, it's beating the original DS sales in its first year already and it still has four months to go. The games library is improving and there has already been more third party games worth getting on the 3DS than I can remember on the original DS. Yet, it'll still have its critics. Mainly people who want a Vita, or just love to bash Nintendo for their previous mistakes. This console is turning into a winner now and I think it will continue to be hot for most of next year as well. Anyone still arguing this point is being a bit ignorant.

sev_franklin

Nice post! Agree with it all. Both the new Mario Games are a lot of fun. Worth the money.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
The first Resident Evil: Revelations review is in from GamesMaster. They gave it 91%.

"The game to convince Resi fans that the series is back to its best."
"One of the scariest games ever committed to handheld, and a spectacular return to form."
"A corking setting for Revelations, with a choking atmosphere trapped inside its creaking hull."

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
Sales of the 3DS are surging right now, it is on track to 1 million units a week until Christmas if supply holds up.

Redlambs

As was pointed out, it would have probably sold this well at the start if it had more titles and even more so a different name that made it stand out as a new system.

However in the new year will probably be the perfect time to get one as game prices are falling, there's a second hand market now and more and more good titles are coming out. Although it's not bad at the moment, I paid £150 for the metallic red and Mario Land and I'm happy with that, plus games like Streetfighter and Splinter Cell are already around the £15 and even Starfox is now sub £20.

Havak

Pokemon master
For everyone with a 3DS already, the System Update is live today (was supposed to start tomorrow).

We get 3D Video Recording, 3D Stop Motion Recording, StreetPass Quest II (which adds loads of new hats!), new puzzles for Puzzle Swap, the ability for StreetPass Mii Plaza to use SpotPass, unlockable achievements for Mii Plaza, unlockable soundtrack for Mii Plaza, a map that gets filled in when we meet more people via StreetPass. The ability for the 3DS to scan non-Mii QR codes and launch their content via the internet browser (but still no flash T_T).

Also, the eShop will be able to have downloadable demos now, although none are up right now (after all, eShop is updated on Thursdays).

And lastly, the ability to do a complete 3DS to 3DS data transfer.

Now, I'm not really arsed about most of the stuff there, but they're all nice touches which most of us would have expected the 3DS to have at launch. The final thing is the most promising IMO. 3DS to 3DS data transfer. This means that people who bought their console before the Red / White / Zelda 3DS consoles were released can purchase a new colour if they wanted to, send their Ambassador features over and then trade in their old one.

Kaos

The first Resident Evil: Revelations review is in from GamesMaster. They gave it 91%.

"The game to convince Resi fans that the series is back to its best."
"One of the scariest games ever committed to handheld, and a spectacular return to form."
"A corking setting for Revelations, with a choking atmosphere trapped inside its creaking hull."
Hmm, now its tempting me back :)

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
For everyone with a 3DS already, the System Update is live today (was supposed to start tomorrow).

We get 3D Video Recording, 3D Stop Motion Recording, StreetPass Quest II (which adds loads of new hats!), new puzzles for Puzzle Swap, the ability for StreetPass Mii Plaza to use SpotPass, unlockable achievements for Mii Plaza, unlockable soundtrack for Mii Plaza, a map that gets filled in when we meet more people via StreetPass. The ability for the 3DS to scan non-Mii QR codes and launch their content via the internet browser (but still no flash T_T).

Also, the eShop will be able to have downloadable demos now, although none are up right now (after all, eShop is updated on Thursdays).

And lastly, the ability to do a complete 3DS to 3DS data transfer.

Now, I'm not really arsed about most of the stuff there, but they're all nice touches which most of us would have expected the 3DS to have at launch. The final thing is the most promising IMO. 3DS to 3DS data transfer. This means that people who bought their console before the Red / White / Zelda 3DS consoles were released can purchase a new colour if they wanted to, send their Ambassador features over and then trade in their old one.
Yep, updated last night :) Got to remember to take it out with me to finally get some Streetpass Miis.

Looking forward to the demos too.

Hmm, now its tempting me back :)
:p

I'm looking forward to it. I picked up the original Resident Evil for DS a couple of months ago and it put me right in the mood for a brand new one :D

Japanese sales - Nov 28th - Dec 4th

Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) {2011.12.0*** (¥4.800) - 423.619 / NEW
Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800) - 73.907 / 634.868 (+20%)

System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year | YTD | Last YTD | LTD |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 3DS | 205.962 | 120.920 | | 2.883.978 | | 2.883.978 |

WeasteDevil

I wouldn't agree on the underpowered point. This is just about capable of producing Wii-like graphics.
That's as daft as those that say VITA can produce PS3-like graphics? What does that mean exactly? An iPhone is more powerful than a 3DS, so yes, it's underpowered, it's no shock that it sells well with Nintendo software, as Nintendo top line franchises sell well, however it has nothing to do with the quality of the hardware, which, like the Wii, is trash!

Drainy

It has plenty of power for it's purpose, so I'd argue calling it underpowered is daft too ;)
because the one thing Nintendo really needs is to get into a technological arms race with Sony and Microsoft.

I agree with you, Nintendo make the consoles powerful enough to do what they want to do. Let Nintendo keep differentiating through innovation and live within their means as a pure games-based company, let Microsoft and Sony use their vast resources to continually make consoles at a loss and cream Nintendo's best ideas.

I've never played a game for its graphics in my life, I've been wowed by games and I love when a game looks fantastic but its never busted my balls as long as the art is good.
The only thing I'm really looking forward to with more powerful consoles is improved AI.