Gaming No Man's Sky | 25th May New FREE Update: Leviathan

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I actually think they panicked and tried to add gameplay mechanics to it.

I think it would be better served as a pure exploration game, rather than a survival one. If you just got to chill out and explore planets, then I reckon people would still play. I don't think people have any interest in scavenging to keep their quest going.
Trouble is, the planet types weren't varied enough for pure exploration. I remember one time I got excited closing in on a planet because from space it looked like it had fluorescent pink rivers, and I thought "wow this looks new!", but it turned out it was just a pinkish tinge to the rocks at ground level that wasn't rendering well from high up. The buildings are all more or less the same and on absolutely every planet so there's no novelty to finding them. Wildlife is pretty similar everywhere.

Though if you meant that they should've dropped the additional stuff and focused on adding (a lot of) depth to the core exploration game, even if it took longer to come out, I'd agree. If the idea is that every planet is your own discovery, you should also be able to get creative about what you can do with/on them.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Pretty substantial update by the looks of it, will give it a go.

Shark

@NotShark
I've just booted it up. Survival mode looks very interesting! Either way I suppose you have to give them credit for sticking to their word and trying to improve the trainwreck we got at launch.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I've just booted it up. Survival mode looks very interesting! Either way I suppose you have to give them credit for sticking to their word and trying to improve the trainwreck we got at launch.
Yep - agree that it's good thru have tried the salvage it.

Eriku

Playing now. Not so interested in the base-building and stuff, but there's a lot of little improvements that I like. Keep this up and maybe at some point we'll have something like the game that was promised :)

Shark

@NotShark
Playing now. Not so interested in the base-building and stuff, but there's a lot of little improvements that I like. Keep this up and maybe at some point we'll have something like the game that was promised :)
One cool thing I've noticed is you can now see creatures when flying. More life in general too.

Shark

@NotShark
I'm so glad I didn't trade this in, been jumping on it a most every night after work since the update. Whatever they've done to the algorithms, every planet actually does feel far more unique and random. I've been to some mind blowing ones visually. It's not fully there yet but it's far closer to the game I wanted. Excited to see what further improvements they make.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Great news. Definitely my favorite game next to minecraft.
I bought it after the Atlas update and people thought It would be the last one.
They have a lot of field to improve. Not only in the aesthetics of the planets but very repetitive aspects such as conversations or space stations. The subject of trade and alloys is already quite interesting but could add some more.
The space battles could be improved too

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Extra info
Multiplayer
  • Team up a small team of friends and explore the universe together, or be joined by random travellers.
  • You can help friends to stay alive, or prey on others to survive.
  • Tiny shelters or complex colonies that you build as a team are shared for all players.
  • Fight as a pirate or a wingman in epic space battles with friends and enemies.
  • Race exocraft across weird alien terrains, creating race tracks and trails to share online.
  • Character customisation allows you to personalise your appearance.
Visual Overhaul
  • The game is fully playable in third or first person, both on-foot and in ship.
  • Planetary rings and improved space visuals make space more beautiful than ever.
  • Dramatically improved planetary terrain generation, ground textures, water and clouds bring the environment to life.
  • Significantly more detail added to ships, NPCs and buildings.
Unlimited Base Building
  • Bases can now be built anywhere on any planet.
  • Dramatically increased base building complexity and size limits.
  • Hundreds of new base parts.
  • Own multiple bases.
Command Freighters
  • Assemble and upgrade a fleet of frigates and command them from the bridge of your freighter.
  • Send your fleet out to into the universe, or deploy them to help you as you explore a specific system.
  • Improved freighter base building allows a truly custom capital ship.
  • Invite your friends aboard and take on challenging multiplayer missions from the Galactic Commision Station on your bridge.

Shark

@NotShark
I’m actually sort of excited :nervous: Really does look like the game we seen in the E3 trailers back in 2015 or whatnot. You really have to give credit to such a small indie team for sticking with it through all of that scrutiny, and those that understandably haven’t been paying as much attention must realize that this is the biggest update in a series of updates since release. It’s been slowly but surely getting better and better, but this update is a complete overall it seems.

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I bought this game about a year after it came out and really enjoyed it. Sank a decent amount of time into it. Really chill game.

I haven't played it for about 8-9 months but i think i'll jump back into when this update drops.

Nickosaur

When it comes out on xbox i'll definitely be grabbing it. Sounds like the updates and the effort from the devs since launch have made it a decent game now.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Ignoring all the crap Murray talked in the lead up to the game I actually quite liked and enjoyed the base game, up to a point. I mostly just played it when I was stoned loving the art direction and taking cool screenshots (there'll be a lot of them posted earlier in this thread) of the worlds/planets etc as the survival aspect wasn't too challenging and it was pretty easy to just chill and burn about the galaxy for a few hours, I probably got somewhere between 30 - 50 hours out of it but then it felt like you just hit a wall and the repetitiveness of the gameplay just became too much & I can understand how this might have gotten more apparent much earlier for others. I haven't played it since so the base building and vehicles will all be new to me but I'm definitely gonna be playing it again.

Last edited:

Ainu

I like the sound of those updates. I played it for a while until tedium set in but I'm tempted to give it another go when this update is released. It's still a shame it launched in the state it did but you can't fault their dedication to make amends, even if it's too late for many people.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Was super excited for this with all the hype behind it, decided against it after the shitshow upon release.

But seeing all positive feedback for the previous updates and especially this one and the fact that it's on sale for €18 on PSN, I tried it out.

I'm pleasantly surprised. I find it a very relaxing and interesting exploration game. Hello Games deserve criticism for the lies in the lead up to release but on the same hand, they deserve praise for not washing their hands of it and sticking at it and polishing it to this degree. It's a pretty good game, in my opinion.

Ainu

Tried a new game yesterday, I have to say I'm not too impressed by the performance on PS4 Pro. Something is not quite right with it, it doesn't feel as smooth as it should. There were also weird graphical glitches where toxic smoke didn't look like a cloud of particles but had weird rectangle shapes in it. This probably needs a couple more patches.

Last edited:

Ainu

Not sure how people still expect something from Star Citizen, it's a game that will forever be stuck in alpha. At the moment it must be the greatest scam in video game history, having taken an absurd amount of money from crowd funding and selling in-game stuff for dizzying prices. But there's no game in there. There are a million features on its roadmap that would turn it into the greatest video game ever, but none of those will ever be finished. We'll be lucky if it ever turns out half as playable as No Man's Sky.

It does blow NMS out of the water when it comes to feature-creep and empty hype though, and that's saying something.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
There is a $27,000 "micro"transaction in Star Citizen.

Those guys must wake up every morning wondering how the hell they're still getting away with it.

Ainu

Maybe it was just pure luck but I managed to catalogue all species on my second planet in about 15 minutes, without even really trying. This used to take hours and hours on my previous save. I'll need to check a couple more planets to see if I was lucky or if they changed the creature spawning. I never did get that planet zoology trophy.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Maybe it was just pure luck but I managed to catalogue all species on my second planet in about 15 minutes, without even really trying. This used to take hours and hours on my previous save. I'll need to check a couple more planets to see if I was lucky or if they changed the creature spawning. I never did get that planet zoology trophy.
Quick tip but try and buy the S rank scanner upgrade module, they cost about 250 nanite clusters from the Tech sales booths in Space stations, ever since I got mine I've been getting 20-40k units for every new plant I scan and 40-100k for every animal, nice little constant stream of income.

padr81

Supports
Man City
This looks great I have it on PS4 but haven't played in a fair bit. I put 60-70 hours into it when it first dropped and a few after the foundation update but nothing since. Worth jumping back into?
Does the game have an actual purpose or story now or is it still "get to the centre of the galaxy".
Yes, I am too lazy to just scroll across my library and press start without someone telling me to because if I remember rightly the game took ages to start.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
This looks great I have it on PS4 but haven't played in a fair bit. I put 60-70 hours into it when it first dropped and a few after the foundation update but nothing since. Worth jumping back into?
Does the game have an actual purpose or story now or is it still "get to the centre of the galaxy".
Yes, I am too lazy to just scroll across my library and press start without someone telling me to because if I remember rightly the game took ages to start.
If you got that much time out of the vanilla version then it's definitely worth jumping back in, they have added tons of stuff to the game.

Shark

@NotShark
It’s more than worth jumping back into. I genuinely can’t get over how many massive updates these developers keep dishing out, they’re truly on a mission to make it the vision that was there at the beginning and it’s getting closer and closer. Hello Games deserve a lot of respect imho. The game has a story if you want to go down that route, it has missions, it has a now very deep resource system and most importantly it now has interesting, diverse planets that are worth exploring. In a vehicle or submarines to boot. The content they’ve added is endless.