No European football next season | Unless we win the FA Cup, then we get Europa League

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Less games at this point might be less stress for the fans. The thing is though we've been out of Europe all of this year and it's had no positive impact on our league form. We are still more lazy and lethargic than almost everyone we play. I really worry for some of our dumbass players as to what they will do with that extra time.

El Jefe

Best thing for us in the long run in my opinion. We keep retaining players because we’ve needed a big squad to compete in Europe. Players we clearly know aren’t good enough or are constantly injured occupy spots in the team just because of Europe, especially those pointless EL group games.

The rebuild has to start this summer and while the loss of income from no Europe will help, a fire sale will cover this to some extent by considerably lowering the wage bill as well as any transfer fees.

We should go into next season cutting up to 10 positions without need for replacing. A squad of 22 is enough for next season and we can fill the rest with youth players.

GK - 2
Full backs - 4
Centre Backs - 4
Centre Mids- 6
Forwards - 6

This season especially back in the first half of the season we had over 30 squad players. We can clear out about 15 players and replace only 5 of them with new signings. It will speed up the rebuild and finally get rid of the wasters we’ve had here for years.

AndySmith1990

From taking it for granted we'd make it far in the CL, to being happy we won't be playing in Europe at all. What a decade of decline it's been

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
All European competitions are going to follow the same 8-game group stage format now. CL, EL and ECL are the same exact format.
The conference league actually will be just slightly different, it will be only 6 games in the group stage.

Josh 76

I hate the EL. So not too bothered. Gutted about not being in the CL though.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Will be a blessing in disguise for us, I don't see us collecting anything points wise in the last 3 games and barring some form of miracle in the Cup final we won't get in that way.

RoyH1

From taking it for granted we'd make it far in the CL, to being happy we won't be playing in Europe at all. What a decade of decline it's been
Indeed. A great part of me is relieved at the prospect of not having to suffer an ignominious away defeat at the hands of KF Tirana, LASK or the like.

Scanny

No European football next season? Good. Would be pointless and embarrassing.

spiriticon

Qualifying for the CL last season was a pointless waste of time in the end since we got booted out this year's competition before the dust even settled.

The Europa League is more our current standard but I don't trust that ETH can manage Thursday and Sunday matches and have no injuries.

Rojofiam

Share the opinion of those who are glad we aren't going to be in the Conference League next season. The Europa would've been fine and we could've been a real contender, but I can't be arsed with the Conference League.

I suppose in the event ETH is still in charge it means he can't run certain players into the ground twice a week.

But FFP-wise it's bad news.
Wrong.

Orange Tree

It will be an opportunity to trim the squad.

That's what many said whenever we didn't make CL, opportunity to play fringe players, opportunity for younger players to impress.
But we didn't do that though, kept playing full strength in Europa League.

Havak

Pokemon master
I think I'd prefer it, weirdly. I don't want us playing Thursday/Sunday anyway, especially if it's the Conference League.

I know it'll affect the players we can sign and the contracts we can hand out, but that might actually end up being a positive as well. It'll mean our recruitment team have to look at signing players who have potential rather than supposed finished articles. Maybe we can get 5-6 players in the region of £20m each rather than signing three £50m+ players and scraping through some loans.

Bowlcut11

Best thing for us in the long run in my opinion. We keep retaining players because we’ve needed a big squad to compete in Europe. Players we clearly know aren’t good enough or are constantly injured occupy spots in the team just because of Europe, especially those pointless EL group games.

The rebuild has to start this summer and while the loss of income from no Europe will help, a fire sale will cover this to some extent by considerably lowering the wage bill as well as any transfer fees.

We should go into next season cutting up to 10 positions without need for replacing. A squad of 22 is enough for next season and we can fill the rest with youth players.

GK - 2
Full backs - 4
Centre Backs - 4
Centre Mids- 6
Forwards - 6

This season especially back in the first half of the season we had over 30 squad players. We can clear out about 15 players and replace only 5 of them with new signings. It will speed up the rebuild and finally get rid of the wasters we’ve had here for years.
While I generally agree with thinning the deadwood, you can't seriously think we need less players in the squad next season after the injury crisis we have spent 99% of this season in?

Chumpsbechumps

It will be an opportunity to trim the squad.

That's what many said whenever we didn't make CL, opportunity to play fringe players, opportunity for younger players to impress.
But we didn't do that though, kept playing full strength in Europa League.
Id rather be in Europe , even the conference one, but I agree that not qualifying does present an alternative option in summer.

Less need/desperation for bodies. Less games should mean we can focus on trimming the fat and not being too concerned with players in. Moreso we can focus on youth promotion and transfers (ala Hoijland) who aren’t the finished article.

DavelinaJolie

Share the opinion of those who are glad we aren't going to be in the Conference League next season. The Europa would've been fine and we could've been a real contender, but I can't be arsed with the Conference League.

Wrong.

I stand erected.

Hughie77

It's there fault players manager etc they've been pants.. 1 or 2 good games that's it.. 3 goals up in games and draw or lose ffs.. its been woeful and painful to watch... no European football will kick the owners up the ass.

Eth has to go there is no way back for him and he knows he's getting sacked players know .. Ineos are putting there own guys in and that includes a new Manager ... FA cup he's gone .. its could be another 5 -0 cup final win ..

Yakuza_devils

1 game a week is good for new manager to work on tactics with the players. The players will also be well rested.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Perfect chance to clear out the squad and go very light on depth, focus on some younger new starters and then add more depth next summer.
Even when in the CL, you only really a reliable group of about 16-18 senior outfield players, and definitely no more than 2 players per position, with the rest then being spots for youth players. Without any European football, we can definitely just go light. Get rid of those crocks, get rid of the backups for those who don't get injured and play every game, get rid of aging players on big wages, and start fresh.

Houdini

No Europan football means no european money which will hinder our rebiuld. I don't understand how can anyone by happy about that.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Watch us finish 8th then these cnuts go and win the cup and we end up in Europa. Would be fuming.

Chumpsbechumps

No Europan football means no european money which will hinder our rebiuld. I don't understand how can anyone by happy about that.
Not just that , no gate receipts from Euro games and I think it may affect our euro coefficient in rankings and money.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Not just that , no gate receipts from Euro games and I think it may affect our euro coefficient in rankings and money.
It will affect it, but you are a bit "lucky" in that regard. UEFA uses a 10 year club ranking to distribute money, which at the moment includes the season 14/15, when you also did not play in Europe. So the teams behind United in the ranking will all lose the points for the 14/15 season and need to catch up again, while United doesn't lose any points for that. Which means that United is currently 11th in UEFA club ranking, but as of know will be 8th when the next season starts. Juventus will surely overtake United again, but then follow Chelsea, who also might not play in Europe (if they do, they will also overtake United). Sevilla and Dortmund will have a considerable distance, so it's actually likely that United will finish this season as 11th but next season as 10th, despite not playing in Europe. At worst United could drop to 13th, but that requires Sevilla, Dortmund and AS Rom to win or come very close to winning EL/CL/ECL next season.

Chumpsbechumps

It will affect it, but you are a bit "lucky" in that regard. UEFA uses a 10 year club ranking to distribute money, which at the moment includes the season 14/15, when you also did not play in Europe. So the teams behind United in the ranking will all lose the points for the 14/15 season and need to catch up again, while United doesn't lose any points for that. Which means that United is currently 11th in UEFA club ranking, but as of know will be 8th when the next season starts. Juventus will surely overtake United again, but then follow Chelsea, who also might not play in Europe (if they do, they will also overtake United). Sevilla and Dortmund will have a considerable distance, so it's actually likely that United will finish this season as 11th but next season as 10th, despite not playing in Europe. At worst United could drop to 13th, but that requires Sevilla, Dortmund and AS Rom to win or come very close to winning EL/CL/ECL next season.
Cheers for that …

Marching On!

Could be good for us. Isn’t there a 25% reduction in wages when Champions League football isn’t achieved?

Our wage bill at the moment is £205 million per season. No europe, that’ll bring it down to just over £150 million. Less by the time Varane and Martial walk out for free. Casemiro won’t be hanging around, that’ll be another £18 million off the books.

Of course it’ll hit us financially regarding sponsors etc, but could finally be an opportunity to get a handle on the obscene wages at the club. Bring in a manager (Tuchel) that actually coaches the players in between games and we go next season playing once a week.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Cheers for that …
Forgot to mention, United's 15/16 season in Europe also was worse than every following team. Which makes it easy to defend/improve the ranking position if United return to Europe after next season.

Chumpsbechumps

Forgot to mention, United's 15/16 season in Europe also was worse than every following team. Which makes it easy to defend/improve the ranking position if United return to Europe after next season.
Every cloud has a silver lining I guess

FerociousCorgis

wont be guaranteed not having midweek footy will magically make the group better for EPL games. Sure as shit hasnt helped since we got dumped out of it this year.

Unam333

I always say, the more United, the better. European nights are always special, especially when you've reached the knockout stages. Yes, even the Europa League and the Conference League. :nervous:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Silver lining, because no European football is shit. It just is.

But, whoever our manager is next season, will benefit from having an entire week in between games to drill into our team, what the feck it is we should look like and do on the pitch.

Having a glut of games can't be beneficial for this.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Every cloud has a silver lining I guess
A bit... on the other hand, a decent season (=exactly like the last in Europe) would have you seen finishing 10th in the ranking with a decent chance to overtake at least PSG and maybe even Atletico next season and finish 6th placed in the ranking if you qualified for any European competition. But the abysmal CL and PL performances this season prevent that.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why would any fan want us out of Europe?
It means less money, less exposure and less games to see us play.
Our injury problems do not seem related to the congested schedule, we are out of Europe for some time, and look how our season goes currently with 1 game per week.
No point in giving examples of top teams who play for winning the PL and CL every year.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Missing out on Europe altogether would be a blessing in disguise. We’d save on 25% of wages and we could get rid of some players who are stealing a wage.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Missing out on this competition will put us less down the radar of managers and players. Theirs a few teams after managers who’ll get first pick as their competing in the best competition. We’re gonna be stuck with Potter

Maticmaker

Everyone on this thread talking about our (virtual non-existent) prospects in Europe next season. We fans need to wake up and smell the coffee, if we don't collect another point this season we could finish up in 12th position, with the worst stats within living memory, especially the (-ve) goal difference

If the debacle that has been this club in the last few months continues unabated we could be fighting relegation from day 1 next season..... you think it can't get worse?... :nono:...get a grip!!

(I'm scaring myself now!!)

peridigm

Missing out on this competition will put us less down the radar of managers and players. Theirs a few teams after managers who’ll get first pick as their competing in the best competition. We’re gonna be stuck with Potter
Not so much with managers. We're making big changes with the new hierarchy and probably better positioned to succeed from a football perspective than we have been in the past 10-11 years. We'll probably be passed by with a couple of top players for a window or two but once we're back in the CL recruitment will be back to what you would expect for United.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Everyone on this thread talking about our (virtual non-existent) prospects in Europe next season. We fans need to wake up and smell the coffee, if we don't collect another point this season we could finish up in 12th position, with the worst stats within living memory, especially the (-ve) goal difference

If the debacle that has been this club in the last few months continues unabated we could be fighting relegation from day 1 next season..... you think it can't get worse?... :nono:...get a grip!!

(I'm scaring myself now!!)
If we didn't recruit in the summer, I actually agree, we could be relegation candidates.

We've got decent players, but everyone team in the premier league and upper half of the championship is decent. We've got decent players but we don't have a team

Thankfully we will recruit

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
With the current squad, we can't afford to qualify. We can't put a team out for Saturday, let alone Wednesday

Woziak

Trim the squad
No Europe is good
That’s half the issue isn’t it the squad depth, age of players etc, Chelsea had no Europe this season but still played 49 games and they have a huge squad.

Modern Football is very different from football 20 years ago, everything is quicker, more physical and more intense, that’s why there are so many serious and boggling injuries. The PL allows the club to name 11 started and 9 substitutes where you can potential use 6 of them but normally 5. The pure artists like Zidane, Messi, Iniesta, Scholes, Kross, Moderic, Xavi, Andrea Pirlo, Veratti are being replaced by 6’1/2 Box to box athletic specimens, more energy but ultimately less creativity and more grinding out teams physically.

This United Team with players like Heaton, Onana, Evans, Varane, Maguire, Lindelof, Eriksen, Amrabat, Shaw, Casemiro, Bruno are all in their late 20’s to mid 30’s, have huge energy, ability and pace problems with the exception of Bruno and at least 5 or 6 of those will always start if their fit, there’s only so much you can do with a young front three, a right back and a 19 year DLP like Mainoo?

The spine is poor, unfit for purpose in the PL has been for 2 or 3 seasons. Yesterday I watched a young energetic Palace with Adam Wharton(20), Will Hughes(29) and Eze (25) and Olise(22) run rings round our defence and Midfield, we started with a CB pairing with a combined age of 68 and no pace whatsoever, Palace had one player over 30 Nathaniel Clyne and the fact that this gutless manager wants to try and load everything on three younger players is also just part of the bigger problem, if we don’t change the age of the squad radically this summer and the manager we will be in a relegation battle next year!