Gaming Nintendo Switch

starman

I think this will be their dreamcast.
That was the wii u, but nintendo have a massive cash reserve so dont see them going under anytime soon.

Dreamcast was extremely hard to develop for. The switch is supposed to be the easiest console to develop for. The problem is the initial price. They should not be trying to compete with the xbox and playstation as they will be in direct competition. They should be taking the same strategy as the wii, which was cheaper then the 360 and ps3, but complemented both, although that was overprice as it was just a rebundled gamecube, but because of demand retailers managed to stick to the rrp for so long

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
In a good way or a bad way?
Ultimately bad as it was Sega's last console, the good in that it will probably be a decent system just not enough to save Nintendo.

That was the wii u, but nintendo have a massive cash reserve so dont see them going under anytime soon.

Dreamcast was extremely hard to develop for. The switch is supposed to be the easiest console to develop for. The problem is the initial price. They should not be trying to compete with the xbox and playstation as they will be in direct competition. They should be taking the same strategy as the wii, which was cheaper then the 360 and ps3, but complemented both, although that was overprice as it was just a rebundled gamecube, but because of demand retailers managed to stick to the rrp for so long
In the gaming world it's hard to come back from 2 failed consoles, they NEED this one to be a success. If it doesn't sell well, I think Nintendo will go down a non-console route in the future.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Probably should have waited to release it in the last ¼ and have a killer line up of Zelda, New Mario, Mario Kart
That would have made much more sense.
I guess they were worried sick about being blown out of the water by the new Xbox (which I think is launching just before Xmas)which will probably be £100 more expensive but 10 times as powerful.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It's not even funny.

Mario Kart 8, Pokemon Sun/Moon, these are straight up ports with a little more content.. they can't not have them for release surely?

starman

Ultimately bad as it was Sega's last console, the good in that it will probably be a decent system just not enough to save Nintendo.

In the gaming world it's hard to come back from 2 failed consoles, they NEED this one to be a success. If it doesn't sell well, I think Nintendo will go down a non-console route in the future.
It will be more successful then the wii u, i am very confident of that, but if they get the initial launch right it could be a run away success like the wii. I remember when that came out and retailers were out of stock for months which grew demand even more, even if alot of people saw the console as a novelty.
The thing is this does not have a novelty feel about it. It has genuine hours of gameplay and especially in groups, the problem is how many will be dropping £280 to obtain it.

Member 39557

It's not even funny.

Mario Kart 8, Pokemon Sun/Moon, these are straight up ports with a little more content.. they can't not have them for release surely?
They probably want to stagger the releases so there's no software drought.

rcoobc

Didn't Nintendo start out making all sorts? What do they own/make, apart from games consoles and video games now?

Sony are one of the "big three" music labels, "big six" film studios, one of big two/tree video game console manufacturers, and one of the largest video game studios. They make phones, stereos, tvs, etc.

Despite this, Nintendo have a larger net worth than Sony...

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Didn't Nintendo start out making all sorts? What do they own/make, apart from games consoles and video games now?

Sony are one of the "big three" music labels, "big six" film studios, one of big two/tree video game console manufacturers, and one of the largest video game studios. They make phones, stereos, tvs, etc.

Pokemon Go

Havak

Pokemon master

Having a big part in Game Freak / Pokémon probably goes a long, long way. The amount of Pokémon products is astonishing. You'd probably think that it isn't as popular as it was 15+ years ago, but it really is. Stuffed toys, trading cards, anime and movies. It is a massive cow spurting yen flavoured milk all over them repeatedly and they love it.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Game have got the Zelda pre order price st £59.99 for the switch. £20 more expensive than the WiiU version.

starman

Nintendo started out as a card game company, then toys, then video games.

Sony at heart is audio and were pioneers(walkman etc), which they followed on with TVs(trinitron), but everything else bar the gaming has be subpar. There's nothing special about them anymore. Nintendo's value is in its rich intellectual property

Member 39557

Sony at heart is audio and were pioneers(walkman etc), which they followed on with TVs(trinitron), but everything else bar the gaming has be subpar. There's nothing special about them anymore. Nintendo's value is in its rich intellectual property
They make some of the best camera image sensors in the world.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

Sony has been hit very hard in profits from some of its other businesses, TV for one. The PlayStation division was propping them up, probably still is.

rcoobc

Sony have lots of special properties:

Films; Spidermans, Jumanji, Men in Black series, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Hotel Transylvania, about a million Will Smith movies, etc

Games; Uncharted, Last of Us, LittleBigPlanet, Driveclub (closed studio!), Last Guardian, inFamous, Bloodbourne, etc

Music cba to look at. Lots of intellectual property there, although lacking a real hit film recently.

Bojan11

Knew this would happen.

Charging £280 for a console that comes with only 32GB and no game in 2017. £50 for remastered games. £70 for controllers. Charging for online, when your online infrastructure is basic and you need to use a phone to get some of the features.

Nintendo have lost the plot. I did say a few months ago that Nintendo would screw around with the price. It may not be in competition with the other two. But it can supplement them. Nobody is going to pay £280 for a supplemental console.

Member 39557

Not the best. Nor are they the leaders in photography
Their sensors are amongst the best. They recently released the fastest focusing mirrorless camera in the world, with more focus points on the sensor than anybody else. They are very good. Other camera and smartphone companies use their sensors.
They're not leaders in terms of their cameras/camera sales though, but their sensor division is highly regarded..

starman

Sony have lots of special properties:

Films; Spidermans, Jumanji, Men in Black series, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Hotel Transylvania, about a million Will Smith movies, etc

Games; Uncharted, Last of Us, LittleBigPlanet, Driveclub (closed studio!), Last Guardian, inFamous, Bloodbourne, etc

Music cba to look at. Lots of intellectual property there, although lacking a real hit film recently.
Spiderman is their biggest asset. But they lose that back to Marvel/Disney if they dont make a film every certain amount of years, and they only own the film rights. The rest are long in the tooth or have not even heard of.
Gamewise, alot can be just be rebadged. a Uncharted movie is essentially Indiana jones.

They have nothing they own outright as iconic as Mario

Anyway, back to the Switch, theres is a New York event today which is supposed to reveal more about the specs

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
The price and paid online is shit.

I'm not sure why there are complaints about power AND battery life though.

It's a shame really because they will enter the same vicious circle as always. They need 3rd party for sales, but they need launch sales for 3rd party.

Oh and to those talking about costs and PS4's being cheaper, well yes. With sales and newer manyfacturing methods costs drop, at least compare with launch costs. Even then, you are talking different technologies plus the fact Nintendo are in no position to sell at a loss like MS and Sony. Despite huge cash reserves, they are simply in a different position.

Member 39557

The price and paid online is shit.

I'm not sure why there are complaints about power AND battery life though.

It's a shame really because they will enter the same vicious circle as always. They need 3rd party for sales, but they need launch sales for 3rd party.

Oh and to those talking about costs and PS4's being cheaper, well yes. With sales and newer manyfacturing methods costs drop, at least compare with launch costs. Even then, you are talking different technologies plus the fact Nintendo are in no position to sell at a loss like MS and Sony. Despite huge cash reserves, they are simply in a different position.
Do you like the look of the new Mario?

rcoobc

You can buy the Shield Tablet for £170 or $200 though. I feel like they should have found a way to hit that £199 price point, by hook or by crook. Fair enough it'll probably come down in price, but it's a different market they find themselves in now.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
You can buy the Shield Tablet for £170 or $200 though. I feel like they should have found a way to hit that £199 price point, by hook or by crook. Fair enough it'll probably come down in price, but it's a different market they find themselves in now.
I agree. And when I heard the price I knew what the reaction would be, because it went through my mind too.

None of this would matter if they got the launch titles right though, which once again it seems they won't.

Do you like the look of the new Mario?
Of course!

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Shield Tab isn't as portable as this though(is is quiet portable, mind), or as easily dockable to use on tv, or able to switch between the two instantly. That's not to mention the game options or controllers.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Anyway Im disappointed but Im keeping my pre order in the hope it will change

I really had hoped they would talk about a revamped virtual console with loads of stuff available from day 1

I mean I want to give them money for loads of old Nintendo games but they wont god damn take it

Also was expecting them to announce a trophy/achievement system.

starman

Anyway Im disappointed but Im keeping my pre order in the hope it will change

I really had hoped they would talk about a revamped virtual console with loads of stuff available from day 1

I mean I want to give them money for loads of old Nintendo games but they wont god damn take it

Also was expecting them to announce a trophy/achievement system.
Did you pre order before the announcement? What price was it?