Gaming No Man's Sky | 25th May New FREE Update: Leviathan

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I'd only ever consider pre-ordering from a developer that has earned my unconditional trust, and those are rare. Naughty Dog and CDProjekt Red are the only ones to come to mind. Pre-ordering from a developer without a proven track record is absurd in my opinion.
I'd add Rockstar to that list

Ainu

I'd add Rockstar to that list
True I guess. I'd certainly pre-order a new Red Dead Redemption without ever having to see a single screenshot or read about a single feature. One of those games I go into "Shut up and take my money" mode for.

Kaos

I'd only ever consider pre-ordering from a developer that has earned my unconditional trust, and those are rare. Naughty Dog and CDProjekt Red are the only ones to come to mind. Pre-ordering from a developer without a proven track record is absurd in my opinion.
Or just don't pre-order at all.

Back in the day it made sense because there were genuine stock issues and some games were near impossible to pick up on launch day, but those reasons have become void in this digital age. Now its just used to fuel the complacency and lies of developers, while tempting them with rip-off incentives like 'Day 1' DLC.

Smores

Im surprised anyone is still playing this, once you realise its just a series or chores it becomes unplayable.

I mean there's nothing to be good at or master, nothing to progess towards, nothing rare to find. Where's the fun? Holding this button until you get some materials, sell materials, go get more materials as now you can hold more. Thats it.

I've never hated on a game before but this one definitely pissed me off.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I just find it a nice game to switch off to and chill for an hour or so. Every time I felt like I was getting fed up with it and was gonna take a break I'll find a cool new planet that pique'd my interest or I have some short term objective I want to do that has me going back. It's great to play stoned too, that's where I've got most of my longer sessions on it on a Friday/Saturday night.

I'll be taking a break from it now regardless with the Battlefield 1 beta demo out and I'll be picking up the Attack on Titan game today

Ainu

Or just don't pre-order at all.

Back in the day it made sense because there were genuine stock issues and some games were near impossible to pick up on launch day, but those reasons have become void in this digital age. Now its just used to fuel the complacency and lies of developers, while tempting them with rip-off incentives like 'Day 1' DLC.
There are some good pre-order incentives beyond unique content (which I hate), such as pre-order discounts, early-access or the ability to download the game ahead of its release. It's not all bad. If you're positive that what you are getting is a quality game - because you trust the developer - it makes sense.

Nickosaur

Even with those there's a danger. The first Bioshock was excellent but the second was a derivative, nonsensical mess. Then Bioshock Infinite returned to form.
Bioshock 2 wasn't nearly as bad as people make out. It's the worst of the three, but it's still a really good game.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Ive started Deus Ex so havent played since Friday but I keep wanting to go back to it

No Mans Sky has some weird hooks in me. I just enjoy playing it

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Interesting that Bioshock:Infinite is brought up, as that's another game where they run out of time and stripped most of the fun and unique elements out and left it a shell of what was supposed to be.

But at least that was still a game with a purpose. And a great story.

Kaos

Interesting that Bioshock:Infinite is brought up, as that's another game where they run out of time and stripped most of the fun and unique elements out and left it a shell of what was supposed to be.

People will tend to cut some slack if the devs give us a solid game. B:I for all its undelivered promises was still a solid offering, NMS on the other hand ended up being shit, which added further insult.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I've seen people defending this game with accusations that those of us who hate it are ADD kids who can't play a game without explosions etc.

What a load of crock. My top five games with the most hours clocked on Steam are Cities Skylines, Football Manager, Civ 5, Xcom and Witcher 2. I tend to play games that are more "chilled", to use a term Sean Murray used to describe this game.

Also, there are people saying the point of the game is to explore. When you're seeing the same buildings over and over, the same stalagmite and the same old similar looking crab creatures and animals, the exploration part of the game just seems tedious.

Count Orduck

I played BioShock Infinite for the first time fairly recently (about six months ago) and found it a really odd basket. The story was great, really compelling, and the art direction and setting made the atmosphere of the place top-notch. 10/10 shit. But the gameplay itself was so tedious and repetitive. It wasn't bad, and was in fact perfectly entertaining to begin with, it just never changed. It was the same thing over and over again for ten hours. The one time they did try to change it was with the weird ghost mother banshee shit, and that was by far the worst level in the entire game.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I played BioShock Infinite for the first time fairly recently (about six months ago) and found it a really odd basket. The story was great, really compelling, and the art direction and setting made the atmosphere of the place top-notch. 10/10 shit. But the gameplay itself was so tedious and repetitive. It wasn't bad, and was in fact perfectly entertaining to begin with, it just never changed. It was the same thing over and over again for ten hours. The one time they did try to change it was with the weird ghost mother banshee shit, and that was by far the worst level in the entire game.
Yeah, the good stuff was cut so they got a functioning game. Hence why, as I've said all along, the core creative team fecked off because smaller=better when it comes to realising ideas.

It's not a bad game, just a stale one. Luckily the epic story and still lovely (if cardboard) setting made it a decent enough game. At times even epic.

People will tend to cut some slack if the devs give us a solid game. B:I for all its undelivered promises was still a solid offering, NMS on the other hand ended up being shit, which added further insult.
True. In NMS's case, I believe over the years I've covered on here in depth how these things are faked and why. It comes as no surprise here, just a massive disappointment.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I don't think I've seen a game die this quickly before.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I was still quite enjoying it when I stopped but haven't really thought about going back for a month :lol:

Sean Murray's been very quiet on twitter of late...

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
I actually never started it again once I found out what the 'surprise' at the centre of galaxy was.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
My sister and boyfriend had been banging on about this for months, then bought it and went very quiet. I kept asking my sister how it was and she'd just say "it's alright, it's what I was expecting really"

Then when I went up and visited them they wouldn't let me play it, and eventually came around to just admitting it was shite :lol:

Woodzy

I don't understand why it isn't coming down in price. Better games have become cheaper, sooner. I'd consider buying it for PC if it hits £10/£15 at any point, just to say i've tried it.

Ubik

I don't understand why it isn't coming down in price. Better games have become cheaper, sooner. I'd consider buying it for PC if it hits £10/£15 at any point, just to say i've tried it.
It's hit £25 on PS4, which is a big drop in 6 weeks.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
My sister and boyfriend had been banging on about this for months, then bought it and went very quiet. I kept asking my sister how it was and she'd just say "it's alright, it's what I was expecting really"

Then when I went up and visited them they wouldn't let me play it, and eventually came around to just admitting it was shite :lol:
It's basically a glorified tech demo. Pity the fools who took the bait.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Thank feck I had reservations about this game and bought it on GOG, with their 30 days money back guarantee.

Spent 2 hours getting off my starting planet, the next 2 hours marvelling at the sights and then the last 2 hours growing bored at everything. Went off the game, googled questions like "No Man's Sky do things get better closer to the centre?", got my answer and refunded the game.

Worst game ever.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I enjoyed my time with this, I did get to a point though where I hit the wall and just decided to give it a rest until the next substantial update. I can totally see why a lot would get tired pretty quick though. By the end of my time playing it I was basically just going around on sightseeing trips to different planets, cool when you've had a spliff, but gets tiresome any other time.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Hello Games’ Sean Murray says his studio’s Twitter and email account have been hacked, after the studio account tweeted this morning that the space exploration game No Man’s Sky was “a mistake.” The tweet was later deleted and the studio’s account set to private, while emails purporting to be from studio founder Murray claimed responsibility for the message. The Twitter account is now back online and in control.

“The tweet is from me, but somebody from the team took it down,” an email to Polygon from Murray’s account reads. “We have not been coping well.”

A suspicious email sent to two Polygon staffers, neither of whom corresponded directly with Murray previously, contained an “apology” for the game. The email apes frequent community criticisms, and includes a tell in the spelling of “apologize” (British English would spell it differently, as Sean Murray does in this post). Here’s the email:

Murray hasn’t responded to follow up emails, phone calls and texts and his formerly active personal Twitter account hadn’t been used since Aug. 18, until the following tweets were sent, nearly five hours after the deleted tweet:

The Hello Games tweet comes as the game continues to receive vitriolic comments from players.

On Steam, No Man’s Sky has an overwhelmingly negative user response. Ahead of launch, the game was touted as a sprawling, procedurally generated adventure through the galaxy; players have found the finished product to be less than what they were expecting, withmixed reviews and an especially vocal player base calling out Hello Games for No Man’s Sky’s "false promises."

The game received an average score in the 70s on Metacritic. We gave the game a 6.

Developing … We are still working on further verification that Murray's tweet and email aren’t the result of a hack.

Update: Forbes is reporting that they have spoken to a representative who verified that the tweet was sent from a “disgruntled employee.” Mashable is reporting that Sean Murray told them, “The tweet came from a disgruntled employee” and “We're currently trying to solve the issue internally.” We’ve updated this story throughout with new information, including Murray’s follow-up tweets.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/28/13453440/no-mans-sky-tweet-game-was-a-mistake
It's amazing that the studio went completely quiet on Twitter since August :lol: took the money and went into hiding

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
It's amazing that the studio went completely quiet on Twitter since August :lol: took the money and went into hiding

:lol: Pathetic. What happened to the big supporters of this game in this thread like @Eriku? Still playing?

Eriku

:lol: Pathetic. What happened to the big supporters of this game in this thread like @Eriku? Still playing?
Their PR strategy has been rubbish, but it has to be said that when you get nothing but flaming, why stick your neck out?

I'm seriously questioning whether they'll update the content. If they don't, they're liars and frauds. If they do, there will be a lot of people with egg on their face.

As far as I'm concerned, the game was hollow, but still offered some 30-40 magical hours before the shine wore off for me.

One can laugh about the faith I had in this game, I'm sure nobody else has been hyped about a game or a movie or something, only for it to fall flat on its face. What I find really curious though is the amount of people who seem to relish pouring their scorn over the game for months on end. The fervour of the haters is far stronger than that of those who don't mind the game, or even enjoy it.

I don't get that, myself. Just like I don't get people who spend more time hating United than supporting their own team. To each their own, I suppose.

I play the game from time to time... but it seriously needs more content to be worth the money.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Their PR strategy has been rubbish, but it has to be said that when you get nothing but flaming, why stick your neck out?

I'm seriously questioning whether they'll update the content. If they don't, they're liars and frauds. If they do, there will be a lot of people with egg on their face.

As far as I'm concerned, the game was hollow, but still offered some 30-40 magical hours before the shine wore off for me.

One can laugh about the faith I had in this game, I'm sure nobody else has been hyped about a game or a movie or something, only for it to fall flat on its face. What I find really curious though is the amount of people who seem to relish pouring their scorn over the game for months on end. The fervour of the haters is far stronger than that of those who don't mind the game, or even enjoy it.

I don't get that, myself. Just like I don't get people who spend more time hating United than supporting their own team. To each their own, I suppose.

I play the game from time to time... but it seriously needs more content to be worth the money.
Sorry wasn't meant to come across like that, was simply interested if people are still playing the game.

Ubik

Yeah, that was weird.

I tried playing it again a couple of weeks back but any enjoyment was gone for me, hopefully they'll bring updates to it but it doesn't look promising.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I actually think they panicked and tried to add gameplay mechanics to it.

I think it would be better served as a pure exploration game, rather than a survival one. If you just got to chill out and explore planets, then I reckon people would still play. I don't think people have any interest in scavenging to keep their quest going.