Gaming Nintendo Switch

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I find it a bit difficult to navigate but I guess I will get used to it. I haven’t played FM for a few years so the game is basically new to me.

I have been playing Celeste for most of the time, wow it’s quite difficult but plenty of fun. I only just realized Thimbleweed Park is 30% cheaper on iPhone but I guess I would never finish it on iPhone without the possibility of using the big screen and it’s generally much easier to navigate on Switch so probably a good choice anyway. The game looks proper fantastic and has great atmosphere too.
That's what I was wondering, I'd expect the menus and the like to be a bit awkward. Nowhere near as awkward as the Vita version, mind.

Find a lot of games are like that. Notably cheaper on other consoles/pc, unless they're released at the same time.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
That's what I was wondering, I'd expect the menus and the like to be a bit awkward. Nowhere near as awkward as the Vita version, mind.

Find a lot of games are like that. Notably cheaper on other consoles/pc, unless they're released at the same time.
Indeed but I find Switch so much better for small indie games due to its portability and the fact it takes two seconds to boot it up. It’s perfectly fine for me to pay 20 or 30 per cent extra.

Thimbleweed Park is genius.

diarm

Would like to hear how you get on with FM on it.
I've had FM for a few months now and I've not touched it since the first couple of weeks. Not sure why exactly but I haven't found it nearly as immersive as the normal game and I found myself getting bored of it quickly. The controls are not as intuitive as usual so navigating the various screens can be a bit of a chore.

Faetheshire86

100 percent'd Hollow Knight the other day. I can't recommend this enough. As a product, it is ridiculous value for money, as a piece of work I've heard it called a masterpiece and I aint about to disagree.

Spent about 30 hours completing the story (although a few of those were spent being lost at one bit in particular), and about another 10-15 hours discovering stuff, because I felt like there was so much still to uncover. I could gush about the visuals, sound design, progression, combat/movement etc. but what shocked me most was how invested in the story/lore I got. There aren't books to read or long winded NPC dialogue. Most of it you soak in through your surroundings.

Contemplating Octopath Traveller next, the demo didn't grip me in the slightest. A lot of the enjoyment will come from how invested in the stories I get, but most of what I seen was pretty underwhelming. Was also shocked to hear the stories aren't intertwined, feels like a missed opportunity.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Indeed but I find Switch so much better for small indie games due to its portability and the fact it takes two seconds to boot it up. It’s perfectly fine for me to pay 20 or 30 per cent extra.

Thimbleweed Park is genius.
I think a lot of them actually suit the small screen in portable mode too. Even thinking of picking up the odd one I already have like Shovel Knight on it. Need Thimbleweed Park at some point too, used to love old Point & Clicks like Broken Sword.

Switch has become by far my most used console overall since I've got it.
I've had FM for a few months now and I've not touched it since the first couple of weeks. Not sure why exactly but I haven't found it nearly as immersive as the normal game and I found myself getting bored of it quickly. The controls are not as intuitive as usual so navigating the various screens can be a bit of a chore.
Cheers! Exactly the kind of thing I was worried about.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
What's the best price you can get for the Nintendo switch these days?
Nintendo haven't dropped the price since launch cause it's selling so well, so it'll be hard to get one. Think your best bet is get a bundle with an essential game like BoTW.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I haven't used my switch much, but updated it about 2 weeks ago and it had a 99% charge, with everything working just fine. Didn't touch it again since. I've turned it on today to update it, but I got a little flashing symbol saying no battery. Fine. Plugged in the official USB-C cable and thought nothing of it, but after a few minutes, I realised I couldn't turn the machine on as it would go to the Nintendo logo and then turn itself off again.

I've come to realise there's something wrong - my machine won't turn on past that battery symbol-Ninteno logo looping cycle, nor will it charge. I've gone online since trying to find out what the issue is and am now aware it's an infamous fault with the Switch? I've tried to do the soft factory reset where you press both volume buttons and the power button at the same time: nothing. So does this mean there's no way to fix this issue other than sending it back to the shop?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
So far I'm enjoying Octopath Traveler. If they had cut out the old-English it'd be a hell of a lot better, it just doesn't feel like it fits with this game.
Hunters who live in the woods speaking like they are in a Shakespeare play is just wrong in my mind.

Enjoyable enough battle system, evolution system etc. Stories are ok but nothing amazing. Playing it is much more fun than Lost Sphear at least.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I haven't used my switch much, but updated it about 2 weeks ago and it had a 99% charge, with everything working just fine. Didn't touch it again since. I've turned it on today to update it, but I got a little flashing symbol saying no battery. Fine. Plugged in the official USB-C cable and thought nothing of it, but after a few minutes, I realised I couldn't turn the machine on as it would go to the Nintendo logo and then turn itself off again.

I've come to realise there's something wrong - my machine won't turn on past that battery symbol-Ninteno logo looping cycle, nor will it charge. I've gone online since trying to find out what the issue is and am now aware it's an infamous fault with the Switch? I've tried to do the soft factory reset where you press both volume buttons and the power button at the same time: nothing. So does this mean there's no way to fix this issue other than sending it back to the shop?
Leave it plugged in for 24 hours, if it doesn't charge then you have to send it back.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

You need to leave it to charge for a bit. It shocked me a bit at first, but it seems to be a thing. Leave it to charge for an hour or so then try again.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Leave it plugged in for 24 hours, if it doesn't charge then you have to send it back.
You need to leave it to charge for a bit. It shocked me a bit at first, but it seems to be a thing. Leave it to charge for an hour or so then try again.
Just got home and tested it after having it docked since writing in here - working! Big relief!

It would not function at all earlier whether plugged in or charged for a good 20min.

Had me scrambling for the reciept and thinking when I'd get time to take it to the shop.

Any ideas on why it completely dies like that? As it's the first time I've seen that, and I've had it in massive periods of downtime (literally months) without charge, and turned it back on with well over 90% still remaining - the 3ds and DS are both remarkable for this, too, btw - so was a first to see it utterly depleted, especially so over a relatively short period of time.

Redlambs

Just got home and tested it after having it docked since writing in here - working! Big relief!

It would not function at all earlier whether plugged in or charged for a good 20min.

Had me scrambling for the reciept and thinking when I'd get time to take it to the shop.

Any ideas on why it completely dies like that? As it's the first time I've seen that, and I've had it in massive periods of downtime (literally months) without charge, and turned it back on with well over 90% still remaining - the 3ds and DS are both remarkable for this, too, btw - so was a first to see it utterly depleted, especially so over a relatively short period of time.
It may be sleep mode doing it and/or the fact it's constantly charging the joycons.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat

I think with the switch battery it doesn't keep any reserve power for it to turn back instantly, not sure though that's how I imagine it.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Nintendo haven't dropped the price since launch cause it's selling so well, so it'll be hard to get one. Think your best bet is get a bundle with an essential game like BoTW.
Cheers for the reply, only just seen it now.

You're definitely right. I was walking past one of those cash converters the other day and I saw one in the window, second hand obviously, being sold for full retail price. No deal to be had just yet but I'll probably only consider it in a few months anyway.

Redlambs

I think with the switch battery it doesn't keep any reserve power for it to turn back instantly, not sure though that's how I imagine it.
It's the opposite, it's that reserve power that runs it down. If you shut it off properly, by holding down the power button, it lasts a whole lot longer. In sleep mode it uses reserve power to do updates and it charges the joycons, that's why it runs down quicker.

EvilChuck

Finally got one today, with Odyssey, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong and Zelda.... which is the only game i have touched so far, 6 hours of gameplay and I have just reached Kakariko village, which I already know is very early in the game (only have 1 extra heart so far). Its been a long time since I have been this engrossed in a video game

Massive Spanner

No, it's a great game!
At what point does it get great?

I honestly can't think of anything great, or not absolutely terrible about it and I'm on chapter 3. The story is drab. The voices are awful. The combat is stupidly confusing yet still manages to be really basic and boring. Everything is over-complicated. It's too easy to die due to stupid over-leveled enemies everywhere you fecking go. The interface sucks. The side-quests are largely awful fetch quests, and make it really difficult to find what you're supposed to.

It's just a horribly frustrating, all over the place, confusing game. I think I've tried giving it at least 7 or 8 tries now after quitting because I hated it and every single damn time I have to stop because I despise the thing so damn much. It can suck my hairy balls.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
At what point does it get great?

I honestly can't think of anything great, or not absolutely terrible about it and I'm on chapter 3. The story is drab. The voices are awful. The combat is stupidly confusing yet still manages to be really basic and boring. Everything is over-complicated. It's too easy to die due to stupid over-leveled enemies everywhere you fecking go. The interface sucks. The side-quests are largely awful fetch quests, and make it really difficult to find what you're supposed to.

It's just a horribly frustrating, all over the place, confusing game. I think I've tried giving it at least 7 or 8 tries now after quitting because I hated it and every single damn time I have to stop because I despise the thing so damn much. It can suck my hairy balls.
Ha, it really kicks off at the end of chapter 3 and the story starts to pick up more steam. If you don't like the voices - did you try it in Japanese with subs? Regarding the combat, I strongly recommend watching videos that properly explain it, it also gets quicker / more fluid as you go along and pick up more abilities.
You just need to avoid the stronger enemies in the world (you're always faster than them when not engaging them) and just don't bother with the side quests - a lot of them are indeed poor.

Massive Spanner

Ha, it really kicks off at the end of chapter 3 and the story starts to pick up more steam. If you don't like the voices - did you try it in Japanese with subs? Regarding the combat, I strongly recommend watching videos that properly explain it, it also gets quicker / more fluid as you go along and pick up more abilities.
You just need to avoid the stronger enemies in the world (you're always faster than them when not engaging them) and just don't bother with the side quests - a lot of them are indeed poor.
Ugh, the thoughts of giving it another go :lol:

So many people tell me it gets good but jaysus I hate it. I might try once more and if I still hate it i'm moving on to Octopath dammit!

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Ugh, the thoughts of giving it another go :lol:

So many people tell me it gets good but jaysus I hate it. I might try once more and if I still hate it i'm moving on to Octopath dammit!
Ugh, Octopath. I'm about five hours in and feel the lack of an overarching story (so far) and the stale battle system really hurt it.

Massive Spanner

Ok finally after 15 hours i'm starting to like Xenoblade 2. Typical JRPG taking forever to tell me the basics of combat.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Got one. It's my first ever Nintendo product, always have been a SEGA/Playstation man. I played a bit from a cousin who was visiting and loved it, and having seen an offer where buying a Switch they would offer a game of my choosing, I didn't hesitate (BOTW of course).

The thing I most enjoyed about it was the way I could play it in a lighter mood and shorter sessions. I always play PS in long sessions, dark room, cigarrettes, full immersion. With this one I feel it's an equally compelling, but lighter and healthier form of entertainment. Will still use the PS4 for a few AA titles (Overwatch, RDR) but overall am thinking of changing my gaming patterns.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I've got to say, Lacrimosa of Dana is the best rpg I've played on the switch so far (9h into it).
It's just so much fun.

Think the only "gripe" I've got so far is that the power of the switch or the games coding is annoying when you see enemies stand still in the distance and they don't do anything unless you get close enough to them.