No Italians would get into England's first XI

RixaUnited

As a defensive back 4 I would still take italy over Englands any day of the week

Maksimilian

Terry, Cole, Rio & Neville conceding a grand total of 2 goals in 5 games and going out on penalties after a goallesss draw against Portugal in the Quarterfinals means they're shit.
And what about Portugal, France, Germany, Argentina, Brazils defences in that tournament? They all reached as far if not further than the English players we mentioned. I didnt say they were shit, I just said they werent better than Italys...and history agrees with me.

Were talking about a collective....a group of players, not individuals. You specifically said ude take that back four over the World Champion back four. Thats crazy cant you see that? You could use it hypothetically if u changed at least one player around, then there could be a debate. But you cant debate something thats over....8 years ago.

That back four youde rather choose existed at a world cup. And the back four you say theyre better than did aswell. And who won the title?

JefferiesTube

ROONEY BALOTELLI
BAINES DE ROSSI PIRLO MARCHISIO DE SCIGLIO
CHIELLINI BONUCCI SMALLING
BUFFON​

Wayne's World

Can't wait to see Lawrenson's face when Italy batter them off the pitch, no more than 3 English players would get in the Italian team, there are miles better then England.

Italy have better youngsters then England also so his point is irrelevant

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Terrific logic here people. Torres > Messi because he won the WC.

Terry, Cole, Rio & Neville conceding a grand total of 2 goals in 5 games and going out on penalties after a goallesss draw against Portugal in the Quarterfinals means they're shit.
And Italy conceded a grand total of 2 goals in 7 games - one of them a freaky own goal and the other after a dive by Malouda. That was a great defence England had, far better than what they have to offer now. But that Italy back-line was sensational - do you remember how well Cannavaro played? He dominated the tournament, was easily its best player and his series of immaculate performances has rarely been matched on a World Cup stage.

::sonny::

Thats because he has been injured for a long parts of this season, atleast I hope thats the reason or general ignorance.
You know as much as I how little that means, he doesn't seem to even get ahead of Abate in a lot of peoples teams here.

Its only in recent times that the Ox has gone out wide, largely due to Arsenal being well stacked with quality centrally and lacking any really pace out wide other than Walcott. He is a central midfielder by trade and a bloody good one.
De Sciglio is one of, probably the best, young full back in europe.

Plugsy

I guess unless they held British passports they'd find it difficult

NoPace

Terrific logic here people. Torres > Messi because he won the WC.

That was a great back 4. England had quality defenders during the Sven era. The front 6 and the mistaken belief that England could play anything but deep-defending, counter-attacking football and compete for 90 minutes against top teams was the problem.

dbs235

Can't wait to see Lawrenson's face when Italy batter them off the pitch, no more than 3 English players would get in the Italian team, there are miles better then England.

Italy have better youngsters then England also so his point is irrelevant
Are you sure?

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
Other than keeper, agree with him, don't forget England have injury's to players like Walcott/Townsend and players like Carrick who haven't even made the squad.

Pirlo's an old fossil, it would be like non-English folk still wanking over Lampard and other than a young Pirlo i see no other Italian I'd really want over an English player.

Veratti's the only other i'd take, but since we have Ox/Wilshere/Barkley in that position I'm not too:-

It's the worst Italian side in years.

RixaUnited

Pirlo mite be a fossil but he will still school England just like he did 2 years ago

alastair

ignorant
I think Pirlo's performance in the legendary 0-0 2012 game actually stands up to being one of the most over-rated performances of all time in this country.

He had decent passing stats, a nice game in general, and a flashy penalty to finish, but Pirlo probably had better games in that tournament. The fact he could pass it straight made him look immensely impressive faced with an England team that couldn't string two passes together all evening.

PakRed

Other than keeper, agree with him, don't forget England have injury's to players like Walcott/Townsend and players like Carrick who haven't even made the squad.

Pirlo's an old fossil, it would be like non-English folk still wanking over Lampard and other than a young Pirlo i see no other Italian I'd really want over an English player.

Veratti's the only other i'd take, but since we have Ox/Wilshere/Barkley in that position I'm not too:-

Did you watch Euro 2012?

Revan

Assumptionman
He definitely is better than Bonucci IMO. Outside of his exceptional passing ability Cahill trumps him in everything else.

Juve fans can't stand Bonucci for a reason.
Most of Juve fans I know rate him higher than Chiellini.

T.banty10

All three are box to box midfielders, Henderson too. England has no controlling midfielder, which is very important in a team.

Revan

Assumptionman
What does that have to do with anything? Nesta only played the 3 group games in 06 and Maldini retired in 2002.

I'm taking Neville, JT, Rio, Sol, Cole & co over the defenders you listed any day of the week. England's failure had little to do with them. Our backline usually always performed, it's in other areas we were lacking.
Italy's defense on 2006 has been better than any English defense, ever. And that was while Nesta - who has been the best defender in the world at that time and most likely was the best CB on the last decade - got injured on the group stage.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
All three are box to box midfielders, Henderson too. England has no controlling midfielder, which is very important in a team.
Maybe you never watched football last season? Gerrard played a deeper/holding/controling role for Liverpool last season and a role he'll be playing for England at the World Cup. A role where Rodgers said:-

"There's not many players who can do what he can do – be one of the best attacking midfield players in Europe and then switch to be arguably the best controlling player. You look at the holding players in European football now at the top teams, I wouldn't swap him for any of them, because of what he can give the team."

For all the ring piece licking Pirlo is getting in this thread, he's the same age as Gerrard and has not come off a better season than Gerrard in the same role.

Therefore you have to say Pirlo would not get in England's team over Gerrard.

Wilshere can also play a deeper/holding role.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Bonucci has the talent to be one of the best CB's in the world but he is always a liability and even on a good day he is still error prone. One day he can be world class then the next day he can be absolutely useless.

T.banty10

Maybe you never watched football last season? Gerrard played a deeper/holding/controling role for Liverpool last season and a role he'll be playing for England at the World Cup. A role where Rodgers said:-

"There's not many players who can do what he can do – be one of the best attacking midfield players in Europe and then switch to be arguably the best controlling player. You look at the holding players in European football now at the top teams, I wouldn't swap him for any of them, because of what he can give the team."

For all the ring piece licking Pirlo is getting in this thread, he's the same age as Gerrard and has not come off a better season than Gerrard in the same role.

Pinging long ball isn't controlling tempo. No wonder Gerard still needs the help of Coutinho/Allen in that dept and the reason he never work well with Lucas.
Also, Wilshere can't control a tempo and has never done it.

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Have you watched Pirlo this season? He's had another brilliant season, certainly not the best of his career, but then - he's one of the best midfielders of the past 20 years. If you want to whip out some quotes, Pirlo has no shortage of admirers :rolleyes: . Obviously Rodgers is going to promote Gerrard by talking nonsense: he's Liverpool's biggest legend and team captain. Gerrard can hit hollywood balls and wins a crunching tackle now and again, and people think he's Platini and Mathauss' combined-clone. His positioning is poor, he doesn't control the match, never had the greatest first touch for a CM. I can't really believe I've had to write a paragraph that Pirlo is better than Gerrard....

I never seem to understand why some people love to comment on international/foreign football, when they've never heard of most of the players, or haven't watched another league all season. Right now, nobody rates Immobile. In 2 seasons with BVB, everyone will be raving about him without doubt.

CrashDavis

Yep, controlled the closing moments brilliantly against Palace.

Revan

Assumptionman
Have you watched Pirlo this season? He's had another brilliant season, certainly not the best of his career, but then - he's one of the best midfielders of the past 20 years. If you want to whip out some quotes, Pirlo has no shortage of admirers :rolleyes: . Obviously Rodgers is going to promote Gerrard by talking nonsense: he's Liverpool's biggest legend and team captain. Gerrard can hit hollywood balls and wins a crunching tackle now and again, and people think he's Platini and Mathauss' combined-clone. His positioning is poor, he doesn't control the match, never had the greatest first touch for a CM. I can't really believe I've had to write a paragraph that Pirlo is better than Gerrard....

I never seem to understand why some people love to comment on international/foreign football, when they've never heard of most of the players, or haven't watched another league all season. Right now, nobody rates Immobile. In 2 seasons with BVB, everyone will be raving about him without doubt.
Wanted to post this but I refused to believe that someone who isn't on WUM is comparing Gerrard to Pirlo. It isn't even close, Pirlo together with Xavi has been the best central midfielder of the last 20 years, while Gerrard while good isn't on that level. Or near that level.

Giggsy92

Looks like Lawrenson will be doing his infamous predictions for every game, which can only end well: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27712282

Nothing too outrageous, but some highlights:
"Nigeria are a bit like Wigan used to be when they were in the Premier League under Roberto Martinez and I had to predict how they would do every week; I never knew what they were going to do"
"Spain lack an outstanding striker"
"I don't think Portugal will get out of the group", followed by "having spent a bit of time with United States manager Jurgen Klinsmann, I am backing them to make it out of the group".

He also thinks Uruguay will draw with Costa Rica and England will beat Italy.

Fellaini's Afro

Supports
Valencia

Still howling at this! :lol: