Gaming Nintendo Switch

GBBQ

Decision made, going to get one tomorrow. Monumental for me as the only Nintendo system I ever owned was a gameboy colour.

Games wise, whats the recommendation? So will be 1 player mostly (my friends all have PS4s) so I'm thinking Mario Odyssey, Zelda and Mario Kart?

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Games wise, whats the recommendation? So will be 1 player mostly (my friends all have PS4s) so I'm thinking Mario Odyssey, Zelda and Mario Kart?
I don't think Mario Kart is interesting as a single player game. Everything's unlocked from the off so there's not that much to do. And you'll just end up being way better than your friends. It's a great multiplayer game though.

I like my indie games so I picked up Stardew Valley and Golf Story for a bit more than £11 each. I think I'll get SteamWorld Dig 2 (anyone played Heist?) or Mario + Rabbids next. I still need to pick up Mario Odyssey and Zelda though.

GBBQ

I don't think Mario Kart is interesting as a single player game. Everything's unlocked from the off so there's not that much to do. And you'll just end up being way better than your friends. It's a great multiplayer game though.

I like my indie games so I picked up Stardew Valley and Golf Story for a bit more than £11 each. I think I'll get SteamWorld Dig 2 (anyone played Heist?) or Mario + Rabbids next. I still need to pick up Mario Odyssey and Zelda though.
Fair point, was thinking of online multiplayer where billy no mates like me can get matched with others but then i suppose its a mixed bag who you get matched with and not the same as playing it with friends.

Maagge

Fair point, was thinking of online multiplayer where billy no mates like me can get matched with others but then i suppose its a mixed bag who you get matched with and not the same as playing it with friends.
I haven't played it online yet, but others in this thread have as far as I can see. So maybe they'd be able to shed some light on the online experience.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Anybody bought Bayonetta yet? Never played these games so was glad to see them come to the Switch. Was just wondering how they hold up. Specifically in portable mode.

The Bloody-Nine

Played them on other platforms. Do you like Platinum Games' offerings?

Two appears to look identical docked and handheld.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Played them on other platforms. Do you like Platinum Games' offerings?

Two appears to look identical docked and handheld.
Played Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising (think those are Platinum games) and liked those. Also love Devil May Cry. I know those aren't platinum games but Bayonetta gives me Devil May Cry vibes.

Been eager to try them, but i mostly play Switch in handheld so was curious to see how they held up. Reviews seem positive.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'd say go for it but it pisses me off that they're charging full price.
Yeah, agreed. I love that they're porting games over 'cause i never got to play most of them due to the fact that i never owned a Wii U. But charging full price is a slap in the face. Gaming is an expensive hobby, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Please, for the love of God, make a new Donkey Kong game. Preferably in the "Country" series.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Tropical Freeze is coming to Switch. No doubt at full price.
I need another one in the franchise! Having to wait about 20 years after DKC3 for another proper Donkey Kong game has scarred me into thinking they'll forget about the franchise/shove it aside for the more established Nintendo franchises. DKC3 was a pretty big let down after the 1st two as well, but it was alright. I didn't really enjoy DK64 like most but that was probably because I outright sucked at it.

Maagge

How large SD cards do you guys use? I'm thinking of getting one and trying to figure out what would be a reasonable size.

Havak

Pokemon master
How large SD cards do you guys use? I'm thinking of getting one and trying to figure out what would be a reasonable size.
Get at least a 128gb if you're expecting to be downloading games. Go 200+ if you can afford it and want to download a lot of non-first party titles. Nintendo usually manage to keep their file sizes down, but a lot of third party games take up loads of room.

Maagge

Get at least a 128gb if you're expecting to be downloading games. Go 200+ if you can afford it and want to download a lot of non-first party titles. Nintendo usually manage to keep their file sizes down, but a lot of third party games take up loads of room.
Yeah that was what I thought would be a minimum as well.
Usually I will download the indie titles (Stardew Valley, Golf Story, SteamWorld etc.) and get the physical release of the larger games like Zelda and such. I could see myself run out of storage rather quickly if I bought everything from the online store.

Havak

Pokemon master
Yeah that was what I thought would be a minimum as well.
Usually I will download the indie titles (Stardew Valley, Golf Story, SteamWorld etc.) and get the physical release of the larger games like Zelda and such. I could see myself run out of storage rather quickly if I bought everything from the online store.
I think this list contains all current game file sizes on Switch: http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/nintendo_switch_game_file_sizes?start=20

Even massive Nintendo published games like Zelda, Xenoblade and Bayonetta 2 only take up around 13gb each. Whereas third party games like WWE, NBA, LA Noire and Resident Evil Revelations 2 take up well over 20gb each. If you're mostly getting Indie games then I think 128gb will do.

Maagge

I think this list contains all current game file sizes on Switch: http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/nintendo_switch_game_file_sizes?start=20

Even massive Nintendo published games like Zelda, Xenoblade and Bayonetta 2 only take up around 13gb each. Whereas third party games like WWE, NBA, LA Noire and Resident Evil Revelations 2 take up well over 20gb each. If you're mostly getting Indie games then I think 128gb will do.
Oh that's a very helpful list. Thanks a lot.
It does seem like if I stick to my plan of getting physical versions of the larger games 128 GB will last me quite a while.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Can't believe it's been one year of the Switch already. I remember being so apathetic towards it when it was first shown in that reveal trailer. Vowing that i would never buy it and saying how stupid it looked. Never thought i would ever own one, never mind love it. Works flawlessly at what it does and is a real joy to use.

It really is a great console

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I finally caved in and bought Xenoblade. I had to turn the game off after about 10 minutes after listening to the American voices and searched in vain after another language until I learned there was a free Japanese voice DLC available.

Castia

Loved my first year with the Switch, I didn’t realise how useful the console to handheld aspect would be it’s a game changer. Zelda, Mario, Splatoon etc are all great but I really love playing Rocket League on the go, tomorrow is gonna be dead at work due to the weather so I expect to be hammering Rocker League for most of the day :drool:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Any news on os update btw? I really want my switch to have a browser.
Last I heard they were still heavily invested in sorting out their infrastructure for when all the online stuff proper kicks off, so everything else is there but just waiting. I think they realise that if they are going to start charging then it needs to be up to scratch, whether or not it will be is a different matter. But yeah, having stuff like a browser and that would be handy sooner rather than later.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I finally caved in and bought Xenoblade. I had to turn the game off after about 10 minutes after listening to the American voices and searched in vain after another language until I learned there was a free Japanese voice DLC available.
Do yourself a favor and turn off in-battle voices.
Seriously.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Mostly British :lol:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Oh God, Axiom Verge is so bloody good :drool:
Been toying with buying this for so long. Love Super Metroid and this game is obviously highly influenced by that. Switch seems like and ideal console for the game, too.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
So you can finally use gold points of the eshop for discounts. Be lying if i said that I've been waiting for this for long, as I've only just realised that i can get good points for physical releases :lol:

Thought it was only for digital.

Maagge

So you can finally use gold points of the eshop for discounts. Be lying if i said that I've been waiting for this for long, as I've only just realised that i can get good points for physical releases :lol:

Thought it was only for digital.
What's the difference between gold and platinum points?