Gaming Nintendo Switch

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Anyone getting Dead Cells? It looks really cool :drool:
I didn't expect to like it much, I can't remember why.

I was wrong. Very, very wrong. It's an absolute stupid amount of fun.

Tried a little bit of Hollow Knight since, it's not grabbed my like Dead Cells or Shantae: Half Genie Hero has, as far as side scrollers go. Also have Salt & Sanctuary to dig into at some point, and Owlboy is on sale....

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I didn't expect to like it much, I can't remember why.

I was wrong. Very, very wrong. It's an absolute stupid amount of fun.

Tried a little bit of Hollow Knight since, it's not grabbed my like Dead Cells or Shantae: Half Genie Hero has, as far as side scrollers go. Also have Salt & Sanctuary to dig into at some point, and Owlboy is on sale....
Nice one!

I've got Owlboy on my wishlist to buy at some point, it looks so good. I haven't heard of Salt & Sanctuary before.

Just going on Amazon I'm seeing so many indie 2d platformers, it's great :drool:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Isn't it obvious? ❤❤❤
Once you go Nintendo, there's, erm, nowhere else to go

Mans best friend was dog once upon a time...That all changed when the NES came to and the rest is history. Even though I preferred Sonic to Mario

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Anybody playing Dead Cells in the Switch. Heard there's some frame rate issues. I want to get if for the Switch as opposed to PS4, but that's putting me off. For a game like this a steady frame rate is paramount.

Woodzy

Hollow Knight is amazing.

With that said, nearly threw my Switch in a fit of rage last night.

Had 1700 geo and was saving to buy a lantern. I only need another 100 but as I was farming I came across a new area... needless to say I died at a tricky platforming section and the game decided to place my soul BEYOND the platforming section where I died.

Needless to say... I died again trying to retrieve it.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
There's a bit of backlash against From Software who announced they are releasing a bundle with the 3 souls game on the same day they are releasing the remastered version for the switch.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

Had 1700 geo and was saving to buy a lantern. I only need another 100 but as I was farming I came across a new area... needless to say I died at a tricky platforming section and the game decided to place my soul BEYOND the platforming section where I died.

Yeah I've had my soul stay in boss areas as well which is a bit daunting. At least often you can get the soul before the boss kills you again, so you have a chance of eventually defeating the boss without losing geo.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"

Uhm ... maybe a bit too late but there's actually a way to retrieve it without killing your shadow.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Just bought Okami HD in the Nintendo eShop for about £15, a steal for such a good game, highly recommended for those who didn't play it on the Wii and are looking for a Zelda substitute.

Woodzy

Just seen that Hollow Knight is going on sale on the eShop today.

It’s honestly looking to make my top games of all time at the moment, definitely recommend that anyone that ain’t bought it yet, does so.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

It’s honestly looking to make my top games of all time at the moment, definitely recommend that anyone that ain’t bought it yet, does so.
What makes it great?

Twins

What makes it great?
I haven't played Axiom Verge (yet) however I can second Hollow Knight - it's has such an amazing atmosphere and the boss fights are fun, plus it's huge!
It really gets the feeling of being a tiny cog in a huge, depressing world across - very similar to Dark Souls in that way.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
It really gets the feeling of being a tiny cog in a huge, depressing world across - very similar to Dark Souls in that way.
Saw a review, looks a lot like Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow, but I'm not sure if it has a leveling system?

Twins

Saw a review, looks a lot like Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow, but I'm not sure if it has a leveling system?
Well, you can upgrade your equipment/health and buy new charms - basically skill enhancements like gain more money from enemies, have more striking range, stronger spells ... although the amount of those that you can have active at the same time is limited.

So not a classic RPG level system but there are ways to get stronger.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Well, you can upgrade your equipment/health and buy new charms - basically skill enhancements like gain more money from enemies, have more striking range, stronger spells ... although the amount of those that you can have active at the same time is limited.

So not a classic RPG level system but there are ways to get stronger.
Not fully for me then. As much as i love Aria of sorrow I never loved the other metroidvania games. Might pick it up in the far future when my backlog is smaller. :)

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat

It's incredible that a game with this much content and a price of 15$ is going on sale 2 months in!

Woodzy

What makes it great?
The art style and sound design are both incredible.

The world is huge, with lots of interesting and charming characters and some pretty in-depth lore (which I don’t quite understand yet as I’m only about half way through).

Gameplay has all the great elements from your typical Metroidvania games and gives a great sense of progression, pieced together with a Dark Souls style difficulty curve and some really tough (but great) boss battles.

There is absolutely tons to do and collect, and it’s very easy to get lost, especially when you enter a new area and don’t have a map.

Coxy

Hollow Knight is incredible - but bloody hard. It's actually putting me off finishing the game.

b82REZ

So frustrating. I just bought it yesterday

Brilliant game though

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Anyone else really excited about tomorrows nindies? I'm hoping we get release dates for No More Heroes, Child of Light, Hyper Light Drifter, Wargroove, and many new announcements hopefully, hopefully they annojnce hd remakes for No More Heroes 1 & 2.

Woodzy

So I’ve completed Hollow Knight.
Still have a shit ton of stuff to do but it makes my top 5 games I think.

One thing I want to find out more about is the lore/story. Could anyone expand on this without spoiling anything beyond the the first/most basic ending? I assume the other endings may help explain things a bit but I really can’t piece anything together at the moment.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Guys, if I buy Smash, will we say some organization on caf of some sort of play sessions? Thats the mean reason I wanted the discord channel to work.

Faetheshire86

One thing I want to find out more about is the lore/story. Could anyone expand on this without spoiling anything beyond the the first/most basic ending? I assume the other endings may help explain things a bit but I really can’t piece anything together at the moment.
Yip I adored it too, could easily be in my top 5 games of all time.

Here's my very brief and rough understanding of the events which lead to the start of the game. You may find out some of this while going for alternate endings, but it's hard to differentiate.

There was a queen who sort of enslaved the bugs of Hallownest. The pale king showed up and gave the bugs sentience, so they started worshiping him. The queen got mad and started to infect the bugs and turned them feral again. The king used void to create an empty vessel to lock away the queen. The vessel (aka The Hollow Knight) was kept in the black egg and 3 seals were placed upon it. However the infection started to spread again, the king disappeared and Hollownest was basically abandoned. For some unknown reason the knight (aka the player) is drawn back to Hallownest, which sets in motion the events of the game.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat

I think it's my 2nd favorite game this year after God of War so far.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I've read some positive reviews of the Monster Hunter thing for the Switch. But I tried the demo for a little bit and the controls just felt really heavy (it didn't help that I couldn't see a tutorial anywhere so I had no idea what I was doing). Anyway, what's the deal with this game? I've never played a Monster Hunter game before.

Shark

@NotShark
Finally picked up Mario Kart while it’s 33% off on the store, along with Dead Cells. Having a blast finishing off Inside at the minute too.

God I love this console. :drool:

b82REZ

Deepnest is horrible on Hollow Knight. Not sure where to go. I ended up going down some paths that were pitch black so I've just farmed the 1800 geo to get the lantern.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Firmware 6.0.0 leaked, not much new on the user front, 4 new Captain Toad avatars, cloud saves, nes and snes controllers support added, eshop overhaul, thats about it, no messaging system added, no themes, no web browser or new web apps.