Gaming Nintendo Switch

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Why is it crazy when the price is the same as the competition?

Everybody likes to shit on Nintendo, but then complain when the same COD and FIFA is released every year. It's ironic.
Because the new console is massively less powered than a PS4/XBone.

I've been a huge Nintendo fan since the release of the NES in the UK and I will always want them to succeed over Sony or Microsoft. But the Switch just looks massively overpriced when you consider the graphical capabilities of the console, a ridiculously small amount of internal storage and a lacklustre launch games line up.

Member 39557

Bit overpriced, controllers are stupidly priced and the battery life isn't great. Seems like they have a job on their hands.

This looks great though!

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Benefits to getting a Xbox One (/S)

- Backwards compatible with 20% of Xbox 360 library. Including Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect, Halo(s), Gears of War(s), Witcher 2, etc. Likely forward compatible with future consoles.
- Red Dead Redemption and GTA V

Benefits to getting a PS4 (/Pro)

- Huge library of GOTY games like Witcher 3, Last of Us, Uncharted 4, Uncharted Legacy, Skyrim Special Edition, GTA V
- Games like Fallout 4, DOOM, Rocket League etc can be picked up for £10

Benefits to getting a Switch

- Pokemon on TV, eventually
- Splatoon, Mario Kart, etc, eventually.
- Zelda at launch, but it's still a WiiU title.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I will just have all of them no problem. Getting Switch the very first minute it launches. I only regret they are probably not going to release NBA 2K17 for it, only 2K18 and I will have to get two versions then - one for Switch to carry around and PS4 for local multiplayer and playing at home. NBA 2K is the only thing that matters anyway.

NM

I've been a huge Nintendo fan since the release of the NES in the UK and I will always want them to succeed over Sony or Microsoft. But the Switch just looks massively overpriced when you consider the graphical capabilities of the console, a ridiculously small amount of internal storage and a lacklustre launch games line up.
Nobody ever expected Nintendo to release a power console it's just not what they do. You buy a Nintendo (in general) because it is a different experience, not for graphics. I think the Switch will struggle too (but due to the $299) not the accessories and games being expensive. I just find it funny how folks online are always so down on them. Even if the switch fails, the 3ds will keep them going.

Garethw

Bit overpriced, controllers are stupidly priced and the battery life isn't great. Seems like they have a job on their hands.

This looks great though!

That looks fantastic. It's a shame that it's not a launch title.

rcoobc

Allegedly the GPU is more powerful than the Xbox One standard (less powerful than a PS4 standard). But it has slower and less RAM which will hurt it.

rcoobc

Battery life seems fine to me, not too different than the 3DS :lol:

Garethw

Nobody ever expected Nintendo to release a power console it's just not what they do. You buy a Nintendo (in general) because it is a different experience, not for graphics. I think the Switch will struggle too (but due to the $299) not the accessories and games being expensive. I just find it funny how folks online are always so down on them. Even if the switch fails, the 3ds will keep them going.
If the £280 price included a game, or the joy pad then half of the negativity surrounding the launch price would have disappeared.
Nintendo are walking a very thin tight rope imo.

Member 39557

This looks amazing too, will get it on the Wiiu though. Can't see myself getting a switch at the moment. If I do, it'll be after I've cleared my current backlog of games I need to play.

Garethw

It's amazing how all the "leaks" concerning price and release date were all completely wrong :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
For the first time since the original Wii, I was interested in a Nintendo console and seeing the image of Street Fighter got me even more excited. Then I saw the price and battery life... not buying.

NM

If the £280 price included a game, or the joy pad then half of the negativity surrounding the launch price would have disappeared.
Nintendo are walking a very thin tight rope imo.
It does include the joy cons?

NM

For the first time since the original Wii, I was interested in a Nintendo console and seeing the image of Street Fighter got me even more excited. Then I saw the price and battery life... not buying.
The battery life is the same as the 3ds, the best selling hand help. I'm probably not getting it myself (till the holidays) but the reasons people are saying no is mystifying.

The price is the only reason IMO

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Strong rumour that the third game to Sun & Moon will be exclusive on this and will change things up a bit. It may be a little strange for fans of the games for the last 10 years where it's been on the DS and made some good leaps utilizing two screens, going back to one. There is an App on the 3DS called Pokémon Bank (lets you store up to 3000 Pokémon from any game you plug in) and through a bit of fiddling with GameBoy Advance games, the original DS / DS Lite models, and this App, it is possible even now to have your Pokémon from Ruby/Sapphire from 2003~ (FireRed/LeafGreen/Emerald a little later) in the current games. It is strongly rumoured that an updated version of Pokémon Bank will be available on the Switch, but it will act as more of a one-way system to transfer Pokémon to this next game. At the moment (well come later this month), you can send Pokémon from previous games to Sun & Moon (even including from Pokémon Red, Blue, and Yellow on the Virtual Console downloads). You can even send them back to previous games provided they do not have any newly released moves, abilities etc (or aren't a new species entirely).

I don't think this game will be announced this weekend though. They won't want to deter people from buying Sun & Moon already, so will probably wait until at least e3, if not give it its own Nintendo Direct presentation like last time. My expectation for release would be around October/November this year.
If they could release an updated Pokemon Bank that completely tidies up the movement of Pokes right back from the earliest games (GBA and Virtual Console) that would be a nice feather in the new console's cap for me.

I think I'll end up getting one. I enjoy even the limited library of games on the WiiU seemingly more than anyone in the world so if it's a similar story this time that won't be a problem. My main worry is as you say the indifferent (to put it mildly) launch state of the console, particularly when compared with what the XBox and PS4 can do now, will kill it on arrival and it'll be another poor seller from Nintendo.

I have an XBox One which I enjoy immensely but I want to see a strong and thriving Nintendo too.

Member 39557

The battery life is the same as the 3ds, the best selling hand help. I'm probably not getting it myself (till the holidays) but the reasons people are saying no is mystifying.

The price is the only reason IMO
I read between 2.5 and 6.5 hours, although that wasn't from the official statements etc. I've never had my 3DSxl die after 2.5 hours.

rcoobc

The Guardian
The presentation, which was streamed live, ended with a surprise revelation: the long-delayed Breath of the Wild, originally planned as an exclusive to the Wii U platform, will go on sale with the new console.
Such a surprise

Garethw

It does include the joy cons?
Yeah the ones that clip onto the tablet and also clip together are mate. I'm talking about an actual physical controller that is similar in looks to the one with the Xbox. I'm old school and prefer something a bit less revolutionary :D

Garethw

If they could release an updated Pokemon Bank that completely tidies up the movement of Pokes right back from the earliest games (GBA and Virtual Console) that would be a nice feather in the new console's cap for me.

I think I'll end up getting one. I enjoy even the limited library of games on the WiiU seemingly more than anyone in the world so if it's a similar story this time that won't be a problem. My main worry is as you say the indifferent (to put it mildly) launch state of the console, particularly when compared with what the XBox and PS4 can do now, will kill it on arrival and it'll be another poor seller from Nintendo.

I have an XBox One which I enjoy immensely but I want to see a strong and thriving Nintendo too.
I will get one. There is no doubt about that. I was expecting to pay about £300 for the console, Zelda and a controller. The fact that I'm now going to have to shell out an extra £80-£100 is very annoying.

Member 39557

Yeah the ones that clip onto the tablet and also clip together are mate. I'm talking about an actual physical controller that is similar in looks to the one with the Xbox. I'm old school and prefer something a bit less revolutionary :D
It is expensive. The Wiiu pro controller was expensive too, although it has 80 hours battery life, so kinda worth it.

You can usb charge the switch in portable mode, so it's not quite as bad as I'd feared.

Member 39557

I'm surprised they haven't done a bundle including Zelda, or something.
They probably will do, but announce it in the next few weeks.

When they launched the wiiu, I got a bundle with Zombie U, Mario and a pro controller.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thats the group think you have to accept these days.

Nintendo ABSOLUTELY made power consoles, they just shit the bed in every other aspect of the console (NG64, GC) and hamstrung them so they were not competitive.

The SNES was a masterclass in home consoles, it was epic.

Nintendo have no choice but to do what they are doing because of their disastrous decisions in the past, the biggest one being not understanding at all why the Wii was successful and trying to capitalize on that.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
3DS sales aren't high enough to carry a company through two failed console launches (yeah, I'm calling this one DoA before it even lands). Even that Wii money will run out someday.

I love Nintendo, but all I wanted was another N64/Gamecube perhaps with some interesting controls. Not a tablet...

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Probably should have waited to release it in the last ¼ and have a killer line up of Zelda, New Mario, Mario Kart

Castia

Why is it crazy when the price is the same as the competition?

Everybody likes to shit on Nintendo, but then complain when the same COD and FIFA is released every year. It's ironic.

Its not though a PS4 controller is £40, the console can be bought between £150-200 and that comes with minimum 500gb HD. Your paying £279 for a console with 32gb HD and no game or a proper gaming controller. It's over £400 for a package with Zelda and Pro controller its absolutely ridiculous even more so given the launch line up.

They should have released it later in the year with Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2 and Zelda with their new online structure (not available until the summer they say) ready to go out of the box, the price would still have been picked on but atleast their would be quality games to argue the point, Unless you're a hardcore Nintendo fan that MUST have the latest gadget who is rushing out to spend upwards of £350 on a new zelda machine (in the opening months at least)

I really wanted to like this (check my earlier posts in the thread) the premise of playing handheld or TV is really appealing for me but the game line up and price is waaaaay out of line. Nintendo shown with the U they need help supplying games for the console, straight away after that conference i get the idea third parties aren't interested, the EA guy looked bored and offered a version of FIFA that we all know will use an out of date engine and probably release 2 months before FIFA 18 drops elsewhere its pointless. The rest spoke about games but literally had nothing to show its was bizarre tbh.

Last edited:

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
2 player anywhere is surely a great selling point, getting to have lunchtime games in work of Mario Kart, Super Bomberman or FIFA/Pro Evo (pending support from Konami/EA of course) would be brilliant.

rcoobc

Thats the group think you have to accept these days.

Nintendo ABSOLUTELY made power consoles, they just shit the bed in every other aspect of the console (NG64, GC) and hamstrung them so they were not competitive.

The SNES was a masterclass in home consoles, it was epic.

Nintendo have no choice but to do what they are doing because of their disastrous decisions in the past, the biggest one being not understanding at all why the Wii was successful and trying to capitalize on that.
Well, I mean they definitely could have made a few different decisions. I agree with their decision to merge the two console lines, but not much else.
Probably should have waited to release it in the last ¼ and have a killer line up of Zelda, New Mario, Mario Kart
That would make far too much sense for nintendo :lol:

rcoobc

Did they mention Pokemon at all?

Pokemon, Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, and 1-2-Switch at launch, plus £199 launch price and you've got a success. This - failure.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Unless Im reading wrong, but their version of free games for PS plus, you only actually get the game for 1 month…then its gone?

WTF?

Havak

Pokemon master
The price is slightly higher than expected (I thought £249.99), but it isn't a deal breaker for me. People are too quick to believe rumours are set in stone and become way too disappointed when things aren't quite correct.

One disappointment was the lack of release games shown. Japan have their list, but I haven't seen a fully fledged European release day list yet (ours is definitely different looking at 4-5 of the games Japan has got). It's looking like Zelda, Lego City, Bomberman, and 1, 2 Switch are the first four for us, maybe the 99th remake of Street Fighter 2 as well. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will be great, but that isn't coming for about 7-8 weeks after launch. Part of me thinks they just wanted to stagger the first party stuff to make sure people buy each one of them and only play one at a time. It makes sense to give Zelda as much of a push as possible on release, considering it will be on Wii U as well which may cut sales slightly.

The same people who want Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, and Splatoon 2 on the day of launch are the same people saying £280 and buying one of these games is too pricey...

GAME aren't doing Nintendo any favours in terms of pricing. Things like a Pro Controller and Joy Cons being £65 and £75 is not going to be the case IMO. I would be surprised if they don't end up being significantly cheaper elsewhere (although extra ones aren't a necessity anyway).

Paying for online come Autumn isn't great, but if it improves stability and we finally have an account feature with free games given to us, then I'm all for that as well. At least we get to test it out for free for a few months first.

I'm probably going to be a sucker and buy the Limited Edition Zelda...

Member 39557

Unless Im reading wrong, but their version of free games for PS plus, you only actually get the game for 1 month…then its gone?

WTF?
I think PS + is shite too to be fair, because as soon as you stop paying, you can't use the games so you effectively rent the games. Surely Nintendo can't limit it to a month? That would be dumb, even for Nintendo!

rcoobc

I'm sure it's just a mistranslation. It must be "you can get a free game each month". Not, "you get a free game for a month". Right?