No.1 for next season - De Gea or Henderson?

No.1 for next season

• De Gea

Votes: 264 37.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 309 43.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 99 13.9%
  • Play both

Votes: 42 5.9%

• Total voters
The fact DDG is starting today makes me think that Ole wants to give him a send off with the fans in the stadium.
i honestly don’t think anyone knows what keepers we will have next season. I think we will allow DDG to make up his own mind whether he stays or goes.

starting today I think points more towards him starting the final than anything else.

lsd

The Oracle
De Gea at his worst is better than Henderson at his best.

Henderson is never going to be United class and trying to persist with him is only going to hurt us.

In the summer we need to look for a proper replacement long term for De Gea

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The fact DDG is starting today makes me think that Ole wants to give him a send off with the fans in the stadium.
De Gea is not leaving

This is how ridiculous rumours start haha!

Hendo had a terrible game against Liverpool and has been dropped, that’s all.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I would think De Gea is pretty sure to start the final.

In terms of next season, you'd hope Solskjaer knows what he's doing enough to have his mind made up already. If he's already decided that Henderson is the man for the future then a bad game shouldn't change his mind, because all goalkeepers will have bad games on occasion. If he's still uncertain then it's a worry, because it's a big call to make with only a couple of games left.

The Hilton

De Gea is not leaving

This is how ridiculous rumours start haha!

Hendo had a terrible game against Liverpool and has been dropped, that’s all.
He wasn't terrible, he was just meh, far more fault lies with our comically bad defence.

I still think his ability to sweep (which DDG has never offered, even in his godlike pomp) should earn him the no 1spot - DDG may have found some form since his break, but he's been really poor for a couple of seasons now.

lsd

The Oracle
He wasn't terrible, he was just meh, far more fault lies with our comically bad defence.

I still think his ability to sweep (which DDG has never offered, even in his godlike pomp) should earn him the no 1spot - DDG may have found some form since his break, but he's been really poor for a couple of seasons now.

His ability to sweep should make him number one ? Really ?

The fact he can never be relied on top make a Dave when we most need it is enough to have him sold.

We want someone to sweep then we buy Rice and have a keeper do what a keeper is supposed to do save shots

The Hilton

His ability to sweep should make him number one ? Really ?

The fact he can never be relied on top make a Dave when we most need it is enough to have him sold.

We want someone to sweep then we buy Rice and have a keeper do what a keeper is supposed to do save shots
The problem is, Dave can't be relied on to make a Dave either. He's in good form in the past few matches, but you're forgetting how poor he's been up until then, making mistakes and not making simple saves.

Don't get me wrong, peak DDG is the best keeper in the world, but he hasn't been there for a couple of seasons.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
As i said; complete farce. We have no1 for next 4,5 years and we are trying to invent new one from average gk.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
"Solskjær: "No it [Henderson starting] doesn't [mean De Gea starts the #UEL final]. Dean is ready for a game again. David played the previous one." #mulive [mutv]"

He is really pushing with Henderson as no1. Imo, Hendo will start next season as no1 and De gea will leave. And who knows, maybe Dave and Ole have some issues after that captaincy snub last year.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I think he’s gonna go with DdG for the Europa final. I think that fourth goal we conceded (Hendo’s positioning) was horrible and might’ve changed his mind for the final.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I would have assumed that De Gea would start the final even if he's leaving this summer as he has already shifted to the cup games. Plus it would give him a nice way to bow out. The idea that Henderson would have a major problem with it even if he knew he'd be #1 next year would seem odd to me.

I hope Solskjaer isn't actually that torn though and knows who he'll be sticking with, whoever that will be.

pablo__p

The pro-Henderson crew reminds me of myself when in my naive wishful thinking I was convinced that fellow Pole Tomasz Kuszczak is competent enough to be our long term no. 1.

The Irish Connection

We need a keeper tbh. Its another signing to be made and I wouldn’t have confidence in the board at all, for obvious reasons. Hope it doesn’t cost us next season.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Still convinced Dave is the better keeper.
I think so too, but we are at the point we were at with David around 2011-2014 where we identified him as our keeper for the next decade and gave him the time and space to mature.

Let’s say we stick with David for another 2 seasons before he regresses further and needs replacing and we let Henderson go find the first team football he wants at this stage. Where does that leave us in 2 years?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think so too, but we are at the point we were at with David around 2011-2014 where we identified him as our keeper for the next decade and gave him the time and space to mature.

Let’s say we stick with David for another 2 seasons before he regresses further and needs replacing and we let Henderson go find the first team football he wants at this stage. Where does that leave us in 2 years?
Problem is I am not convinced Henderson is the real deal.

RedDevilzFox

Unless we think Henderson is some revolutionary GK, I don't think replacing Dave in 2 seasons would be a big problem. From what I have seen of Henderson, he is far from a "special" GK. He actually reminds me a lot of Jordan Pickford or Kasper Schmiechel level. Not bad at all, but nothing special.

Generally speaking, replacing a GK is the least of any teams problems given you have an otherwise half competent defense.

bsCallout

I think he’s gonna go with DdG for the Europa final. I think that fourth goal we conceded (Hendo’s positioning) was horrible and might’ve changed his mind for the final.
DDG was always playing the final. He's been the Europa keeper.

bsCallout

Unless we think Henderson is some revolutionary GK, I don't think replacing Dave in 2 seasons would be a big problem. From what I have seen of Henderson, he is far from a "special" GK. He actually reminds me a lot of Jordan Pickford or Kasper Schmiechel level. Not bad at all, but nothing special.

Generally speaking, replacing a GK is the least of any teams problems given you have an otherwise half competent defense.
Kasper is levels above Pickford.

RedDevilzFox

Kasper is levels above Pickford.
Sure, whatever, my point was Henderson is somewhere thereabouts. Chelsea basically benched Kepa permanently and just moved on with whoever else was available and still made top 4 and sitting in CL final.

bsCallout

Does it matter? I consider neither of them to be DDG level.
Big time. If it's Pickford levels we should get rid ASAP. If it's Kasper levels we could win the league, even if it isn't World class quality.

We'll disagree on DDGs current level but there is a big difference in your opinion of Henderson if he's Pickford quality or if he is Kasper quality.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
DDG didn't look the real deal when he first signed either.
Henderson is so obviously a keeper that gets better with age and ends up like Van Der Sar playing until he is 40.

I dont know why people have found a reason to judge a 24 year old goalkeeper on his first season for United - where he has had good all rounded performances whilst also producing some few mistakes - not a lot.

RedDevilzFox

Big time. If it's Pickford levels we should get rid ASAP. If it's Kasper levels we could win the league, even if it isn't World class quality.

Well disagree on DDGs current level but there is a big difference in your opinion of Henderson if he's Pickford quality or if he is Kasper quality.
Haha .. you ain't winning the league by simply sticking Kasper as a GK. A lot of his mistakes won't go unnoticed at man united. That's the kind of stuff people were saying about henderson too before he was put in between the posts.

If winning the league was simply a matter of buying Kasper, then we'd be stupid to buy anything else. Think of it for a minute and give your head a fair shake.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Has Romero officially left? Like officially or is he hiding?

I think the best option was to send De Gea out and have Romero and Henderson as our goalkeepers.

DDG didn't look the real deal when he first signed either.
DDG had obvious talents when he signed. The challenge with Henderson is that he doesn’t have any outstanding qualities. He’s the Fred of goalkeepers. Tries hard and puts in the effort - but is that good enough?

bsCallout

Haha .. you ain't winning the league by simply sticking Kasper as a GK. A lot of his mistakes won't go unnoticed at man united. That's the kind of stuff people were saying about henderson too before he was put in between the posts.

If winning the league was simply a matter of buying Kasper, then we'd be stupid to buy anything else. Think of it for a minute and give your head a fair shake.
You miss the point. You could win the league with a keeper the quality of Kasper, not because of him. With Pickford you lose too many because he's so error prone.

So tone it down a bit.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Seems like the longer De Gea has been absent the higher-rated he's become again. Henderson still may not be the answer but De Gea was one of the biggest issues in our defence, he's not the player we need.

bsCallout

Seems like the longer De Gea has been absent the higher-rated he's become again. Henderson still may not be the answer but De Gea was one of the biggest issues in our defence, he's not the player we need.
Happens with all our players. Bailly being a prime example, or Matic.

K Stand Knut

I have huge issues about this debate now.

Not convinced Henderson has proved either way if he is able to step straight in as number 1 and ultimately pack DDG’s bags for him.

The thought of ‘giving DDG one more year’ scares the piss out of me though