Gaming No Man's Sky | 25th May New FREE Update: Leviathan

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Cant wait for this, looks like it'll be a great game to just chill out to. Fingers crossed itll have morpheus support too, id imagine No Mans Sky with a morpheus headset and a bag of weed will be some next level Zen shit.

Eriku

Cant wait for this, looks like it'll be a great game to just chill out to. Fingers crossed itll have morpheus support too, id imagine No Mans Sky with a morpheus headset and a bag of weed will be some next level Zen shit.
Yes! :lol:

And a small consolation to those of us who will never go to space!

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Just watched that 18 minute video and I'm really impressed by the amount of unique detail and scope that this will have. Saying that from what I've seen I can't see it actually grabbing me at all, as aimlessly moving about scanning new versions of the same sort of stuff will get old fairly quickly. Will really come down on how engaging they can make it. In the end making something massive, doesn't mean it will be fun to explore for a serious amount of time.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
18 minutes of gameplay. Looks like I'll have to get a PS4.

Also, it's about time NPC were procedurally generated. I've always wondered why GTA, for example, never tried solving the problem of clones around the city with a solution similar to procedural generation.
:eek: I'm going to space out so hard on this game. I might be sold.

It's coming out on pc too, right?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Just watched that 18 minute video and I'm really impressed by the amount of unique detail and scope that this will have. Saying that from what I've seen I can't see it actually grabbing me at all, as aimlessly moving about scanning new versions of the same sort of stuff will get old fairly quickly. Will really come down on how engaging they can make it. In the end making something massive, doesn't mean it will be fun to explore for a serious amount of time.
This is my main worry with the game... looks like it might just get old, quickly.

Sweet Square

Can't remember where I heard this but someone made a great point that in all the gameplay videos, Planets only seem to have one type of environment.
i.e.

.Red/Orange Planets seems to be covered completely in deserts .

.White /Bluely Planets are completely coverage in snow.

.Green/Blue Planets are covered with grass with the odd river here and there.

At the moment there doesn't seem to do any Earth like Planets that have a mixture of different types of environment, which is a bit of a worry.

Last edited:

Raptori

Special needs
Can't remember where I heard this but someone made a great point that in all the gameplay videos, Planets only seem to have one type of environment.
i.e.

.Red/Orange Planets seems to be covered completely in desserts.

.White /Bluely Planets are completely coverage in snow.

.Green/Blue Planets are covered with grass with the odd river here and there.

At the moment there doesn't seem to do any Earth like Planets that have a mixture of different types of environment, which is a bit of a worry.
Yeah I noticed that too, they also don't have any continents or oceans or anything like that - the maps look like they're generated using noise rather than anything like tectonic plates which is a shame. When they're on the planets it looks gorgeous, but if they're homogeneous it'd be a bit disappointing.

Sweet Square

:lol: Fixed it now.
Yeah I noticed that too, they also don't have any continents or oceans or anything like that - the maps look like they're generated using noise rather than anything like tectonic plates which is a shame. When they're on the planets it looks gorgeous, but if they're homogeneous it'd be a bit disappointing.
Yep it's not really what you would describe as a Planet. And I think this is where the game could get very boring very quickly, if all I'm really doing is flying to endless different Minecraft maps and scanning things then I can't see myself lasting very long.

Which would be a shame as I love the old skool science fiction idea in the game. How it's more about exploration and travelling then just blowing stuff up and fighting, but it does seems (at the moment anyway) rather empty.

Raptori

Special needs
Yep it's not really what you would describe as a Planet. And I think this is where the game could get very boring very quickly, if all I'm really doing is flying to endless different Minecraft maps and scanning things then I can't see myself lasting very long.

Which would be a shame as I love the old skool science fiction idea in the game. How it's more about exploration and travelling then just blowing stuff up and fighting, but it does seems (at the moment anyway) rather empty.
Yeah exactly. Hopefully they're just trying to hold back some of the more important aspects of the gameplay for future announcements, there have been a few hints that there's something more to it - the mentions of the center of the galaxy for example.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
More importantly, the space combat and gunplay looks a bit janky.... hopefully they'll tune it

Eriku

Blaaaaaaaargh! I want news! I want to know when I can expect to whiz around and explore space!

This is so close to my dreams... I guess I should count my blessings, in that the company are neverminding a release date until they know they have finished the game they want to.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think they'll end up biting off more than they can chew... Still, I'll remain hopeful.

Shark

@NotShark
Quiet, you!

Also; why?

I love the idea of this game but procedurally generating that many random planets will surely dilute the effect. It's going to get boring fast. Fly to planet. Walk around. Mine stuff. Look at animals. Leave the planet. I'm sure the procedurally generated planets will eventually start looking the same.

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
I love the idea of this game but procedurally generating that many random planets will surely dilute the effect. It's going to get boring fast. Fly to planet. Walk around. Mine stuff. Look at animals. Leave the planet. I'm sure the procedurally generated planets will eventually start looking the same.
I have the same reservations as well. I liked the demo but I fear the novelty will wear off quickly.

Raptori

Special needs
Yeah, the question at this point is whether or not there is enough drive to the gameplay. From what the developer said in the interviews there's something there that they haven't shown yet, but since we have no idea what it is it's fair to have huge reservations about it.

Deleted member 78215

There needs to be some capacity to build your own civilisation or something.

Imagine colonising a planet and then interacting with other player-controlled planets. Would be awesome. An option to trade with, ally with, or fight against.

Eriku

I dunno... tinkering with elements, recombining, gaining abilities to upgrade your vessel and travel further. Space combat, space trading, exploring and mining... And as has been pointed out, we don't know the full gist of the mechanics in this game yet.

Then you have the thing that you can break free of a planet's gravity and float in space, look around, point to a distant star and try to make your way there... This is a dream for many people.

I reckon it'll hold my interest for a while :)

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This won't be out this year IMO. Probably not even next year, it's just become a bit of a myth.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
There needs to be some capacity to build your own civilisation or something.

Imagine colonising a planet and then interacting with other player-controlled planets. Would be awesome. An option to trade with, ally with, or fight against.
Given the sheer size of it I doubt you'd be likely to bump into any other players

Deleted member 78215

Given the sheer size of it I doubt you'd be likely to bump into any other players
They could constrain it for online play.

Purposeless wandering through virtual randomness seems as depressing as doing so in reality.

Eriku

This won't be out this year IMO. Probably not even next year, it's just become a bit of a myth.
Buh? All estimates point to this being out before 2015 is up. The fact that they've had so many vid recording sessions with IGN point to the product being close to done.

Sarni

They could constrain it for online play.

Purposeless wandering through virtual randomness seems as depressing as doing so in reality.
It sounds chilling to be fair.

Eriku

Love the sound-effect every time something was claimed by Colbert's user. "Mine!" :lol:

Ffs... I want this NOW! I really hope that it's going to be out before the year is up.

Sarni

Love the sound-effect every time something was claimed by Colbert's user. "Mine!" :lol:

Ffs... I want this NOW! I really hope that it's going to be out before the year is up.
It's not. It won't even be released in 2016 I think, if so then very late into 2016. They've been branding this for ages already with no firm release date or even release window, they will just keep working on it forever and eventually release it very late.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
It strikes me as though they created the tech that enables them to procedurally create all these worlds, and are now trying to build a game around it.

The numbers are amazing when you hear them - 18 trillion planets, for example - but this could also be its undoing - unless they find a way to 'package' them. The idea of a game where you can explore and name things is, in a sense, intriguing, but with that many planets it seems entirely possible that you could play it for days / weeks without ever visiting somewhere that someone else has been.

Is exploring in a vacuum really that interesting?

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
It strikes me as though they created the tech that enables them to procedurally create all these worlds, and are now trying to build a game around it.

The numbers are amazing when you hear them - 18 trillion planets, for example - but this could also be its undoing - unless they find a way to 'package' them. The idea of a game where you can explore and name things is, in a sense, intriguing, but with that many planets it seems entirely possible that you could play it for days / weeks without ever visiting somewhere that someone else has been.

Is exploring in a vacuum really that interesting?
It's actually 18 Quintillion planets, which translates to 18,000,000 trillion ..... :eek:

Cina

Despite the size of it, it doesn't really look like there's an awful lot of depth to the game.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
It's actually 18 Quintillion planets, which translates to 18,000,000 trillion ..... :eek:
It is unbelievable - but in my mind there must be a scale of diminishing returns - at what point is it so big to almost be irrelevant? With that number, you have to assume it is entirely possible to play through without ever visiting a world where someone else has been, or ever bump into another player.

I guess the game will live or die on the gameplay mechanics that address this.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
It is unbelievable - but in my mind there must be a scale of diminishing returns - at what point is it so big to almost be irrelevant? With that number, you have to assume it is entirely possible to play through without ever visiting a world where someone else has been, or ever bump into another player.

I guess the game will live or die on the gameplay mechanics that address this.
Yeah hopefully the stuff they've been holding back about the game is intriguing enough to keep you coming back, Murray has been very explicit in pointing out he really does not want to show everything you do in the game off and has just been showing the main basics so that theres a sense of discovery/wonder for the players when they play it, he also says he doesnt want to show off doing all these things because then people will just go in and do precicely whats been shown to them rather than find their own way and just natuarly discover what do do and the overarching mystery about this universe.

I'd imagine the closer you get to the centre of the universe then the chances of you bumping into another player will increase as more people will populate a smaller area

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
He did mention things like trading, combat, wars, etc. in the e3 demo so I guess they are just holding that back for later or still working on those aspects.